Forum News discussion/feedback thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness
Posts: 8684
Joined: Fri 12 Jul 2013, 22:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by shimobaatar » Thu 08 Sep 2016, 21:30

Ossicone wrote:Sorry, when I started doing the ranks I had buckets of free time. But not so much for the past 2-3 years.
I do have a small backlog but it is basically at the bottom of my list of things to do with my limited free time.
No worries, just do whatever you can whenever you have the time.
User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 2782
Joined: Sat 22 Nov 2014, 04:48

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by elemtilas » Sat 29 Oct 2016, 16:05

Aszev wrote:sangi39 and Dormouse559 have been appointed moderators.
Thank you, Aszev, and congratulations to the two new mods!
Image

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
User avatar
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan
Posts: 2233
Joined: Sun 11 Jan 2015, 23:22
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by GrandPiano » Sat 29 Oct 2016, 23:01

Small typo I noticed: The hover text for the Wikipedia icon ( :wikip: ) says "Wikpedia" rather than "Wikipedia".
:eng: - Native
:chn: - B2
:esp: - A2
:jpn: - A2
User avatar
Ahzoh
korean
korean
Posts: 5961
Joined: Sun 20 Oct 2013, 01:57
Location: Tom-ʾEzru lit Yat-Vṛḵažu

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by Ahzoh » Sun 30 Oct 2016, 00:15

GrandPiano wrote:Small typo I noticed: The hover text for the Wikipedia icon ( :wikip: ) says "Wikpedia" rather than "Wikipedia".
The Power of Vowel Syncope!
Image Ӯсцӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image ʾEšd Yatvṛḵažaẇ (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
User avatar
sangi39
moderator
moderator
Posts: 2603
Joined: Thu 12 Aug 2010, 00:53
Location: North Yorkshire, UK

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by sangi39 » Sun 30 Oct 2016, 00:53

elemtilas wrote:
Aszev wrote:sangi39 and Dormouse559 have been appointed moderators.
Thank you, Aszev, and congratulations to the two new mods!
And thank you Elemtilas [:)] I don't know about Dormouse559, but I was a bit surprised by the offer, but I'm quite looking forward to it [:)]
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Khemehekis
mayan
mayan
Posts: 1863
Joined: Sat 14 Aug 2010, 08:36
Location: California über alles

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by Khemehekis » Sun 30 Oct 2016, 04:30

GrandPiano wrote:Small typo I noticed: The hover text for the Wikipedia icon ( :wikip: ) says "Wikpedia" rather than "Wikipedia".
Similarly, the old Wiktionary logo showed an entry with the pronunciation /ˈwɪkʃənɹi/ instead of /ˈwɪkʃənæɹi/. What was up with that?
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 55,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
User avatar
Dormouse559
moderator
moderator
Posts: 2369
Joined: Sat 10 Nov 2012, 20:52
Location: California

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by Dormouse559 » Sun 30 Oct 2016, 05:05

Khemehekis wrote:Similarly, the old Wiktionary logo showed an entry with the pronunciation /ˈwɪkʃənɹi/ instead of /ˈwɪkʃənæɹi/. What was up with that?
That's a typical British pronunciation of the word. The first vowel in -ary and -ory is usually deleted or reduced in British English.
Khemehekis
mayan
mayan
Posts: 1863
Joined: Sat 14 Aug 2010, 08:36
Location: California über alles

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by Khemehekis » Sun 30 Oct 2016, 05:28

Dormouse559 wrote:
Khemehekis wrote:Similarly, the old Wiktionary logo showed an entry with the pronunciation /ˈwɪkʃənɹi/ instead of /ˈwɪkʃənæɹi/. What was up with that?
That's a typical British pronunciation of the word. The first vowel in -ary and -ory is usually deleted or reduced in British English.
Like in "secretary"? I didn't know the British did that with other -ary and -ory words, though.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 55,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 2782
Joined: Sat 22 Nov 2014, 04:48

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by elemtilas » Sun 30 Oct 2016, 05:35

sangi39 wrote:
elemtilas wrote:
Aszev wrote:sangi39 and Dormouse559 have been appointed moderators.
Thank you, Aszev, and congratulations to the two new mods!
And thank you Elemtilas [:)] I don't know about Dormouse559, but I was a bit surprised by the offer, but I'm quite looking forward to it [:)]
So tell us all about your elevation ceremony! I'm sure there were loads of secret handshakes and recitations from the Ancient and Enlightened Ritual before the official regalia and wands of power were bestowed.

Best of luck, and hopefully you two can help sort out the backlog of things needing attention!
Image

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
User avatar
Dormouse559
moderator
moderator
Posts: 2369
Joined: Sat 10 Nov 2012, 20:52
Location: California

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by Dormouse559 » Sun 30 Oct 2016, 05:52

Khemehekis wrote:Like in "secretary"? I didn't know the British did that with other -ary and -ory words, though.
Yes, most if not all of them. Some of the more striking examples for me are "laboratory", "respiratory" and "library" /ləˈbɒɹətɹiː ɹɪˈspɪrətɹiː ˈlaɪb(ɹ)(ə)ɹiː/

The chance to make this topic into yet another English-pronunciation thread distracted me.
sangi39 wrote:And thank you Elemtilas [:)] I don't know about Dormouse559, but I was a bit surprised by the offer, but I'm quite looking forward to it [:)]
I was a little surprised, too, but I'm sure it'll be a good experience. [:D]
elemtilas wrote:So tell us all about your elevation ceremony! I'm sure there were loads of secret handshakes and recitations from the Ancient and Enlightened Ritual before the official regalia and wands of power were bestowed.
As you can see from our avatars, we have donned the traditional moderator cowls.
User avatar
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4277
Joined: Thu 20 Nov 2014, 02:27

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by qwed117 » Sun 30 Oct 2016, 06:33

Thats unusual to begin with. Unless (x-sampa) dIkS@nr\I is more common than I thought it was.
Spoiler: show
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.
User avatar
Lao Kou
korean
korean
Posts: 5471
Joined: Sun 25 Nov 2012, 10:39
Location: 蘇州/苏州

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by Lao Kou » Sun 30 Oct 2016, 07:23

Dormouse559 wrote:Some of the more striking examples for me are "laboratory", "respiratory" and "library" /ləˈbɒɹətɹiː ɹɪˈspɪrətɹiː ˈlaɪb(ɹ)(ə)ɹiː/

The chance to make this topic into yet another English-pronunciation thread distracted me.
One should never forego a YAEPT opportunity. [B)] À propos of nothing other than this YAEPT reminded me of it... I did a double-take recently, as I always do, hearing a Brit on TV say [ɪnˈkwa͜ɪəri] for <inquiry>. I would anticipate Britons to say [ˈɪnkwɪri]/[ˈɪnkwəri] and Americans to say [ɪnˈkwa͜ɪəri], but it appears to be just the opposite (though I imagine there's some free variation in there, even within idiolects). Oh well. My own little personal cross to bear. [>_<]
cowls.
"Cowl" is such a cool word. [:D] And congrats to you and sangi39. Do we need cake?
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Khemehekis
mayan
mayan
Posts: 1863
Joined: Sat 14 Aug 2010, 08:36
Location: California über alles

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by Khemehekis » Sun 30 Oct 2016, 07:40

Lao Kou wrote:
cowls.
"Cowl" is such a cool word.
Do you have a Géarthnuns word for "cowl"? (In Kankonian, it's hulor.)
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 55,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
User avatar
Lao Kou
korean
korean
Posts: 5471
Joined: Sun 25 Nov 2012, 10:39
Location: 蘇州/苏州

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by Lao Kou » Sun 30 Oct 2016, 10:00

Khemehekis wrote:Do you have a Géarthnuns word for "cowl"? (In Kankonian, it's hulor.)
Well, we do now! [xP]

The go-to staple of Géarthçins fashion is the rhkasheförs, a unisex, long piece of cloth, commonly translated as "chlamys, chlanis". Everyone has at least one, and it functions like Linus' blanket. It's a shawl! It's a blanket! It's a shawl! It's a tent! It's a shawl! It's a scarf! It's a shawl! It's a hobo's bundle! It's a shawl! It's a cowl! That's probably how that would play out locally.

But to say we did, a "cowl" is rhkaçejets, a "rhka-hood". That captures the total awesomeness of a monk's cowl. What the Batman sports, however, we'll leave to another lexical day.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
User avatar
OTʜᴇB
roman
roman
Posts: 924
Joined: Sat 14 May 2016, 10:59
Location: SW England

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by OTʜᴇB » Sun 30 Oct 2016, 12:33

Khemehekis wrote:
Dormouse559 wrote:
Khemehekis wrote:Similarly, the old Wiktionary logo showed an entry with the pronunciation /ˈwɪkʃənɹi/ instead of /ˈwɪkʃənæɹi/. What was up with that?
That's a typical British pronunciation of the word. The first vowel in -ary and -ory is usually deleted or reduced in British English.
Like in "secretary"? I didn't know the British did that with other -ary and -ory words, though.
It varies. I remove it in "secretary", "military", "factory" (I sometimes leave in vague hints of a schwa in factory) etc., but not in "dictionary"
:con: : Dijo
:con: : Language 8 (Reviving Dijo)

BTW I use Arch
User avatar
Aszev
admin
admin
Posts: 1472
Joined: Tue 11 May 2010, 04:46
Location: Upp.
Contact:

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by Aszev » Sun 30 Oct 2016, 12:45

GrandPiano wrote:Small typo I noticed: The hover text for the Wikipedia icon ( :wikip: ) says "Wikpedia" rather than "Wikipedia".
It's fixed now! Thanks for pointing it out [:)]
Sound change works in mysterious ways.

Image CE
User avatar
Frislander
mayan
mayan
Posts: 2055
Joined: Sat 14 May 2016, 17:47
Location: The North

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by Frislander » Sun 30 Oct 2016, 13:52

OTʜᴇB wrote:
Khemehekis wrote:
Dormouse559 wrote:
Khemehekis wrote:Similarly, the old Wiktionary logo showed an entry with the pronunciation /ˈwɪkʃənɹi/ instead of /ˈwɪkʃənæɹi/. What was up with that?
That's a typical British pronunciation of the word. The first vowel in -ary and -ory is usually deleted or reduced in British English.
Like in "secretary"? I didn't know the British did that with other -ary and -ory words, though.
It varies. I remove it in "secretary", "military", "factory" (I sometimes leave in vague hints of a schwa in factory) etc., but not in "dictionary"
I syncopate it in all of those words, and furthermore before /ɹ/ my /t/ becomes /tʃ/: /ləˈbɒɹətʃɹi/
User avatar
Lao Kou
korean
korean
Posts: 5471
Joined: Sun 25 Nov 2012, 10:39
Location: 蘇州/苏州

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by Lao Kou » Sun 30 Oct 2016, 14:12

Fine, I don't care if we need it or not. For Dormouse and sangi, Cake!

Image
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
User avatar
DesEsseintes
cleardarkness
cleardarkness
Posts: 4371
Joined: Sun 31 Mar 2013, 12:16

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by DesEsseintes » Sun 30 Oct 2016, 15:27

Lao Kou wrote:Fine, I don't care if we need it or not. For Dormouse and sangi, Cake!

Image
All hail our new overlords!!
User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 2782
Joined: Sat 22 Nov 2014, 04:48

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by elemtilas » Sun 30 Oct 2016, 16:28

DesEsseintes wrote:All hail our new overlords!!
:yout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lcUHQYhPTE

Down to the sugar caves, lads!
Image

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
Post Reply