In anderen Sprachen · Dans d'autres langues · En otras lenguas · På andra språk
На других языках · Muilla kielillä · その他の言語で · 用别的语言 · Á öðrum málum
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Re: Anglish Spamthread

Post by Lambuzhao » Tue 17 Jan 2017, 02:23

Konungr wrote:
Wario Toad 32 wrote:I guess Beam felt more Germanic than Tree because I felt like using English words that were likewords (cognates) with Dutch/German common words
Seeing as tree is from Old English and is a better choosing than beam in the framework (context), I feel that that was eftflowing (redundant).
eft-flowing = full of newts (?)
[O.o]

One big hurdle in the business of Anglish is how much "borrowing" to do from other Thiedish folks' tongues.

A good many of the borrowings & Thiedish-twinnings, methinks, are overmuch. While sometimes there are truly some gaping potholes in the path to find English-only likewords,nonetheless there are many English words in good stead that need no wending into half-Thiedish, or too much Thiedish. Often methinks less is more.

'Beam' could work in a few sayings as 'tree', but 'tree' already has life in English, and ought to likewise have life in Anglish.

With a little more delving in earnest, one might be struck by how many English words are Anglish-worthy (that is to say, Teuton enough as is) , without going the path of speech with overblown twinning.

Yet keep at it, Konungr!
For, even by tumbles and stumbles, we may go on ahead.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Tue 17 Jan 2017, 06:33

Lambuzhao wrote:eft-flowing = full of newts (?)
[O.o]
May be eftfulsome?
One big hurdle in the business of Anglish is how much "borrowing" to do from other Thiedish folks' tongues.
Cosh em easy like! Get more words out of em that way! But we must not be overeager.
A good many of the borrowings & Thiedish-twinnings, methinks, are overmuch. While sometimes there are truly some gaping potholes in the path to find English-only likewords,nonetheless there are many English words in good stead that need no wending into half-Thiedish, or too much Thiedish. Often methinks less is more.
Wisely said --- many are the wonder words in the mathomhouse of English. Look here in our own root dunge first, raid the neighbors' only when we're truly tharving, indeed starving for a word!

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
Znex
roman
roman

Post by Znex » Mon 23 Jan 2017, 08:14

Lambuzhao wrote:eft-flowing = full of newts (?)
[O.o]
Mine Hovercraft is eft-flowing.
:eng: : [tick] | :grc: :wls: : [:|] | :chn: :isr: : [:S] | :nor: :deu: :rom: :ind: :con: : [:x]
Conlangs: Pofp'ash, Ikwawese, Old Quelgic, Nisukil Pʰakwi, Apsiska
k1234567890y
runic
runic

Post by k1234567890y » Sun 05 Feb 2017, 15:46

lol a lot of creeplings are climbing onto their bodies.
Spoiler:
creeplings = lizards.
Click here and here to know more about me.

夢見るオンナノコ(Dreaming girls)
だれでもプリンセス(All of them are princesses)
恋するオンナノコ(Girls in love)
ホンキ!ムテキ!カンペキ!(Serious! Invincible! Perfect!)
k1234567890y
runic
runic

Post by k1234567890y » Fri 05 May 2017, 20:44

"meter" is a lawful Anglish word, it can be made with "(to) mete" + "-er".

Therefore one can say "warmmeter" instead of "thermometer"
Click here and here to know more about me.

夢見るオンナノコ(Dreaming girls)
だれでもプリンセス(All of them are princesses)
恋するオンナノコ(Girls in love)
ホンキ!ムテキ!カンペキ!(Serious! Invincible! Perfect!)
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Sat 06 May 2017, 00:10

I am gobsmacked to read and search out that yea indeed mete+r would work (!)

Though I would, since it is a thing and a tool, noot -el, like shovel, runnel, thimble, handle and the like.

metel = that which metes, thing which metes
meter = he who metes, one who metes

Thus

heatmetel, warmthmetel = thermometer
heatmeter, warmthmeter ≅ meteorologistweatherman (?)

Maybe too much??
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Sun 07 May 2017, 16:58

Lambuzhao wrote:I am gobsmacked to read and search out that yea indeed mete+r would work (!)

Though I would, since it is a thing and a tool, noot -el, like shovel, runnel, thimble, handle and the like.

metel = that which metes, thing which metes
meter = he who metes, one who metes

Thus

heatmetel, warmthmetel = thermometer
heatmeter, warmthmeter ≅ meteorologistweatherman (?)

Maybe too much??
Aye, methinks a tad much.

Weatherman is good Anglish, being come of old from weder, air, sky; breeze, storm, tempest + man, person. So, a person who deals in weather.

As for warmthmetel, I think that would be some thing that metes warmth. What the Frenchly inclined folks do call a "radiator".

For "thermometer", perhaps warmthgage; or better, one of those "thermometer-barometer-humidimeter" thingies, perhaps weathergage would suffice? Old English weder + Frankish galgo by way of Old French gauge.

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera