Proto-Atlantic Society

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Proto-Atlantic Society

Post by Shemtov » Thu 21 Jan 2016, 01:10

Proto-Atlantic society was divided into six classes by birth: four common class and two priestly classes.
The common people were either spelt farmers, potters,smiths or fishermen. The potters and the smiths were considered to be "unnatural" and were thus low on the social rung.
The most important priestly class were the Sacred Carpenters. They were dedicated to Baba Tüksa, the Tree Father. Only Sacred Carpenters could cut down trees or make things from wood. if smiths or potters needed wooded instruments, they needed to pay the Sacred Carpenters great amounts of their products.
The other priestly class was the Sacred Shepherds. They served Mama Lamsa, the Sheep Mother. They would go and separate themselves from society months at a time to herd their flocks. Only a Sacred Shepherd could shear or kill a sheep. Potters and Smiths did not receive sheep meat and also needed to pay the Sacred Shepherds great amounts of their products for wool.
More to come.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Ketumak
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Re: Proto-Atlantic Society

Post by Ketumak » Thu 21 Jan 2016, 20:13

It's an interesting system. I particularly like how potters and smiths are regarded as "unnatural" and therefore lowly. I guess that's because their work is creating things that do not exist in nature and that nature is somehow highly valued in the Proto-Atlantic belief system?

I'm less convinced that a system would charge large amounts for basic products like wood and wool. For one thing, it's an incentive to crime and hard to police in a pre-modern society. Witness all the poaching in medieval England. What's to stop someone chopping down their own tree, or rustling themselves a sheep?

Also I would have thought it made more economic sense for the Sacred Shepherds and Carpenters to sell more units of wood and wool at a lower price.
Good: :fra: :esp: :por: | OK :ita:

Mohai
Curlyjimsam
sinic
sinic

Re: Proto-Atlantic Society

Post by Curlyjimsam » Fri 22 Jan 2016, 22:09

How do the priest classes maintain their control? I mean, what's to stop some ordinary person saying "Sod this, I'm going to go off and raise sheep and I don't care what people think!" (Especially if the Sacred Shepherds are off shepherding and not in a position to interfere.)

(This isn't supposed to be a criticism - I'm sure you could come up with a good explanation - I'm just interested to hear what it would be.)
Twitter: @jsbaker750