Forum News discussion/feedback thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
User avatar
DesEsseintes
cleardarkness
cleardarkness
Posts: 4472
Joined: Sun 31 Mar 2013, 12:16

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by DesEsseintes » Fri 24 Nov 2017, 08:40

How do you type zero-width space on an iPhone I should google it shouldn’t I??
User avatar
Egerius
mayan
mayan
Posts: 2398
Joined: Thu 12 Sep 2013, 20:29
Location: Not Rodentèrra
Contact:

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by Egerius » Fri 24 Nov 2017, 12:35

DesEsseintes wrote:
Fri 24 Nov 2017, 08:40
How do you type zero-width space on an iPhone I should google it shouldn’t I??
Wikipedia > copy > paste
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
clawgrip
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2319
Joined: Sun 24 Jun 2012, 06:33
Location: Tokyo

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by clawgrip » Fri 24 Nov 2017, 13:22

Just copy and paste from my post...I used two of them (only really needed one).
User avatar
gestaltist
roman
roman
Posts: 1463
Joined: Wed 11 Feb 2015, 11:23

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by gestaltist » Fri 24 Nov 2017, 13:25

Code: Select all

I use the code handle for when I need to write things like [s]. It treats everything inside as plain text.
User avatar
Aszev
admin
admin
Posts: 1476
Joined: Tue 11 May 2010, 04:46
Location: Upp.
Contact:

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by Aszev » Fri 24 Nov 2017, 19:35

sangi39 wrote:
Fri 24 Nov 2017, 01:18
Shemtov wrote:
Fri 24 Nov 2017, 01:12
I can't post about phonetic [ s ] without those ungodly spaces, because otherwise, the board's code takes it as a strikeout. Given the heavy Linguistics leanings of this board, can Aszev do anything? If not can he complain to phpBB, because this is a big problem?
I noticed the same thing when I going through the my "Languages of Yantas" thread. I knew it could happen with [ i ], [ u ] and [ b ] before the update, but has [ s ] only become an issue since the update?
No, the strikethrough code has been there for several years! (Not unlike many other issues that have been "discovered" after the update.. [:P] )

I agree it's kinda dumb on a language forum to not be able to use square brackets without them triggering style changes. I believe it would be possible to change them, so that bold instead was [bold][/bold] and so on. But then the formatting code would be more annoying (read: longer) to type, for those that do that. I don't know what would be preferable overall. Input?
Sound change works in mysterious ways.

Image CE
User avatar
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness
Posts: 3655
Joined: Sun 25 Nov 2012, 10:13
Location: Carnassus

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Sat 25 Nov 2017, 04:34

One could use two letter codes for that, but that doesn't fix it 100% of the time. [it], [ul], and [bd], maybe?
Image
User avatar
Pabappa
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat 18 Nov 2017, 02:41
Contact:

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by Pabappa » Sat 25 Nov 2017, 04:46

I like the zero-width space idea.

I sometimes use pipe symbols inside the brackets, like [|b|]. I prefer the zero-width idea, but at least with pipes theyre easier to type on a mobile phone. I got the idea from the ZBB, where there was once a tradition of just using the pipe symbol by itself, and I think using curly braces { } for the angle-brackets. Or it mightve been the other way around. Either one works, but it can be confusing if the reader isnt aware beforehand of the nonstandard notation, so I definitely like the zero-width space idea.
Image
User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 2833
Joined: Sat 22 Nov 2014, 04:48

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by elemtilas » Sat 25 Nov 2017, 04:49

Aszev wrote:
Fri 24 Nov 2017, 19:35
sangi39 wrote:
Fri 24 Nov 2017, 01:18
Shemtov wrote:
Fri 24 Nov 2017, 01:12
I can't post about phonetic [ s ] without those ungodly spaces, because otherwise, the board's code takes it as a strikeout. Given the heavy Linguistics leanings of this board, can Aszev do anything? If not can he complain to phpBB, because this is a big problem?
I noticed the same thing when I going through the my "Languages of Yantas" thread. I knew it could happen with [ i ], [ u ] and [ b ] before the update, but has [ s ] only become an issue since the update?
No, the strikethrough code has been there for several years! (Not unlike many other issues that have been "discovered" after the update.. [:P] )

I agree it's kinda dumb on a language forum to not be able to use square brackets without them triggering style changes. I believe it would be possible to change them, so that bold instead was [bold][/bold] and so on. But then the formatting code would be more annoying (read: longer) to type, for those that do that. I don't know what would be preferable overall. Input?
A workaround is use a code block, that way you don't end up with spaces.

Code: Select all

[s], [i], [u], [b]
A more interesting alternative, and perhaps rather more glossopoetic in nature, is to simply create invented languages without those four offending sounds!
Image

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
User avatar
Pabappa
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat 18 Nov 2017, 02:41
Contact:

Tables

Post by Pabappa » Tue 28 Nov 2017, 02:57

Is it still possible to use a table in BBCode, or any other way? The link in the tutorial post is not working now so I dont know what was once there. I made viewtopic.php?f=6&t=960&p=269020#p269020 <--- this post earlier and it's a mess because I couldnt get the board to parse the table code, even when I took out all of the newlines as proposed on the phpBB developer forum.
Image
User avatar
Dormouse559
moderator
moderator
Posts: 2393
Joined: Sat 10 Nov 2012, 20:52
Location: California

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by Dormouse559 » Tue 28 Nov 2017, 03:03

The forum doesn't support table tags. You can make a table in another program, like Excel, and post a screenshot of it; or you can make a table in a code block, a process I described here.
User avatar
Pabappa
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat 18 Nov 2017, 02:41
Contact:

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by Pabappa » Tue 28 Nov 2017, 04:57

Dormouse559 wrote:
Tue 28 Nov 2017, 03:03
The forum doesn't support table tags. You can make a table in another program, like Excel, and post a screenshot of it; or you can make a table in a code block, a process I described here.
OK thanks. I can use screenshots. Still, to the answer the person in that thread, phpBB *does* support tables, and there is a thread here from 2013 with a link showing how to put tables in posts, which unfortunately doesnt load anymore. However maybe that method was not phpBB.

viewtopic.php?p=251095#p132306 <--- Xonen's post from 2013.

Thanks again. My only recommendation is for someone to post somewhere in that thread a clarification about tables so that other people new to the forum wont get confused like I did.
Image
User avatar
Dormouse559
moderator
moderator
Posts: 2393
Joined: Sat 10 Nov 2012, 20:52
Location: California

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by Dormouse559 » Tue 28 Nov 2017, 05:48

Pabappa wrote:
Tue 28 Nov 2017, 04:57
OK thanks. I can use screenshots. Still, to the answer the person in that thread, phpBB *does* support tables, and there is a thread here from 2013 with a link showing how to put tables in posts, which unfortunately doesnt load anymore. However maybe that method was not phpBB.

viewtopic.php?p=251095#p132306 <--- Xonen's post from 2013.
That post was explaining the screenshot method. The tip-off is the (now out-of-date) advice on Dropbox image hosting.

While phpBB does support table tags, the CBB in particular does not. Why that is, though, is above my pay grade.

Pabappa wrote:Thanks again. My only recommendation is for someone to post somewhere in that thread a clarification about tables so that other people new to the forum wont get confused like I did.
Will look into restoring the tutorial. We had a good gig going until Dropbox stopped hosting images.
User avatar
Vlürch
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed 09 Mar 2016, 21:19
Location: Finland

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by Vlürch » Wed 29 Nov 2017, 12:33

Aszev wrote:I agree it's kinda dumb on a language forum to not be able to use square brackets without them triggering style changes. I believe it would be possible to change them, so that bold instead was [bold][/bold] and so on. But then the formatting code would be more annoying (read: longer) to type, for those that do that. I don't know what would be preferable overall. Input?
I'd prefer to be able to just type the letter inside brackets without it messing up the entire post, since it's much faster and is probably used more often than bold or italics or strikethroughs and whatnot. Using a zero-width space or any other workaround would work if they were commonly used, but they're not, so someone having to explain to everyone every time they italicise or bold a post because they didn't know that it gets messed up like that would take time and most people would probably forget how it was avoided in the first place or that it even has to be avoided...
User avatar
Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 3948
Joined: Tue 14 Aug 2012, 18:32

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by Creyeditor » Wed 29 Nov 2017, 17:59

I often use boldface, italics and underlined text. Especially italics.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :fra: 4 :esp: 4 :ind:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
User avatar
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness
Posts: 3655
Joined: Sun 25 Nov 2012, 10:13
Location: Carnassus

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Wed 29 Nov 2017, 23:34

Vlürch wrote:
Wed 29 Nov 2017, 12:33
Aszev wrote:I agree it's kinda dumb on a language forum to not be able to use square brackets without them triggering style changes. I believe it would be possible to change them, so that bold instead was [bold][/bold] and so on. But then the formatting code would be more annoying (read: longer) to type, for those that do that. I don't know what would be preferable overall. Input?
I'd prefer to be able to just type the letter inside brackets without it messing up the entire post, since it's much faster and is probably used more often than bold or italics or strikethroughs and whatnot. Using a zero-width space or any other workaround would work if they were commonly used, but they're not, so someone having to explain to everyone every time they italicise or bold a post because they didn't know that it gets messed up like that would take time and most people would probably forget how it was avoided in the first place or that it even has to be avoided...
The issue here is that the forum technology and the use of encoding with square brackets pre-dates this particular architecture being used as a "language forum." The forum had no idea people would want to use such rarely used characters for an actual purpose so just being mad that it works that way is silly. It's like writing a letter to IPA asking them to change the square bracket because it conflicts with coding.

To me, changing the coding here is the best method. I would think most folks use the buttons to invoke the BBCode, so if we could alter the words used to invoke formatting, then we would all but eliminate the issue except for those (like me on occasion) that just type out the formatting codes because that way I don't have to hit the button... especially on mobile. There isn't a perfect answer, or at least I don't think there is. I'd be ticked if we just tossed out all the formatting in order to not have an issue when we need to refer to 4 specific phonemes. At present, we can just add a space, or wrap a bracket in a color code and fix the issue. It isn't perfect, and it does bare explaining to newbs on the forum, but that's what we've got.
Image
Post Reply