One third of the way through the decade

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Re: One third of the way through the decade

Post by Khemehekis » Thu 12 Oct 2017, 07:04

Now we've reached the three-fourths-of-the-way-through-the-decade point.

This decade will no doubt be remembered for the alt-right, and for Donald Trump becoming president.

Justin Bieber and Ed Sheeran seem to be defining musicians, and Taylor Swift carries over from the previous decade. This may be an even bigger decade for her than the last one.

SJW's, and Black Lives Matter.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 55,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Thu 12 Oct 2017, 11:29

Khemehekis wrote:This decade will no doubt be remembered for . . .
Far too early to even speculate.

History has a way of utterly obliterating from the future's memory everything the past thought was so important, so destined for remembrance.

Heh. I had a shufty at your list from years ago . . . never even heard of 90% of those things.

So much for what this decade shall be remembered for, if 70% of the way through, it's all been forgotten. O mures, o tempura!

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » Thu 12 Oct 2017, 15:26

Khemehekis wrote:One third of the way through the decade
Khemehekis wrote:Now we've reached the three-fourths-of-the-way-through-the-decade point.
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.
Xonen

Post by Xonen » Thu 12 Oct 2017, 17:02

Khemehekis wrote:Now we've reached the three-fourths-of-the-way-through-the-decade point.

This decade will no doubt be remembered for the alt-right, and for Donald Trump becoming president.

Justin Bieber and Ed Sheeran seem to be defining musicians, and Taylor Swift carries over from the previous decade. This may be an even bigger decade for her than the last one.

SJW's, and Black Lives Matter.
Well... the increasing polarization of society, with the rise of identity politics on one hand and that of socially conservative nationalist demagoguery on the other, is a thing that does seem to be happening elsewhere in the world as well. There's also a terrorist state in the Middle East, and we're still failing to do anything substantive about climate change despite its effects being rather obvious by now.

As for music, my opinion is that Ozzy still asks the right questions. Seriously, who is Ed Sheeran?

qwed117 wrote:
Khemehekis wrote:One third of the way through the decade
Well yes, so time flies.
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Thu 12 Oct 2017, 18:37

elemtilas wrote:O mures, o tempura!
O walls? O eggyolk-based paints?
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » Thu 12 Oct 2017, 22:25

eldin raigmore wrote:
O rats, O fried fish!
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Fri 13 Oct 2017, 05:24

qwed117 wrote:
eldin raigmore wrote:
O rats, O fried fish!
[:D]
Spoiler:
s/b "mice" instead of "rats"??
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Fri 13 Oct 2017, 05:37

I'm very confused by the last few posts.
Khemehekis wrote:Justin Bieber and Ed Sheeran seem to be defining musicians, and Taylor Swift carries over from the previous decade. This may be an even bigger decade for her than the last one.
...Ed is totally forgettable, and as for the Biebs? Well, I wish he were. And Taylor? I try not to listen to pop stations but I couldn't name anything she's done in the last few years. But then again, I don't really like how there's no mention of any prominent artists from any non-pop genres either.
ixals
sinic
sinic

Post by ixals » Fri 13 Oct 2017, 12:50

Thrice Xandvii wrote:
Khemehekis wrote:Justin Bieber and Ed Sheeran seem to be defining musicians, and Taylor Swift carries over from the previous decade. This may be an even bigger decade for her than the last one.
...Ed is totally forgettable, and as for the Biebs? Well, I wish he were. And Taylor? I try not to listen to pop stations but I couldn't name anything she's done in the last few years. But then again, I don't really like how there's no mention of any prominent artists from any non-pop genres either.
Well, Ed Sheeran has had very popular songs (although I hate most of them and they don't seem to around for such a long time) and I have seen his works being referred as masterpieces so I think he is high on the list. Taylor Swift is the highest paid artist of 2016 and her fanbase is massive, Justin Bieber's fanbase is big as well.

And the thing about non-pop genres is ... there aren't any that are really big in the mainstream media (except for rap). Considering rock music, there's Imagine Dragons and they are still very pop in my eyes so I don't know why they are called rock but apparently they are.

However, I think the rise of the Dutch and Swedish DJ scene could be considered a decade defining thing? They are everywhere now.

Fashion wise I think we have trends right now that will be so 2010s in some years and I bet people will ask themselves why they wore that. I'm speaking of the mix of white, black, grey, olive and pale pink in sweatshirts, sweatpants and caps. Alternatively there are hipsters and the 90s revival and definitely the Tumblr girl fashion (short unnaturally coloured hair and all that). Then there is the undercut and the man bun. And yeah, make-up wise, women are having a very decade defining style as well right now, I'd say. Heavily applied, but still trying to be natural looking, big lips and definitely big eyebrows.

And what Xonen said is definitely correct as well. Polarisation of society, LGBT rights, third wave feminism, alt-right, islamic terror and the resulting fear, rising tension all around the world (Russia/Ukraine, North Korea, ISIS). I would add the politicalisation (?) of youth because I think they are getting more involved. And then there are social media and memes which have become very big this decade.
Native: :deu:
Learning: :gbr:, :fra:, :por:, :pol:

Цiски a Central Slavic conlang
Noattȯč a future German conlang [on hold]
Tungōnis Vīdīnōs Proto-Germanic goes Romance [on hold]
Iyionaku
roman
roman

Post by Iyionaku » Fri 13 Oct 2017, 13:27

ixals wrote: However, I think the rise of the Dutch and Swedish DJ scene could be considered a decade defining thing? They are everywhere now.
Propably, yes. Since 2012, the electronic dance music has slowly overtaken rap as main influence of pop as far as I regard it. Also, how much the festival scene arose within the last seven years...
ixals wrote: I would add the politicalisation (?) of youth because I think they are getting more involved.
Great Britain would beg to disagree.
Heaven and Earth, but I feel the color of the cake when you keep the Victoria.
I had a mantra on the moss and I had to go to bed.

Oh, and there is a [ɕ] in my name!
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Fri 13 Oct 2017, 19:55

ixals wrote: I would add the politicalisation (?) of youth
I'd agree this is a thing (though not that the decade will be remembered for it down through the long picomilennia of the future).
because I think they are getting more involved.
Yoots have always been involved. We didn't have pervasive social media to permanently record it for the edification (or nauseation, depending) of posterity.

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
KaiTheHomoSapien
sinic
sinic

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » Fri 13 Oct 2017, 20:00

Youth have definitely always been involved, but sometimes it seems they are simultaneously accused of being apathetic and overzealous (one's youth seems fitting for either of these extremes. It's an extreme time in a person's life).

Which reminds me I have a rally to attend... [;)]
Last edited by KaiTheHomoSapien on Fri 13 Oct 2017, 20:04, edited 1 time in total.
Don't live to conlang; conlang to live.

My conlang: Image Lihmelinyan
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Fri 13 Oct 2017, 20:02

eldin raigmore wrote:
O valla, o temperae!

Ànradh
mayan
mayan

Post by Ànradh » Fri 13 Oct 2017, 22:07

Iyionaku wrote:
ixals wrote: I would add the politicalisation (?) of youth because I think they are getting more involved.
Great Britain would beg to disagree.
Scotland might not.

Although, I doubt it will be considered particularly memorable, much like most of this list.
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.
Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » Sun 15 Oct 2017, 22:24

elemtilas wrote: Heh. I had a shufty at your list from years ago . . . never even heard of 90% of those things.
90%? Really? Which 10% of the items had you heard of?
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » Sun 15 Oct 2017, 22:36

Xonen wrote: Well... the increasing polarization of society, with the rise of identity politics on one hand and that of socially conservative nationalist demagoguery on the other, is a thing that does seem to be happening elsewhere in the world as well.

Definitely. You see it across many different countries. Even Greece and Sweden, which many people thought were liberal safeholds.

In the nineties, middle-aged Boomers tended to be moderates (with some theocons!), and liked politicians like the Clintons. But now, the Boomers are ageing, and conservative Xers and lefty Millennials are beginning to have more of a voice. Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders both seriously looked as if they could win.

My goodness, this is what Howe & Strauss called the Fourth Turning!
There's also a terrorist state in the Middle East, and we're still failing to do anything substantive about climate change despite its effects being rather obvious by now.
ISIS will probably be remembered as America's foreign policy issue of the decade, along with the nuclear showdown with North Korea, and perhaps new developments that will occur in 2018 or 2019.

Or perhaps Donald Chump will use nukes, and the current decade won't be remembered, because there will be no one to remember it.

As for climate change, we'll probably think of climate change prophets of doom and the people they're up against (Donald Trump removed all references to climate change from the White House website!) when we think of the eleventies to the same degree that we think of environmentalism when we think of the sixties.
As for music, my opinion is that Ozzy still asks the right questions. Seriously, who is Ed Sheeran?
"The A-team" has a very different persona from "Shape of You", you got to admit. Justin Bieber is the cute boy who went to being a bad boy, Taylor Swift is the girl who flips through boyfriends like a dad pretending to be interested flips through baby pictures, but I'm not clear on what kind of personality Ed Sheeran is trying to project. He sure does put out a lot of hits, though.
♂♥♂♀

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Sun 15 Oct 2017, 22:36

Khemehekis wrote:
elemtilas wrote: Heh. I had a shufty at your list from years ago . . . never even heard of 90% of those things.
90%? Really? Which 10% of the items had you heard of?
I vaguely remember the Wall St. thing. No one ever really seemed to know what it was about, though. Especially the people in it. Of course I've heard about the same-sex thing.

Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » Sun 15 Oct 2017, 22:42

Thrice Xandvii wrote:I'm very confused by the last few posts.
...Ed is totally forgettable, and as for the Biebs? Well, I wish he were. And Taylor? I try not to listen to pop stations but I couldn't name anything she's done in the last few years.
She did "Blank Space", with which you were unfamiliar, in 2014. That same year, she put out "Shake It Off" and "Style". 1989 was a huge albim. Since then, Taylor has done "The New Romantics", and currently has a song called "Look What You Made Me Do".
But then again, I don't really like how there's no mention of any prominent artists from any non-pop genres either.
Check out the first post in this thread:

http://cbb.aveneca.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 20#p121120

I list a number of indie artists, and some of our indie rockers (such as Imagine Dragons and Ellie Goulding) are still putting out hits to this day. I also mention Bruno Mars, who is sort of R&B.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » Sun 15 Oct 2017, 22:46

ixals wrote:
And the thing about non-pop genres is ... there aren't any that are really big in the mainstream media (except for rap). Considering rock music, there's Imagine Dragons and they are still very pop in my eyes so I don't know why they are called rock but apparently they are.
Yeah, I even mention Imagine Dragons in the OP.
However, I think the rise of the Dutch and Swedish DJ scene could be considered a decade defining thing? They are everywhere now.
You mean like Avicii?
Fashion wise I think we have trends right now that will be so 2010s in some years and I bet people will ask themselves why they wore that. I'm speaking of the mix of white, black, grey, olive and pale pink in sweatshirts, sweatpants and caps. Alternatively there are hipsters and the 90s revival and definitely the Tumblr girl fashion (short unnaturally coloured hair and all that). Then there is the undercut and the man bun. And yeah, make-up wise, women are having a very decade defining style as well right now, I'd say. Heavily applied, but still trying to be natural looking, big lips and definitely big eyebrows.
Man buns will probably be as eleventies as afros are seventies.
I would add the politicalisation (?) of youth because I think they are getting more involved. And then there are social media and memes which have become very big this decade.
I remember when my peers got into politics in my high school days in the late nineties. That was the beginning of the Millennials' coming of age, and Millennials tend to be a political generation, one that's getting more powerful now (but still not always listened to).
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » Sun 15 Oct 2017, 22:56

elemtilas wrote:
ixals wrote: I would add the politicalisation (?) of youth
I'd agree this is a thing (though not that the decade will be remembered for it down through the long picomilennia of the future).

Picomillennium? A trillionth of a millennium? I believe you mean "teramillennia".
♂♥♂♀