Conversation Thread of the 3rd SPAM!

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Thakowsaizmu
puremetal
puremetal

Re: Conversation Thread of the 3rd SPAM!

Post by Thakowsaizmu » Wed 06 Nov 2013, 20:10

I'm almost interested in talking to them. My views on things are very different from the norm, to the point where people either get angry or scared when I explain them. But, I am kind of curious to honestly talk to them and see what it is they believe, from their own mouths.
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Wed 06 Nov 2013, 20:58

Thakowsaizmu wrote:I'm almost interested in talking to them. My views on things are very different from the norm, to the point where people either get angry or scared when I explain them. But, I am kind of curious to honestly talk to them and see what it is they believe, from their own mouths.
I used to belong (maybe I still belong, but they haven't been meeting) to a Heretics Anonymous Bible Study.*
Most of its members were ex-AG or ex-JW; many others were ex-RC; then there were born-that-way agnostics and atheists, and Jews and Muslims and Hindus, and I-don't-remember-what-else.
The people who ran it were an ex-AG and an ex-JW and an ex(?)-Hindu.

(*The rule was you could espouse any interpretation, even an orthodox one; but you couldn't use "it's orthodox" as a defense for it.)

Anyway, the main thing I ever found out from the JWs was that there really is such a thing as a Jehovah's Witness Protection Program!
Of course it has some other formal name; but its to help ex-JWs out.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Wed 06 Nov 2013, 21:55

Thakowsaizmu wrote:So... first time ever... Jehovah's Witnesses just came to my door. They just wanted to leave a pamphlet and come back later to chat...
When folks come a-knockin, I whip out my :grc: :lat: Novum Testamentum,
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/P/8 ... ZZZZZ_.jpg

And proceed to administer unction of Extreme Malice on top of their heads
And, um, well, let's just say
1) I clear my schedule for an hour or two.
2) Some people leave with a big unexpected headache.
3) I do know a thing or two about Jeebus Grischmas Wunderkindle.
4) Dey don't know me vewwy well, do dey? He he he he he he he.

If they're a little more on the feisty side of life,
I may get all Medieval Coptic Style on em. (Bashmuric, Lycopolitan, Memphitic; Is it safe?!?!??)
Or I may have to give 'em the Peshitta, the Whole Peshitta, and nothing other than The Peshitta.

God forgive me.
:roll:
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » Wed 06 Nov 2013, 22:17

I know a Jehovah's Witness in person, as we went to school together (until graduation put us apart [:(] ).
I can't complain about anything.
Often enough, we went somewhere when a few lessons (2+) dropped and during our journey we kept talking about, like, God, the world and freaking-out problems (and sometimes, we discussed Genesis or the Revelation and I always tried to explain it with science XD - and there was some good rate of agreement).

As time passed, I avoided topics (and vocabulary) she didn't like, but she is very tolerant, I must say.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing » Wed 06 Nov 2013, 22:38

I've been uploading photos to Wikimedia Commons tonight.
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Wed 06 Nov 2013, 22:43

I'm not sure if that's what JWs always do at their funerals, but this one "pastor" guy at the front of the hall, he didn't say anything in respect for my great-Aunt's death, all he did was preach Jehovah.

Mind you, they DO believe that a JW will be ressurected back to life, and I'm not saying anything against their religion

But, IMHO, I kinda felt it was like using people's deaths as a means of advertisement.
For one, most funerals have eulogies, this one didn't.
Image Ӯсцӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Vṛḵažaẇ (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Thakowsaizmu
puremetal
puremetal

Post by Thakowsaizmu » Thu 07 Nov 2013, 00:02

The reason I kind of want to chat about it and see what they have to say is because I only really know about their beliefs from a broad, academic point of view. The only one I ever met was a complete bitch (but that was just because she was a bitch as a person, and not because she was a JW) so I never bothered to talk with her about it.
cybrxkhan
mayan
mayan

Post by cybrxkhan » Thu 07 Nov 2013, 02:36

I knew a JW in high school, *think* he was an Indian kid but I could be confusing two people. Anyhow either way he didn't really bring up the subject at all.

Vaguely reminds me I used to be good friends with this really nice and friendly Mormon guy back in middle school, still keep in contact with him on facebook. He was pretty moderate, though. After I had a relatively tame experience with some otherwise polite but mildly creepy Mormon missionaries, he found it pretty funny and told me something like "ah it's alright, those Mormon brothers can be a little too eager sometimes".

*shrugs*
I now have a blog. Witness the horror.

I think I think, therefore I think I am.
- Ambrose Bierce
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov » Thu 07 Nov 2013, 03:26

I was into being pestered by Jehovah's Witnesses before it was cool.
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Thu 07 Nov 2013, 04:44

Sometimes I'm really mean and I talk in Latin to them... Now they think I'm a devil worshipper...
Image Ӯсцӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Vṛḵažaẇ (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Znex
roman
roman

Post by Znex » Thu 07 Nov 2013, 07:22

Lambuzhao wrote:When folks come a-knockin, I whip out my :grc: :lat: Novum Testamentum,
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/P/8 ... ZZZZZ_.jpg
[+1]
:eng: : [tick] | :grc: :wls: : [:|] | :chn: :isr: : [:S] | :nor: :deu: :rom: :ind: :con: : [:x]
Conlangs: Pofp'ash, Ikwawese, Old Quelgic, Nisukil Pʰakwi, Apsiska
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » Thu 07 Nov 2013, 12:48

Ahzoh wrote:Sometimes I'm really mean and I talk in Latin to them... Now they think I'm a devil worshipper...
Vulgatam Bibliam illis mostrare habes! Et ab ipsio tempore illis non dicere habent male super tibi.
You will show them the Vulgate Bible! And from that moment on they will no longer speak ill of you.
Edit: Fixed potential bomb in Vulgar Latin statement. [O.O] [:$] And fixed a typo.
Last edited by Egerius on Mon 11 Nov 2013, 20:59, edited 2 times in total.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
Chagen
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Chagen » Thu 07 Nov 2013, 17:29

You know, I've recently discovered that while conworlding more "ancient/old" times in your conworld, a huge amount of non-sensical things can be justified because "people did stupid shit back then".

Everytime I read about real-world history a huge amount of events seem to be only explainable with the phrase "It was Ancient TimesTM and people did Dumb ShitTM back then for god knows what dumbass reasons."

Honestly people as a whole have been immensely idiotic over the past few millennia.
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
Thakowsaizmu
puremetal
puremetal

Post by Thakowsaizmu » Thu 07 Nov 2013, 19:05

Humanity is just as stupid now as it ever was. Don't fall into that trap where you equate technological advances with overall intelligence of a species [:|]
Xonen

Post by Xonen » Thu 07 Nov 2013, 19:18

Chagen wrote:You know, I've recently discovered that while conworlding more "ancient/old" times in your conworld, a huge amount of non-sensical things can be justified because "people did stupid shit back then".
If you're lazy, then yes. People, even stupid people, usually have reasons that make sense to them; figuring them out (or, in this case, making them up) just requires a bit more thought on your part.

Also, what Thakowsaizmu said. We might be slightly better educated, on average, these days than a few hundred years ago, but it's depressingly obvious to anyone who's ever seen a reality show or the YouTube comment section that this really hasn't translated into the whole species somehow becoming more intelligent.
Chagen
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Chagen » Thu 07 Nov 2013, 19:41

Xonen wrote: If you're lazy, then yes. People, even stupid people, usually have reasons that make sense to them; figuring them out (or, in this case, making them up) just requires a bit more thought on your part.
And quite often said reasons make zero rational sense. They often are completely flawed logically and are simply incomprehensible to more rational people such as us modern-day humans.
Also, what Thakowsaizmu said. We might be slightly better educated, on average, these days than a few hundred years ago, but it's depressingly obvious to anyone who's ever seen a reality show or the YouTube comment section that this really hasn't translated into the whole species somehow becoming more intelligent.
Alright, we'll always have stupid people, but humanity as a whole now leans more towards rationalism than they did before.
Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing » Thu 07 Nov 2013, 20:12

Chagen wrote:
Xonen wrote: If you're lazy, then yes. People, even stupid people, usually have reasons that make sense to them; figuring them out (or, in this case, making them up) just requires a bit more thought on your part.
And quite often said reasons make zero rational sense. They often are completely flawed logically and are simply incomprehensible to more rational people such as us modern-day humans.
Do you mean, that those reasons make no sense to you, or that the can't make sense to any human being?
Xonen

Post by Xonen » Thu 07 Nov 2013, 21:18

Chagen wrote:
Uh-huh. Care to mention an example of such inscrutably mysterious Ancient Timey idiocy?
Alright, we'll always have stupid people, but humanity as a whole now leans more towards rationalism than they did before.
Rationalism ≠ intelligence. Not automatically, at least.
Chagen
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Chagen » Thu 07 Nov 2013, 21:36

Xonen wrote:
Chagen wrote:
Uh-huh. Care to mention an example of such inscrutably mysterious Ancient Timey idiocy?
Religion.

Unfortunately that still persists but you get the point.
Thakowsaizmu
puremetal
puremetal

Post by Thakowsaizmu » Thu 07 Nov 2013, 21:45

Chagen wrote:
Xonen wrote:
Chagen wrote:
Religion.

Unfortunately that still persists but you get the point.
Defend your statement. What religion? What about religion? What era? What culture? What geographical location? I, for one, do not get your point at all.