(EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Re: (EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by Salmoneus » Sun 29 Apr 2018, 15:34

Creyeditor wrote:
Sun 29 Apr 2018, 12:49
If I think about a problem, it often helps to explain the question/problem to someone. Usually, this already gets me a step closer to the solution.
John Wisdom once said that philosophical questions, if asked fully, answer themselves. I find it's true of most questions people ask - at least, questions where they are confused, rather than questions where they simply lack access to the data.
LinguistCat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by LinguistCat » Mon 30 Apr 2018, 02:29

Salmoneus wrote:
Sun 29 Apr 2018, 15:34
Creyeditor wrote:
Sun 29 Apr 2018, 12:49
If I think about a problem, it often helps to explain the question/problem to someone. Usually, this already gets me a step closer to the solution.
John Wisdom once said that philosophical questions, if asked fully, answer themselves. I find it's true of most questions people ask - at least, questions where they are confused, rather than questions where they simply lack access to the data.
In my case it was probably asking the question that helped me better articulate what I was looking for in key terms that I could then use to search. But asking better questions is the first step to getting better answers I guess [:3]
fruityloops
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by fruityloops » Fri 11 May 2018, 19:42

If I took a bug and made it very humanoid with a human personality while not sacrificing his animal instincts....would you relate to him?
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » Fri 11 May 2018, 19:47

Personally, no, probably not. You can't please everyone though.
Pabappa
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Pabappa » Fri 11 May 2018, 21:05

fruityloops wrote:
Fri 11 May 2018, 19:42
If I took a bug and made it very humanoid with a human personality while not sacrificing his animal instincts....would you relate to him?
possibly, depends on what type of bug and on their personality. I did just that about 6 years ago with a video game I didn't quite finish... though the player might not realize they're arthropods with their suits on.... But I still relate to them as much as I ever did to the humans in that game. See background of pabappa.com if curious .... most of the time they appear with "bomb suits" , effectively becoming Bombs. It's ambiguous what happens to their middle legs while their suits are on, because out of the suit they have six legs . That said, if I can relate to a bomb, even a 4 legged one, I can relate to an insect. Just try to make sure it has some way of expressing emotions and looking thoughtful.

It may be worth noting that Jim Davis, creator of Garfield, tried to run a strip called Gnorm Gnat and was denied. It took c.20 yrs for him to draw a Garfield strip story arc that featured an insect as the main character.
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus » Fri 11 May 2018, 23:31

fruityloops wrote:
Fri 11 May 2018, 19:42
Obviously if you wrote it well enough, I'd 'relate' to a cabbage.

But in general, I'd probably think "why is the author pretending to write about an insect, when they're clearly really writing about a human in a strange hat, but throwing in a few entymologically-inaccurate insecty bells and whistles?"

Of course, it would depend somewhat on the genre. If you're writing Antz, that's different. Or if you're writing some weird mindbender in which superficial characteristics change unpredictably, that's another thing - Samsa starts out acting like a human, doesn't he? If it's just a plain fantasy, though, I'm going to find it lazy and superficial.
alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » Mon 14 May 2018, 03:37

Well, let's see, the Protheans in Mass Effect are somewhat buglike, aren't they? I should think most people relate just fine to Javik (although like most Mass Effect species, he's arguably just Sal's "human with a hat"). Certainly plenty of people have sympathy for the rachni, myself included, and they're both buglike and not particularly humans-with-hats.

I think you're overthinking these things, truth be told. Write what you like and refine it as you go.
fruityloops
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by fruityloops » Mon 14 May 2018, 15:16

it's jsut that with all these people i talk to that have issues with bugs, it use to discourage me alot. now a days, it just doesn't bother me.
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Tue 29 May 2018, 04:38

Is anyone fooled by those Wells Fargo commercials?
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » Tue 29 May 2018, 05:38

eldin raigmore wrote:
Tue 29 May 2018, 04:38
You'll have to be more specific.
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Tue 29 May 2018, 13:29

shimobaatar wrote:
Tue 29 May 2018, 05:38
eldin raigmore wrote:
They say they’re sorry for the scandal; they’ve restructured; they’re trustworthy now; and their top priority now is their customers’ welfare.

Who would believe that? And why?
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » Tue 29 May 2018, 16:54

eldin raigmore wrote:
Tue 29 May 2018, 13:29
shimobaatar wrote:
Tue 29 May 2018, 05:38
eldin raigmore wrote:
They say they’re sorry for the scandal; they’ve restructured; they’re trustworthy now; and their top priority now is their customers’ welfare.

Oh, I guess I'm really out of the loop, then. This is the first I've heard of a scandal.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » Tue 29 May 2018, 18:43

shimobaatar wrote:
Tue 29 May 2018, 16:54
eldin raigmore wrote:
Tue 29 May 2018, 13:29

Oh, I guess I'm really out of the loop, then. This is the first I've heard of a scandal.
Wells Fargo had set unrealistically high sales targets for its employees, and to meet those standards, employees opened up to 2 million accounts in customers' names without their consent. Then Wells fired thousands of employees, then some executives resigned, then it paid a fine.

And this year, it paid another fine after being accused of illegal lending practices.
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus » Wed 30 May 2018, 13:04

They had about five if-they-were-a-person-they'd-be-in-jail scandals in about two years. They're virtually a mafia at this point.

[Not that their rivals are any better. Flagrant disregard for the law and ethics is the norm for large banks. Remember when it turned out HSBC were advertising themselves to the mexican drug cartels on the basis of how great they were at illegally laundering drug money?]