(C&C) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Re: (C&C) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by eldin raigmore » Mon 30 Sep 2013, 19:23

SitheseParadox wrote:
eldin raigmore wrote:-Snip-
You wouldn't happen to know if any reputable outlet sells an electronic version, would you?
I got my copy before there was such a thing as Kindle or E-Reader.
So unless Amazon or Google Books does, then no, I don't know.
Any chance Amazon does?
Or go to your local public library, or college or university library, and they'll either have it, or find it for you, and maybe they'll borrow it for you.
Or go to your local bookstore -- Barnes' & Noble's, for instance, or Waldenbooks (or Borders if you live in Ann Arbor MI) -- and they may be able to find it for you.
Any of those sources, or "LibraryThing", may be able to tell you who's trying to sell a used copy, if a hardcopy version would be OK for you.
Or write or otherwise communicate with the publisher -- chances are they'll be happy to tell you where to spend your money on their product.
thetha
darkness
darkness

Post by thetha » Tue 08 Oct 2013, 20:41

Anybody know of any free programs that let you draw out a region and make various kinds of maps for it (topographic, road maps, and so on)? This is of course excluding Paint, I'm talking about something that would let me complete something like that within my lifetime.
Click
darkness
darkness

Post by Click » Wed 09 Oct 2013, 10:28

GIMP?
Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Creyeditor » Wed 09 Oct 2013, 14:15

Teddy wrote:Anybody know of any free programs that let you draw out a region and make various kinds of maps for it (topographic, road maps, and so on)? This is of course excluding Paint, I'm talking about something that would let me complete something like that within my lifetime.
She is using Inkscape, Paint.NET or GIMP (as mentioned by Click) for maps.
Edit: Thanks teddy
Last edited by Creyeditor on Thu 10 Oct 2013, 15:16, edited 1 time in total.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
thetha
darkness
darkness

Post by thetha » Thu 10 Oct 2013, 03:29

Thank you (also thank you Fleur for making the tutorial). I only have paint.NET right now, can it do fractally stuff? To be honest I have no idea how to use it. [:S]

P.S.: Fleur listed her gender as female most recently, so there's no need for slashes. The proper word is pretty unambiguously 'she' (unless Fleur wants us to use some other term of reference of course)
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Tue 15 Oct 2013, 22:31

Probably not a question to answer quickly, but certainly a quick question.

I'm currently working on a basic world map for a new conworld I'm working on. I'm using paint at the moment (because it's only a basic outline and I actually don't know how to use anything else [:P]), and I'm drawing it up as if it were a Plate Carree projection (because I'm boring and I like it), but I know full well that one day I'm going to want to see this planet in other projections, e.g. Mercator, Mollweide, Miller cylindrical, etc.

What I was wondering was, is there anything out there that might be able to convert one projection into another, or would this have to be done by hand?
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Ear of the Sphinx
metal
metal

Post by Ear of the Sphinx » Thu 17 Oct 2013, 10:16

Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Sun 20 Oct 2013, 23:09

Okay, so in my one language class we made cute little paper-plate clocks with the L2
number-words in black for the hours, and in green for the minutes. They could match up the correspondingly-colored hour and minute hands that much faster to be able to read the time from the clock.
You can get an idea from this lesson-plan here:
http://arcmit01.uncw.edu/nelsont/514Tel ... panish.pdf

Or this picture of a "reloj en palabras" (Catalan)
http://www.casaviva.es/media/catalog/pr ... 4582.1.jpg

I made a version in Rozwi. I opted to use straight 5,10,15...50,55 for the minutes.
But it occurred to me how screamingly 20th cent. Western Terran this arrangement seems. I imagine that, in proper Rozwi timekeeping, the minutes until the half-hour would be in the NOM.PL or TEMPORAL.PL, while the minutes from the half to the hour would be in descending order in the ABL.PL...
:?:

I collected what numerical/chronometric threads we've got here:
At...my...leaves for...
http://www.aveneca.com/cbb/viewtopic.ph ... 5D#p120661

Telling the time
http://www.aveneca.com/cbb/viewtopic.ph ... time+pm%5D
Maths 101
http://www.aveneca.com/cbb/viewtopic.ph ... 5D#p106289
Maths 404
http://www.aveneca.com/cbb/viewtopic.ph ... divided%5D

First-

Did I miss any CBB threads about maths/time-reckoning (in translations, at least)?

Second-
If a :con: opts to subtract, multiply and divide using case-endings (cf. Rozwi), then
should they likewise tell time? Versus, for example, using something like the old French/Spanish way with et|moins/y|menos. Maybe this question presupposes a lot, but I'm throwing it out there.

Third-
Anyone else ever make a :con: clock, or construct a :con: clock app for your :con: lang/world?
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Mon 21 Oct 2013, 21:49

Lambuzhao wrote:Second-
If a :con: opts to subtract, multiply and divide using case-endings (cf. Rozwi), then
should they likewise tell time? Versus, for example, using something like the old French/Spanish way with et|moins/y|menos. Maybe this question presupposes a lot, but I'm throwing it out there.
"Should"? I hesitate to say.
"Could (naturally)"? Definitely.
"Do I hope someone will do it?" Yes.
Lambuzhao wrote:Third-
Anyone else ever make a :con: clock, or construct a :con: clock app for your :con: lang/world?
Not me, but as of now I plan to.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Tue 22 Oct 2013, 00:50

I was just wondering what people thought of this (fairly basic sketch of a) world "map"*:

It's a plate carree projection (because I'm boring [:P]) showing only the major land masses and a number of islands with the red, horizontal line being the equator, and for the sake of being boring even further, the dimensions of the planet are roughly similar to those of Earth.

The south-western "twin continent" is supposed to be isolated from the rest of the land masses (hence the lack of inter-continental islands).

If I remember correctly, since a plate carree projection maps coordinates, the land closer to the poles will be thinner on a globe, since each couple of longitudinal coordinates represent points that are closer together, while those at the equator would be relatively wider, with each pair of longitudinal coordinates representing points that are further apart (annoyingly, I can't actually picture this in my head [:P])

I'd generally like to the keep this general layout, changing what might fall out of the realms of plausibility, so, before moving further with this map, I'd be happy to see what people think [:)]

*I'm going to add features to the map gradually, first the height of the land and depth of the seas and oceans, then things like rivers and, later on, settlements, but since this is the first time I've done this sort of thing in-depth, I'm really looking for (constructive) criticism and opinion as I go along [:)]
Just one time.
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Tue 22 Oct 2013, 19:51

sangi39 wrote:I was just wondering what people thought of this (fairly basic sketch of a) world "map"*:
http://i.imgur.com/Phe6aiS.png
I think it's GREAT!
I'm impressed! :!: [:D] [O.O] [:D]
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Tue 22 Oct 2013, 20:23

eldin raigmore wrote:
sangi39 wrote:I was just wondering what people thought of this (fairly basic sketch of a) world "map"*:
http://i.imgur.com/Phe6aiS.png
I think it's GREAT!
Having the same problem I had with Lambuzhao that I had here where I honestly can't tell if that's sarcasm or not :P

Anyway, I've been working on updating the general sketch a little bit, and here it is:
Spoiler:
And a shrunk down version

Just one time.
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Tue 22 Oct 2013, 23:27

sangi39 wrote:
eldin raigmore wrote:I think it's GREAT!
Having the same problem I had with Lambuzhao that I had here where I honestly can't tell if that's sarcasm or not :P
It's sincere, not sarcasm.

sangi39 wrote:Anyway, I've been working on updating the general sketch a little bit, and here ... is a shrunk down version
http://i.imgur.com/9gJq2d3.png
I like that too!
cybrxkhan
mayan
mayan

Post by cybrxkhan » Wed 23 Oct 2013, 03:14

@sangi39: Nice map, though I assume a more finalized version will have more naturalistic island chains, right? (I do that too in my map drafts)
I now have a blog. Witness the horror.

I think I think, therefore I think I am.
- Ambrose Bierce
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Wed 23 Oct 2013, 18:16

eldin raigmore wrote:
sangi39 wrote:
eldin raigmore wrote:I think it's GREAT!
It's sincere, not sarcasm.

sangi39 wrote:Anyway, I've been working on updating the general sketch a little bit, and here ... is a shrunk down version
http://i.imgur.com/9gJq2d3.png
I like that too!
cybrxkhan wrote:@sangi39: Nice map, though I assume a more finalized version will have more naturalistic island chains, right? (I do that too in my map drafts)
Thank you both very much.

@cybrxkhan: This is the first time I've tried working on a proper map (pretty much all of my stuff has either happened on Earth or in a world created by someone else in collaborative conworlds), so whether the island chains would be more realistic in a later version is yet to be seen [:P]

On a related note, though, what would make them more realistic? E.g. is it a question of the shape of the islands, their number or something else? [:)]
Just one time.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Sun 27 Oct 2013, 19:29

In addition to what would make for more realistic islands chains, I'm currently trying to find the best place for mountains to appear. I'm having a little trouble deciding at the moment, since I also can't quite figure out where the tectonic plates would be, so I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on that (or the island issue) [:)]

EDIT: I've just been looking at a list of the Earth's tectonic plates, and I actually had no idea that places like the Iberian peninsula and Anatolia basically sat on there own small tectonic plates. I guess, then, that within reason, I could but tectonic plates almost anywhere [:)]

Although I have been thinking about starting this from the ground up, i.e. size of the world, then tectonic plates, the the movement of tectonic plates, then the continents and islands, etc.
Just one time.
Chagen
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Chagen » Mon 11 Nov 2013, 17:11

How much would you suggest following real-world geography for concountries? One of the reasons I'm reticent to make a map is because all the real-world geography I have to follow if I want a realistic map. I'm not even sure if some of my country concepts are realistic in the first place.
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Mon 11 Nov 2013, 23:03

I've been thinking about the term "jure uxoris" or "by right of his wife" in relation to the reign of various kings and inheritance of titles and lands and one thing, I think, that I haven't come across yet, is what kind of inheritance systems are more usually seen in areas where this sort of thing happens.

I would assume, for example, that "jure uxoris" doesn't occur alongside strictly agnatic primogeniture (like that of Salic Law), but is prevalent in systems which prefer men to inherit titles instead of women, e.g. male-preference primogeniture or Semi-Salic Law. However, if the King has only daughters but his eldest daughter is married upon his death, is it possible, even in with strictly agnatic primogeniture, for his son-in-law to become the next monarch, or would the title instead pass to his nearest male relative? (or would you end up with the more fun result of a succession crisis? [:D])
Just one time.
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus » Tue 12 Nov 2013, 02:13

In a hypothetical world with 'strict' agnatic primogeniture, no, the son-in-law could not inherit.

In practice, these things are political matters, not abstract disputes, and inheritence laws are just guidelines. If the nearest agnatic heir is a fifth cousin eight times removed who has wound up as baronet of an uninhabited northern island, and the late king's son-in-law is the emperor of austria, then I wouldn't bet too heavily on agnatic primogeniture working out.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Tue 12 Nov 2013, 10:56

Salmoneus wrote:In a hypothetical world with 'strict' agnatic primogeniture, no, the son-in-law could not inherit.

In practice, these things are political matters, not abstract disputes, and inheritence laws are just guidelines. If the nearest agnatic heir is a fifth cousin eight times removed who has wound up as baronet of an uninhabited northern island, and the late king's son-in-law is the emperor of austria, then I wouldn't bet too heavily on agnatic primogeniture working out.
That makes sense [:)] I guess I didn't think about it in those terms [:)]
Just one time.