What languages do you speak?

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
KaiTheHomoSapien
sinic
sinic

Re: What languages do you speak?

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » Sun 04 Jun 2017, 06:32

^ Also same. Sometimes I assume most people into linguistics are multilingual, but at least there are a few of us [Americans] who only speak one language fluently.

:usa: English - Native speaker, California accent (so I'm told).
:lat: Latin - Six years of study. I know a lot of vocabulary, I can translate at a decent level, and have some ability to translate English into Latin. But I know it only on a formal literary basis.
:jpn: Japanese - Three years of study. I know some conversational Japanese and can form basic sentences.

Those are the big three for me. I have a few years of independent study of Ancient Greek, so I have some knowledge of it (in the same way I know Latin, just not as well). And I'm also studying Sanskrit, but I have no competency in it yet. [:S]
Don't live to conlang; conlang to live.

My conlang: Image Lihmelinyan
GamerGeek
greek
greek

Post by GamerGeek » Sun 04 Jun 2017, 07:21

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote:^ Also same.
That awkward moment when you up-arrow something on the previous page...
Free Press wrote:Censorship's a problem. What it does is lie. They claim it not exist.
Threr
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Threr » Sun 04 Jun 2017, 07:58

:fra: French : native
:usa: English : ok
:con: Deyryck : ok
:jpn: Japanese : beginner
:rus: Russian : even more beginner
:lat: Latin : too long ago
:deu: German : too long ago
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander » Sun 04 Jun 2017, 11:55

I'll probably post here again when I have a more interesting list, but here's mine for now.
  • :gbr: English: Native
  • :fra: & :deu: French and German: half-way to fluent after years of school in the British education system, have a fair sentence comprehension, could compose sentences
  • :lat: Latin: intermediate reading comprehension after a couple of years of after-school club
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Sun 04 Jun 2017, 12:03

I will be speaking your :con: . Badly.

Just sayin... [B)]

You have been warned.
alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » Mon 05 Jun 2017, 23:45

And we love it. [:D]
Parlox
sinic
sinic
Location: North-East Favorc shoreline, Suot village, the Saon.

Post by Parlox » Tue 06 Jun 2017, 00:01

:usa: English, Native
:deu: German, basic
:con: Meskosi saitin, nearing fluency
:con: ó leí , very basic (But learning)
:esp: spanish, very basic
My main conlangs are Podmåri, and Gwynwth.
i have several other smaller conlangs, such as Tänggorosepero , Makǔdorın, La Patagonê, and Nòvgraďà.
Along with a unnamed sign language, and multiple conlangs that are on hold.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Tue 06 Jun 2017, 00:02

Pāṇini
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Pāṇini » Thu 21 Sep 2017, 16:02

:usa: American English: native
:esp: Puerto Rican Spanish: native (raised bilingual)
:ita: Italian: Read competently
:lat: Latin: Read with difficulty — same applies to most Romance languages (excepting Romană and Sardu—unintelligible—and the Iberian languages—easy).

My language learning wish-list is quite long, however...

Native Languages:
English, Spanish
Half-learnt Languages:
Italian, Latin
Wish List
Classical Nahuatl, Quechua, Quenya, Romani
Spoiler:
/kʌm.ˈplej.nɪng wɪð.ˈaʊt ʌ sə.ˈlu.ʃn̩ ə̆s kɑɫd ˈwaɪ.nɪŋ/ — /ˈθi.ʌ.dɔər ˈroʊ.zə̆.veɫt/.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Thu 21 Sep 2017, 16:06

Te doy la bienvenida oficial, Pāṇini!
[:D]

Welcome, welcome~!!
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Thu 21 Sep 2017, 16:10

*necromantissatum est*
alynnidalar wrote:And we love it. [:D]
W00T!
:mrgreen:
Pāṇini
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Pāṇini » Thu 21 Sep 2017, 16:11

Lambuzhao wrote:Te doy la bienvenida oficial, Pāṇini!
[:D]

Welcome, welcome~!!
Thank you, thank you. [:O]

Native Languages:
English, Spanish
Half-learnt Languages:
Italian, Latin
Wish List
Spoiler:
/kʌm.ˈplej.nɪng wɪð.ˈaʊt ʌ sə.ˈlu.ʃn̩ ə̆s kɑɫd ˈwaɪ.nɪŋ/ — /ˈθi.ʌ.dɔər ˈroʊ.zə̆.veɫt/.
Pāṇini
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Pāṇini » Thu 21 Sep 2017, 16:28

Pāṇini wrote::usa: American English: native
:esp: Puerto Rican Spanish: native (raised bilingual)
:ita: Italian: Read competently
:lat: Latin: Read with difficulty — same applies to most Romance languages (excepting Romană and Sardu—unintelligible—and the Iberian languages—easy).

My language learning wish-list is quite long, however...
Oh, and while I'm at it:

Familiar with the :ell: Greek alphabet, :non: Runes (Elder, Younger, and Anglo-Saxon), the :got: Gothic alphabet, the :rus: Cyrillic alphabet, the occasional :chn: Chinese character, and, with quite a lot of difficulty, :isr: the fully pointed Hebrew alphabet, including the occasional extinct Semitic script.

Native Languages:
English, Spanish
Half-learnt Languages:
Italian, Latin
Wish List
Spoiler:
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Thu 21 Sep 2017, 19:53

Pāṇini wrote: .... :non: Runes (Elder, Younger, and Anglo-Saxon), ....
Have you ever heard of Turkish "runes"? (Or maybe it's Turkic "runes".)
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Fri 22 Sep 2017, 04:46

eldin raigmore wrote:Have you ever heard of Turkish "runes"? (Or maybe it's Turkic "runes".)
One of the inspirations for Avantimannish runes. Not necessarily a matter of derivation (although some of them could be) so much as a kind of aesthetic kinship.

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
esoanem
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by esoanem » Sat 23 Sep 2017, 19:39

Might as well post here (with some expansion from what's in my signature), in order of fluency I speak:

:gbr: native. I'm from quite a posh part of SE England so speak modern RP (similar to that of e.g. Martin Freeman)

:esp: fluentisḣ. ~2010 I'd have been more confident leaving off the "ish", I only formally studied for 5 years at school (up to and including my GCSEs at age ~16) but took to it really well, had some private tutoring and watched lots Spanish films (as well as Spanish dubs of some English TV shows), usually either without subtitles or with Spanish subtitles (particularly if people mumble). Being in the UK I was taught standard Peninsular Spanish rather than any of the American varieties although now I'm using Duolingo to try to keep a bit of edge and am frequently running up against some dialectal variations that frustrate me (usually in the Spanish, but also occasionally in the English).

:deu: learning. No formal education, but using Duolingo, the bits of Old English I know and some linguistics I'm doing reasonably well and could probably just about get by as a tourist only speaking German provided everything went pretty smoothly. I've hit the stage where I can just about understand the puns in the non-English-language Rammstein songs now. Frequently mess up declension of articles and genders of nouns.

:fra: learning. I was taught this for something like 7 years but dropped it before GCSE because the teaching had consistently been bad and I already spoke way better Spanish than French (despite only having had 3 years at that point). Again I'm mostly using Duolingo and am doing pretty well but finding it a lot harder to motivate myself than with German. On a good day, if nothing goes wrong, I might be able to get by as a tourist without struggling for words too much.

:ell: learning. Duolingo stated offering it on mobile now so I decided to try it, I've only been doing it for a month or so so can't really say much at all. I'm mostly just getting annoyed by the fact that the pronunciations aren't the ones I expect (I vary between Classical and Koiné and, whilst I tend to think better of Classical, I naturally tend to pronounce the aspirates as fricatives), particularly the voiced stops being fricatives now (and the associated nonsense for writing actual voiced stops). The iotism is less annoying but, well, I do slip up occasionally and pronounce ʋ as either /[ʊ] or [y]/[Y]

:navi: lapsed. Na'vi was what pushed me over the edge from being a Tolkien nerd (and so being vaguely interested in learning the Elvish languages) into actually getting into conlangs. I was pretty active on the learnnavi forum and got pretty good, to the stage where I could post in the nìNa'vi nì'aw (Na'vi only) board without having to use the dictionary much at all. Then my A levels hit and I (rather unprofessionally/unfairly) just dropped off the face of the forum (if any of the people who were mods at the time see this, sorry everyone). I've not really looked back at it since, but a fair bit of the grammar's stuck with me.

:con: making a bunch. I'm working on a conworld which features one big (sufficiently so that, hopefully, the proto-lang would be beyond the reach of the comparative method) language family (I'm currently doing a major reworking of the proto-lang and will need to rederive the whole family all over again) as well as two isolates. The idea is that the proto-lang is the language of the gods who made the world and the two isolates are spoken by groups not created by the gods (one is spoken by the group the gods were split off from by the trickster god who also magically separated both languages; the other language is spoken by a people who were kind of created by the being the gods made the world from but kind-of after that god died and was made into the world). Also occasional sketches of other things (I briefly sketched a romlang derived mostly by doing the upper high german consonant shift as well as also doing a sketch of a cephalopod chromatophore language although that's on super-hold and not at all developed, and a post-English which atm is also just an idea and not done).

I also spent a few months learning Italian and Russian but never got very far. I can understand slowly and clearly spoken Italian pretty well because of my Spanish (and the Latin I've just picked up) but, well, speaking or writing it I mostly just end up trying to convert Spanish sentences across which doesn't always work very well (e.g. "no te entiendo" -> "non ti entendo" != "non ti capisco"); Russian went ok but I was doing far too many languages at that point so had to cut back.

I've been able to read Cyrillic and Greek (with either Koiné or Classical sounds of the letters) scripts since I was about 12 but for some reason have never put too much effort into learning any other scripts which somewhat surprises me (although I'm closest to being able to read the various futharks than anything else; after that I think Hebrew would probably be the next script I'd learn, probably followed by Perso-Arabic or Devnagri; learning kana or hanzi doesn't particularly interest me).

Edit: just realised I forgot, I did a term of Old English at uni (unofficially because, well, physics degree) and kinda got it reasonably well and, with a dictionary I can compose and translate it pretty well (my vocab's pretty small). I've also picked up a fair bit of Latin over the years but never had any formal teaching or done any formal learning but, with a dictionary I can pretty reliably translate and compose stuff although my verb conjugation's pretty poor outside of regular verbs in the active indicative present or perfect

Edit 2: Duolingo's Greek course is a complete mess (apparently if they accidentally put desired answer in wrong first time they can't remove that as a valid answer, only add new ones meaning there's a bunch of contradictory and flat out wrong answers) so I've now stopped Greek and decided to return to Russian, I might go back to Greek at some point once it's had a chance to get sorted
Last edited by esoanem on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 08:48, edited 2 times in total.
My pronouns are they/them/their

:gbr: native | :esp: fluentish | :deu: learning | :fra: learning | :rus: learning | :ell: lapsed | :navi: lapsed | :con: making a bunch
Parlox
sinic
sinic
Location: North-East Favorc shoreline, Suot village, the Saon.

Post by Parlox » Sat 23 Sep 2017, 20:54

An updated list of languages i speak or am learning,

:usa: American English, native.
:deu: German, very basic(stopped learning).
:con: Pod, very basic(learning).
:con: Makonian, very basic(might pick up again).
Hawaiian, very basic(but learning)

I am also thinking of learning Navi and Hebrew.
My main conlangs are Podmåri, and Gwynwth.
i have several other smaller conlangs, such as Tänggorosepero , Makǔdorın, La Patagonê, and Nòvgraďà.
Along with a unnamed sign language, and multiple conlangs that are on hold.