The Majestic 4th Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Re: The Majestic 4th Conversation Thread

Post by Micamo » Sun 16 Oct 2016, 23:41

I didn't keep notebooks of worldbuilding stuff at that time. I just wrote stories and kept setting information in my head. I've long since lost the stories I wrote though.
My pronouns are <xie> [ʒiː] / <xer> [ʒɚ]

My shitty twitter
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Sun 16 Oct 2016, 23:59

gestaltist wrote:
Micamo wrote:
gestaltist wrote:I also started with conworlding at the age of 10 or something like that. I created a whole planet ruled by a family whose last name was based on my first name, and they were obsessed with chess (because I was...) All in all, a rather embarrassing creation but I had a lot of fun with it.
*hides her old notebook for "Edithia" under her bed...*
Haha, I'm so glad I am not alone in this.
I never used my own name that way, though many of the earlier more childish & immature names for places and some ideas for The World are still knocking about the place. Too entrenched to be shifted.

Anyway, Edithia doesn't sound half bad at all! When I first read that, I thought, "wait...what's wrong with that...?" oops! [:$]
Seriously though, I so wish I still had the notebook for that first world I built...
All the lost papers...

Some of the stuff I've thrown away I later regretted tossing. Other stuff was truly tossworthy!

I do kind of wish I'd been in the habit, early on, of even using notebooks for this kind of stuff. It was all in my head until perhaps ten or more years in.
Micamo wrote:I didn't keep notebooks of worldbuilding stuff at that time. I just wrote stories and kept setting information in my head. I've long since lost the stories I wrote though.
That's a loss indeed! I bet they'd still be a treat to read. I didn't even start writing stories much at all until into college. The couple false starts I have from high school are complete flops!

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Mon 17 Oct 2016, 01:14

You know how I said I was going to get comrades to buy a Scottish island? Well, now we instead have a 20 acre plot of land on North Stradbroke that we're sharing with some indigenous people. We'll probably start simple with military tents and and fishing as our infrastructure.
Image Ӯсцӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Vṛḵažaẇ (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo » Mon 17 Oct 2016, 02:38

elemtilas wrote:That's a loss indeed! I bet they'd still be a treat to read. I didn't even start writing stories much at all until into college. The couple false starts I have from high school are complete flops!
I could share what I remember of Edithia but there wouldn't be much point, everything interesting about it I carried forward into other projects.
My pronouns are <xie> [ʒiː] / <xer> [ʒɚ]

My shitty twitter
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Mon 17 Oct 2016, 02:39

Ahzoh wrote:You know how I said I was going to get comrades to buy a Scottish island? Well, now we instead have a 20 acre plot of land on North Stradbroke that we're sharing with some indigenous people. We'll probably start simple with military tents and and fishing as our infrastructure.
Hoka hey! Am curious: what is the plan with this commune? If any, what are your goals (manifesto, might be an appropriate word here!); is this a long term proposition, or more experimental in nature?

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Mon 17 Oct 2016, 02:59

Micamo wrote:
elemtilas wrote:That's a loss indeed! I bet they'd still be a treat to read. I didn't even start writing stories much at all until into college. The couple false starts I have from high school are complete flops!
I could share what I remember of Edithia but there wouldn't be much point, everything interesting about it I carried forward into other projects.
No worries then. But this is also a good reason to hang on to old, even childish stuff. You never know when some old element might be recycled into a later work!

Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Mon 17 Oct 2016, 03:05

elemtilas wrote:Hoka hey! Am curious: what is the plan with this commune? If any, what are your goals (manifesto, might be an appropriate word here!); is this a long term proposition, or more experimental in nature?
It's a communist commune that we hope will lay a groundwork for global communism. Of course, if we get big and developed enough the capitalists might try and shut us down like they always do.
k1234567890y
runic
runic

Post by k1234567890y » Mon 17 Oct 2016, 05:42

I was originally a worldbuilding person before I started conlanging, but now conlanging has surpassed worldbuilding for me.
私のアツい人工言語活動!言カツ!始まります!!
Ælfwine
greek
greek

Post by Ælfwine » Mon 17 Oct 2016, 05:50

Communes are great...until you miss basic amenities such as toilets and shower stalls.

But I guess if you like the outdoors, go nuts.
My Blog
Current Projects:
Mannish — A North Germanic language spoken on the Calf of Man
Pelsodian — A Romance language spoken around Lake Balaton
Jezik Panoski — A Slavic language spoken in the same area
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Mon 17 Oct 2016, 07:00

Ælfwine wrote:Communes are great...until you miss basic amenities such as toilets and shower stalls.

But I guess if you like the outdoors, go nuts.
It has its benefits, like not needing to stress over paying rent and stuff.
k1234567890y
runic
runic

Post by k1234567890y » Mon 17 Oct 2016, 07:15

If one wants to promote their conworlds to the general public, they must have a good, attractive stories based on that world, no matter it is presented in the form of novels, manga/comics, anime/cartoons, movies, video games, etc.

Even if they are welcome to derivative works, good and attractive stories are still necessary, people simply don't like a conworld because it is a conworld, people like a conworld because of the stories of the people in that world.

For a conlang itself rather than conworlds of it, there's a choice without having a story behind it: make it a potential auxlang, however, making it an auxlang is actually more difficult way to make it successful...
私のアツい人工言語活動!言カツ!始まります!!
OTʜᴇB
roman
roman

Post by OTʜᴇB » Mon 17 Oct 2016, 17:17

Ok there is something wrong with me.

I'm one to get very paranoid about a wide variety of weird and wonderful things, but I recently discovered two particularly strange ones:
Listening to music with lyrics. Even through headphones. Even when I'm completely alone.
Making a drink I "invented"*. I get really paranoid putting all the ingredients in the mug, but not when I'm stirring it into the milk or adding the hot water.

*2 parts (add water) ovaltine, 1 part cocoa powder, 1 part sugar, 1 part instant coffee. Add milk and mix to a thick liquid. Fill mug with boiling water. Surprisingly tasty.
:con: : Current Project

BTW I use Arch
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist » Mon 17 Oct 2016, 19:33

OTʜᴇB wrote:Ok there is something wrong with me.

I'm one to get very paranoid about a wide variety of weird and wonderful things, but I recently discovered two particularly strange ones:
Listening to music with lyrics. Even through headphones. Even when I'm completely alone.
Making a drink I "invented"*. I get really paranoid putting all the ingredients in the mug, but not when I'm stirring it into the milk or adding the hot water.

*2 parts (add water) ovaltine, 1 part cocoa powder, 1 part sugar, 1 part instant coffee. Add milk and mix to a thick liquid. Fill mug with boiling water. Surprisingly tasty.
Paranoid how? It's quite a loaded word you chose.
OTʜᴇB
roman
roman

Post by OTʜᴇB » Mon 17 Oct 2016, 20:57

gestaltist wrote:

As in I get this really strong feeling of distress, as if I am suddenly the focal point of everyone within a 5 mile radius' attention or topic of conversation.

BTW I use Arch
Frislander
runic
runic

Post by Frislander » Mon 17 Oct 2016, 21:19

OTʜᴇB wrote:
gestaltist wrote:

As in I get this really strong feeling of distress, as if I am suddenly the focal point of everyone within a 5 mile radius' attention or topic of conversation.
Well then you're not getting paranoid about these things, you're getting paranoid when you're doing these things.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist » Mon 17 Oct 2016, 21:21

OTʜᴇB wrote:
gestaltist wrote:

That doesn't sound fun at all. [O.o] I wish I could help somehow but I'm just a stranger on the internet.
OTʜᴇB
roman
roman

Post by OTʜᴇB » Mon 17 Oct 2016, 21:42

gestaltist wrote:
OTʜᴇB wrote:
gestaltist wrote:

That doesn't sound fun at all. [O.o] I wish I could help somehow but I'm just a stranger on the internet.
Thanks. It happens so often and for the strangest of reasons that I've begun to get used to it - but it still makes approaching any group of people nearly impossible.

BTW I use Arch
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Mon 17 Oct 2016, 21:43

That sounds rather like a panic attack....
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » Mon 17 Oct 2016, 22:17

I re-wrote and expanded an old short story of mine from almost four years ago (it went up from 3 to 12 pages in length).
It's written in German, with single sentences in Latin and Italian, much comic relief and a heavy dose of Harry Potter (even heavier than there was in the original text).
Spoiler:
Synopsis
The main character finally wants to go to bed after an exhausting day during a class trip in Italy.
Unfortunately, some of his class mates are more of jackasses and do everything possible to not let him sleep.
Finally, he exits the bedroom in pain and decides to antedate Halloween and enters the neighbouring bedroom, where not only his male class mates are scared to death, but also their female companionship. After a brief quarrel and an interruption by another sleepy classmate, it is revealed that the main character transformed into a werewolf, but he does not splatter the others to death — instead, he carries an unconscious classmate back to her bed in a different bungalow, where he meets another of his female class mates.
After a brief talk and after typing up, the main character goes back to bed.

After a silent night, now back in his human body, he has to tell his teachers what happened in the night before, and he slowly does so with the help of the girl he talked to the night before and his other, sleep-deprived class mate. Slowly, the other class mates who were part of the quarrel at night arrive at the breakfast.
At their sight and at the words of some who dare to say something, the main character explains the dilemma he experiences and the teachers deem him not guilty of breaking any law or rule.
Just as the bus to Pisa arrives, he answers some of the questions his class mates have about his condition.
Last edited by Egerius on Wed 19 Oct 2016, 08:06, edited 1 time in total.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
Ælfwine
greek
greek

Post by Ælfwine » Tue 18 Oct 2016, 07:37

I decided to prepurchase Civ 6 from Steam Workshop.

Tried to put in my free Mastercard gift card, unfortunately it got declined. I hate using my debt card, so I had to do it. It was only $50, that's probably why.
My Blog
Current Projects:
Mannish — A North Germanic language spoken on the Calf of Man
Pelsodian — A Romance language spoken around Lake Balaton
Jezik Panoski — A Slavic language spoken in the same area