Doctor Who Discussion

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Re: Doctor Who Discussion

Post by Lambuzhao » Sun 18 Jan 2015, 15:11

I saw this mini-episode about a month ago.
Wow!

Night of the Doctor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EobSTIc-ywA

Just great stuff:
supernal Paul McGann [+1] {MOAR plz [:'(] }
Sisterhood of Karn [+1]
Keepers of the Flame of Neverending Boredom [+1]
Doctor, Heal Thyself [+1]
young John Hurt as nascent War Doctor [+1]

Just all around good fun.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Sun 18 Jan 2015, 19:21

Lambuzhao wrote:I saw this mini-episode about a month ago.
Wow!

Night of the Doctor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EobSTIc-ywA

Just great stuff:
supernal Paul McGann [+1] {MOAR plz [:'(] }
Sisterhood of Karn [+1]
Keepers of the Flame of Neverending Boredom [+1]
Doctor, Heal Thyself [+1]
young John Hurt as nascent War Doctor [+1]

Just all around good fun.
I completely forgot about that mini-episode!

Saying that, though, there are a fair few webisodes/mini-episodes I haven't actually seen. They keep getting linked in various places online, but I've never managed to watch them as and when they're released.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Sun 18 Jan 2015, 19:29

And I feel like this could be a bit of a conversation starter from Cracked.com regarding the New Who companions [:P]
Just one time.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Sun 18 Jan 2015, 21:19

IMHO Clara and Amy Pond and Rose are eye candy. I like the eye candy, but I cannot really find too much to separate them as
Bachelorettes #1, 2, 3. [:S]

Martha was a clever companion who was willing to go head to head with DW. Sad to see that it only brought out the racist in the Doctor. (Dude, take a lesson from Mr. Spock, already!)

Donna Noble, for me, was brash, uncomplicated, ready to roll up her wedding gown sleeves and get down to business. She reminds me of former companion Teegan Jovanka.... a lot. In a good way.

I don't know why the author didn't mention Jack Harkness, or River Song, for that matter. River Song was a great companion; reminds me a lot of timelady Romana 2.0: on par with the Doctor, can have that MacGuyver ingenuity come to the fore, and just kick arse.

I was a big fan of Ace (clever, extremely resourceful, an avid understudy to the Doctor, and, when she was in doubt, she blew things up! Cuteness + Intelligence + Ricoh the Penguin; what's not to like?).

I could go on and on, but I'm going to stop on my favorite: Sarah Jane Smith. She's the Full Monty. They broke the mold with her. She put up with a lot of pompous bullshit from #4, and just hubbawha? from #3, and still came out swinging. Okay, okay.... she did her fair share of damsel-in-distress screaming, too. Okay, okay.... sometimes it was completely inappropriate babysitter-cornered-by slasher screeching (woops! No, that was Mel).

She was not a rampant genius, but she almost always brought everything she had to the table in each episode. Her moxie, her heart, cleverness and just true grit (not unlike Donna Noble) made her, in my mind, the perfect foil and almost equal to the Doctors 3 & 4.

To her credit, she had the most episodes with the most different (3; 4; 1,2,3 & 5; 11; 12) Doctors (but not more episodes in toto; that kudos goes to Scottish companion Jamie MacRimmond). And her own series. And a K-9 unit. Squadelphious.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Sat 04 Jul 2015, 21:14

My son and I watched "Sontaran Experiment" and "The Brain of Morbius".
For some reason, I had thought that Leela was the 4th's companion to Karn. I was pleasantly surprised to see Sarah Jane (my son thinks she's great).

We are going to do a marathon of the "Key to Time" series.

But just a happy thought -

http://dobrador.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... or-who.jpg

Sort of stealing from the SW universe, mebbe, but still, it's TOM BAKER [xP] :!:
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Fri 10 Jul 2015, 16:49

Making room in my schedule of the return of Doctor Who on September 19th. Just saw the trailer on Facebook. So excited [:D]
Just one time.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Sat 19 Sep 2015, 19:04

Today's the day. New Doctor Who in just over half and hour! [:D]
Spoiler:
In other news, Jenna-Louise Coleman has officially confirmed her departure from the programme, meaning this will be the last season to feature Clara Oswald, at least as a regular character (there's always a chance she'll reappear once or twice, like previous companions). I wonder who'll come in next to travel alongside Capaldi's Doctor...
Just one time.
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa » Sat 19 Sep 2015, 21:19

I guess that means on television and not on Netflix?

No rush anyway. My girlfriend suddenly felt like watching the series all of a sudden (she never has before, but I've watched the entire new series up to season 8 before), like... a week ago, and we're already somewhere in season five. Almost one season a day. It's great. [<3]

Also watched three "miniseries" or whatever to call them (multiple episodes belonging together) of the old series, with Tom Baker before starting this — these random episodes were chosen well, because there have been multiple things referring back to the events in these particular ones that I never knew the first time I watched the new series.

Also, noticed Capaldi played a Roman in one of the episodes with Tennant as the doctor. Capaldi hadn't become the doctor the last time I saw that episode. It was weird...
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Sat 19 Sep 2015, 21:34

Prinsessa wrote:I guess that means on television and not on Netflix?

No rush anyway. My girlfriend suddenly felt like watching the series all of a sudden (she never has before, but I've watched the entire new series up to season 8 before), like... a week ago, and we're already somewhere in season five. Almost one season a day. It's great. [<3]
Hooray! [:D]
Also watched three "miniseries" or whatever to call them (multiple episodes belonging together) of the old series, with Tom Baker before starting this — these random episodes were chosen well, because there have been multiple things referring back to the events in these particular ones that I never knew the first time I watched the new series.
Hooray! Nothing like seeing older episodes that have interesting connections/continuations in the new episodes.
My son particularly enjoys the Doctor's multiple encounters with Davros. He loves how, when Doctor 4 offers Davros some jelly babies, Davros, without missing a beat, hog-slaps the bag out of Tom Baker's hand. So thoroughly Davros! [}:D]

Slowly wending our way through the Key to Time series. Enjoying every moment. :mrgreen:

Also, noticed Capaldi played a Roman in one of the episodes with Tennant as the doctor. Capaldi hadn't become the doctor the last time I saw that episode. It was weird...
But not unexpected. Colin Baker (6th Doctor) appeared as Security Commander Maxil on Gallifrey sometime during the Tom Baker aeon.

Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa » Sat 19 Sep 2015, 23:20

Yeah, it goes well with the joke that BBC only has ten or so actors and still manages to make so much great stuff that none of that Hollywood turd can ever live up to. [;)]

My own addition to the joke is that they only have one writer. Mr. Moffat is everywhere! Doctor, Torchwood, Sherlock, you name it!

That's some more of those references by the way. I hadn't watched the Torchwood show the last time I watched the episodes where Gwen and Ianto are featured in Dr. Who, but this time around I'd watched the entire series!
Adarain
greek
greek

Post by Adarain » Sat 19 Sep 2015, 23:36

Just saw the newest episode... so far I'm not sold. I quite liked the last season, but I think I'm starting to stop liking Doctor Who.
At kveldi skal dag lęyfa,
Konu es bręnnd es,
Mæki es ręyndr es,
Męy es gefin es,
Ís es yfir kømr,
Ǫl es drukkit es.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Sun 20 Sep 2015, 18:22

Adarain wrote:Just saw the newest episode... so far I'm not sold. I quite liked the last season, but I think I'm starting to stop liking Doctor Who.
My major issue with it was pretty much down to it being a two-parter, meaning that the episode was fairly low on actual development, since the resolution will be saved until next week. Two-part episodes don't really work very well for Doctor Who. I think they end up with the same amount of actual "plot" as a single episode with a bit more "filler", so they end up quite... empty.

Other than that, I wouldn't say it was too bad an episode. Given recent events with Gallifrey and now events of this last episode, I wonder if they're trying to almost re-establish the universe of Classic Who. We've had our wandering Doctor, the Lonely God, talking of days long gone and the glory of fallen Gallifrey, and now it looks like they're trying to bring that all back.
Just one time.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Sun 20 Sep 2015, 18:33

sangi39 wrote:
Adarain wrote:Just saw the newest episode... so far I'm not sold. I quite liked the last season, but I think I'm starting to stop liking Doctor Who.
My major issue with it was pretty much down to it being a two-parter, meaning that the episode was fairly low on actual development, since the resolution will be saved until next week. Two-part episodes don't really work very well for Doctor Who. I think they end up with the same amount of actual "plot" as a single episode with a bit more "filler", so they end up quite... empty.
Two-parters suffering from filler? Try the four-parters from Classic Who daze. Never have so many of the same actors been filmed walking down the same corridors from so many angles to leave so few minutes for actual plot. [xP]
And I'm saying this with the greatest amount of [<3] I can muster.

My sister's boyfriend (and eventual husband) had said it best when he used to ask me, "How can you watch this show? It's so boring! All they do is walk around." (he had a knack for absolutely never seeing DW except when characters were trundling through a quarry, around a hydro-electric powerplant, or on the streets of Townsville, UK)

The more things change.....
[xP]
Other than that, I wouldn't say it was too bad an episode. Given recent events with Gallifrey and now events of this last episode, I wonder if they're trying to almost re-establish the universe of Classic Who. We've had our wandering Doctor, the Lonely God, talking of days long gone and the glory of fallen Gallifrey, and now it looks like they're trying to bring that all back.

Sounds like the powers that be Moffat have listened to the universally hirquitallient roars of the fangirls and fanboys. [¬.¬]

Tom Baker sez "Gallifrey falls no more" - so mote it be!
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Sat 26 Sep 2015, 22:48

Well the second part was better, and there were some very, very interesting little titbits thrown in about a certain species the Doctor encounters on his travels.

The actual ending? The very, very end of the episode? Meh. I felt like they kind of ran out of time with the script and just sort of cobbled together an ending. Oh well, though. At least the main bulk of the episode was pretty awesome, and it made some of the filler in the first part sort of worth it, but they probably could have cut it down to a single 60-minute-long episode.
Just one time.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » Sat 26 Sep 2015, 22:49

What's Doctor Who? Do I need to start all the way from the 1920's beginning to understand the show?
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa » Sat 26 Sep 2015, 22:59

qwed117 wrote:What's Doctor Who? Do I need to start all the way from the 1920's beginning to understand the show?
Nah, start with the new series. They're on Netflix. The old stuff is for those who then become enthusiastic enough to watch those as well.

Just finished season 7 of the new series tonight in my rewatching the new series and gf's first time watching them btw and she's already seen season 8 with me when it was new and she was here anyway, so I guess we're pretty much done tho we'll probably rewatch season 8 as well. Then some rest until season 9 arrives on Netflix — in the meantime, we'll continue watching Downton Abbey and whatnot!
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » Sat 26 Sep 2015, 23:01

Prinsessa wrote:
qwed117 wrote:What's Doctor Who? Do I need to start all the way from the 1920's beginning to understand the show?
Nah, start with the new series. They're on Netflix. The old stuff is for those who then become enthusiastic enough to watch those as well.

Just finished season 7 of the new series tonight in my rewatching the new series and gf's first time watching them btw and she's already seen season 8 with me when it was new and she was here anyway, so I guess we're pretty much done tho we'll probably rewatch season 8 as well. Then some rest until season 9 arrives on Netflix — in the meantime, we'll continue watching Downton Abbey and whatnot!
Just the most recent? Or a season or two before that?
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa » Sat 26 Sep 2015, 23:33

Season counting was restarted with the new series, so I recommend you start with season 1 and watch all the 8 full seasons there are so far! [tick]
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » Sat 26 Sep 2015, 23:45

I would not recommend starting with the 1963 — 1989 'original', because there are quite a few (97) episodes missing (thanks, BBC wipe-out policy!), and plot-holes would confuse you.

I started with the 1963 series (being really disappointed when I found out that some episodes are lost), and I'm switching back and forth between the new and the old series.
As Prinsessa said, start with the 2005 reboot (but please, do never refer to Christopher Eccleston's Doctor as 'the first Doctor' – you'll be upgraded, exterminated and eaten in the same night).
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Sat 26 Sep 2015, 23:56

Egerius wrote:
I would not recommend starting with the 1963 — 1989 'original', because there are quite a few (97) episodes missing (thanks, BBC wipe-out policy!), and plot-holes would confuse you.

I started with the 1963 series (being really disappointed when I found out that some episodes are lost), and I'm switching back and forth between the new and the old series.
As Prinsessa said, start with the 2005 reboot (but please, do never refer to Christopher Eccleston's Doctor as 'the first Doctor' – you'll be upgraded, exterminated and eaten in the same night).
[+1]

I grew up watching some of the original Doctor Who serials as and when they were shown as repeats on BBC1 and BBC2, but there's close to 700 episodes running from the First to the Eighth Doctor, with 97 of the first 250 odd episodes missing, so I never watched them all.

There are a few people online who have suggested episodes from the the "Classic Who" series that they feel deal with some of the major development of the programme before the start of New Who (or even including New Who episodes) so that you don't have to get bogged down watching them all.

New Who's probably the easiest point to start watching since it's currently running and is almost like a reboot, so it tends to revisit developments which occurred in Classic Who anyway without too much difficulty or confusion.
Just one time.