Introduction thread(s)

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: Introduction thread(s)

Post by elemtilas » Sat 16 Sep 2017, 21:28

Pāṇini wrote:Hi, I'm Pāṇini and I've been lurking on this board for a very long time—I decided to get an account. I love linguistics and writing systems and I'm looking forward to some interesting discussions.
Bet you'e got a thing or two to say about Sanskrit grammar. . .

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander » Sat 16 Sep 2017, 23:05

Pāṇini wrote:Hi, I'm Pāṇini and I've been lurking on this board for a very long time—I decided to get an account. I love linguistics and writing systems and I'm looking forward to some interesting discussions.
I can't wait!

Do you have a particular fondness for Indo-Aryan? I don't think we've seen any such conlangs ever.
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Sat 16 Sep 2017, 23:08

Maybe they just really enjoy diacritics as well as yummy toasted sandwiches?
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Sat 16 Sep 2017, 23:14

Thrice Xandvii wrote:Maybe they just really enjoy diacritics as well as yummy toasted sandwiches?
Mmmm...toasted sandwiches!

Pan Pāṇini's panini press pressed paninis in Pāṇini's pan.

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Sat 16 Sep 2017, 23:46

Frislander wrote:
I can't wait!

Do you have a particular fondness for Indo-Aryan? I don't think we've seen any such conlangs ever.
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat ‽‽‽

[o.O]

Prepare to see two or more examples from CBBers:

elemtilas has Talarian, or Tenxwwar Haryuça, an awesome oldie-but-goodie.
Ear of the Sphinx has worked on Indika.
Shemtov has Nerian, along the Graeco-Armeno-Aryan Clade.
✫✯♛Adnaan♛✯✫ has created Milani, which is not too distant cousin to Aseca's Aloha & Levasca.
I believe that they have collaborated on some Indo-Aryan inspired conworlding and conlanging, but damned if I recall properly what or how that went. [:'(] [:S]
Artaxes has Skurdúškos, of which he has admitted to have some definite satem-leanings

Even Yours Humbly's :con: Rozwi has a few Indo-Aryan tendencies, and its writing-system (images phucqued by Photophuckit :mrred: [}:(] [¬.¬] ) is based on a cursive running-hand version of Persian Cuneiform glyphs.

And there are at least two more Indo-Aryan/satem- … :con: folks who, banjanx me, I've plum forgotten.
[:$] [:$] [:$]

Well, there it is.
Last edited by Lambuzhao on Sun 17 Sep 2017, 00:13, edited 3 times in total.
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » Sat 16 Sep 2017, 23:48

If you disagree, maybe provide some examples?
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » Sat 16 Sep 2017, 23:58

shimobaatar wrote:If you disagree, maybe provide some examples?
I know Shemtov's made one. I know Chagen has beautiful Pazmat, and Iyionaku has Paatherye. Maybe Frislander was using a "royal we"?
Last edited by qwed117 on Sun 17 Sep 2017, 01:28, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler: show
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » Sun 17 Sep 2017, 00:00

I assumed Frislander was talking about a posteriori Indo-Aryan conlangs.
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander » Sun 17 Sep 2017, 00:14

shimobaatar wrote:I assumed Frislander was talking about a posteriori Indo-Aryan conlangs.
And indeed I was.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Sun 17 Sep 2017, 00:15

qwed117 wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:If you disagree, maybe provide some examples?
I know Shemtov's [url=http://www.aveneca.com/cbb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3341]made[/url one. I know Chagen has beautiful Pazmat, and Iyionaku has Paatherye. Maybe Frislander was using a "royal we"?
Uff! Pazmat of COURSE! and Paatherye !!!

Oy, the embarassment!
[:$] [:$] [:$] [:x]
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Sun 17 Sep 2017, 17:02

Lambuzhao wrote:elemtilas has Talarian, or Tenxwwar Haryuça, an awesome oldie-but-goodie.
Well, Indo-Anatolian actually. With some Indo-Aryan adstrate influence.

In-world it's Oriental Neo-Puntic and rather predates the Central Neo-Puntic that will eventually give rise to Sandho-Aryan and thus to the Sandhic languages and the modern Hellado-Sandhic and Judeo-Hellado-Sandhic dialects.

Lamche
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Lamche » Mon 18 Sep 2017, 21:43

So, I've already introduced myself, but since I haven't been active here for some years, I am going to do it again!

I am from Italy and my family is from Wenzhou in China. My native language is Italian and my Chinese is work in progress. I also speak the Wenzhou dialect which is famous in China for being unintelligible to all other Chinese dialects. I like a posteriori languages and since I am a kind-of a beginner, I only make conlangs related to natlangs I speak. I have made a romlang, but I don't consider it interesting enough to be shared on the internet. :mrgreen: On the other hand I will soon open an introduction thread for Tekian, this Chinese based conlang I am working on.
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » Mon 18 Sep 2017, 21:55

Welcome back!
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander » Mon 18 Sep 2017, 22:23

Welcome! Is Tekian a true Sinitic language derived from Middle Chinese or earlier or is it not based off of a historical derivation per se?
Lamche
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Lamche » Mon 18 Sep 2017, 22:55

Is Tekian a true Sinitic language derived from Middle Chinese or earlier or is it not based off of a historical derivation per se?
It split from Chinese sometime between 2000 BCE and 1000 BCE.
I did use this reconstruction of old Chinese, but I made Tekian split earlier and put some sound distinction that are not present in Old Chinese. For example the numerals 1 and 7 don't rhyme in Old Tekian.
The main reason why I made it split earlier was that Tekian has SOV word order, and I thought it was unlikely for a SVO language like Old Chinese to evolve into a SOV language, while on the other Chinese is likely to descend from a SOV language.
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » Mon 18 Sep 2017, 23:39

Lamche wrote:
Is Tekian a true Sinitic language derived from Middle Chinese or earlier or is it not based off of a historical derivation per se?
It split from Chinese sometime between 2000 BCE and 1000 BCE.
I did use this reconstruction of old Chinese, but I made Tekian split earlier and put some sound distinction that are not present in Old Chinese. For example the numerals 1 and 7 don't rhyme in Old Tekian.
The main reason why I made it split earlier was that Tekian has SOV word order, and I thought it was unlikely for a SVO language like Old Chinese to evolve into a SOV language, while on the other Chinese is likely to descend from a SOV language.
Sounds fascinating!
Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » Sat 07 Oct 2017, 22:18

Thrice Xandvii wrote:Maybe they just really enjoy diacritics as well as yummy toasted sandwiches?
Or maybe they really like chimps?
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 55,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Zekoslav
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Zekoslav » Sat 18 Nov 2017, 14:10

Hello, I'm Zekoslav.

I've been interested in languages (both conlangs and natlangs - I actually study linguistics [;)] ) for a long time, but only recently I managed to come up with something worth sharing.

Usually I make a posteriori languages, because I can't for the love of all that is holy ever decide how I want to name something. I've learned a lot about natlangs that way: I remember I had an idea to make a more conservative cousin of French, only to discover I had accidentally recreated old Occitan. [:D]
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Sat 18 Nov 2017, 14:48

Zekoslav wrote:
Sat 18 Nov 2017, 14:10
Hello, I'm Zekoslav.

I've been interested in languages (both conlangs and natlangs - I actually study linguistics [;)] ) for a long time, but only recently I managed to come up with something worth sharing.

Usually I make a posteriori languages, because I can't for the love of all that is holy ever decide how I want to name something. I've learned a lot about natlangs that way: I remember I had an idea to make a more conservative cousin of French, only to discover I had accidentally recreated old Occitan. [:D]
Welcome! We look forward to hearing more about your journey into all things linguistical!

Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander » Sat 18 Nov 2017, 15:22

Oh good, I like interesting a-posteriori stuff, particularly non-Indo-European things (although I'd be very happy with interesting takes on Indo-Iranian actually, we don't see many of those!). I look forward to seeing you grow and develop as a conlanger.