Star Wars Universe Discussion [Split Topic]

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Re: Star Wars Universe Discussion [Split Topic]

Post by Lambuzhao » Mon 28 Dec 2015, 00:17

Thrice Xandvii wrote:That's a very good question.

Star Wars isn't especially good at the whole conlang thing... if the past is any evidence, at least. I would imagine some of it was probably versions of actual foreign languages but most was likely gibberish. I too would be interested to know for sure though.
I think Mando'a the Mandalorian language of SW: The Clone Wars & Rebelswas supposed to be more conscientiously Art/Con-langy.

Perhaps Huttese comes in as 6th (?) But it's more a mish-mash of Quechua, some Bantu lang(s) (Swahili?), and mebbe Chinese.

Otherwise, SW never really got past the general "sonic impression" of mashing bits of languages together.

Ben Burt was a Sound Engineer, not a linguist.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Wed 30 Dec 2015, 17:45

I went to a friend's house and I finally saw The Force Awakens... in Tamil (!).

So I saw it, but not necessarily understood everything that happened. [:x]

Call it karma for my friend's piratical tendencies.

Well, visually and musically it was impressive. Since we were all big SW fans, after the first viewing and a few drinks, we had a fun taking turns providing MST3k "voice over" for the scenes. That was rather irreverently funny. [B)]

-Ya gotta make lemonade with those lemons!
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov » Wed 30 Dec 2015, 18:19

gach wrote:
Then again, I would have been more surprised to learn things to have been any other way. Making the world work internally is hardly the attraction of the Star Wars universe.
I was hoping that being owned by Disney, who's Marvel properties had a conlang from DJP, and with JJ Abrams, who's worked with a conlang in another sci-fi franchise, directing, someone would have said "Know what we need? A Conlang". But Oh well.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Wed 30 Dec 2015, 23:33

GrandPiano wrote:
Lambuzhao wrote:Och ya, ich hot die Macht weckt uff in di Tamilsprooch gsehne.
Oh yes, I saw The Force Awakens in Tamil.
《原力觉醒》已经被翻译了成泰米尔语?
The Force Awakens has already been translated into Tamil?
ee Friend hot gsaat «sell sehne, ‘ss iss wie C3PO un die Ewoke» ….
A friend said “Seeing this, is like C3PO and the Ewoks”…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9nN4kvuw98

Zwaar beim.
He was right.
[o.O]
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Wed 30 Dec 2015, 23:38

Shemtov wrote:
gach wrote:
Then again, I would have been more surprised to learn things to have been any other way. Making the world work internally is hardly the attraction of the Star Wars universe.
I was hoping that being owned by Disney, who's Marvel properties had a conlang from DJP, and with JJ Abrams, who's worked with a conlang in another sci-fi franchise, directing, someone would have said "Know what we need? A Conlang". But Oh well.

Friggin "A", guys. :mrred:

Can anyone from Disney say Atlantis: Lost Empire ‽ ‽ ‽ [}:(]

http://decoder.moy.su/_ph/1/2/964277273.jpg

http://41.media.tumblr.com/df2e84d38f5d ... 1_1280.jpg

Yeah.... who is that person in the photo, again???
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Wed 30 Dec 2015, 23:53

The ManCave wrote:palpatine lied when he told anakin that plageuis taught him everything he knew before "killing" him. "To cheat death is a power only one has achieved, but if we work together, I know we can discover the secret."
Palpatine pulled the same fast one about "from a certain point of view" that Ben Kenobi did to Luke.

Palpy "Guess what, Anakin?"
Anakin [emoting excessively] "Wot, Chancelllleour?"
Palpy "Plagueis' apprentice attacked him, no, struck him down, no no no, KILLED HIM...in his sleep!"
Anakin [vapidly] "No way"
Palpy "Yeah. That's it. That's the ticket!"
[img]
https://www.withfriendship.com/images/d ... -image.jpg[/img]
cntrational
roman
roman

Post by cntrational » Thu 31 Dec 2015, 08:57

Shemtov wrote:
gach wrote:
The ones that have conlangs depend on their verisimilitude. Star Wars doesn't.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Fri 01 Jan 2016, 18:06

Most realistic SW fan-video EVER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJixo0-24nA

Absolutely!

[:P]
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Fri 01 Jan 2016, 19:27

Lambuzhao wrote:Most realistic SW fan-video EVER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJixo0-24nA

Absolutely!

I want to play, too!
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Tue 05 Jan 2016, 01:47

Getting ready for birthday festivities the Max Rebo way!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3SjPqG ... dN&index=6

:mrgreen:
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Sat 16 Jan 2016, 15:42

finally saw TFA in :eng:.

Thoughts about some of the characters & plot.
Spoiler:
It will be discovered that Rey is the actual real Vergence of the Force that Darth Plagueis created. He has no control over when it would emerge, only that it would happen. And it did. Just in time to save the franchise. She will continue throwing down, kicking ass and pissing off diehard fanboys.

It will be revealed that Darth Sidious failed b/c he did not find Plagueis' actual creation, or else it was Sidious trying to ape Plagueis' methods. More later.

Snoke is actually Darth Plagueis. Whether or not he was Munn, his face went under some massive "cosmetic surgery" a la Darth Sidious' lightsaber/force-lightning. He just bided his time, like a spider or serpent lying in wait/hibernation/ambush/whatevs.

It will be revealed that Sidious didn't actually kill Darth Plagueis, but it sure seemed so, "from a certain point of view"... :roll:

BB-8 will continue to out-cute the Ewoks, Jar Jar fokking Binks, and mebbe even R2-D2 (just mebbe).

Luke will wind up sacrificing himself a la Ben Kenobi.

(I hope/wish) Leia gets a scene or two where she throws down, even just a little bit. Force-related throwdown would be sweet.
{Heck, she might've been one of Luke's first padawans, but opted out b/c of duties, deciding to marry Han, whatever...}

Maz Kanata may join the Jedi. I kind of doubt it, b/c she is a real free spirit. Maybe she'll be the start of a new group of force-sensitives??

Who the heck was Max Von Sydow's character, anyway? Former jedi Xam Nov Wodys ???? Maybe he was Hess Korrin???

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Don-Wan_Kihotay

A fan-boy can dream, cain't he? [B)]
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Sat 16 Jan 2016, 15:52

Oops. One more prediction based on som fan speculations:
Spoiler:
Walmart will release a "First Order Hologram Room" playset. In it, they will release a tall "blue" Supreme Leader Snoke figure.

In Episodes VIII and IX, It will later be revealed that Supreme Leader Snoke is a diminutive character a la Yoda and Maz Kanata. Subsequently, a smaller "red" Supreme Leader Snoke figure will be released.

http://doomkick.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... ooth-1.jpg

[B)]
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Sun 17 Jan 2016, 23:08

Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Tue 01 Mar 2016, 15:42

If you haven't yet seen The Force Awakens, do not read any further, as this post contains terabytes of titanospoilers. But lemme just ask, where have you been for the past five months if you haven't seen it yet??? [O.o]

So, you've been warned. And berated, a little. Especially if you haven't seen the new SW movie yet. :roll: [D;] [:|]

While I think the theory that Rey is Luke's daughter has quite some weight to it, and this makes sense in light of how the whole SW series is kind of a telling of the different generations of the Skywalker clan (Anakin - Luke - <Rey> ). I kind of baulk at the idea that Rey has to be the child of a previous jedi, whether Luke or Obi-Wan Kenobi (get down wit yo bad self, bombad General!).

Still, another (yes, yet another still) theory about Rey's origin came to me the other day.

I had been thinking about how some folks are purporting that SL Snoke could be Darth Plagueis, but is some kind of body-snatching bloke, who needs fresh hosts to invade and use their bodies.
While I think his using Darth Vader's (completely burnt to a crisp????) body (viz. matching head and cheek wounds) as a host is a bit of a stretch, I think there may be some merit to it. And it's a linchpin for what I'm about to suggest, which I'm a bit surprised nobody thought of (trolling the net to find nada & bupkis).

So here goes.

Rey is a vergence in the Force.
A vergence, you say?

In fact, she may not only be a vergence created by Darth Plagueis, she may be one of a number of vergences (I'm not going to far as to say a plague of vergences..... [B)] ) out in the farthest reaches of the galaxy. But at the very least, yes, Rey is a vergence created by Darth Plagueis.

We know Darth Plagueis could create life using the Force.
We're fairly certain D.P. created Anakin Skywalker. At the very least, Palpatine was pretty convinced Anakin was a science-fair project of D.P.
http://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/wp-conte ... pera11.jpg
You don't smile like that unless your pretty fairly certain, IMHO. [>:)] [}:D]

It's probable that Darth Plagueis experimented a few times before he got it right, and maybe ran a few successful trials, just to make sure he got it right.

It is possible that, while Anakin's birth may well have overlapped with the last years of D.P.'s life,
how much control could D.P. have wielded over THE FORCE?
Did D.P. have the same control over The Force every time he executed these life-creating experiments?
I doubt it.
It's possible, however unlikely, that Rey may be the result of another one of these experiments.
In a way, she is a kind of "Force-Sibling" to Anakin.

She would also be regarded by the body-snatching D.P./Snoke as just a down-the-road vacant piece of real estate. In fact, any and all successful 'vergencces' would be so regarded, whenever the
Force-Stork decided to drop them in the space-time continuum.

That may be why Snoke was so yippy-kie-yay when Kylo Ren brought him the news about Rey.

It is possible Luke discovered her, or she was brought to Luke to be trained in the Force. The way she schools Kylo Ren, with no apparent training, means she's either: a) an especially fluid conduit for The Force, or b) she was trained in The Force previously.

Nonetheless, if she's so derned powerful, I find it unlikely that she was or could have been mind-wiped, like a friggin two-bit (or 2 Megabit ?? ) droid. Grgrgrggh. [:S] Hmmm.... mebbe Kylo Ren did it right after he keyser sose'd all the new Jedi Padawans. He put her memory on some kind of stasis
(Sith five-finger Memory Block) until he would be able to see her again later and switch her memory back on once in his clutches agayne....?

As a sided note, Anakin and his mom Shmi were brought to Tatooine as slaves with Gardulla the Hutt.
Similarly, Rey was abandoned on Jakku by her parent(s) (??), not born there. What does that mean?

I dunno. I'm frothing at the mouth now, so lemme just chill and step back from it all.

May The Force Be With You
[:)]
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Wed 04 May 2016, 09:28

HAPPY STAR WARS DAY!!! [:D] May the Fourth be with you!

So, 4, 5, 2, 3, 6, 7 now?
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Wed 04 May 2016, 10:01

Goodness Gracious Me!

May the Fourth be with You All.
Spoiler:
Best BB-8/Chewie pic to date (plus one of best uses for BB-8):
Spoiler:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! [:P]
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Fri 06 May 2016, 13:49

One of the best photoshops. Combines two of my faves: SW + Mars -

[+1] [<3]

I absolutely love the Martian sky... even if it turns out less dusty-salmon colored than in these photosimages.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Fri 06 May 2016, 13:54

And here's another... of a double-exposed Martian sunset vis-à-vis a famous walker of skies looking off in the distance of utter boredom, once last time...
Spoiler:
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip » Fri 06 May 2016, 15:06

Here is what you've all been waiting for: Mars Special Edition
Spoiler:
Lambuzhao
earth
earth