(EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Re: (EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by shimobaatar » Mon 25 Jul 2016, 15:51

Creyeditor wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:How do you make tables? I've had it explained to me before, but I can't remember how to do it. I also can't find where it's been explained to me.
Maybe you were searching for this post?
I wasn't, but thank you!
OTʜᴇB
roman
roman

Post by OTʜᴇB » Mon 25 Jul 2016, 15:53

If you press the windows key and print screen in a combination then it will save the image automatically under ".../Pictures/Screenshots" which makes it far easier to access. Then in paint: Select tool, drag rectangle around table, click crop, save, upload to image sharing platform of your choice (I find imgur is easy), then type this in where you want your table:

Code: Select all

[img]url of image here[/img]
:con: : Dijo
:con: : Language 8 (Reviving Dijo)

BTW I use Arch
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » Mon 25 Jul 2016, 16:05

Thank you all for your advice, but I really meant to ask about how to make these kinds of tables:

a b c
b
c
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » Mon 25 Jul 2016, 16:11

shimobaatar wrote:Thank you all for your advice, but I really meant to ask about how to make these kinds of tables:

a b c
b
c
Guess and check, honestly
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.
k1234567890y
runic
runic

Post by k1234567890y » Mon 25 Jul 2016, 16:13

qwed117 wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:Thank you all for your advice, but I really meant to ask about how to make these kinds of tables:

a b c
b
c
Guess and check, honestly
CBB does not support HTML, apparently.
Click here and here to know more about me.

夢見るオンナノコ(Dreaming girls)
だれでもプリンセス(All of them are princesses)
恋するオンナノコ(Girls in love)
ホンキ!ムテキ!カンペキ!(Serious! Invincible! Perfect!)
Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Creyeditor » Mon 25 Jul 2016, 16:26

a b c
b
c
Well, the code environment uses a fixed-width font, i.e. you can count vertical and horizontal distance by counting letters and spaces. Let's say you want a table with three columns (and rows). Each column should be able to contain words with three letters. There should be a space between each column. That means that you need a width of (3+1)+(3+1)+(3+1)=12. An example could look like this. It is important to use spaces instead of tabs.

HEA HEA HEA
123 123 123 
123 456 789
101 112 131
456 789 123 
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :fra: 4 :esp: 4 :ind:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
OTʜᴇB
roman
roman

Post by OTʜᴇB » Mon 25 Jul 2016, 16:32

They should really add in some [table] BBcode stuff. Then a user could create a table like this:
[table]
[th][td rowspan=2]Heading[/td][/th]
[tr][td]a[/td][td]b[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]c[/td][td]d[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]e[/td][td]f[/td][/tr]
[/table]

That then coming out looking a bit like this:

| Heading |
| a  | b  |
| c  | d  |
| e  | f  |
:con: : Dijo
:con: : Language 8 (Reviving Dijo)

BTW I use Arch
k1234567890y
runic
runic

Post by k1234567890y » Mon 25 Jul 2016, 16:39

OTheB wrote:They should really add in some [table] BBcode stuff. Then a user could create a table like this:
[table]
[th][td rowspan=2]Heading[/td][/th]
[tr][td]a[/td][td]b[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]c[/td][td]d[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]e[/td][td]f[/td][/tr]
[/table]

That then coming out looking a bit like this:

| Heading |
| a  | b  |
| c  | d  |
| e  | f  |
we should tell the developers of phpBB to develop table codes?
Click here and here to know more about me.

夢見るオンナノコ(Dreaming girls)
だれでもプリンセス(All of them are princesses)
恋するオンナノコ(Girls in love)
ホンキ!ムテキ!カンペキ!(Serious! Invincible! Perfect!)
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » Mon 25 Jul 2016, 20:35

a b c
b
c
That's not too tough to make if you have a word processor. Just make a document and set a fixed-width font, like Courier.

Then decide what column widths you want/need in terms of characters. This part is the only place where you need any kind of math. Take the first entry/label from the first column and subtract its number of characters from the total characters in that column (e.g. present = 7 characters, total width = 10 characters; 10 - 7 = 3). Then type the entry and add spaces equal to the result of the subtraction (e.g. present + [3 spaces]). Repeat for each column.

For the remaining rows, you only have to type an entry, then add enough spaces to line up visually with the next column.

To post the finished table, copy-paste it between code tags on the forum. I like to preview the result before posting, just to make sure there aren't any stray spaces.

I made all my Silvish verb conjugation tables this way.
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » Mon 25 Jul 2016, 22:07

Creyeditor wrote:
Spoiler:
Well, the code environment uses a fixed-width font, i.e. you can count vertical and horizontal distance by counting letters and spaces. Let's say you want a table with three columns (and rows). Each column should be able to contain words with three letters. There should be a space between each column. That means that you need a width of (3+1)+(3+1)+(3+1)=12. An example could look like this. It is important to use spaces instead of tabs.

HEA HEA HEA
123 123 123 
123 456 789
101 112 131
456 789 123 
Dormouse559 wrote:
Spoiler:
That's not too tough to make if you have a word processor. Just make a document and set a fixed-width font, like Courier.

Then decide what column widths you want/need in terms of characters. This part is the only place where you need any kind of math. Take the first entry/label from the first column and subtract its number of characters from the total characters in that column (e.g. present = 7 characters, total width = 10 characters; 10 - 7 = 3). Then type the entry and add spaces equal to the result of the subtraction (e.g. present + [3 spaces]). Repeat for each column.

For the remaining rows, you only have to type an entry, then add enough spaces to line up visually with the next column.

To post the finished table, copy-paste it between code tags on the forum. I like to preview the result before posting, just to make sure there aren't any stray spaces.

I made all my Silvish verb conjugation tables this way.
Thanks again to everyone for the advice.
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano » Wed 07 Sep 2016, 13:39

Why is "rou" the code for the Romanian flag? Neither the English words "Romania" and "Romanian" nor the Romanian words "România" and "română" have a "u" in them.
:eng: - Native
:chn: - B2
:esp: - A2
:jpn: - A2
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » Wed 07 Sep 2016, 17:33

GrandPiano wrote:Why is "rou" the code for the Romanian flag? Neither the English words "Romania" and "Romanian" nor the Romanian words "România" and "română" have a "u" in them.
According to Wikipedia, that's Romania's three-letter ISO country code, which was derived from the country's French name, "Roumanie".
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano » Wed 07 Sep 2016, 20:20

OK, that makes sense. Thanks!
:eng: - Native
:chn: - B2
:esp: - A2
:jpn: - A2
Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 » Thu 08 Sep 2016, 20:25

Is there a rule about necroing posts? If I see a thread in the Conworlding forum I want to respond to, how long ago can the last post be?
MrKrov
cleardarkness
cleardarkness

Post by MrKrov » Thu 08 Sep 2016, 21:07

There's not really. Just keep it pertinent.
alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » Fri 09 Sep 2016, 14:08

If you're just bumping a thread to say something like "I agree" or to respond to an argument that ended three years ago, don't do it. But if you have something of substance to add, go ahead!
Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » Tue 25 Oct 2016, 06:28

I've seen Romance-language-teaching cards where Romanian is spelt "Roumanian". Apparently it's an alternative spelling even in English.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 55,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Keenir
runic
runic

Post by Keenir » Mon 16 Jan 2017, 08:10

Not long ago, I saw a photo thread (not hereabouts) that took a screenshot of a uniform from Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and then, using the Star Wars universe's alphabet, showed that it read This End Up.

But I've gone looking through various Star Wars books (the atlas, the guide to the history of warfare, Jedi vs Sith, etc)...and none of them show the Star Wars alphabet.

So, is that alphabet , with each symbol representing one English letter, actually more fanon than canon?

thank you.
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip » Wed 18 Jan 2017, 14:59

I assume you mean Aurebesh. The alphabet itself is canon, having first appeared fairly prominently in Return of the Jedi, and getting specialeditionized into the other ones. I guess your question though is, are the values assigned to each character canon or not.

I looked at the standard values given for Aurebesh in images on the internet, and then compared them to a screen readout from the beginning of Return of the Jedi. The values returned nonsense (e.g. "meonghm yqxaej eonghmn"), and since I am sure they did not create a whole constructed written language for a couple computer screens when the spoken language clearly is English, it does not appear that the standard values of Aurebesh apply to Return of the Jedi. However, the image you reference, Poe Dameron's vest, does in fact say "pull to inflate" in Aurebesh using the circulated readings, and even the special edition of A New Hope uses Aurebesh as a cipher of English. So, since it appeared in more than one canon Star Wars film, it appears that yes, it is canon.

Also, several of the letters in RotJ differ in appearance from the ones that appear in other films. I'm almost certain this is what happened:

When they started making the special editions, they decided that they wanted to replace all English labels with the alphabet from RotJ. However, a decade had passed since that film was made, and most likely they could find no records of what the letters of the original alphabet actually stood for. Wanting to preserve visual consistency but not caring for coherence of some random symbols, someone probably put on RotJ and paused it in the parts with the alphabet, wrote down all the symbols they saw by hand (accounting for the distortion of several of the letters), and then randomly assigned Latin alphabet values to them, which are consistent with the internet images and their appearances in the actual Star Wars films.

What might be fun is to look at the original RotJ images and try to decipher what the original values of the letters were, if they actually had any to begin with.

EDIT: I was slightly wrong, and my thing seems to have been answered:
Wookieepedia wrote:An Aurebesh-like script first appeared in the 1983 movie Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi, the last installment in the original trilogy of Star Wars. It could be seen on monitor readouts on the second Death Star at the beginning of the movie, when Darth Vader's shuttle is scanned while approaching the battle station. Erik Schroeder's decoding of the technical readouts further suggest that this readout is illegible, consisting of lines of character repeats.[5] However, it was Stephen Crane of West End Games who gave each character a name and a corresponding Roman letter or letter combination. At the time, West End Games's flagship product was the Star Wars Roleplaying Game. While he was writing the Star Wars Miniatures Battles Companion in 1993, Crane decided to develop an alphabet for gamers to use. Upon receiving Lucasfilm's approval, Crane came up with the "Aurebesh," a 34-letter alphabet. It was later expanded to include punctuation marks in Imperial Entanglements, a 1996 supplement to Miniatures Battles.[6]

Stephen Crane's alphabet was subsequently adopted in many Star Wars works, and even made its way into the movies.
Anyway, I suspect Stephen Crane did what I said, pausing the movie and writing down by hand what he saw in order to create the new version of the alphabet.
Keenir
runic
runic

Post by Keenir » Wed 18 Jan 2017, 16:22

clawgrip wrote:I assume you mean Aurebesh. The alphabet itself is canon, having first appeared fairly prominently in Return of the Jedi, and getting specialeditionized into the other ones. I guess your question though is, are the values assigned to each character canon or not.
yes; sorry.
it does not appear that the standard values of Aurebesh apply to Return of the Jedi. However, the image you reference, Poe Dameron's vest, does in fact say "pull to inflate" in Aurebesh using the circulated readings, and even the special edition of A New Hope uses Aurebesh as a cipher of English. So, since it appeared in more than one canon Star Wars film, it appears that yes, it is canon.
thank you.

hm...a 34-letter alphabet and a 24-letter one. in-universe, it'd make sense, whether one is a coded transmission or another language.
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799