The CBB

Discuss constructed languages, cultures, worlds, related sciences and much more!
It is currently Sun 22 Oct 2017, 00:12

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1537 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu 31 Aug 2017, 11:24 
runic
runic
User avatar

Joined: Sat 22 Nov 2014, 04:48
Posts: 2739
Keenir wrote:
elemtilas wrote:
Clearly my good sir, Keenir has come back to us from some far distant corner of the polyverse where the named work is, in fact, a thing. [>_<] [O.O]


(unless the faulty memory is also - unawares to my awareness - a glimpse at another corner of the polyverse)


Ah, very likely to be the case! Memories of that elusive Elsewhere...

_________________
Image




If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 04 Sep 2017, 09:25 
fire
fire
User avatar

Joined: Sat 14 Aug 2010, 18:38
Posts: 5587
Location: SouthEast Michigan
elemtilas wrote:
Keenir wrote:
(unless the faulty memory is also - unawares to my awareness - a glimpse at another corner of the polyverse)

Ah, very likely to be the case! Memories of that elusive Elsewhere...

Anyone who has ever been married surely believes on the basis of personal experience that, not only are there alternative futures, there are also alternative pasts.
When one person remembers an event one way and their spouse remembers it the other way, clearly the simplest and most Occam's-Razor-compatible explanation is, that they have arrived (all unawares until just now) from alternate histories.




Also; when the numbers on the scale your spouse steps on are higher than they were previously, that is clearly because the Earth's gravitational force has fluctuated.
(It's just too far-fetched to think that they've gained weight.)

_________________
My minicity is http://gonabebig1day.myminicity.com/xml


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 04 Sep 2017, 11:26 
earth
earth
User avatar

Joined: Sun 13 May 2012, 01:57
Posts: 7101
@Eldin

[+1]
[xD]
Spoiler: show
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha :roll: ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 04 Sep 2017, 14:33 
runic
runic
User avatar

Joined: Sat 22 Nov 2014, 04:48
Posts: 2739
eldin raigmore wrote:
elemtilas wrote:
Memories of that elusive Elsewhere...

Anyone who has ever been married surely believes on the basis of personal experience that, not only are there alternative futures, there are also alternative pasts.
When one person remembers an event one way and their spouse remembers it the other way, clearly the simplest and most Occam's-Razor-compatible explanation is, that they have arrived (all unawares until just now) from alternate histories.


How true!

At the risk of raising the ire of the Defamationists and other assorted tan bechemised Busybodies, anyone who has lived within that Blessed Estate knows that, in truth, Occam's Razor only cuts one way in this circumstance: Hers is the true Reality, usassailable, brooking no argument; thine is the misremembered and illformed phantasy!, surely the application of Her sound Logic & firm Reason will enlighten a poor boy of his folly, if only he would open his eyes and see the Truth of all things!

_________________
Image




If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 04 Sep 2017, 16:16 
greek
greek
User avatar

Joined: Fri 11 Mar 2011, 21:11
Posts: 777
There is just one reality...
man rules the world for the pleasure of woman...
woman rules man for her pleasure...
(Is that sociobiology...)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 20 Sep 2017, 21:36 
korean
korean
User avatar

Joined: Sun 20 Oct 2013, 01:57
Posts: 5917
Location: Tom-ʾEzru lit Yat-Vṛḵažu
Do the majority of the rivers of the world travel towards the equator or just southwards?

_________________
Image Ӯсцӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image ʾEšd Yatvṛḵažaẇ (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 20 Sep 2017, 22:17 
greek
greek
User avatar

Joined: Fri 11 Mar 2011, 21:11
Posts: 777
Image
difficult to say...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 20 Sep 2017, 22:21 
korean
korean
User avatar

Joined: Sun 20 Oct 2013, 01:57
Posts: 5917
Location: Tom-ʾEzru lit Yat-Vṛḵažu
Maybe there is some connection between river directions and the trade winds. Otherwise, running towards the equator makes alot of sense.

Also I've been looking for a map like that for ages.

_________________
Image Ӯсцӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image ʾEšd Yatvṛḵažaẇ (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 20 Sep 2017, 22:49 
MVP
MVP
User avatar

Joined: Wed 07 Aug 2013, 00:26
Posts: 671
Location: displaced from Helsinki
Ahzoh wrote:
Maybe there is some connection between river directions and the trade winds. Otherwise, running towards the equator makes alot of sense.


You are kind of assuming here that there forces that can make rivers run against gravity. On flatter land erosion has a say on gradually changing the paths of rivers but they'll still flow where gravity takes them, i.e. downhill. There's a certain logic in saying that the centrifugal force caused by Earth's rotation should give rivers a push towards the equator, but in fact it already pushes the planet's rocky body the same way, making it slightly squashed. This means that the surfaces of constant gravity are also deformed, bulging at the equator, and the downward direction where the apparent gravity points isn't exactly towards the centre of the planet. In the end, it's still just topography that makes rivers flow where they do.

_________________
ImageKištaLkal sikSeicMyths and beliefs of the Kišta (pdf)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 20 Sep 2017, 23:41 
runic
runic
User avatar

Joined: Sat 22 Nov 2014, 04:48
Posts: 2739
gach wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:
Maybe there is some connection between river directions and the trade winds. Otherwise, running towards the equator makes alot of sense.


You are kind of assuming here that there forces that can make rivers run against gravity. On flatter land erosion has a say on gradually changing the paths of rivers but they'll still flow where gravity takes them, i.e. downhill. There's a certain logic in saying that the centrifugal force caused by Earth's rotation should give rivers a push towards the equator, but in fact it already pushes the planet's rocky body the same way, making it slightly squashed. This means that the surfaces of constant gravity are also deformed, bulging at the equator, and the downward direction where the apparent gravity points isn't exactly towards the centre of the planet. In the end, it's still just topography that makes rivers flow where they do.


Right. That whole "rivers flow (generally) to the South", towards the equator, was really only valid back during the Shenhua Epochs of Earth's history. Of course, this was well back in geological history, before the Reshaping. The shape of the Earth during those early periods, travelling towards the equator really did mean a (slightly) downward shift in elevation and it certainly made sense for rivers to, by and by, ultimately flow in that direction.

Can still see some evidences of this tendency in the flow direction of the most ancient of Earth's rivers. Even those that now flow northwards, originally were part of lengthier rivers that flowed eventually equatorwards. The (modern) Meuse, though it now flows northwards, simply emptied into the great Archaeomanica River that eventually flowed into the southern sea. Also of note is the Susquehanna which did and still does flow entirely equatorwards, and also the New which at one time flowed west-southwestwards, then southwards into the Mississippian Embayment and thence to the southern sea towards the equator.

_________________
Image




If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 21 Sep 2017, 00:51 
rupestrian
rupestrian
User avatar

Joined: Tue 05 Sep 2017, 13:03
Posts: 16
Location: Cambridge, UK
In general (once the earth's had a long time to settle down into an equilibrium state), as a physicist (but not a geophysicist), I can't see any reason to favour any particular direction because, in general, on geological timescales, the crust's pretty good at settling into an equipotential surface. The main effect forcing river formation are orogeny (which is itself affected by plate tectonics, which could pick up an orientation from the rotation of the core I guess but I'm not sure what directions it'd prefer). Prevailing winds could be a very tiny effect helping gouge rivers into mountains and they'd encourage east-west (or vice versa, depending on latitude) rivers.

Looking at the map and doing some very orugh and unscientific guesswork of numbers most of the rivers look diagonal to me with only a few exceptions (although those exceptions are big ones: the Danube, Ganges, and Amazon all run approximately west->east and the Nile runs approximately south->north)

_________________
My pronouns are they/them/their

:gbr: native | :esp: fluentish | :deu: learning | :fra: learning | :rus: learning | :ell: lapsed | :navi: lapsed | :con: making a bunch


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 21 Sep 2017, 19:31 
fire
fire
User avatar

Joined: Sat 14 Aug 2010, 18:38
Posts: 5587
Location: SouthEast Michigan
esoanem wrote:
.... The main effect forcing river formation are orogeny ....

Didn't the Amazon reverse direction because of the rise of the Andes?
Isn't that the reason for vaquitas (fresh-water river dolphins) evolving in South America?

_________________
My minicity is http://gonabebig1day.myminicity.com/xml


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 21 Sep 2017, 19:39 
mongolian
mongolian
User avatar

Joined: Thu 20 Nov 2014, 02:27
Posts: 4228
eldin raigmore wrote:
esoanem wrote:
.... The main effect forcing river formation are orogeny ....

Didn't the Amazon reverse direction because of the rise of the Andes?
Isn't that the reason for vaquitas (fresh-water river dolphins) evolving in South America?

Yep!
(Picture below of open-mouthed bufeo, possibly not for the squeamish)
Spoiler: show
Image
(Aren't they so cute!)

_________________
Spoiler: show
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland

What is made of man will crumble away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 23 Sep 2017, 00:29 
fire
fire
User avatar

Joined: Sat 14 Aug 2010, 18:38
Posts: 5587
Location: SouthEast Michigan
After the Andes blocked the Amazon's route to the ocean, but before the Amazon finished reversing its course;
wasn't there a very big lake near the foothills of the Andes, fed by the Amazon?
And isn't that where/when the freshwater porpoises evolved?

_________________
My minicity is http://gonabebig1day.myminicity.com/xml


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 11 Oct 2017, 14:36 
sinic
sinic

Joined: Wed 20 Jul 2016, 16:49
Posts: 347
Is anyone else concerned that a conculture built from the ground up may be too similar to another IRL culture? I understand that some resemblance is inevitable due to environmental, religious, political, and cultural factors, I just want them to be different enough.

The current conculture I'm working on inhabits a river valley in a desert, and I'm afraid it may end up being too similar to ancient Egypt or Mesopotamia.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 11 Oct 2017, 15:43 
roman
roman

Joined: Wed 11 Feb 2015, 11:23
Posts: 1345
LinguoFranco wrote:
Is anyone else concerned that a conculture built from the ground up may be too similar to another IRL culture? I understand that some resemblance is inevitable due to environmental, religious, political, and cultural factors, I just want them to be different enough.

The current conculture I'm working on inhabits a river valley in a desert, and I'm afraid it may end up being too similar to ancient Egypt or Mesopotamia.

It's definitely my concern, yes. But there is also something to be said about derivation. If you intend to share that conculture with others in any form, it's way easier for people to relate to it than if it were completely foreign. I guess that's also the reason why so few conworlds don't have humans.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct 2017, 08:40 
mayan
mayan

Joined: Tue 22 May 2012, 02:05
Posts: 2435
eldin raigmore wrote:
After the Andes blocked the Amazon's route to the ocean, but before the Amazon finished reversing its course;
wasn't there a very big lake near the foothills of the Andes, fed by the Amazon?


that would probably explain why, when the Octonauts' globe was shown (earth day special), there was a huge lake in that part of South America.

_________________
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1537 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.