The Conculture/Conpeople Opinions Thread

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
User avatar
Pabappa
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 172
Joined: Sat 18 Nov 2017, 02:41
Contact:

Re: The Conculture/Conpeople Opinions Thread

Post by Pabappa » Thu 15 Mar 2018, 01:45

elemtilas wrote:
Sun 25 Feb 2018, 02:30

I had a bit of a look there: some interesting concepts! Of course, I'd like to hear more the idea of "lack of sin". But I do wonder how this is squared with the concept of blasphemy and its really rather terrible sounding punishments!
Thanks. Blasphemy does not harm anyone, but it is proof of a spiritual impostor, one who has been disowned by the savior god, Màlamen. Màlamen would not let her followers commit blasphemy because Màlamen is the one to whom they are praying. Therefore anyone who stumbles in a prayer does not actually belong to Màlamen, and since no other god can provide salvation, people who commit blasphemy cannot attain salvation and are undeserving of compassion. Killing and enslaving blasphemers is therefore not a punishment, but an expression of the power and beauty of the savior god, Màlamen, and of her divine vision of the world in which her people will enjoy the best things the world has to offer while her enemies toil day and night in the hopes of living another day. Some slaves have at times tried to pray to other gods for help, but no other god has ever come to help them, and therefore they know that their slavery is eternal and will be passed on to their children.
Also, I can only find one reference to the word "prayer", so I'll have to ask here: what does it mean "those who are allowed to pray..." Another interesting concept!
Thank you. One needs a clear mind to communicate with the spirit world ... not just with Màlamen, but with any god or spirit. If someone without a clear mind attempts to communicate with the spirit world, they will not be able to hear the response, and only a two-way conversation can get things done. Therefore, people with this ability are the only ones whose prayers will be answered, and it is their job to take the prayer requests of the general population.

I'll be posting more information on the wiki from time to time, but for now, I consider even this small amount of information better than the much longer writeup I previously had at http://kneequickie.com/archive/Tarwataf . I've made a few small edits on the FrathWiki page for now.

÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷

K'anerhtóh sounds interesting. I remember reading about it somewhere else on this board but I dont remember much besides that it has a very cold climate.
Evynova wrote:
Tue 06 Mar 2018, 20:10
÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷
Next: is inheritance a thing in your conculture? Will one inherit the wealth of a deceased parent and if so, who, how and in what measure?
Definitely. In all of my main cultures, there is a writing system and a means of keeping a record of a person's will. Married couples' property is held jointly, and therefore the will of a married couple is also filed jointly, but most cultures "lean feminist" in the sense that the wife has more rights to sell or transfer this shared property than does the husband. When the husband dies, the property becomes hers alone. If the wife dies first instead, the property is sectioned off according to the will agreed upon at the beginning of the marriage, and amended after the birth of each child. It is illegal for a will to completely cut out the children; on the other hand, it is legal for a couple to sell or donate their property to one child (or even a friend) while they are alive, therefore removing the property from the domain of their will, and leaving the inheritance empty.

÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷
Next: Is advertising allowed? What government restrictions are there on corporate advertisements? Can companies lie about their products? Can they lie about competitors, or about other things? Can
Image
User avatar
Reyzadren
sinic
sinic
Posts: 325
Joined: Sun 14 May 2017, 09:39
Contact:

Re: The Conculture/Conpeople Opinions Thread

Post by Reyzadren » Sat 17 Mar 2018, 22:39

Pabappa wrote:
Thu 15 Mar 2018, 01:45
Next: Is advertising allowed? What government restrictions are there on corporate advertisements? Can companies lie about their products? Can they lie about competitors, or about other things? Can
In a particular relevant region in the conworld, the entire area is literally advertising-fuelled, think gigantic shopping mall with Black Friday turned up to eleven, like a tribute to ultimate consumerism. There are ads everywhere: brochures, billboards, buildings, floors, in the air, devices, fireplaces, mugs and even in the bathroom. It is known that there aren't government restrictions on ads in most countries elsewhere, though this place is the extreme example.


Next question: Toilets in your conworld, natural/artificial etc?
Image Soundcloud Profile | Image griuskant conlang
User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 3167
Joined: Sat 22 Nov 2014, 04:48

Re: The Conculture/Conpeople Opinions Thread

Post by elemtilas » Thu 29 Mar 2018, 01:23

Pabappa wrote:
Thu 15 Mar 2018, 01:45
elemtilas wrote:
Sun 25 Feb 2018, 02:30

I had a bit of a look there: some interesting concepts! Of course, I'd like to hear more the idea of "lack of sin". But I do wonder how this is squared with the concept of blasphemy and its really rather terrible sounding punishments!
Thanks. Blasphemy does not harm anyone, but it is proof of a spiritual impostor, one who has been disowned by the savior god, Màlamen. Màlamen would not let her followers commit blasphemy because Màlamen is the one to whom they are praying. Therefore anyone who stumbles in a prayer does not actually belong to Màlamen, and since no other god can provide salvation, people who commit blasphemy cannot attain salvation and are undeserving of compassion. Killing and enslaving blasphemers is therefore not a punishment, but an expression of the power and beauty of the savior god, Màlamen, and of her divine vision of the world in which her people will enjoy the best things the world has to offer while her enemies toil day and night in the hopes of living another day. Some slaves have at times tried to pray to other gods for help, but no other god has ever come to help them, and therefore they know that their slavery is eternal and will be passed on to their children.
What counts as "stumbling in prayer"? Forgetting the words? An inopportune coughing jag?

Pabappa wrote:
Thu 15 Mar 2018, 01:45
Also, I can only find one reference to the word "prayer", so I'll have to ask here: what does it mean "those who are allowed to pray..." Another interesting concept!
Thank you. One needs a clear mind to communicate with the spirit world ... not just with Màlamen, but with any god or spirit. If someone without a clear mind attempts to communicate with the spirit world, they will not be able to hear the response, and only a two-way conversation can get things done. Therefore, people with this ability are the only ones whose prayers will be answered, and it is their job to take the prayer requests of the general population.
Understood, and makes sense within this context!
Image

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
User avatar
Lambuzhao
earth
earth
Posts: 7552
Joined: Sun 13 May 2012, 01:57

Re: The Conculture/Conpeople Opinions Thread

Post by Lambuzhao » Thu 29 Mar 2018, 17:07

So, where is Vibranium supposed to be on the Periodic Table? A rare earthly 'Isle of Stability' Lanthanide? An alkaline earthly metallic cousin to Beryllium, Magnesium, Calcium, Strontium and Barium?
User avatar
Pabappa
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 172
Joined: Sat 18 Nov 2017, 02:41
Contact:

Re: The Conculture/Conpeople Opinions Thread

Post by Pabappa » Sun 15 Apr 2018, 00:41

elemtilas wrote:
Thu 29 Mar 2018, 01:23
What counts as "stumbling in prayer"? Forgetting the words? An inopportune coughing jag?
This varies from place to place. Ridia is big on rules and regulations by design, but each priest is given broad authority to create those rules rather than relying on a universal higher authority. This is because these priests are also involved with interpreting and enforcing the law, and therefore they see the religious rules and the secular laws as part of the same sphere of influence. Just as laws vary from place to place, so do the definitions of blasphemy and other religious ideas.

However, the coughing would probably be seen as a mere unfortunate coincidence, since all Ridians believe that disease is *caused* by the gods, and therefore they do not look to the gods for healing. Neither is there any concept of demonic possession ... what modern Western culture might think of as possession is to them simply one of the many things that happen to people who are rejected by the savior, and comes from the person's own nature, not from an evil spirit. Again I'll post more on the wiki page when I can. My work on the religion is very slow compared to my work on languages and other things.
Reyzadren wrote:
Sat 17 Mar 2018, 22:39

Next question: Toilets in your conworld, natural/artificial etc?
Im a germaphobe, and I have a tendency to give off my own personal biases into those of the people of planet Teppala. However, even the most advanced of the societies on Teppala is comparable to medieval times on Earth, so they would not have something as advanced as a modern bathroom. On the other hand, they would be right at home if they were transported into one, since one trait common to all of the cultures on the planet is that they like to keep clean. The only possible exception might be cultures like Moonshine where the climate is so cold that pathogens like those we're used to simply can't survive. Even a cold virus can get cold in the far north. Also, the cold climate settlements are never more than a mile or so from the ocean, and most live much closer than that.

Any society that has paper will also have toilet paper, but it may be prohibitively expensive due to the difficulty in manufacture. Without toilet paper, there is probably no need for a proper toilet, though people would still be expected to wash their hands in one way or another after their visit. Some form of soap is used in every society, and cloth diapers are worn even in climates where adults are ordinarily naked.



÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷

Can female forms be divine? What would your conpeople think of the modern Western concept of female angels? How about childlike "cherub" forms?
Image
User avatar
Axiem
sinic
sinic
Posts: 389
Joined: Sat 10 Sep 2016, 05:56

Re: The Conculture/Conpeople Opinions Thread

Post by Axiem » Mon 16 Apr 2018, 05:17

Pabappa wrote:
Sun 15 Apr 2018, 00:41
Can female forms be divine? What would your conpeople think of the modern Western concept of female angels? How about childlike "cherub" forms?
The deities of Mto have unambiguously male (e.g. Qlazh, the Hunter) nonbinary (e.g. Inoul, the Entertainer), and unambiguously female (e.g. Anadiel) deities. So to an average Mto citizen, the idea that there wouldn't be female deities is weird. The sort of thing you might only have in fantasy stories.

Focusing in on Entleis, which ends up being a nation that has a particularly close relationship with Anadiel in particular, that detail doesn't change.

The deities on Mto also all have their cadre of "angels" (as the various words would be translated into English). These tend to be people who were particularly devoted to the deity in life, and were elevated to angelic status after death; they act as messengers from the deity, along with sometimes being advocates on behalf of humans. In particular, a deity's angels often end up being a bit more focused in domains/interests, similar to the Catholic idea of saints. So from the perspective of someone on Mto, of course angels can be male or female (or whatever in-between).

I'm not entirely sure what's meant by "the modern Western concept of female angels"; my general understanding (absent research) is that the general belief is that angels are gender-neutral, but are generally depicted and described as having masculine characteristics. The people of Mto would find this gender imbalance a little weird, on the whole.

As for cherubim, that would just be utterly bizarre to an average Mto citizen. They'd think it very, very weird, mostly because they'd not be familiar with any angels that were that young (I think the youngest was probably a teenager when they died), and would wonder at the whole thing.

This is, however, also heavily influenced by the fact that Mto cosmology is rather different from our own in regards to things like deities and angels.

Next: what would your conpeople think of Dungeons &Dragons?
Conworld: Mto
:con: : Kuvian
User avatar
fruityloops
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed 04 Oct 2017, 03:09

Re: The Conculture/Conpeople Opinions Thread

Post by fruityloops » Fri 11 May 2018, 19:48

Axiem wrote:
Mon 16 Apr 2018, 05:17
Pabappa wrote:
Sun 15 Apr 2018, 00:41
Can female forms be divine? What would your conpeople think of the modern Western concept of female angels? How about childlike "cherub" forms?
The deities of Mto have unambiguously male (e.g. Qlazh, the Hunter) nonbinary (e.g. Inoul, the Entertainer), and unambiguously female (e.g. Anadiel) deities. So to an average Mto citizen, the idea that there wouldn't be female deities is weird. The sort of thing you might only have in fantasy stories.

Focusing in on Entleis, which ends up being a nation that has a particularly close relationship with Anadiel in particular, that detail doesn't change.

The deities on Mto also all have their cadre of "angels" (as the various words would be translated into English). These tend to be people who were particularly devoted to the deity in life, and were elevated to angelic status after death; they act as messengers from the deity, along with sometimes being advocates on behalf of humans. In particular, a deity's angels often end up being a bit more focused in domains/interests, similar to the Catholic idea of saints. So from the perspective of someone on Mto, of course angels can be male or female (or whatever in-between).

I'm not entirely sure what's meant by "the modern Western concept of female angels"; my general understanding (absent research) is that the general belief is that angels are gender-neutral, but are generally depicted and described as having masculine characteristics. The people of Mto would find this gender imbalance a little weird, on the whole.

As for cherubim, that would just be utterly bizarre to an average Mto citizen. They'd think it very, very weird, mostly because they'd not be familiar with any angels that were that young (I think the youngest was probably a teenager when they died), and would wonder at the whole thing.

This is, however, also heavily influenced by the fact that Mto cosmology is rather different from our own in regards to things like deities and angels.

Next: what would your conpeople think of Dungeons &Dragons?
hmmmm, hard question but let's see here. they would most definitely not like alignment system. in my conworld, good and evil or contemporary morality does not exist. it's replaced with the ideas of being prey or being the predator. basically, the aggressor and the oppressed. Most herbivorous races lean towards being prey-ish where as the a carnivorous races are more predatory. this may change depending on who is being the aggressor and who is the oppressed but you get the idea.

they'll find the system odd for sure. many of my races are about the size of a person's thumb and may have some trouble rolling dice as that requires tossing it to hovering over it to see what it is.

so if you ever wanted to play a game with a sapitent bug, it's not gonna be easy.

if someone in your conculture disobeyed the law, what would happen?
User avatar
Reyzadren
sinic
sinic
Posts: 325
Joined: Sun 14 May 2017, 09:39
Contact:

Re: The Conculture/Conpeople Opinions Thread

Post by Reyzadren » Fri 17 Aug 2018, 22:23

fruityloops wrote:
Fri 11 May 2018, 19:48
if someone in your conculture disobeyed the law, what would happen?
Before any enforcement can take place, the locals would rather take matters into their own hands and deal with the wrong-doer accordingly, if one really manages to piss them off so badly.

Next question: Inaccessible or hard-to-reach places in your conworld?
Image Soundcloud Profile | Image griuskant conlang
User avatar
Axiem
sinic
sinic
Posts: 389
Joined: Sat 10 Sep 2016, 05:56

Re: The Conculture/Conpeople Opinions Thread

Post by Axiem » Sat 18 Aug 2018, 01:40

Reyzadren wrote:
Fri 17 Aug 2018, 22:23
Next question: Inaccessible or hard-to-reach places in your conworld?
There's an island in the middle of the Eastern Ocean (for which I still need a better name) that's a perfect square, with sheer stone sides that go straight up a good hundred or two hundred feet. The stone itself is enchanted enough to make it nigh impossible to climb, and it doesn't seem to be wearing away. In general knowledge, no one really knows what's up there; it's just kind of a mystery.

Next: how do they do laundry?
Conworld: Mto
:con: : Kuvian
User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 3167
Joined: Sat 22 Nov 2014, 04:48

Re: The Conculture/Conpeople Opinions Thread

Post by elemtilas » Sat 18 Aug 2018, 02:56

Axiem wrote:
Sat 18 Aug 2018, 01:40
Reyzadren wrote:
Fri 17 Aug 2018, 22:23
Next question: Inaccessible or hard-to-reach places in your conworld?
There's an island in the middle of the Eastern Ocean (for which I still need a better name) that's a perfect square, with sheer stone sides that go straight up a good hundred or two hundred feet. The stone itself is enchanted enough to make it nigh impossible to climb, and it doesn't seem to be wearing away. In general knowledge, no one really knows what's up there; it's just kind of a mystery.
The Rocks of Ryb'iq?
Next: how do they do laundry?


Now this is a rather interesting question, on account there being a strange sort of inverse proportionality law here. Generally speaking, among all the peoples of Gea that I'm aware of, it's the people who wear the least clothing that seem to do the best job of laundering what little they've got; while those as cover themselves all over, seem to be most mistrustful of the dreaded L-word.

For the Daine of the Eastlands, the matter is fairly straightforward. When they visit a bath house, maybe as a family or a group of friends, they'll just take such clothing as they have with them and wash it in special stone tubs made for the purpose. The wash room has bronze or brass rods suspended from the ceiling where people can hang their clothes while they're seeing to their own baths. That done, they'll retrieve their clothes and head outside into the gardens where everyone and their clean laundry can air dry. Just keep an Eye on the little ones, as they're prone to find some bit of dust or grass to roll around in, thus negating all your efforts at getting them clean in the first place! Now, if it's pouring with rain when they go out, well that's not great tragedy. They're already soaking wet from the baths, so, just have a nice stroll home in the rain and when they get into the foyer, they'll call for someone inside to bring cloths so everyone can dry off a bit. Then, relax for a bit before the fire either in the hall or perhaps in the kitchen. A Daine's feathers are quite hydrophobic, and their hair less so. A good shake and firm wing-stroke or two will send most of the water away from them.

For Men in the Eastlands, many folk will simply find a convenient stony stream or aqueduct overflow drain or millrace to wash in. Clothing as well as themselves. Men generally keep a wider variety of even basic clothing than do Daine, so this can be quite the chore. Public baths are available to Men, where a very modest fee is charged for their use. Laundry services cost extra. People whose accomodations include a semi-private bath house will still have to take their laundry to the stream or to a laundry service. Who will in turn, most likely, take the clothes down to the stream and wash them down there! Some laundries make use of waterwheel power to churn large laundry apparatus inside the premises and great fans to help in the drying process.

On the other hand, Men folk up in the dark Northlands, who wear large capes and broad kilts and baggy trousers and several layers of tunics, well, let's just say it would probably be better if they just made a new tunic & trousers every year... Some folks will weave a kind of heart shaped network out of stiff reeds & supple twigs and beat as much dust out of the outer layers of clothing as they can.

Now, for those folks who can afford the supreme in luxury, there are thaumological devices finel crafted to aid in this essential domestic task.

Image

Handfast Maytagge, 67th Earl of Entwhistle Dale early in life developed an interest in keeping things tidy and clean. Simple enchanted broomsticks were not enough to satisfy, so he began designing enchanted devices that would clean things automatically. One of his more enduring designs was the Maytagge Self Actuating Laudry Board Mechanism with Attached Wringer. This was a thaumological device that was enchanted to lather, wash, rub and rinse articles of clothing automatically. Unlike many magical devices that often show signs of erratic behavior, Maytagge has considerable fame as a designer of solidly built and trouble free thaumic machines.

The Self Actuating Laundry device consists of a wash tub with attached board and thamically activated arms that wash the clothes, rinse them and send them through the wringer. There have been some accounts of the wash tubs rising up on their feet and taking the wash out to hang on the line, but Maytagge's workshop aver that this is not a standard design parameter. Other, stranger, accounts involve wild dances where the chugging rhythms of the Laundry Device have charmed any cutlery in the vicinty to engage in a lively jig. Such reports, alas, remain unconfirmed; however the maid staff of Dame Vargand, baroness of Southwald, aver that not only did the old tomcat take up Dame Vargand's grandfather's fiddle but played upon it a merry contradance, and also that the baroness's cows began to make capers, while the neighborhood dogs took to laughing to see such sport. And, just before the Laundry was all wrung, the gardener reports that he saw the dishes pair up with the spoons and hop-scotch their way into the woods, as if dancing in some sort of serpentine bouree.

Next: Whether positively or negatively regarded, how to people in your culture view those in authority, and what do they wish might change?
Image

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
User avatar
eldin raigmore
fire
fire
Posts: 6158
Joined: Sat 14 Aug 2010, 18:38
Location: SouthEast Michigan

Re: The Conculture/Conpeople Opinions Thread

Post by eldin raigmore » Sat 18 Aug 2018, 22:22

[B)] Cool, elemtilas!
Post Reply