Doctor Who Discussion

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Re: Doctor Who Discussion

Post by Frislander » Sun 16 Apr 2017, 14:17

Lambuzhao wrote:Completely blasphemous! Absolute Anathema! Utter Outrage! Crucify the cartoonist!!!!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... d28ff0.jpg

Well, since it's Doctor #4, hakuna matata.
I think it's even permitted, according to the Bull Temporum Spatiique Dimensionibus Relativis Utroque.
The one problem with this is that fact that Jesus was definitely dead before being put in the tomb, so he would have had to have been resurrected before this happened... actually this is fine, good work!
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Sun 16 Jul 2017, 19:44

Okay, so I must be the last or penultimate Whovian to see the trailer-intro to the 13th Doctor.

A lot of furor!
I'm a tad disappointed that this new 'surprise' seems like a clear service to the other 'fanboyz'
No, no no. Not the Fire Island Prydonians .

But I'm all right with it, b/c truest of true überfans should clearly remember that this is not the first time this has happened with the Doctor.

Anyone remember "Curse of Fatal Death"?

Steven Moffat script + BBC production = cannon, or at least howitzer.
Rowan Atkinson (et al) regeneration = Hellayeah!
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander » Sun 16 Jul 2017, 20:24

Lambuzhao wrote:Okay, so I must be the last or penultimate Whovian to see the trailer-intro to the 13th Doctor.

A lot of furor!
I'm a tad disappointed that this new 'surprise' seems like a clear service to the other 'fanboyz'
No, no no. Not the Fire Island Prydonians .

But I'm all right with it, b/c truest of true überfans should clearly remember that this is not the first time this has happened with the Doctor.

Anyone remember "Curse of Fatal Death"?

Steven Moffat script + BBC production = cannon, or at least howitzer.
Rowan Atkinson (et al) regeneration = Hellayeah!
Abso-bloody-lootly! Although that was for Comic Relief so the people who are moaning about this probably don't consider that to be "real" Who anyway.

My mum still wants Lenny Henry though...
kiwikami
mind
mind
Location: the first star to the right and straight on 'till mid-afternoon

Post by kiwikami » Sun 16 Jul 2017, 21:59

(Spoilers.) Also I talk too much. Apologies.

I am looking forward to what #13 does with the role; this Christmas special is gonna be a doozy! 'Course, it was gonna be a doozy even before the Great Reveal; I'm not the only one who vaguely resembled the [O.O] emoji at the end of The Doctor Falls, right? Gonna be neat to see how Bradley pulls off/pays homage to Hartnell (though he played him in that documentary, so there's precedent). Lots of major firsts this year; TDF was the first multi-Master episode in the history of the show, as well. (Which is actually kind of surprising when you think about it. You'd think they'd team up more. But by george did they make a great duo.)
Spoiler:
Additionally, the Master called it:

Also, as food for thought, since the Doctor clearly considers #12 to be, well, #12 (at least, since #11 at one point clarified by gesturing vaguely to his face and saying "eleven"), thus discounting the War Doctor, #13 will officially be the first time the Doctor has been "between [his] 12th and final incarnations". Ergo, we should start taking bets on whether/when the Valeyard is going to show up. He was referenced in The Name of the Doctor, after all.
Spoiler:
ImageImage
Additional food for thought: There've been a good few Classic Who references this last series (Mondasian Cybermen, at last!) and a good many of them have been for the eras of #3 and #4 (Missy referencing #4's death, jelly babies, the Movellans' cameo in The Pilot, "Sontarans perverting the course of human history" (a quote Capaldi's said twice now), even having both Missy and the Master in TDF was interesting seeing as we first saw the Master (Delgado's - I also found it kinda funny that Simm has fully embraced the beard and popped collar look of Delgado and Ainley; it suits him well) in #3's era). Which probably doesn't mean much of anything, just a handful of fun references (especially seeing as the #3-#4-#5 eras are probably the ones referenced the most in general anyhow) - but it's still interesting that seeing as Capaldi (IMHO) was vaguely reminiscent of Pertwee. I wonder if #13 shall be similarly vaguely reminiscent of Baker. (Might be a good idea to help endear Whittaker to an audience that may at first be (IMHO unfairly) dismissive.)

...Well, that's my ramble done.

In other news, I'm hoping to familiarize myself with the McCoy era over the next month as I am (1) woefully unfamiliar with post-Tom-Baker Who save for some stray Davidson piecemeal and (2) very jealous of his umbrella. And his jumper.
Lambuzhao wrote:Anyone remember "Curse of Fatal Death"?
Moffat's secret plan all along was to make it canon.

...Good lord, I haven't been up-to-date or much invested in Doctor Who for a couple of years now, but in re-watching things I can feel it creeping up again. This is making me want to resurrect HyPry. Which is a terrible idea, given that it was a kitchen sink monstrosity. And yet... and yet...

I really talk too much. Additional apologies.
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Sun 16 Jul 2017, 23:04

My son is more up to snuff with Capaldi than I.
An episode with twa corbies!? I plotzed years ago when the Master and the Rani teamed up against Doc #6.
That episode was Time and the Rani... no! Mark of the Rani. During Colin Baker's regnum.

Looks like it's DW binge-watching for me in a week or two.
BTW, I would have sworn up and down that Missy would have been the Rani. The whole snuffing people to resurrect them as Cyberman; that kind of 'experimental' genocide sounded right up the Rani's alley.
I was genuinely surprised it turned out to be The Mistress.

--------------------------------------------

Ooh! 'He who shall not be named' ! 'The Boneyard' as Doc #6 called him in Trial of the Timelord, a.k.a.
Law & Order comes back to the future on Gallifrey once again for the First Time.

Now that would be slick to see the Valeyard make a (running) appearance.

Moffat's secret plan all along was to make it canon.
You kidding me? You're kidding me. You're a tease, and I've been bazinga'ed. I need a baklava.
[xP]
want to resurrect HyPry.
I'll get my ouija-board and candles. No nekyia is a good nekyia w/o a ouija board and candles. Red or Black or eerie Ectoplasm Green?
Which is a terrible idea, given that it was a kitchen sink monstrosity. And yet... and yet...
Not a terrible idea... not a terrible idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKh6XxYbbIc

Concoct away, TARDIS-Toaster!
Apart from the original Calibos & Jabba, Capt. Panaka and Admiral Ozzel, Palpatine actor Ian MacDiarmid ought to make a cameo in DW ... ooh, Holy Schnikies - As the Valeyard!!!
[O.O] Too good to be true. [B)]
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Mon 17 Jul 2017, 00:31

I've only just got back from work, so literally only just seen the trailer and all I have to say is... wait and see. The next Doctor never really gets a huge reveal anyway, so you can't get a feel for them until they're on-screen, and even then it takes a few episodes to get used to them (in the same that overlapping companions have to get used to them).

The same thing happened with Tennant, Smith and Capaldi as they took over the role in New Who, and no doubt older actors got the same treatment in Old Who.

As for a female Doctor, well, just take a look at Missy. Amazing character, Michelle Gomez is awesome (although how much of that is down to "crush" vs. actual acting ability I don't know, lol), and pretty well written. As long as the team behind the scenes work well with what they've got, then why the hell not? [:)]

I vaguely remember a similar amount of debate over male companions in recent years, along the lines of "but the companion is always a woman!". Annoyingly the main companion has always been a woman in New Who, so I would have quite liked a male companion somewhere in there with a male Doctor, just to add in something new.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Mon 17 Jul 2017, 02:07

The same thing happened with Tennant, Smith and Capaldi as they took over the role in New Who, and no doubt older actors got the same treatment in Old Who.
Well, of course Timey-Wimey, Ginger, WarDoctor and Grumpus Mawumpus had the same sort of thing:
see, there's this little old thing called the Internet, and not only do things get 'found out', networks like the BBC have learnt to wag the dog with this sort of hype.

But as for the 'Old Who', I do not think this kind of previewage/ mid-pre-season intentional spoilerage was even possible or lawsable. I mean, how would we have found out? For example, in :us-pa: in the 80s, it was Tom Baker on heavy rotation at the local PBS station. It wasn't until the mid 80s until we saw some of Peter Davidson, and then Jon Pertwee. I recall fondly quite possibly the closest thing to this kind of spoilerage about 'the next doctor'. My sister went to study in England mid-80s. We had just gotten Logopolis, and the change to Davidson. I'll never forget, b/c she brought back 3 of my favorite teen-treasures:
Yob ( a chocolate dwarf belgian bunny, in her greatcoat pocket(!) ), a Doctor Who Board Game (lost to the vagaries of time and space, of course, though I think I still have the sky blue multi-sided die somewheres) , and a couple of Doctor Who Magazines from Forbidden Planet Book Store (which I visited about ten years later). On one, the cover had this :
https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/g/P ... s-l225.jpg
In what has to be the most Tom Bakeresque (pre-Photoshop, mind you!) photo of another doctor I have ever seen in my entire life.

So, yours humbly got the inside story on Colin Baker's 6th Doc while PBS was proudly crowing about purchasing the 'latest episodes' of Doctor Who w/ Peter Davidson, that is.

Pre Internet+convention-mania, BBC would have never in a thousand thousands of years have divulged any new doctor before that first episode of the season where they debuted. But I'm no expert on those things way back when among the diehards of ye aulde DW clubs.
kiwikami
mind
mind

Post by kiwikami » Mon 17 Jul 2017, 02:50

sangi39 wrote:As for a female Doctor, well, just take a look at Missy. Amazing character, Michelle Gomez is awesome (although how much of that is down to "crush" vs. actual acting ability I don't know, lol), and pretty well written. As long as the team behind the scenes work well with what they've got, then why the hell not? [:)]
[+1]
Lambuzhao wrote:BTW, I would have sworn up and down that Missy would have been the Rani. The whole snuffing people to resurrect them as Cyberman; that kind of 'experimental' genocide sounded right up the Rani's alley.
I was genuinely surprised it turned out to be The Mistress.
Ditto. I was somewhat disappointed when she wasn't, just because it'd have been great to have brought that character back (still got my fingers crossed that she shows up now that Gallifrey's back in play - a revisitation from Romana wouldn't be amiss either), but regardless, Missy ended up as a well written+acted and tremendously fun (in an evil sort of way) character.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Mon 17 Jul 2017, 02:54

Hmmm, I guess that's true, but the "getting used to them phase" of things would surely have still applied, especially for anyone playing the Doctor in a serial that ran immediately after (in TV terms) the previous actor.

Either way, I tend to stay away as best I can from any "anti-this-person" thinking on line Who-wise. Sure, you can have a look and see how they've handled previous roles, but that might not be a good guess at how they'll play the Doctor (especially since at least some of the time an actor can be good but have rubbish direction).
Just one time.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Mon 17 Jul 2017, 03:17

sangi39 wrote:Hmmm, I guess that's true, but the "getting used to them phase" of things would surely have still applied, especially for anyone playing the Doctor in a serial that ran immediately after (in TV terms) the previous actor.
Indeed. I am super-nitpicking here. It's just, pre-Internet, this sort of thing was extremely rare in tv. More of a thing in American tv - I can recall these blowout extravaganza programs that would begin the summer, that showed the actors and actresses and little clips for the mostly new shows that would come on the next season. I do not think the beeb engaged in this sort of american-style network plappery .

Either way, I tend to stay away as best I can from any "anti-this-person" thinking on line Who-wise. Sure, you can have a look and see how they've handled previous roles, but that might not be a good guess at how they'll play the Doctor (especially since at least some of the time an actor can be good but have rubbish direction).
The rule of thumb is to just see how each new doc grows on you. It may take minutes, episodes, or even a regeneration or two later.
But a case in point about your last thought: Doc #6. He came off as extremely self-righteous, full of himself, and just a big windbag, compared to the endearing #5, Agent 007-cum-reversed-polarity #3,
and tombakermost #4. Thank god they'd already done 'The 5 Doctors', b/c, who would've wanted to pair up with him? Even Lord Rassilon would've been like 'Um, no thanks, actually'.

But I'll gonna tell you. He grew on me then (especially during Trial of the Time Lord), and I appreciate him a heck of a lot more now: he seems more entertaining, clevermore, really takes a stand oftener when watching him years later. I especially loved his "Well toss off then" attitude towards Davros.

Prolly the worst thing of his tenure was his assortment of assistants. Peri was clearly a hook for the growing 'Murican fandom, and Mel was just a pink-hot screaming mess. With hair. Lots of 80s hair. :roll:

Again, you're very correct in the idea of observing each doctor on their own terms.
[+1]
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Mon 17 Jul 2017, 03:19

kiwikami wrote: good DW stuff
What's HyPry for "So be it!" or "Amen" ?
[:)]
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Mon 17 Jul 2017, 03:38

Lambuzhao wrote:
sangi39 wrote:Hmmm, I guess that's true, but the "getting used to them phase" of things would surely have still applied, especially for anyone playing the Doctor in a serial that ran immediately after (in TV terms) the previous actor.
Indeed. I am super-nitpicking here. It's just, pre-Internet, this sort of thing was extremely rare in tv. More of a thing in American tv - I can recall these blowout extravaganza programs that would begin the summer, that showed the actors and actresses and little clips for the mostly new shows that would come on the next season. I do not think the beeb engaged in this sort of american-style network plappery .

The rule of thumb is to just see how each new doc grows on you. It may take minutes, episodes, or even a regeneration or two later.
But a case in point about your last thought: Doc #6. He came off as extremely self-righteous, full of himself, and just a big windbag, compared to the endearing #5, Agent 007-cum-reversed-polarity #3,
and tombakermost #4. Thank god they'd already done 'The 5 Doctors', b/c, who would've wanted to pair up with him? Even Lord Rassilon would've been like 'Um, no thanks, actually'.

But I'll gonna tell you. He grew on me then (especially during Trial of the Time Lord), and I appreciate him a heck of a lot more now: he seems more entertaining, clevermore, really takes a stand oftener when watching him years later. I especially loved his "Well toss off then" attitude towards Davros.

Prolly the worst thing of his tenure was his assortment of assistants. Peri was clearly a hook for the growing 'Murican fandom, and Mel was just a pink-hot screaming mess. With hair. Lots of 80s hair. :roll:

Again, you're very correct in the idea of observing each doctor on their own terms.
[+1]
Unfortunately for me, Old Who is a blurred childhood memory of repeats on the BBC in the mid-90s (I've got an annoying thing of only having very hazy memories of anything that happened before I was maybe 7 or 8, for some reason very little has stuck from any earlier). Doctor Who was probably a passing nerdy interest, just "some other sci-fi thing" that I'd sit down at watch as a child (my childhood was defined by ST:TNG and the Star Wars OT).

But anyway, at least in New Who, the only Doctor I was actually excited about was Tennant. I wasn't a huge fan of NW season 1, but it was just finding its feet, so maybe it was that. When it was announced that Tennant was leaving, I was so damn sad that I couldn't even be bothered with who was replacing him, but Smith grew on me so quickly. Capaldi took a little longer, probably because of the age difference, but I think they sent the story line in a slightly "darker" direction that Capaldi just fit in quite well.

I'm expecting something roughly similar with Whittaker, i.e. they'll have tailored the story line around her eventual appearance (obligatory "I'm a woman... still not ginger though" humour aside), and then her version of the Doctor will come about as the sotry develops.

I'm actually really interested in who the companion might be. Bill seems to be very, very gone now, which is a bit of a shame. I really got to like her by about the fourth episode or so and by the last episode I was just hoping for more of her. I honestly can't figure out which way they'll go with the companion. A male one would be nice, but that seems to much like... not quite gender-reversing... I guess it would be something "easy", maybe. I think another female companion would probably be likely, and I think, kind of luckily, the writers don't tend to play with sexuality as a major theme. They explore it, certainly, but they never really push it (honestly the reason Rose and Martha are my least favourite companions is the somewhat unrequited love element to their arcs). Urrrggghhh, I don't know. First female Doctor and we've not had a male main companion, I just don't know where they'll go.
Just one time.
kiwikami
mind
mind

Post by kiwikami » Mon 17 Jul 2017, 05:36

A realization:

The Doctor has been telling us his true name this whole time. It was on Davison's collar, McCoy's jumper, everywhere, and we never saw it.

:?: > ? > ʔ

The Doctor's true name... is a glottal stop.
sangi39 wrote:Good things about Whittaker's introduction and companion speculations.
But what if this time she is ginger? At last! (Whittaker herself isn't, but one can dream.)

Hopefully Bill isn't gone for good; she grew on me after a little while. It's funny; her introduction was a little bit reminiscent of Susan: bright not-a-normal-student (actually a cook rather than actually an alien, but close enough) is taken notice of by professor(s), goes on adventures with them. Except the roles were reversed.

(Just realized that the surprise guest for the Christmas Special suggests we may not have seen the last of Susan. Now that would be interesting.)
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Mon 17 Jul 2017, 12:14

@ Sangi -

Very interesting thoughts.
I did not come on board until midway round with American showings of New Who Tennant. I like Eccleston a somewhat more than Gingie, and Capaldi reminds me some of 'The Original Model'; I'm sad that more was not made of that connection, but glad that he appeared as Capaldi's 'Watcher' (well, my theory, at least) to help 'assist' thru the regeneration. I am happy that they will both be appearing in the Christmas Special. But Tennant just swallowed the best bits of the franchise and transmogrified them into something totally fresh but utterly familiar. [<3] Timey-Wimey [B)]

@ Kiwikami -
Only us linguists would see such a 'hidden in plain sight' clue.
actually a cook rather than actually an alien, but close enough
Hey hey hey, [>:(] I was a souschef for quite a few years in my former life...
Well, allright. It's true. We're aliens. [xP]
…Susan…
Christmas pressie? I'll get my hat, tootler, and Xmas cracker ready!
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Tue 01 Aug 2017, 20:58

So, kiwikami does this translation of "Ape shall not kill ape" in HyPry:
[+1]
And it got me thinking.
And googling.
And reading.
And imaginating...

:idea:
Apparently, in one of the DW comic storylines, Strax is quoted as saying he once had a hoard of rabid samurai apes(COMIC: The Adventures of Strax & the Time Shark).
Now, since Strax keeps Silurian company, he could simply be referring to human samurai .
Heck, even the Doctor himself has referred to humans as "stupid apes".
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ ... 21b24e.jpg

But, considering the utter dearth of such a momentous crossover possibility, I would love to see an episode"Dotor Who and the Planet of the Samurai Apes":

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... -d-art.jpg

http://comicsalliance.com/files/2015/06 ... 30x420.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... rtwork.jpg
http://www.whatjailislike.com/strangepl ... murai2.jpg

Wow.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_4OYGjUrdllo/S ... keover.jpg
(If it is earth) What would bring the Doctor to such a future earth?
Which Doctor do you think ought to have the titular encounter?
(I'm going with the Ninth b/c of just deserts and, hey, where U been, Chris Eccleston?)

I for one am definitely tuned in.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Thu 23 Nov 2017, 17:17

It's Thanksgiving, and so I youtube the Curator's scene.

Of course I need the crying towel.

http://www.craftsuppliesforless.com/ima ... stones.jpg

So I have to watch the full episode.
More fanbubbele joy.

And then I watch a version with a Patrick Troughton impressionist reading as 2nd Doctor qua Curator - Snuschus, pure Snuschus! It's snuschus, I tell ya!!!

And then I wander cyberinterretialically to rewatch some dramatic readings of speeches from recent DW episodes by Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, & The McGann.

Life is good.
DW makes it that much betterer.

[:D]
BTW
http://www.yosemite-sam.net/Boardgames/Doctor-Who.jpg

Anybody wanna play?
[:P] [;)]
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Sun 03 Dec 2017, 13:10

Clearly, the firstmost TARDIS Master Console Console:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvUU8joBb1Q

I wunder wut the marbles would be made of, then?
:wat:

[;)]