Doctor Who Discussion

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Doctor Who Discussion

Post by Lambuzhao » Mon 02 Jul 2012, 04:12

To Fellow Whovian Kiwikami and to all fellow Whovians:

Which is your favorite regeneration?

Who's your favorite monster/enemy/antagonist?
CrazyEttin
greek
greek

You

Post by CrazyEttin » Mon 02 Jul 2012, 10:51

Lambuzhao wrote:To Fellow Whovian Kiwikami and to all fellow Whovians:

Which is your favorite regeneration?

Who's your favorite monster/enemy/antagonist?
Favourite regeneration as in which doctor is the best, or which regeneration event is the most awesome?
I'll assume it's the former, in which case my favourites are the 1st and 10th. But i haven't watched very much of the classical Who, so i might change my mind if i watch it more.

And as for favourite antagonist, i don't have any.
Ossicone

Re: Doctor Who Discussion

Post by Ossicone » Mon 02 Jul 2012, 12:47

Modicone: Split from the You thread since it could become a long discussion and I don't want to have to split it later.

-----

I don't like the current doctor but the two before him were cool by me.
Click
darkness
darkness

Post by Click » Mon 02 Jul 2012, 13:15

Unfortunately, I have watched only one episode of Doctor Who. [:(]
It was something with 18 century France and spaceship from the Dagmar galaxy that needed human organs.
AK-92
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by AK-92 » Mon 02 Jul 2012, 13:30

My favorite doctor is the ninth doctor. As for favorite villain, I'm not sure. Weeping angels perhaps, tho' I didn't like some of the tthings Moffat did to them in time of angel/flesh and stone two-parter.
2-4 wrote:Unfortunately, I have watched only one episode of Doctor Who. [:(]
It was something with 18 century France and spaceship from the Dagmar galaxy that needed human organs.
Girl in fireplace, good choice. Easily one of the best doctor who episodes.
ɑɬœø
taylorS wrote: Something about the word "child" seems to lend itself to attracting redundant pluralization.
arilando
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by arilando » Mon 02 Jul 2012, 20:21

What is Doctor Who?
Ceresz
shadowlight
shadowlight

Post by Ceresz » Mon 02 Jul 2012, 20:28

arilando wrote:What is Doctor Who?
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Mon 02 Jul 2012, 21:04

Modicone & Ceresz -

You both rock the 11 heavily-travelled dimensions of time&space!
¡Gracias por las ayudas!

As for me, I cannot answer all so simply....

Best regeneration of Doctor-
Tom Baker would be the absolute best for me, but his tenure was sooooo long (incl. reruns) that he's like
John Q. Gallifreyan to me. Plus there are shining moments from the John Pertwee/Peter Davidson/Colin Baker
eras.

Best Monster/Villian-

Old Series - Michael Grade (in joke). Really, the renegade Timelords like Omega, Rassilon, The Rani, The Valyard, and of course The Master (Anthony Ainsley [+1] ) (BTW: D'ya ever notice how the "creepy skull" regeneration of the Master...and Darth Sidious....baaah!) Cunning+ Intelligence + megalomania + can walk up and down steps + a pimped up TARDIS = [}:D]

From the New Series - Haven't seen much, but those Weeping Angels are pretty interesting and creepy.

Boy, I know I cheated here. [:S]
Ear of the Sphinx
metal
metal

Post by Ear of the Sphinx » Mon 02 Jul 2012, 21:21

I watched nifteen episodes, with Eccleston and Tennant. I liked it whole.
Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.
kiwikami
mind
mind
Location: the first star to the right and straight on 'till mid-afternoon

Post by kiwikami » Tue 03 Jul 2012, 17:17

Lambuzhao wrote:To Fellow Whovian Kiwikami and to all fellow Whovians:
Bit ashamed that I only just noticed this thread. [:P]
Lambuzhao wrote:Which is your favorite regeneration?
Oh... have to say Tom Baker, Peter Davison, David Tennant, and Matt Smith, all rather tied. To be honest, I like them all almost equally well... except for Colin Baker. He just seemed too... brash... for me.
Lambuzhao wrote:Who's your favorite monster/enemy/antagonist?
Hm... tough one. Have to agree with you here: the renegade time lords were the best. I love the Master in every single incarnation, although I agree that Ainly was the best. (John Simm was pleasantly insane as well - I keep comparing him now to Andrew Scott as Moriarty in Sherlock). Rassilon was good, again in all incarnations. Did you know that the man who played him in End of Time Part 2 also played James Bond at one point? James Bond = Time Lord confirmed!
Love the Valeyard.
Best antagonist from the new series... hard to say. The Silence are up there, though.
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.
mich2000
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by mich2000 » Tue 03 Jul 2012, 19:05

My favorite doctor is David Tennant. To be honest, I've never watched the classic series, so Eccleston, Tennant and Smith are the only doctors I know. I don't really like the things they changed in series 5-6. The new daleks look kinda funny and the weeping angels are nowhere near as scary as they used be. My favorite enemies are the Judoon because they are awesome
Colourless green ideas sleep furiously
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Tue 03 Jul 2012, 19:50

2-4 :

FORTUNTATELY you're one up on the many who just don't know [;)]

Modiconatriz-
Out of the latter 3, I'd have to go with Tom Riddle. [>_<] Oh Jeez, I mean David Tennant. [:x]

Kiwikami-

Colin Baker - Uppity, but I always enjoyed seeing how he'd have to both eat crow and save Life/the Universe/Everything.

John Pertwee - Hands-down the most ingenious of the (older) lot. Was MacGuyver's personal mentor. Could take 2nd Doctor's recorder, add 4th Doctor's sonic screwdriver and make either a) a better mousetrap, b) a wave-motion gun (BFG-3000 of the 1970's ) or c) a cure for cancer + world hunger. Plus, he could kick ass with Venusian karate w/o rumpling the velvet. IPPON

Peter Davidson - More like a very posh, twitterpated Scoutmaster. But he seemed the least snobbish (yes, really) of that era I think. I'd travel with him, Nyssa, Adric and Tegan Jovanka any millenium.

As for the villians, I was sooo going to write:
Cunning+ Intelligence + megalomania + can walk up and down steps + a pimped up TARDIS = Doctor Moriarty x 1,000!

But I didn't want to date myself yet more, but I forgot about the new movies.
Silly me! :roll:
Kaylee
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Kaylee » Tue 03 Jul 2012, 20:05

I have just recently begun watching the show and ended up watching from Matt Smith's series, because I thought I was watching (the most recent) Doctor Who seasons. I've watched a few episodes of the previous Doctor and the show is still great, but I would have to say Matt is my favorite Doctor--then again, that could change, many more Doctors out there. [:P]

Favorite villain would be The Silence. They just terrify me. [:'(]

I have certainly fallen for the series. [<3]
To deceive a diplomat speak the truth, he has no experience with it. ~ Greek Proverb

Fluent = :usa: | Learning = :lkt: | Next = :rus: :gla: :ara: :zaf:
Conlang: Čáluŋka
kiwikami
mind
mind

Post by kiwikami » Tue 03 Jul 2012, 20:20

Lambuzhao wrote:Kiwikami-

Colin Baker - Uppity, but I always enjoyed seeing how he'd have to both eat crow and save Life/the Universe/Everything.

John Pertwee - Hands-down the most ingenious of the (older) lot. Was MacGuyver's personal mentor. Could take 2nd Doctor's recorder, add 4th Doctor's sonic screwdriver and make either a) a better mousetrap, b) a wave-motion gun (BFG-3000 of the 1970's ) or c) a cure for cancer + world hunger. Plus, he could kick ass with Venusian karate w/o rumpling the velvet. IPPON

Peter Davidson - More like a very posh, twitterpated Scoutmaster. But he seemed the least snobbish (yes, really) of that era I think. I'd travel with him, Nyssa, Adric and Tegan Jovanka any millenium.
Agreed, regarding Pertwee. (Hm. MacGuyver might be a Time Lord, too - I'll have to look into that).
Ah, Nyssa and Tegan... and poor Adric.

Who are y'all's favorite companions?

Hartnell: Susan. He really makes a good grandfather.
Troughton: Jamie.
Pertwee: Hm... have to say Jo, here. And the Brigadier, if he counts.
Baker #1: Sarah-Jane! ...and Leela. And K-9.
Davison: ...can I pick all of them?
Baker #2: Mel. She's like River Song, only fluffier.
McCoy: Ace. Taking into consideration the New Adventures books... I still have to say Ace.
McGann: The Eighth Doctor Adventures novels introduce an intellectual teenage blonde named Sam. She's my favorite for #8... although Fitz (from the same series) is a close second.
Eccleston: Don't have much of a choice. Erm... Jack. (Sorry, Rose.)
Tennant: Donna, unless Wilf counts.
Smith: The Ponds. It's nice to have some domestics in the TARDIS, little as the Doctor seems to agree.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Tue 03 Jul 2012, 21:11

Erin elr den gïde Cïß.
[be-3PL DEF-m.PL.NOM good-PL selection-PL]

All good selections.

Mavollej þë Fvipfe mjreaððen fürd åtura Tæchlere.
[AUX.FUT.OPT.1SG DEF-f.SG.OBJ pipe-SG.OBJ 1SG.REFL-choose<PFT>SUBJV
for second doctor-OBJ ]
I would have chosen the flute for second Doctor.

Müchtaj ætan.
[ought-1SG eat-INF]
I must eat.

yös Eag mit Qurqume, þeße Beane en yös Fljœtbrædtern, mægit.
[DEF-n.PL egg<PL> with curry-OBJ DEF-f.PL.OBJ bean<PL>OBJ CNJ flat.bread-PL may.it]
Maybe curried eggs, dhal & rhoti.

Is þe Ötrlegdt kemsght!
[be-3SG DEF-f.SG.NOM after.spring come-PTCP]
It’s summertime!

üv Åtresehün!
auf Wiedersehen
:mrgreen:
Kaylee
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Kaylee » Tue 03 Jul 2012, 22:14

"Who are y'all's favorite companions?"

Well, from what I've seen, I would pick either Amy or River. Amy because she's funny, but River because she's cool and reminds me of the Doctor.

Have you guys ever seen this? Also, what series is this from? I must watch it next!
To deceive a diplomat speak the truth, he has no experience with it. ~ Greek Proverb

Fluent = :usa: | Learning = :lkt: | Next = :rus: :gla: :ara: :zaf:
Conlang: Čáluŋka
CrazyEttin
greek
greek

Post by CrazyEttin » Tue 03 Jul 2012, 23:11

The best companion ever is of course Donna Noble.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo » Wed 04 Jul 2012, 08:07

I don't really mind the 11th Doctor; I think he has real potential if they spend some more time on him personally instead of focusing on the Ponds/River. What made Tennant so great was that we got to see real moments of weakness in him, like at the end of Last of the Time Lords. Matt Smith's doctor has come close, but they always find a way to switch the focus to the struggles of those around him instead.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Wed 04 Jul 2012, 11:48

Too many good ones, not fair!

But I'm going out on a limb and saying Brigadier Lethbridge Stewart of UNIT.
(recurring BFF from at least 3rd-4th-5th regenerations ***Help Kiwikami***)

He's the commanding officer of UNIT, which is like a fruit roll-up of Men in Black CIA. So he's aware of extraterrestrial goings-on. But he is so utterly unlike the Doctor. So "inside the box" as it were: military, straight-laced brass. If he were on Monty Python, he'd be the fellow saying "Stop! This sketch is getting too silly!" Not that he ever really could blow the whistle on a friggin Time Lord, or anything. Though he did have his own moments of brilliance and even one-uppsmanship on the good old Doctor. I think that's what really clicked between the Brig and the Doctor.

So I vote Waaaaabaaf.. erm, I mean the Brigadier!

The Judoon! We are the Judoon-Squad and we're coming to town: Beep Beep! They have the same tailors as the Sontarans!!!!
kiwikami
mind
mind

Post by kiwikami » Wed 04 Jul 2012, 14:45

Lambuzhao wrote:But I'm going out on a limb and saying Brigadier Lethbridge Stewart of UNIT.
(recurring BFF from at least 3rd-4th-5th regenerations ***Help Kiwikami***)
I loved the Brigadier! He added so much dimension to the series, a sort of snap back to reality after one is given a dose of the Doctor. (For the record, he appeared with Troughton, featured very, very heavily in Pertwee's time, and popped up quite a lot with Tom Baker. In fact, he was seen with every Classic Who Doctor except Hartnell and Colin Baker. And in the Sarah Jane Adventures spin-off.
R.I.P. Nicholas Courtney...
... and R.I.P. Elisabeth Sladen

When the actors who play some of your favorite characters on your favorite TV show die, you know you're either getting old or have very anachronistic interests in television.