Forum News discussion/feedback thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
User avatar
Frislander
mayan
mayan
Posts: 2194
Joined: Sat 14 May 2016, 17:47
Location: The North

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by Frislander » Sat 18 Nov 2017, 15:46

Nice to see you here Pabappa/Soap.

Btw unrelated, but have you posted the phonology of your conlangs anywhere? Just cause you seem to have interesting taste in phonaesthetics and I'd like to see how you achieve those effects.
User avatar
Vlürch
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed 09 Mar 2016, 21:19
Location: Finland

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by Vlürch » Sat 18 Nov 2017, 22:37

Not sure if this is the right thread to post this, but spoilers don't expand when clicking "show" anymore. Does anyone else have the same problem, or is it somehow only happening for me?
User avatar
OTʜᴇB
roman
roman
Posts: 935
Joined: Sat 14 May 2016, 10:59
Location: SW England

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by OTʜᴇB » Sat 18 Nov 2017, 23:16

Vlürch wrote:
Sat 18 Nov 2017, 22:37
Not sure if this is the right thread to post this, but spoilers don't expand when clicking "show" anymore. Does anyone else have the same problem, or is it somehow only happening for me?
This has already been pointed out and the mods are already working on it (or at least they said they were).
:con: : Dijo
:con: : Language 8 (Reviving Dijo)

BTW I use Arch
User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 2833
Joined: Sat 22 Nov 2014, 04:48

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by elemtilas » Sun 19 Nov 2017, 04:53

OTʜᴇB wrote:
Sat 18 Nov 2017, 23:16
Vlürch wrote:
Sat 18 Nov 2017, 22:37
Not sure if this is the right thread to post this, but spoilers don't expand when clicking "show" anymore. Does anyone else have the same problem, or is it somehow only happening for me?
This has already been pointed out and the mods are already working on it (or at least they said they were).
Personally I think they pop up in some other universe where folks there are griping about all the weird and senseless spam they've been getting the last few days! [xP]
Image

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
User avatar
Aszev
admin
admin
Posts: 1476
Joined: Tue 11 May 2010, 04:46
Location: Upp.
Contact:

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by Aszev » Sun 19 Nov 2017, 12:28

OTʜᴇB wrote:
Sat 18 Nov 2017, 23:16
Vlürch wrote:
Sat 18 Nov 2017, 22:37
Not sure if this is the right thread to post this, but spoilers don't expand when clicking "show" anymore. Does anyone else have the same problem, or is it somehow only happening for me?
This has already been pointed out and the mods are already working on it (or at least they said they were).
We are.
Sound change works in mysterious ways.

Image CE
User avatar
OTʜᴇB
roman
roman
Posts: 935
Joined: Sat 14 May 2016, 10:59
Location: SW England

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by OTʜᴇB » Sun 19 Nov 2017, 13:12

Aszev wrote:
Sun 19 Nov 2017, 12:28
OTʜᴇB wrote:
Sat 18 Nov 2017, 23:16
Vlürch wrote:
Sat 18 Nov 2017, 22:37
Not sure if this is the right thread to post this, but spoilers don't expand when clicking "show" anymore. Does anyone else have the same problem, or is it somehow only happening for me?
This has already been pointed out and the mods are already working on it (or at least they said they were).
We are.
[+1] Neat. How long do you think it might take? - or is it one of those problems where the cause is either completely hidden or makes no sense?
:con: : Dijo
:con: : Language 8 (Reviving Dijo)

BTW I use Arch
User avatar
Pabappa
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat 18 Nov 2017, 02:41
Contact:

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by Pabappa » Mon 20 Nov 2017, 16:46

Frislander wrote:
Sat 18 Nov 2017, 15:46
Nice to see you here Pabappa/Soap.

Btw unrelated, but have you posted the phonology of your conlangs anywhere? Just cause you seem to have interesting taste in phonaesthetics and I'd like to see how you achieve those effects.
Hi, thank you. tbh it feels weird posting with this name, and I havent checked yet if it's possible to change, but I did check to see if "Soap" was taken and it looks like the memberlist here was recycled and/or pruned in 2010 such that any older accounts no longer exist.

I love your avatar.

Most of my work is available on FrathWiki now. Languages that have a separate page for the phonology are at Poswa and Pabappa are both intended to resemble baby talk. Poswa was originally intended to be the parent language of Pabappa, but I evolved it into a second branch of the family, which is much more conservative than Pabappa and therefore in many ways still does resemble the common parent language. I prefer Poswa and its ability to use less common sounds like /k/, /v/, and /tʷ/ "when I feel like it", whereas Pabappa is restricted to a phonology of 11 consonants and relatively few clusters.

Khulls looks very different from the others because it has a consonant ratio typical of natlangs, but the same characteristics I most enjoy about Poswa are present in Khulls, and it has the same powerful feel to me that Poswa does. I can explain Poswa's conservative evolutionary path as due to the influence of a sprachbund anchored by Khulls' descendants, whereas Pabappa quickly collapsed its phonology down to the bare essentials and therefore also totally reworked its grammar.

Sound changes are mostly at http://www.frathwiki.com/Languages_of_Teppala ... however there are some important gaps in the lists there that are difficult for me to update right now because my only Internet is mobile (and I've been complaining about that everywhere I go, and it also is partly why my typing is even worse than usual).

Some of the changes for Poswa and Pabappa are naive, left over from earlier times when I still had some misconceptions. For example, /rʲ/ > /b/ is one of the most important sound changes of all in both languages ,but I have a difficult time explaining it. Even more difficult is /tʲ nʲ/ > /þ v/, which arose from my belief that palatalization could cause consonants to become dental, when in fact it's the opposite, at least for coronals.

--------
Neat. How long do you think it might take? - or is it one of those problems where the cause is either completely hidden or makes no sense?
Spoilers are working for me now, at least in the threads that I've seen them in.

Might as well test right now?
Spoiler:
nothing to see here : )
nothing to see here either : )
Image
User avatar
Frislander
mayan
mayan
Posts: 2194
Joined: Sat 14 May 2016, 17:47
Location: The North

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by Frislander » Mon 20 Nov 2017, 22:39

Pabappa wrote:
Mon 20 Nov 2017, 16:46
Hi, thank you. tbh it feels weird posting with this name, and I havent checked yet if it's possible to change, but I did check to see if "Soap" was taken and it looks like the memberlist here was recycled and/or pruned in 2010 such that any older accounts no longer exist.
You can have it changed, but you can't do it through the control panel, you have to email Aszev.
I love your avatar.
Thanks! Thrice Xavandii made it for me, it's the Frislandian flag (you might want to consider his services the next time you want to change yours).
User avatar
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4298
Joined: Thu 20 Nov 2014, 02:27

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by qwed117 » Tue 21 Nov 2017, 01:11

Frislander wrote:
Mon 20 Nov 2017, 22:39
Pabappa wrote:
Mon 20 Nov 2017, 16:46
Hi, thank you. tbh it feels weird posting with this name, and I havent checked yet if it's possible to change, but I did check to see if "Soap" was taken and it looks like the memberlist here was recycled and/or pruned in 2010 such that any older accounts no longer exist.
You can have it changed, but you can't do it through the control panel, you have to email Aszev.
From my knowledge the old CBB that Pabappa talks about wasn't Aszev's creation. This is merely a revival of it.
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.
User avatar
Shemtov
mayan
mayan
Posts: 2159
Joined: Mon 29 Apr 2013, 03:06

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by Shemtov » Tue 21 Nov 2017, 01:44

elemtilas wrote:
Sun 19 Nov 2017, 04:53
OTʜᴇB wrote:
Sat 18 Nov 2017, 23:16
Vlürch wrote:
Sat 18 Nov 2017, 22:37
Not sure if this is the right thread to post this, but spoilers don't expand when clicking "show" anymore. Does anyone else have the same problem, or is it somehow only happening for me?
This has already been pointed out and the mods are already working on it (or at least they said they were).
Personally I think they pop up in some other universe where folks there are griping about all the weird and senseless spam they've been getting the last few days! [xP]
Some Porn Forum is getting "Linguistic Jargon Spam" and have no idea why [xD]
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
User avatar
Aszev
admin
admin
Posts: 1476
Joined: Tue 11 May 2010, 04:46
Location: Upp.
Contact:

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by Aszev » Tue 21 Nov 2017, 10:27

qwed117 wrote:
Tue 21 Nov 2017, 01:11
Frislander wrote:
Mon 20 Nov 2017, 22:39
Pabappa wrote:
Mon 20 Nov 2017, 16:46
Hi, thank you. tbh it feels weird posting with this name, and I havent checked yet if it's possible to change, but I did check to see if "Soap" was taken and it looks like the memberlist here was recycled and/or pruned in 2010 such that any older accounts no longer exist.
You can have it changed, but you can't do it through the control panel, you have to email Aszev.
From my knowledge the old CBB that Pabappa talks about wasn't Aszev's creation. This is merely a revival of it.
This is incorrect. I made the forum in 2005, and we've been going on since then. I remade the forum when we switched domains in 2010, which is why the so-called old CBB no longer exists, but I'd still consider it the same forum.
Sound change works in mysterious ways.

Image CE
User avatar
OTʜᴇB
roman
roman
Posts: 935
Joined: Sat 14 May 2016, 10:59
Location: SW England

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by OTʜᴇB » Tue 21 Nov 2017, 23:05

Spoiler:
Spoilers work now [:D]
:con: : Dijo
:con: : Language 8 (Reviving Dijo)

BTW I use Arch
User avatar
Shemtov
mayan
mayan
Posts: 2159
Joined: Mon 29 Apr 2013, 03:06

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by Shemtov » Fri 24 Nov 2017, 01:12

I can't post about phonetic [ s ] without those ungodly spaces, because otherwise, the board's code takes it as a strikeout. Given the heavy Linguistics leanings of this board, can Aszev do anything? If not can he complain to phpBB, because this is a big problem?
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
User avatar
sangi39
moderator
moderator
Posts: 2663
Joined: Thu 12 Aug 2010, 00:53
Location: North Yorkshire, UK

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by sangi39 » Fri 24 Nov 2017, 01:18

Shemtov wrote:
Fri 24 Nov 2017, 01:12
I can't post about phonetic [ s ] without those ungodly spaces, because otherwise, the board's code takes it as a strikeout. Given the heavy Linguistics leanings of this board, can Aszev do anything? If not can he complain to phpBB, because this is a big problem?
I noticed the same thing when I going through the my "Languages of Yantas" thread. I knew it could happen with [ i ], [ u ] and [ b ] before the update, but has [ s ] only become an issue since the update?
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
User avatar
DesEsseintes
cleardarkness
cleardarkness
Posts: 4472
Joined: Sun 31 Mar 2013, 12:16

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by DesEsseintes » Fri 24 Nov 2017, 03:19

You can use [ [ color=#000000]s[/color ] ] if you’re desperate (deleting spaces as necessary for the code to work).

Here’s one: [s]
User avatar
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness
Posts: 3655
Joined: Sun 25 Nov 2012, 10:13
Location: Carnassus

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Fri 24 Nov 2017, 04:37

I thought there was another work around, but now I can't recall it.
Image
clawgrip
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2319
Joined: Sun 24 Jun 2012, 06:33
Location: Tokyo

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by clawgrip » Fri 24 Nov 2017, 06:49

How about the zero-width space?

[​s​]
User avatar
Aszev
admin
admin
Posts: 1476
Joined: Tue 11 May 2010, 04:46
Location: Upp.
Contact:

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by Aszev » Fri 24 Nov 2017, 07:23

There's also a box to 'Disable BBCode' underneath the field where you type.

[s]
Sound change works in mysterious ways.

Image CE
User avatar
DesEsseintes
cleardarkness
cleardarkness
Posts: 4472
Joined: Sun 31 Mar 2013, 12:16

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by DesEsseintes » Fri 24 Nov 2017, 07:59

clawgrip wrote:
Fri 24 Nov 2017, 06:49
How about the zero-width space?

[​s​]
What is zero-width space!? [:O]
User avatar
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness
Posts: 3655
Joined: Sun 25 Nov 2012, 10:13
Location: Carnassus

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Fri 24 Nov 2017, 08:09

A special character that exists yet doesn't cause text to move as a traditional space would. That's an excellent solution to the problem at hand! In fact, it may have been what I forgot I knew earlier.
Aszev wrote:
Fri 24 Nov 2017, 07:23
There's also a box to 'Disable BBCode' underneath the field where you type.

[​s​]
The only issue there is it disables it for the whole post, limiting what else you can do, as well as killing quotes. (Something that just caused an issue with this post... forcing me to copy Clawgrip's suggestion to preserve the appearance of Aszev's post.)
Image
Post Reply