Forum News discussion/feedback thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by shimobaatar » Thu 08 Sep 2016, 21:30

Ossicone wrote:Sorry, when I started doing the ranks I had buckets of free time. But not so much for the past 2-3 years.
I do have a small backlog but it is basically at the bottom of my list of things to do with my limited free time.
No worries, just do whatever you can whenever you have the time.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Sat 29 Oct 2016, 16:05

Aszev wrote:sangi39 and Dormouse559 have been appointed moderators.
Thank you, Aszev, and congratulations to the two new mods!

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano » Sat 29 Oct 2016, 23:01

Small typo I noticed: The hover text for the Wikipedia icon ( :wikip: ) says "Wikpedia" rather than "Wikipedia".
:eng: - Native
:chn: - B2
:esp: - A2
:jpn: - A2
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Sun 30 Oct 2016, 00:15

GrandPiano wrote:Small typo I noticed: The hover text for the Wikipedia icon ( :wikip: ) says "Wikpedia" rather than "Wikipedia".
The Power of Vowel Syncope!
Image Ӯсцӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image ʾEšd Yatvṛḵažaẇ (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Sun 30 Oct 2016, 00:53

elemtilas wrote:
And thank you Elemtilas [:)] I don't know about Dormouse559, but I was a bit surprised by the offer, but I'm quite looking forward to it [:)]
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » Sun 30 Oct 2016, 04:30

GrandPiano wrote:Small typo I noticed: The hover text for the Wikipedia icon ( :wikip: ) says "Wikpedia" rather than "Wikipedia".
Similarly, the old Wiktionary logo showed an entry with the pronunciation /ˈwɪkʃənɹi/ instead of /ˈwɪkʃənæɹi/. What was up with that?
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 55,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » Sun 30 Oct 2016, 05:05

Khemehekis wrote:Similarly, the old Wiktionary logo showed an entry with the pronunciation /ˈwɪkʃənɹi/ instead of /ˈwɪkʃənæɹi/. What was up with that?
That's a typical British pronunciation of the word. The first vowel in -ary and -ory is usually deleted or reduced in British English.
Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » Sun 30 Oct 2016, 05:28

Dormouse559 wrote:
Khemehekis wrote:Similarly, the old Wiktionary logo showed an entry with the pronunciation /ˈwɪkʃənɹi/ instead of /ˈwɪkʃənæɹi/. What was up with that?
That's a typical British pronunciation of the word. The first vowel in -ary and -ory is usually deleted or reduced in British English.
Like in "secretary"? I didn't know the British did that with other -ary and -ory words, though.
♂♥♂♀

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Sun 30 Oct 2016, 05:35

sangi39 wrote:
elemtilas wrote:
And thank you Elemtilas [:)] I don't know about Dormouse559, but I was a bit surprised by the offer, but I'm quite looking forward to it [:)]
So tell us all about your elevation ceremony! I'm sure there were loads of secret handshakes and recitations from the Ancient and Enlightened Ritual before the official regalia and wands of power were bestowed.

Best of luck, and hopefully you two can help sort out the backlog of things needing attention!

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » Sun 30 Oct 2016, 05:52

Khemehekis wrote:Like in "secretary"? I didn't know the British did that with other -ary and -ory words, though.
Yes, most if not all of them. Some of the more striking examples for me are "laboratory", "respiratory" and "library" /ləˈbɒɹətɹiː ɹɪˈspɪrətɹiː ˈlaɪb(ɹ)(ə)ɹiː/

The chance to make this topic into yet another English-pronunciation thread distracted me.
sangi39 wrote:And thank you Elemtilas [:)] I don't know about Dormouse559, but I was a bit surprised by the offer, but I'm quite looking forward to it [:)]
I was a little surprised, too, but I'm sure it'll be a good experience. [:D]
elemtilas wrote:So tell us all about your elevation ceremony! I'm sure there were loads of secret handshakes and recitations from the Ancient and Enlightened Ritual before the official regalia and wands of power were bestowed.
As you can see from our avatars, we have donned the traditional moderator cowls.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » Sun 30 Oct 2016, 06:33

Thats unusual to begin with. Unless (x-sampa) dIkS@nr\I is more common than I thought it was.
Spoiler: show
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.
Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » Sun 30 Oct 2016, 07:23

Dormouse559 wrote:Some of the more striking examples for me are "laboratory", "respiratory" and "library" /ləˈbɒɹətɹiː ɹɪˈspɪrətɹiː ˈlaɪb(ɹ)(ə)ɹiː/

The chance to make this topic into yet another English-pronunciation thread distracted me.
One should never forego a YAEPT opportunity. [B)] À propos of nothing other than this YAEPT reminded me of it... I did a double-take recently, as I always do, hearing a Brit on TV say [ɪnˈkwa͜ɪəri] for <inquiry>. I would anticipate Britons to say [ˈɪnkwɪri]/[ˈɪnkwəri] and Americans to say [ɪnˈkwa͜ɪəri], but it appears to be just the opposite (though I imagine there's some free variation in there, even within idiolects). Oh well. My own little personal cross to bear. [>_<]
cowls.
"Cowl" is such a cool word. [:D] And congrats to you and sangi39. Do we need cake?
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » Sun 30 Oct 2016, 07:40

Lao Kou wrote:
cowls.
"Cowl" is such a cool word.
Do you have a Géarthnuns word for "cowl"? (In Kankonian, it's hulor.)
♂♥♂♀

Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » Sun 30 Oct 2016, 10:00

Khemehekis wrote:Do you have a Géarthnuns word for "cowl"? (In Kankonian, it's hulor.)
Well, we do now! [xP]

The go-to staple of Géarthçins fashion is the rhkasheförs, a unisex, long piece of cloth, commonly translated as "chlamys, chlanis". Everyone has at least one, and it functions like Linus' blanket. It's a shawl! It's a blanket! It's a shawl! It's a tent! It's a shawl! It's a scarf! It's a shawl! It's a hobo's bundle! It's a shawl! It's a cowl! That's probably how that would play out locally.

But to say we did, a "cowl" is rhkaçejets, a "rhka-hood". That captures the total awesomeness of a monk's cowl. What the Batman sports, however, we'll leave to another lexical day.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
OTʜᴇB
roman
roman

Post by OTʜᴇB » Sun 30 Oct 2016, 12:33

Khemehekis wrote:
Dormouse559 wrote:
Like in "secretary"? I didn't know the British did that with other -ary and -ory words, though.
It varies. I remove it in "secretary", "military", "factory" (I sometimes leave in vague hints of a schwa in factory) etc., but not in "dictionary"
:con: : Dijo
:con: : Language 8 (Reviving Dijo)

BTW I use Arch
Aszev
admin
admin

Post by Aszev » Sun 30 Oct 2016, 12:45

It's fixed now! Thanks for pointing it out [:)]
Sound change works in mysterious ways.

Image CE
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander » Sun 30 Oct 2016, 13:52

OTʜᴇB wrote:
Khemehekis wrote:
Dormouse559 wrote:
It varies. I remove it in "secretary", "military", "factory" (I sometimes leave in vague hints of a schwa in factory) etc., but not in "dictionary"
I syncopate it in all of those words, and furthermore before /ɹ/ my /t/ becomes /tʃ/: /ləˈbɒɹətʃɹi/
Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » Sun 30 Oct 2016, 14:12

Fine, I don't care if we need it or not. For Dormouse and sangi, Cake!

道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
DesEsseintes
cleardarkness
cleardarkness

Post by DesEsseintes » Sun 30 Oct 2016, 15:27

Lao Kou wrote:Fine, I don't care if we need it or not. For Dormouse and sangi, Cake!

All hail our new overlords!!
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Sun 30 Oct 2016, 16:28

DesEsseintes wrote:All hail our new overlords!!
:yout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lcUHQYhPTE

Down to the sugar caves, lads!