Metal Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
sangi39

Re: Metal Thread

Post by sangi39 » Sat 25 Mar 2017, 00:36

Linguifex wrote:My band opened for Psychostick a few weeks ago!
What?! When? Where? All of the other interrogatives!

opipik wrote:Australian Aboriginal metal.
Yes, exactly that.
Can't say I'm a fan. Most of the music is more or less to my taste, but I don't really like the vocal style. Interesting, though [:)]
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Xonen

Post by Xonen » Sun 26 Mar 2017, 22:59

sangi39 wrote:
Yes, exactly that.
Can't say I'm a fan. Most of the music is more or less to my taste, but I don't really like the vocal style. Interesting, though [:)]
Eh, I think my problem was mainly that it isn't that interesting. I didn't exactly hate anything about it, but there just doesn't seem to be that much to love, either. I mean, the concept is great, but they don't seem to make that much use of it. The music is fairly good, but the songwriting just strikes me as rather typical for the genre. And yeah, maybe they'd benefit from a somewhat stronger vocalist, but I suppose this guy could also sound just fine on somewhat stronger songs.

Ultimately, I think I was mainly disappointed in their singing language; got my hopes up, but turns out they don't actually sing in Arrernte. That would've been enough to qualify them as awesome in my book, but in English, they're just kinda okay.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Sun 26 Mar 2017, 23:10

Xonen wrote:
sangi39 wrote:
Yes, exactly that.
Eh, I think my problem was mainly that it isn't that interesting. I didn't exactly hate anything about it, but there just doesn't seem to be that much to love, either. I mean, the concept is great, but they don't seem to make that much use of it. The music is fairly good, but the songwriting just strikes me as rather typical for the genre. And yeah, maybe they'd benefit from a somewhat stronger vocalist, but I suppose this guy could also sound just fine on somewhat stronger songs.

Ultimately, I think I was mainly disappointed in their singing language; got my hopes up, but turns out they don't actually sing in Arrernte. That would've been enough to qualify them as awesome in my book, but in English, they're just kinda okay.
I have to admit, when I found out that they didn't sing in Arrernte I was a little disappointed. A lot of interviews I dug into were calling them "the most isolated metal band in the world" and "aborigine metal" was thrown around a lot, but the more I dug, the more it just seemed to be fairly typical metal.

Aborigine "folk" metal could be quite cool, even if it just came down to lyrical themes rather than throwing a didgeridoo at it (if you kind of take a skewed view of Tengger Cavalry and throat singing "sounding like a didgeridoo, it could work).

It's kind of like Verjnuarmu. They're a self-styled "Savo metal" band, but they're mostly just a doom/folk/death metal band that sings in the Savo dialect of Finnish [:P]
Just one time.
opipik
runic
runic

Post by opipik » Mon 27 Mar 2017, 18:07

I was also disappointed that they don't sing in Arrernte because that'd be awesome.
I found that Yothu Yindi covered AC/DC's song "Jailbreak", complete with didgeridoo and clapsticks, though
Xonen

Post by Xonen » Mon 27 Mar 2017, 19:43

sangi39 wrote:It's kind of like Verjnuarmu. They're a self-styled "Savo metal" band, but they're mostly just a doom/folk/death metal band that sings in the Savo dialect of Finnish [:P]
With the slight difference that millions of bands sing in English, and basically nobody else sings in Savonian - especially in their genre. Plus, they're awesome.

opipik wrote:I was also disappointed that they don't sing in Arrernte because that'd be awesome.
I found that Yothu Yindi covered AC/DC's song "Jailbreak", complete with didgeridoo and clapsticks, though
Ooh, that was indeed nice. [:)] Even better, they actually had songs (partially) written in - *googles* - Gumatj, a form of Yolŋu Matha, like this one here. Not metal, so strictly speaking inappropriate for this thread, but a nice song nonetheless.

Couldn't find a translation, though, which is a little annoying. [:S]
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Mon 27 Mar 2017, 21:00

Xonen wrote:
sangi39 wrote:It's kind of like Verjnuarmu. They're a self-styled "Savo metal" band, but they're mostly just a doom/folk/death metal band that sings in the Savo dialect of Finnish [:P]
With the slight difference that millions of bands sing in English, and basically nobody else sings in Savonian - especially in their genre. Plus, they're awesome.
All right, they're mostly just the only doom/folk/death metal band that sings in the Savo dialect of Finnish [:P] They are pretty awesome though. I can't remember how I stumbled across them. Possibly a suggested link on YouTube from a Le Grand Guignol song, or maybe Mokoma, which would be weird.
Just one time.
Ànradh
mayan
mayan

Post by Ànradh » Tue 28 Mar 2017, 20:57

Yes, exactly that.
I'm actually OK with the vocalist. It's just that the lyrics are... well, they're pish, if I'm to be blunt.
The solos were pleasantly surprising though; I expected something tamer.
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Thu 30 Mar 2017, 17:08

Watching Steve Hughes for a bit of "heavy metal comedy". Skip to, 13:14 for a pretty good description of Metal and the people who are into it summed up in 20 seconds [:)] Oh, and obligatory warning, there is a fair amount of swearing in his stand-up.
Just one time.
Linguifex
roman
roman

Post by Linguifex » Mon 03 Apr 2017, 04:00

sangi39 wrote:
Linguifex wrote:My band opened for Psychostick a few weeks ago!
What?! When? Where? All of the other interrogatives!
Who: Amniote (my band), Fit for a Funeral, Psychostick, Ventana, and maybe As Summer Dies (can't remember if they were there or not)
What: A show for the release of Ventana's new CD
Where: The Agora, Cleveland, OH
When: February 12
Why: Because Ventana was releasing a CD, we need exposure, and it was the Agora, which is one of the biggest venues around here
How: IDK, ask our guitarist
How many: We sold, like, twelve tickets; there was a good crowd for the other bands
To what extent: We played our entire set up to that point

I should also mention that our bassist ended up with one of the larger pieces of the sombrero.
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.0
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO
Linguifex
roman
roman

Post by Linguifex » Fri 21 Apr 2017, 01:50

My band is currently slated to open for Otep in June.
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.0
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO
Ànradh
mayan
mayan

Post by Ànradh » Fri 21 Apr 2017, 03:12

Linguifex wrote:My band is currently slated to open for Otep in June.
O.O *envy*
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Fri 21 Apr 2017, 11:31

I'm not a huge fan of the singer's clean vocals. They're good, just not a style I quite enjoy. But my god, that screaming is just... I love it [:D]
Just one time.
Shemtov
mayan
mayan

Post by Shemtov » Sun 28 May 2017, 10:59

New Alestorm out. This is one of my favorites on the album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQBs6vXjFhc
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » Mon 29 May 2017, 03:55

I like it! [:D]
Shemtov
mayan
mayan

Post by Shemtov » Thu 02 Nov 2017, 18:03

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBoFQ0yRSXc&t=170s
When I first heard this song I didn’t appreciate it. Now that I’ve listened to it again, it’s my favorite song on No Grave But The Sea and is one of the best Alestorm songs. It’s about the Pseudo-Scientific Time-Cube Theory, which is also Anti-Semitic, Anti-Religion, Anti-Christian and Homophobic, but a close examination of the lyrics show it to be a subtle parody of the theory, rather then embracing it. And, Hell, silly subject-matter for song’s is Alestorm’s specialty. And for what should be just another of their “Silly Songs” actually has poetic lyrics. Besides, the sound mixing is the one of the best I’ve heard on any metal song.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien