(EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
alynnidalar
roman
roman

Re: (EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by alynnidalar » Tue 08 Sep 2015, 16:47

Not that I'm aware of, but if you put it in your signature, it would show up on all your posts so people could easily see it.
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Wed 09 Sep 2015, 02:22

druneragarsh wrote:What I'd really like: Refer to me with any sex-neutral (or feminine) 3s pronoun, either from English (no singular they please) or from one of your conlangs!
I guess I'd refer to you as "qhol" (or "hol") then.
Image Ӯсцӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image ʾEšd Yatvṛḵažaẇ (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Znex
roman
roman

Post by Znex » Mon 19 Oct 2015, 13:39

I'm not sure if PMs are working for me anymore; when I try to send a PM, it just sits in the outbox and doesn't move to sent items or anything. Am I supposed to wait for something?
:eng: : [tick] | :grc: :wls: : [:|] | :chn: :isr: : [:S] | :nor: :deu: :rom: :ind: :con: : [:x]
Conlangs: Pofp'ash, Ikwawese, Old Quelgic, Nisukil Pʰakwi, Apsiska
Aszev
admin
admin

Post by Aszev » Mon 19 Oct 2015, 15:30

Znex wrote:I'm not sure if PMs are working for me anymore; when I try to send a PM, it just sits in the outbox and doesn't move to sent items or anything. Am I supposed to wait for something?
Afaik, PMs remain in the outbox until they're received/opened, when they're moved to the sent folder.
Sound change works in mysterious ways.

Image CE
Shemtov
mayan
mayan

Post by Shemtov » Fri 18 Dec 2015, 07:19

Not totally sure this question belongs here, but, anyway......
Does anybody know what courses a student at a 2-year college in the United States should take to be best prepared to transfer to a Linguistics program in a 4-year college? None of the counselors at my college really know; one even thought "Linguistics" was some kind of computer science. :roll: (This is despite the college actually offering a intro to Linguistics, though, for some reason under the English department [O.o]) I guess I should take as many foreign Language courses as I can; I've already taken 2 levels of Arabic, and 1 Level each of German and Spanish (I actually took Spanish 102 and failed- my linguistic center seems to be "allergic" to Romance languages. But if I take it again and pass, I can erase the F. [:)] )
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Fri 18 Dec 2015, 07:27

I think you'd be best served looking into what a 4-year university program might like to see for an applicant into their Linguistics department. From there, you can see how close you can get at your current school.

However, it may end up being less than ideal since as far as I know not all courses at 2-year schools transfer to universities. Something to consider before you spend the money on courses.
Shemtov
mayan
mayan

Post by Shemtov » Fri 18 Dec 2015, 07:54

Thrice Xandvii wrote: However, it may end up being less than ideal since as far as I know not all courses at 2-year schools transfer to universities. Something to consider before you spend the money on courses.
I'm not to worried about that, as there are quite a few local universities with Linguistic programs that have a cooperation with my 2-year college.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » Fri 18 Dec 2015, 09:15

I would look into contacting someone at the university/universities you are considering - the head of the linguistics department, for instance, or a professor listed as a linguistics major adviser. Faculty and administration in the program itself might be more knowledgeable on what courses you need and how credits transfer.
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Sat 19 Dec 2015, 01:33

Shemtov wrote:Not totally sure this question belongs here, but, anyway......
Does anybody know what courses a student at a 2-year college in the United States should take to be best prepared to transfer to a Linguistics program in a 4-year college? None of the counselors at my college really know; one even thought "Linguistics" was some kind of computer science. :roll: (This is despite the college actually offering a intro to Linguistics, though, for some reason under the English department [O.o]) I guess I should take as many foreign Language courses as I can; I've already taken 2 levels of Arabic, and 1 Level each of German and Spanish (I actually took Spanish 102 and failed- my linguistic center seems to be "allergic" to Romance languages. But if I take it again and pass, I can erase the F. [:)] )

At Wayne State University (a full university -- not only 4-year degrees, but also graduate programs), my "intro to Linguistics" course was labeled "Sophomore English".
I expect they'd teach that at some 2-year schools.
alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » Sat 19 Dec 2015, 15:41

Dormouse559 wrote:I would look into contacting someone at the university/universities you are considering - the head of the linguistics department, for instance, or a professor listed as a linguistics major adviser. Faculty and administration in the program itself might be more knowledgeable on what courses you need and how credits transfer.
This is a good idea. Unless the 2-year college has a very close link to the 4-year universit(y/ies) you're interested in, the staff of that college probably wouldn't know for sure. (and even if they did know, they might not be up to date on the latest changes in the linguistics program at the university)

You could also try checking the websites of both your college and the universit(y/ies) you're looking at to see if they have a list of what credits will transfer from one to the other. If you're looking at local universities, they may have such lists already on their websites.

I went to a university where it was quite common for people to do their first two years at a local 2-year college, then transfer over to finish up at the local 4-year university, and the above seemed to work out best for them.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Mon 21 Dec 2015, 03:00

Shemtov wrote:Not totally sure this question belongs here, but, anyway......
[+1] to what the others have said.

Since linguistics is a 'liberal art' program, I would definitely consider taking some basic sciences (biology, chemistry and perhaps anatomy/physiology). Just to broaden your liberal education. Perhaps some literature or art classes.

Apart from that, take care of all your basics: English, Sociology, basic Math and the like. You might even take that intro to linguistics course.

Some other things to consider: pop on over to the 4 year university you plan on attending (if it's close enough to home) and pick up one of their course catalogs, or check out the course catalog online. See what the program involves, what the prereqs are and so forth. See how their program compares with other big name linguistics programs. Basic planning and strategic placement of yourself.

One other angle to consider. I don't know what uni you're planning on for linguistics, but there are several conlangers teaching in linguistics departments -- you might consider trawling the Conlang archives to find out who's where and get in contact with them. Especially if it's a school you're considering! Or join the list and outright ask! You might also contact the Language Creation Society.

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » Wed 24 Feb 2016, 00:45

How should I pronounce hegemony? I used to pronounce it /hig@moUni/ but everyone else pronounces it differently!
Spoiler: show
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn » Wed 24 Feb 2016, 00:48

qwed117 wrote:How should I pronounce hegemony? I used to pronounce it /hig@moUni/ but everyone else pronounces it differently!
That's one of those words that are so definitely latinate that i can't help but pronounce them way closer to my native Portuguese than i should. Long story short i have no idea what's the correct pronunciation supposed to be.
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » Wed 24 Feb 2016, 04:38

It was a long time before I heard "hegemony" pronounced. The pronunciation I'm most familiar with is /həˈdʒɛməni/. Being pin-pen merged, I say /həˈdʒɪməni/. Don't ask me how to say "hegemon", though. [xD]
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Wed 24 Feb 2016, 06:50

I don't think I've ever heard the word said out loud... but in my head, I say: /'hɛdʒ.ə.moʊ̯.ni/
DesEsseintes
cleardarkness
cleardarkness

Post by DesEsseintes » Wed 24 Feb 2016, 08:22

Dormouse559 wrote:/həˈdʒɛməni/
[+1] or rather /hɪˈdʒɛməni/. I'd only go for a /g/ in company that would appreciate it. [:P]

As for hegemon, I vote for "hidge-moan"...
Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » Wed 24 Feb 2016, 09:19

Dormouse559 wrote:Don't ask me how to say "hegemon", though. [xD]

"Hegemon!"
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano » Tue 29 Mar 2016, 17:24

Is there a purpose for the [quot] tag? As far as I can tell, it seems to be the same as
but with a different look.
Someone wrote:This is a
tag.
Someone wrote:
This is a [quot] tag.
:eng: - Native
:chn: - B2
:esp: - A2
:jpn: - A2
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » Tue 29 Mar 2016, 18:43

It's for when you want to quot someone. [:P]

Quot the raven:
The Raven wrote:
Nevermore
It also seems to require attribution and to not be sensitive to language settings, unlike the quote tags.
So essentially, it's a less attractive, less flexible version of the quote tags, which leads me to believe there's a reason it doesn't get a button in the post editor.
alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » Thu 31 Mar 2016, 19:24

Presumably just for the different look, the same as how there's two spoiler tags depending on how you want it to be formatted.
Spoiler: show
spoiler!
different spoiler!