Are your main conpeople human or of a different species?

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
WeepingElf
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: Are your main conpeople human or of a different species?

Post by WeepingElf » Fri 15 Dec 2017, 20:59

All my current con-people are human - including the Elves. This has two reasons: First, the Elvenpath is a historical fantasy setting in which the Elves exist in a version of the real world, and we know pretty much for sure that there never were any kind of immortal, magical, pointy-eared humanoids anywhere on this planet. Second, and more importantly, the "purpose" of this subcreation is to narrate my thoughts and feelings about the world and the human condition, and this obviously requires the fictional people to be human - no more, no less.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Anarel
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Anarel » Mon 18 Dec 2017, 11:13

There are two main conpeople in my conworld: the Aezin and the Elan, both of which are "human" and share the same ancestors. In my conworld, all intelligent species were not created by gods/spirits/magic, they are products of evolution and biological diversity with only one exception: the Arunae (explained below).

Anyway, the Aezin and the Elan are descendants of the Ae'n, an ancient people who is said to have lived somewhere around the center of the Elandaer, the Continent of the Elan. At some time in the distant past, the Ae'n split in three main groups that led to what are known today as the Aezin, the Elan and the Arunae, the latter having much small numbers than the others.

-The Aezin are divided in three main groups: Ark-Empire, Mu and Free people. They each have different forms of government, culture, religions and languages, but share common ancestries and customs. Aezin comes in all kinds of ethnics and races: white, black, "brown" and even mongoloid. They are the most varied people in the world, but they all share a common pride and sense of being a unique big community of people. This has not stopped them to hate and make war to each other, though.
-The Elan are also divided in three groups: Naielan, Darelan and Mirelan. They are very different from one another and are almost completely distinct ethnic groups. However, they have a strong sense of unity and community, they consider their differences to be minimal, the "Elan" identity is stronger than the individual distinctions. They have never fought each other in war, although some conflicts have arised through the centuries. Of course, nothing the Naielan could not settle with their crafty teatrises, contracts, agreements, etc.
-The Arunae are a minority and the third group that split from the Ae'n. They are very different from the Aezin and the Elan in that they were influenced and warped by the Dark Mother itself, the Great Darkness Spirit that commands over Fear, Hate, Rage and all other negative feelings. The Arunae can make use of the Dark Energy, a dangerous type of magic that can kill even its user if not used properly. They feed on the energy of others and people have called them "vampires". However, they are not inmortal nor the sun kills them. Fire, beheading and a stake to the heart kills them... but as it would kill any normal man or woman. The Arunae are special for their feeding needs and magic abilities, but this have cursed them with a very low birthrate and very few numbers.

There are other sapient species in the world:
-The Onyàryd, the dragon people. They are basically enormous dragonoids. They are strictly divided in three tribes: Hunters, Warriors and Shamans. They live in what is known as the "Forbidden Continent", a distant land of great mountain ranges, gigantic trees, big animals and of course, the Onyàryd.
-The Nyryd, the Lizard people. This is your typical, classical humanod lizards. They live in tribes and communes on the extensive sabana and the deep jungles.
-The Za'en, a fabled subaquatic sapient species. The Mirelan insist on the existance of the Za'en, but no one has being able to prove it.
-Hundreds of thousands of years ago, before any other sapient species existed, there were Dragons. They are roughly the equivalent of dinosaurs in my conworld.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist » Mon 18 Dec 2017, 13:07

I have a few conworlds and only one of them features non-human sapients at all.
Reyzadren
sinic
sinic

Post by Reyzadren » Sat 23 Dec 2017, 23:51

The conworld that is associated with griuskant has many different species alongside humans. Amongst the animals, plants and ghosts/spirits, there are also other sentient beings such as machines, items/things and even amorphous creatures.

In fact, humans are a subset of the humanoid species, which also includes angels and demons etc, but they are probably not in the same sense as we know it.
Image Soundcloud Profile | Image griuskant conlang
marvelous
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by marvelous » Sat 30 Dec 2017, 13:43

Similar to Tolkien's Arda, my conworld goes through a stage of non-human dominance and a stage of human dominance. During the stage of human dominance, international words still largely come from the ancient lingua franca of the non-human first species. I haven't set any stories in the world and am not sure if I ever will or if this is just for fun, so I can't answer as to which is the "main conpeople." There are also other species with their own languages who could very well end up being the focus of stories.
I am happy to receive constructive criticism.