The Majestic 4th Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Sḿtuval
greek
greek

Re: The Majestic 4th Conversation Thread

Post by Sḿtuval » Sun 16 Oct 2016, 04:30

Heh, I got into conlanging four years ago after somehow coming across Esperanto on a school computer instead of doing classwork.
I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Sun 16 Oct 2016, 04:35

How I got into conlanging:
http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/TzHaar_language
I also learned that of an interesting parallel between an Akkadian/Sumerian myth and the Greco-Roman myth about Orpheus and Persephone.
Image Ӯсцӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Vṛḵažaẇ (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
OTʜᴇB
roman
roman

Post by OTʜᴇB » Sun 16 Oct 2016, 11:21

Now that I think about it, I used to make little "languages" all the time. I went from changing the alphabet ones to reverse all the words ones, but when I was 14-15 I actually tried to make one. I'm a fan of programming so guess what I tried to emulate in this language... My lack of all knowledge of linguistics made it rather difficult to get very far and cover most grounds, but I got it to a stage at which you could actually say basic sentences - I had no vocab though so one had to substitute in English words. Then I made an algorithm for translating (cipher of English). One thing I did rather like is I had 3 different phonologies and 3 different syllabaries for each type of word (noun, adjective, verb).

When I started getting stuck on everything is when I went looking for a conlanging community to learn about what I can do in future to make better conlangs that work - and you guys really did the job. I went from clueless to IPA, basic linguistics, and a much better understanding of language, within about a month or two. Then a few months later I finished Inyi - though I'm not massively proud of it. I'm much more confident in my orderlang.
:con: : Current Project

BTW I use Arch
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » Sun 16 Oct 2016, 14:05

I found the Wikipedia page for conlanging somehow, and went to the zompist, and then somehow I found y'all. But my first foray into conlanging was 7th grade, when I made a romlang-like language, after learning about Spanish conjugation tables.
Worldbuilding was around the same time, after joining warlight.net . You can see my first conworld there. It's called "Qwedlandia". As I child I was always interested in this stuff. It was only a matter of time until I found y'all
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo » Sun 16 Oct 2016, 15:20

I first got into conlanging when I read some computer security advice. "Keep all your personal information recorded in a constructed language of your own design." Now even at the time I knew this was silly advice: The really sensitive stuff that you don't want people stealing like your social security and credit card information is precisely the stuff that you *can't* translate into a conlang.

Still, I read that and said to myself "Constructed language huh, sounds simple. You know what, I bet I could do that." Then down the rabbit hole I went.
My pronouns are <xie> [ʒiː] / <xer> [ʒɚ]

My shitty twitter
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » Sun 16 Oct 2016, 15:32

Long story short.
And two years later, Rodentèrra was born.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » Sun 16 Oct 2016, 16:08

For me, world-building began before conlanging. I've been making maps of fictional places since I was quite little. When I was 8-9, I filled a whole notebook of maps of fictional countries and continents (and I would draw pictures of cities). Of course all the names of the places were made-up words and sometimes there appeared to be a bit of a system (one country where most of the city names ended in "-tek" for example) but I never actually created a real conlang until a bit later (around 11 or so) when I discovered Latin. That's when I really tried to make a conlang, and my first attempt was a fairly unoriginal romlang. [:$] Then when I discovered Tolkien and PIE, I really got going. But it was still a few years before I found this site and discovered that there are communities for people who do this kind of thing. :mrgreen:
Don't live to conlang; conlang to live.

My conlang: Image Lihmelinyan
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist » Sun 16 Oct 2016, 18:00

I also started with conworlding at the age of 10 or something like that. I created a whole planet ruled by a family whose last name was based on my first name, and they were obsessed with chess (because I was...) All in all, a rather embarrassing creation but I had a lot of fun with it. Later, I discovered tabletop RPG and I loved creating settings and being the GM. That kept me occupied through high school and most of college. After that, real life took over and I stopped creating worlds for several years.

I only discovered conlanging last year when I decided to revive my old conworlding hobby, and chanced upon Zompist's website - I was amazed with how detailed Almea was, and I found it jaw-dropping that he managed to create so many languages for it. Until then, I was only familiar with Tolkien's elven languages, and I kinda thought you needed to work on a language your whole life, like Tolkien - so didn't think it was worth my while. I read Zompist's online version of the Language Construction Kit, and joined the ZBB (and later this forum), but I still thought of myself more as a worldbuilder than a conlanger. It's only been in recent months that I got enough grasp of conlanging that it really starts to be fun and "a part of who I am." The CBB IRC chat was a big help here - especially conversations with DesEsseintes and Micamo.
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Sun 16 Oct 2016, 19:34

OTʜᴇB
roman
roman

Post by OTʜᴇB » Sun 16 Oct 2016, 19:37

Ahzoh wrote:I may have went insane:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/154333731694114/
... wat?

BTW I use Arch
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Sun 16 Oct 2016, 19:39

OTʜᴇB wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:I may have went insane:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/154333731694114/
... wat?
I'm gathering fellow communists to collectively purchase a Scottish island selling for 1.95m pounds.
Going to take a long while, maybe years, and I'm hoping it doesn't get sold out, although the longer it takes the likelier it will be.

Private property-turned-commune.
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » Sun 16 Oct 2016, 19:47

Will this be some sort of micro nation?
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Sun 16 Oct 2016, 19:50

Egerius wrote:Will this be some sort of micro nation?
Yes. Currently in the discussion stages. Hoping to get around 2000 people to chip in 1000 pounds.
This is the island that I hope we can buy:
http://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/luxur ... 05361.html
OTʜᴇB
roman
roman

Post by OTʜᴇB » Sun 16 Oct 2016, 20:48

Ahzoh wrote:
Egerius wrote:Will this be some sort of micro nation?
Yes. Currently in the discussion stages. Hoping to get around 2000 people to chip in 1000 pounds.
This is the island that I hope we can buy:
http://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/luxur ... 05361.html
Who needs to buy islands when you can build them? You just need copious amounts of dirt and a patch of un-owned shallow-ish water - and grass seeds. LOTS of grass seeds.

BTW I use Arch
Sglod
sinic
sinic

Post by Sglod » Sun 16 Oct 2016, 20:58

Or just dump a load of sand onto a reef. Wouldn't recommend, though...
Ælfwine
greek
greek

Post by Ælfwine » Sun 16 Oct 2016, 21:22

Just make sure nobody has ownership over the land you are dumping on first.
My Blog
Current Projects:
Mannish — A North Germanic language spoken on the Calf of Man
Pelsodian — A Romance language spoken around Lake Balaton
Jezik Panoski — A Slavic language spoken in the same area
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Sun 16 Oct 2016, 21:27

Ælfwine wrote:Just make sure nobody has ownership over the land you are dumping on first.
Ahzoh wrote:I'm gathering fellow communists to collectively purchase a Scottish island selling for 1.95m pounds.
Wait, never mind, you're talking about the other thing.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo » Sun 16 Oct 2016, 21:33

gestaltist wrote:I also started with conworlding at the age of 10 or something like that. I created a whole planet ruled by a family whose last name was based on my first name, and they were obsessed with chess (because I was...) All in all, a rather embarrassing creation but I had a lot of fun with it.
*hides her old notebook for "Edithia" under her bed...*
My pronouns are <xie> [ʒiː] / <xer> [ʒɚ]

My shitty twitter
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist » Sun 16 Oct 2016, 22:01

Micamo wrote:
gestaltist wrote:I also started with conworlding at the age of 10 or something like that. I created a whole planet ruled by a family whose last name was based on my first name, and they were obsessed with chess (because I was...) All in all, a rather embarrassing creation but I had a lot of fun with it.
*hides her old notebook for "Edithia" under her bed...*
Haha, I'm so glad I am not alone in this.

Seriously though, I so wish I still had the notebook for that first world I built...
Ànradh
mayan
mayan

Post by Ànradh » Sun 16 Oct 2016, 23:34

Ahzoh wrote:I'm gathering fellow communists to collectively purchase a Scottish island selling for 1.95m pounds.
Going to take a long while, maybe years, and I'm hoping it doesn't get sold out, although the longer it takes the likelier it will be.

Private property-turned-commune.
Something to bear in mind is that, while you'll have the property rights, it'll remain a Scottish island, and you'll need to abide by Scottish laws as a result.
On that note, pay attention to the land reform debates; most changes will likely be in your favour though.
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.