Doctor Who Discussion

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Re: Doctor Who Discussion

Post by Lambuzhao » Sun 27 Sep 2015, 13:39

Just start watching Who. Let it sink in & take hold.
The best part of ANY regeneration is that some episodes will be wonky and terrible (ridiculous costumes, endless walking through quarries, wooden George Lucas dialogue, etc), while others will be utter brilliance.
Now...just what those episodes are? You'll get some consensus, but best advice: Just watch some for yourself.
Start watching!

[:P]
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Sun 27 Sep 2015, 13:47

Are the Boo-Bahs children of the Yeti?
Spoiler:
[O.O]

I would not be surprised.
Adarain
greek
greek

Post by Adarain » Sun 11 Oct 2015, 22:33

Well, I've just caught up. Episode 1 I found rather crappy. The other three were brilliant.

Also, suggestion to anyone: Dalek War audiobooks. Absolutely brilliant. And it's Doctor Who without the doctor. Which may sound weird, but hey, Torchwood didn't feature the Doctor either and season three of that was brilliant.
At kveldi skal dag lęyfa,
Konu es bręnnd es,
Mæki es ręyndr es,
Męy es gefin es,
Ís es yfir kømr,
Ǫl es drukkit es.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Sun 26 Jun 2016, 22:13

Another SW-DW crossover. My son correctly identified Admiral Ozzel (Michaael Sheard) to be Laurence Scarman in Pyramids of Mars. Or vice-versa.
Well, you get my drift. [;)]
Spoiler:
OTʜᴇB
roman
roman

Post by OTʜᴇB » Sun 26 Jun 2016, 22:19

Egerius wrote:
qwed117 wrote:What's Doctor Who? Do I need to start all the way from the 1920's beginning to understand the show?
I would not recommend starting with the 1963 — 1989 'original', because there are quite a few (97) episodes missing (thanks, BBC wipe-out policy!), and plot-holes would confuse you.

I started with the 1963 series (being really disappointed when I found out that some episodes are lost), and I'm switching back and forth between the new and the old series.
As Prinsessa said, start with the 2005 reboot (but please, do never refer to Christopher Eccleston's Doctor as 'the first Doctor' – you'll be upgraded, exterminated and eaten in the same night).
Tom Baker, always. Watch the Tom Baker doctor, watch some of the later ones here and there to get a taste for it, then Eccleton onward! My top 3 is: Tennant, Baker, Capaldy. Smith is 4th and Eccleston 5th, though I will admit I've far too few of the Eccleston episodes [:(]
:con: : Dijo
:con: : Language 8 (Reviving Dijo)

BTW I use Arch
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander » Sun 26 Jun 2016, 23:02

OTheB wrote:
Egerius wrote:
qwed117 wrote:What's Doctor Who? Do I need to start all the way from the 1920's beginning to understand the show?
I would not recommend starting with the 1963 — 1989 'original', because there are quite a few (97) episodes missing (thanks, BBC wipe-out policy!), and plot-holes would confuse you.

I started with the 1963 series (being really disappointed when I found out that some episodes are lost), and I'm switching back and forth between the new and the old series.
As Prinsessa said, start with the 2005 reboot (but please, do never refer to Christopher Eccleston's Doctor as 'the first Doctor' – you'll be upgraded, exterminated and eaten in the same night).
Tom Baker, always. Watch the Tom Baker doctor, watch some of the later ones here and there to get a taste for it, then Eccleton onward! My top 3 is: Tennant, Baker, Capaldy. Smith is 4th and Eccleston 5th, though I will admit I've far too few of the Eccleston episodes [:(]
It's Capaldi. Also, it's hard to have watched 'far too few' of the Eccleston ones because there's only 13 of them!

I found Smith infuriating, not so much as an actor, but because of the lines and stories he had to deliver, and also because he just seemed to have an air of cockiness about him which really puts me off.

Anyway I would also recommend Tom Baker, partly because he did so much good stuff. Pertwe is probably bit too, aristocratic and at times a bit patronising, shall we say, for an introduction, and from Davidson onwards it starts to get silly, and I don't think I find the effects as convincing, weirdly.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Mon 27 Jun 2016, 12:42

I happened to be introduced to the Doctor via PBS in 1980 & ff.
It so happened thus:

Tom Baker (hypersaturation) - Peter Davidson - Colin Baker - Jon Pertwee - Sylvester McCoy - Patrick Traughton...

... much later - Paul McGann, Peter Cushing, Rowan Atkinson [B)]

My son started with the new series, which I have tried binging in fits and starts.

He adores the older Who, though. The cheap budgets, the "running down the same hallway shot at different angles" + "running through the same quarry at different angles" shots, the Mummers' quality of some alien costumes, the priceless ad-libs (well, what have to be ad-libs)... I could go on and on.

He likes Tom Baker and Jon Pertwee a lot. He was not impressed with Peter Davidson, nor Sylvester McCoy. He enjoys Colin Baker's hobsnobbery.

But Tom Baker is just in a class by himself. I think I was genuinely sick and tired of him as his run trickled out, but, coming back years later, he just has this unremittent gonzo avuncular charm IMHO. I try to give each Doctor a fair shake, and like them for each of their merits, but jelly babies, for heaven's sake!

Pyramids of Mars, The Key to Time Series, Brain of Morbius, 4th Doctor -v- Daleks... classics all!

Also, Sarah Jane Smith is just no nonsense & kick ass. Sure, she has her "screaming mimi" moments, but she goes toe to toe
with Pertwee and Baker (and loverboy Tennant) and holds her own.

Guardians Keep You, Elisabeth Sladen, where're you are!!!
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Mon 27 Jun 2016, 12:53

Frislander wrote:
It's Capaldi.
Like him. He's kind of stuffy, but better than Smith IMHO. My son is a Smith-nut, and we go round and round like cats and dogs about these two. Fanboy silliness in exceslis gallifreyensibus. [xP]

Also, it's hard to have watched 'far too few' of the Eccleston ones because there's only 13 of them!
I like Eccleston a lot. I don't understand if he snubbed BBC, or BBC snubbed him. Sad how that panned out.
He could've really kept Tennant-Smith in line, in an older brotherly sort of way, in a threesome special like "War Doctor".

I found Smith infuriating, not so much as an actor, but because of the lines and stories he had to deliver, and also because he just seemed to have an air of cockiness about him which really puts me off.
Too "Maxx Headroomy" for my taste (gosh, how to Carbon-14 myself!). He was too all over the place.
Also, he seemed all too ready for his seat at future Comicon events [:S]
But to be fair, he had some great moments.

Anyway I would also recommend Tom Baker, partly because he did so much good stuff.
quite right!
Pertwee is probably bit too, aristocratic and at times a bit patronising, shall we say, for an introduction,
He was a great foil to Tom Baker though, as I was introduced to him after Doctor #04.
and from Davidson onwards it starts to get silly, and I don't think I find the effects as convincing, weirdly.
Not enough jelly babies, and too much Mel. :roll:
Though Ace could really throw down.
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander » Mon 27 Jun 2016, 13:19

Lambuzhao wrote:I like Eccleston a lot. I don't understand if he snubbed BBC, or BBC snubbed him. Sad how that panned out.
He could've really kept Tennant-Smith in line, in an older brotherly sort of way, in a threesome special like "War Doctor".
I've heard that he left because he didn't want to get type-casted.
Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » Mon 27 Jun 2016, 14:27

Frislander wrote:
Lambuzhao wrote:I like Eccleston a lot. I don't understand if he snubbed BBC, or BBC snubbed him. Sad how that panned out. He could've really kept Tennant-Smith in line, in an older brotherly sort of way, in a threesome special like "War Doctor".
I've heard that he left because he didn't want to get type-casted.
I, too, should have enjoyed more Eccleston -- some more fleshing it out and making it his own before passing the baton.
Lambuzhao wrote:The cheap budgets, the "running down the same hallway shot at different angles" + "running through the same quarry at different angles" shots, the Mummers' quality of some alien costumes, the priceless ad-libs (well, what have to be ad-libs)... I could go on and on.
What makes earlier Who so delicious (and I teethed on Baker) is the high camp, and a real budget might not have fostered that. Avengers and Who -- good times.
Also, Sarah Jane Smith is just no nonsense & kick ass. Sure, she has her "screaming mimi" moments, but she goes toe to toe
with Pertwee and Baker (and loverboy Tennant) and holds her own.
I think we've done the agree to disagree thang on this before, but if anyone would trip over a tree root while running to escape, it's Sarah.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
OTʜᴇB
roman
roman

Post by OTʜᴇB » Mon 27 Jun 2016, 15:34

Frislander wrote: It's Capaldi. Also, it's hard to have watched 'far too few' of the Eccleston ones because there's only 13 of them!
How's one episode and the first half of another for far too few? I lost the second half of it from recording issues on my DVR box. I really should watch through all of them.
:con: : Dijo
:con: : Language 8 (Reviving Dijo)

BTW I use Arch
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Sun 29 Jan 2017, 03:47

Ha ha ha, à moi c'est très drôle.
He he he, this is mighty funny to me.
[xP]
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander » Sun 29 Jan 2017, 15:56

Lambuzhao wrote:Image

Ha ha ha, à moi c'est très drôle.
He he he, this is mighty funny to me.
[xP]
[xD]
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Thu 02 Feb 2017, 02:15

So there you go, Capaldi no longer once this season has concluded, and of course everyone who cares enough to talk about it is already trying to work out who the next Doctor will be. The usual "can the Doctor be a woman this time?" (canonically possible), and the usual names reappearing (Idris Elba, Billie Piper, etc.). I'm hoping they might take the character down the direction of the Second Doctor, after the slightly more "angry" and "dark" Doctor of Capaldi's run. Like, with the regeneration cycle now, I guess, reset, Capaldi was kind of a nod back to the First Doctor, so why not go down a similar path. Not completely re-use every aspect of the character, but similar. I think that could be a nice way to go [:)]
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander » Thu 02 Feb 2017, 10:32

sangi39 wrote:So there you go, Capaldi no longer once this season has concluded, and of course everyone who cares enough to talk about it is already trying to work out who the next Doctor will be. The usual "can the Doctor be a woman this time?" (canonically possible), and the usual names reappearing (Idris Elba, Billie Piper, etc.). I'm hoping they might take the character down the direction of the Second Doctor, after the slightly more "angry" and "dark" Doctor of Capaldi's run. Like, with the regeneration cycle now, I guess, reset, Capaldi was kind of a nod back to the First Doctor, so why not go down a similar path. Not completely re-use every aspect of the character, but similar. I think that could be a nice way to go [:)]
Capaldi nodded to No. 1? I'll say I don't know much of Hartnell, but I think I can see what you mean in terms of character, though in terms of the fashion sense Capaldi looks more like Pertwee.

As for who should succeed him, I asked my mum and she said Lenny Henry, pretty seriously too, so right now I'm kind of rooting for him as the next Doctor.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Mon 27 Feb 2017, 04:26

I have a DW question. Actually, this one is from my son,

We were watching Pyramids of Mars. it was at the point where Sarah Jane was wanting the Doctor to take her back to her own time in order to 'avoid' confronting Sutekh. So the Doctor takes her to her time on Earth after not confronting Sutekh. Implicitly, the space-time continuity has changed, and Doctor shows Sarah an Earth which is a barren wasteland due to Sutekh's released destructive power.

{frankly I think he just showed her somewhere on Mars during a particularly roiling sand-storm. Poor old Sarah would never have known the difference, n it would be just the sort of naughty jape that would be completely in-character for the 4th Doctor}

Anyway, my son asked me "Are there any other episodes where the Doctor deliberately goes forward in time after choosing not to 'fix' something or help someone, in order to show (e.g. an assistant) what would happen if they didn't fix/help?"

Frankly, my mind drew a blank.

Did this happen in any other episode(s)???

Suggestions?

A corollary to this question: has DW ever dealt with the idea of the Multiverse, and if so, could the Time-Lords travel between Universes?
Adarain
greek
greek

Post by Adarain » Mon 27 Feb 2017, 04:50

The Eight Doctor's Adventures (audio drama) play with the idea in S4. Curiously the martians are also involved.

As for the multiverse, Big Finish Main Range has a whole series where the eight doctor is trapped in a different universe; a few new who episodes play with different universes and universe bubbles and whatnot, I'm sadly not too watchèd in Old Who so idk if there's anything better.
At kveldi skal dag lęyfa,
Konu es bręnnd es,
Mæki es ręyndr es,
Męy es gefin es,
Ís es yfir kømr,
Ǫl es drukkit es.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Mon 27 Feb 2017, 05:09

Adarain wrote:The Eight Doctor's Adventures (audio drama) play with the idea in S4. Curiously the martians are also involved.
Interesting - thanks!
[:D]
As for the multiverse, Big Finish Main Range has a whole series where the eight doctor is trapped in a different universe; a few new who episodes play with different universes and universe bubbles and whatnot, I'm sadly not too watchèd in Old Who so idk if there's anything better.
Certainly this is a concept that the new series might bridle and ride. You remind me of the bubble-universe wherein the Time War was locked.

Hmmm... the Valyard in Trial of the Time Lord is technically an alter-generation of the Doctor Himself (said to have come into being between the 12th and final regenerations, or somesuch), and is a part of an alternate future of the Doctor that ultimately gets prevented... uy. I think I need a beer.

You know, the War-Doctor and the Valyard make interesting foils of one another, considering they're one and the same person.
I feel a fanfic percolating in the Multiverse....
[;)]
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Mon 27 Feb 2017, 05:14

Hmmmm.... considering all the previous episodes with the Daleks are in the 'future' of Genesis of the Daleks, I suppose the Time-Lords sending #4 back in time to try to prevent or hinder the development of the Daleks (it can be presumed that they foresaw the Great Time War with the Daleks), is akin to what I am looking for.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Sun 16 Apr 2017, 13:17

Completely blasphemous! Absolute Anathema! Utter Outrage! Crucify the cartoonist!!!!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... d28ff0.jpg

Well, since it's Doctor #4, hakuna matata.
I think it's even permitted, according to the Bull Temporum Spatiique Dimensionibus Relativis Utroque.

And of course, there's the more secular -

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... 07b74f.jpg

:roll: