What are you listening to/watching?

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Re: What are you listening to/watching?

Post by eldin raigmore » Sat 17 Mar 2018, 16:45

Lambuzhao wrote:
Fri 16 Mar 2018, 09:41
Celia Cruz - Yo viviré
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRID6bN71dY
Lit. "I will live (on)"
From the album with almost the same title Siempre viviré
'I will live forever'
W00T!
That’s a very good song, and it’s to the same tune, and has a similar meaning title; but it is not a translation or or re-composition of Gloria Gaynor‘s original. I like Regine’s Je Survivrai A lot for a recasting of the original ideas into native seeming French. —- Similarly I don’t think the “French version” of Paint It Black” is really the same song. Although the Italian and Spanish and German versions are. And I don’t think the Spanish (?) Version of Hallelujah is the same at all.
Bruce
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Bruce » Sun 18 Mar 2018, 23:32

I'm listening to Graham Plowman's The Rats in the Walls. Plowman specializes in Lovecraftian music and his music creates an eerie effect through the use of synthesizers and theremins(?).
alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » Mon 19 Mar 2018, 02:38

Finally got around to watching Guardians of the Galaxy 2! It's kind of funny... if it wasn't an MCU movie, I don't think I would've ever watched something like it. I do love sci-fi, but in truth I haven't watched a lot of it lately beyond series I'm already familiar with. But I did enjoy it a lot, and I'm really curious now to see how the Guardians are going to tie into Infinity War. If anybody has personal beef with Thanos, after all, it's them.

It's also kind of interesting to contrast it with Thor: Ragnarok, which takes place in the same universe (although... at least a couple years after the events of GotG 2? The timeline is a mess). Both do a lot of kind of weird cosmic "magic" stuff (although Thor is of course more mythological while GotG is more straight soft sci-fi), both are beautifully colorful movies where the heroes travel to various places around the universe and run into various weird aliens, both have laser guns and spaceships, both have family as a major theme... but they feel so different from each other. Part of it might be that the focus in GotG is on the main characters as a team and a found family, whereas in Thor, the main characters are much more individual. Yeah, they're working together, but in a more independent way, if that makes any sense.

On the more negative side, I did feel that GotG 2 was a lot weaker than the first one. I really enjoyed it, I thought it was a gorgeous movie with some really nice character moments and a satisfying story, but... I dunno. Despite it being a pretty long movie, it felt like not a whole lot happened. Still looking forward to them rolling up in Infinity War, though!

(also, not really a spoiler, but... that was the Watchers, right? Is that hinting that Galactus might show up eventually, or were they intended to just be a joke??)
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Sat 24 Mar 2018, 01:07

R.I.P. Stephen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPV3D7f3bHY

Although from 4 years back, still a great interview, and Prof. Hawking is clearly having some fun with it.

His look of complete ennui at 5:00 ,after John Oliver starts to explain his hypothetical "street smarts" situation, is especially priceless.

R.I.P.

Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Sat 24 Mar 2018, 01:14

alynnidalar wrote:
Mon 19 Mar 2018, 02:38
(also, not really a spoiler, but... that was the Watchers, right? Is that hinting that Galactus might show up eventually, or were they intended to just be a joke??)
Certainly some humorous fan-service on the one hand, but I would not put it past them to have this easter egg hatch into something 'bigger' down the line.

Couldn't stop thinking how the look of Kurt Russell's Ego reminded me of Jeff Bridges elder Flynn in Tron:Legacy. [xP]
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd » Tue 03 Apr 2018, 20:35

Ойся ты ойся
Eastern cheerleader...
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Fri 20 Apr 2018, 02:27

I thought the actress playing Bobbie the Martian Marine on The Expanse seemed to have a New Zealand accent.
I looked her up and it turns out Frankie Adams really is from New Zealand. I am so proud of myself
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » Sat 21 Apr 2018, 03:53

So much K-pop...

Namely :yout: BTS - DNA
Don't live to conlang; conlang to live.

My conlang: Image Lihmelinyan
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Sun 22 Apr 2018, 02:27

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Wed 25 Apr 2018, 18:17

Just realised I was listening to Behemoth's "Thou Shalt Win Forever" twice at the same time, one copy playing about 30 seconds behind the other one, and honestly it actually sounds pretty damn good! [:D]
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Thu 26 Apr 2018, 14:30

I’m not actually watching it yet, and haven’t even made up my mind to yet;
But I am intrigued by the gender-swapped remake of “Overboard “ that’s coming out.
alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » Fri 27 Apr 2018, 17:53

Gonna see Infinity War tonight! I'll have to post my impressions here afterward.

What I'm expecting, however, is something that's a bit formulaic, but still thoroughly enjoyable (as are most Marvel movies at this point). This is in no way a flaw.
k1234567890y
runic
runic

Post by k1234567890y » Wed 02 May 2018, 18:37

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8q8-KmHuok

ce Manju gisun jai Sibe gisun be gisurembi! - They are speaking Manchu and Sibe!
私のアツい人工言語活動!言カツ!始まります!!
alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » Thu 03 May 2018, 15:59

Ha, just realized I never actually posted what I thought about Infinity War!

Without spoilers, I will say that I didn't expect it to go at all the way it did. It was very much and very obviously the first half of a story--I saw somebody say on Twitter that they were really excited to see Infinity War, and then they saw Infinity War, and afterward they were still excited to see Infinity War! As such, I find it difficult to judge. I can talk about whether or not I like the story so far--but it's not a single contained story, and a lot of what happened during this half of the story is obviously going to be reworked/reversed/undone/overridden in the other half of the story.

More spoilery thoughts to follow... turns out I have a lot to say:
Spoiler:
Ironically for a movie that ends with a huge number of people dying off, the movie didn't actually kill very many people. Obviously all the dust deaths are likely to be reversed, and it seems highly likely that Gamora's death will be reversed as well--if she's even dead at all, which we technically don't know. And for all their talk of "oh yeah Loki's dead for realsies this time", it's pretty difficult to believe that after how many times he's "died" before. Vision might have lost the Mind Stone, but half the entire movie dealt with the possibility that Vision could survive without the Mind Stone--so I would not be surprised if he recovers in the next movie (perhaps repaired by Shuri, if she's still around). About the only dead character who I expect to stay dead is Heimdall, which is too bad because he's still the only competent Asgardian.

So for all this talk about who dies in Infinity War... at this point, we don't actually know. Thanos already used the Time Stone to reverse time to get an outcome he wanted; it seems very likely that the Avengers will be able to do the same thing. I've been saying all along that I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out no major characters actually stayed dead. Perhaps that'd be cheap, but it's entirely plausible.

Anyway. On other topics:

It annoyed me that no less than three different people did the exact same "I'll give you the stone if you let X live" thing. I don't like that trope, but if they'd used it once, even twice, I could have dealt with it. But THREE TIMES??? Please come up with a different plot point. (In fairness, Loki only handed over the stone as part of a larger plan--a plan I doubt we've seen the end of yet--and Dr. Strange heavily implied that he only turned over the Time Stone because that was part of the one path to success that he foresaw. But it did get same-y. By the time Strange was doing it, I was just sort of rolling my eyes at it happening again.)

Thor and Rocket are weird friends now and I adore that. For all the internet's whining about Thor's Ragnarok personality being erased in this movie, it really wasn't!

I had no clue how the whole "Star Lord meets everyone else and they figure out everyone's from Earth" thing was going to go down, but I liked it! I appreciate that it came out through a stupid joke. Very appropriate. "I'm not from Earth, I'm from Missouri!" got a huge laugh.

As for the next movie, people have been making a big deal over Antman and Hawkeye not being in the movie, but it's obvious this is because they're going to play a bigger role in the second movie. Valkyrie also didn't show up. And Captain Marvel only appeared in the post-credits scene. Captain Marvel is a big giant question mark--her movie's set in the 90s, so where has she been this whole time (and why will she look exactly the same when she shows up in Infinity War?). Until her movie comes out, it's hard to guess how she'll fit into the next Avengers movie, but she's clearly going to play a major role.

Right now on Titan, we've got Nebula and Iron Man (a weird combo if I ever saw one). In Wakanda on Earth, we have most of the other original Avengers (Thor, Captain America, Hulk, Black Widow) plus Rocket, Okoye, and M'baku. We can be pretty confident that Valkyrie is kicking around out in space somewhere, and on Earth somewhere we've got Hawkeye, Antman, Wasp (presumably), and Captain Marvel. (of course there's random other characters rattling around that might show up--the Ravagers from GotG 2, Wong, Pepper, Korg--but considering how many characters are already in Infinity War, I doubt many of them are going to show up)

This is massively speculative, but I feel like Iron Man is going to want to get back to Earth immediately, while Nebula will want to search for Gamora. It'd be really weird for them to team up, so either they're going to take separate spaceships from Titan (the Guardians and Nebula each had a ship there, right?), or they're going to have the strangest buddy cop arc ever, searching for Gamora and then heading to Earth or wherever else the main showdown is going to be. Or maybe we're in for a Gamora/Nebula/Valkyrie teamup!

Aside from that, I honestly don't have a ton of speculations yet--the story could go in so many different ways (especially if more people die/some are resurrected before the others). I'm confident that more people are going to "die" before the end and that Captain Marvel will play a major role in defeating Thanos, but that's all I got.
Overall, I think it was a good movie, but it's hard to judge because it's only half of whole. It definitely doesn't work well as a standalone movie. If you're behind on Marvel movies, I would strongly suggest watching Thor Ragnarok (which will explain what's going on with Asgard and the Hulk) and Black Panther (which will explain Wakanda and a bunch of Wakandan characters); GotG 2 is nice for introducing a couple characters but not necessarily required if you've seen the first one. Dr. Strange is probably also a good idea because Infinity War doesn't spend a lot of time explaining him or his powers (other than "he's a wizard").
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » Tue 08 May 2018, 21:32

I'm listening to "Ashes" by Céline Dion for the "Deadpool 2" soundtrack. She's always so sincere and has such a great sense of humor, I can imagine Deadpool being a Céline superfan and her agreeing to do the song just as a favor for a fan. :mrgreen: This is the third movie tie-in she's done that I know about, and I've adored all three of them.
Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » Sat 12 May 2018, 06:11

On the Chinese video site provided by Tencent, I've stumbled upon a German series, Das Traumhotel (listed under "movies", I guess, because each episode is 90 minutes long). The plots are utterly vapid, but it's great German practice, since you know where the story trajectory is going early on (and some have English and Chinese subtitles and some just Chinese subtitles). I've absorbed so much German vocabulary. [:D]

The show is not without its problems.

The premise is a man (looking about my age) is the overseeing manager of a chain of luxury hotels owned by his aunt (also looking about my age [O.o], you Germans preserve well -- must be the yoghurt). Anyway, he travels to far-flung exotic locations where these hotels are located and the plots unroll.

1) I mean, I kind of get the luxury hotel thing -- you go to get pampered, have someone else do the dishes. I've done this myself with my boyfriend, for a little pampering -- not the whole sauna, massage, pool with no one in it experience -- but a nice room, a nice buffet (and my apartment is nice, but hot water with/and water pressure is just a joy forever). But when we've done that, it's been local. You don't have to fly across the globe to get this experience.

2) Suites. How many cushioned chairs, settees, and couches does a double-room need which no one ever uses? Watch this show and find out!

3) How many palm trees do you need? Must you replay the theme song at every interlude?

4) Die Superreichen have problems in their love lives? Oh, boo, hoo, hoo.

5) Wherever they go to, the locals are merely props, they're there only to open car doors and hand white Germans glasses of champagne. And yet wherever they go, our protagonist has a local who is a "good friend". And everyone speaks German.

Of course, as the theme song reminds us ad nauseum, it's just a Phantasie.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Birdlang
greek
greek

Post by Birdlang » Sat 12 May 2018, 12:44

I’m listening to a lot of Indonesian and similar music. It’s great practice because some of the videos have English subtitles. Not all of them do though. A lot of dangdut, which is Indonesian style rock, mixed with a bit of Indian Bollywood movie OST and Arabic pop. Also some kids music, which is great for learning the basic vocabulary. Dangdut teaches me a lot of slang and up to date terminology.
I’ve also been listening to a lot of other Asian songs. Really learning some Vietnamese and Mandarin as well.
Here’s some examples
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PM99Y0tDBvw Madu & Racun by Bill & Brod/Arie Wibowo. Like that pentatonic scale and DX7 solo. Sadly, he died in 2011. His big heyday was in the 80’s as you can see, released in 1985.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4wPLmS6_m34 Si Jantung Hati by Ade Putra from 1986.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yLeQAS5xSAg More recent electronic
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kQV1XM58iUY Dangdut sounds like this, lots of guitar and keyboard which I like
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TuohvLw2xAc Some Hokkien pop Hokkien version of Madu & Racun nice keyboard and sax too.
Ꭓꭓ Ʝʝ Ɬɬ Ɦɦ Ɡɡ Ɥɥ Ɫɫ Ɽɽ Ɑɑ Ɱɱ Ɐɐ Ɒɒ Ɓɓ Ɔɔ Ɖɖ Ɗɗ Əə Ɛɛ Ɠɠ Ɣɣ Ɯɯ Ɲɲ Ɵɵ Ʀʀ Ʃʃ Ʈʈ Ʊʊ Ʋʋ Ʒʒ Ꞵꞵ Ʉʉ Ʌʌ Ŋŋ Ɂɂ Ɪɪ Ææ Øø Ð𠌜 Ɜɜ Ǝɘ
Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Creyeditor » Sat 12 May 2018, 13:26

Lao Kou wrote:
Sat 12 May 2018, 06:11
On the Chinese video site provided by Tencent, I've stumbled upon a German series, Das Traumhotel (listed under "movies", I guess, because each episode is 90 minutes long). The plots are utterly vapid, but it's great German practice, since you know where the story trajectory is going early on (and some have English and Chinese subtitles and some just Chinese subtitles). I've absorbed so much German vocabulary. [:D]

The show is not without its problems.

The premise is a man (looking about my age) is the overseeing manager of a chain of luxury hotels owned by his aunt (also looking about my age [O.o], you Germans preserve well -- must be the yoghurt). Anyway, he travels to far-flung exotic locations where these hotels are located and the plots unroll.

1) I mean, I kind of get the luxury hotel thing -- you go to get pampered, have someone else do the dishes. I've done this myself with my boyfriend, for a little pampering -- not the whole sauna, massage, pool with no one in it experience -- but a nice room, a nice buffet (and my apartment is nice, but hot water with/and water pressure is just a joy forever). But when we've done that, it's been local. You don't have to fly across the globe to get this experience.

2) Suites. How many cushioned chairs, settees, and couches does a double-room need which no one ever uses? Watch this show and find out!

3) How many palm trees do you need? Must you replay the theme song at every interlude?

4) Die Superreichen have problems in their love lives? Oh, boo, hoo, hoo.

5) Wherever they go to, the locals are merely props, they're there only to open car doors and hand white Germans glasses of champagne. And yet wherever they go, our protagonist has a local who is a "good friend". And everyone speaks German.

Of course, as the theme song reminds us ad nauseum, it's just a Phantasie.
I watched that show once I think. It's the other kind of low-quality TV for Germans. The first type, often called 'Assi-TV' is made for young and 'poor' people, whereas series such as 'Das Traumhotel' are made for rich and old people. Both appeal to the baser human instincts [:D]
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]