Star Wars Universe Discussion [Split Topic]

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
cntrational
roman
roman

Re: Star Wars Universe Discussion [Split Topic]

Post by cntrational » Sat 30 May 2015, 03:49

Yeah, that's plausible too.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Sat 30 May 2015, 08:47

cntrational wrote:The thing is, how would they forget about the force that fast? Unless literally every adult died, there has to be a large population that was there during the time of the Jedi; did no adult tell Han about the pre-Empire days?

It's evident that the original intention in episode 4 was to have the Empire and Vader be much older, and this was messed up by the whole thing about Vader being Luke's father.
Or the Emperor employed legions of Men in Black with their blueray Neuralizers. :roll:

That, and regarding the scale/size of the "galaxy", Lucas imagined it as vast as a galaxy is supposed to be.

Tatooine is supposed to be a backwater planet, far from just about all the commotion of the Empire. From later sources we find it is part of the so-called "Outer Rim".

So, if Han grew up around the neighborhood of Tatooine (I don't think it turns out that he is, but whatever) it's possible he hadn't known too much about the Jedi. I imagine Qui Gong and Obi Wan were the only Jedi to show up to Tatooine (again, ignoring other "canon"), and they weren't wont to brandish light sabers or force-shoving folks out in public.

It's funny though, that Obi Wan Kenobi, survivor of Order 66, decides to reveal himself in all his former glory in the midst of a nest of cut-throats and bounty-hunters would would've given their last to turn him over for an Imperial reward. And not one attempts to
collect.

I would have expected something of a mad-dash bar-room blitz like what happens severally to Samurai Jack (Episode VIII-Jack -v- Mad Jack, Episode XVII - Return of the Scotsman).

What a generational memory-wipe, indeed.

As a side note, wow.
Just to think how many planets there may be in our own Galaxy.
http://www.universetoday.com/103379/60- ... s-say-yes/

And perhaps one day in the far far future, we might be citizens of an actual Galactic Republic.
:!:
Hopefully a more diverse bunch (moar tentacles, exoskeletal-multipods, fins, amoebic blobs, crystalline-shards, sluggish gastropodalities, magma-colloids) will be found in the Milky Way's Galactic Senate than all the humanoids in SW and ST.

It just piques the imagination.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Sat 30 May 2015, 22:38

As annoying as I found the apparent forgetfulness of the galaxy regarding the Jedi, it does seem somewhat fair to assume that for the majority of people, even during the height of the Republic, the Jedi may largely been figures of legend. In Star Wars Rebels, for example, it is stated that around 10,000 Jedi a the time of Order 66 and the Great Purge. Wookieepedia states that 69million systems were represented under the Galactic Empire (1.75million planets considered full members) with a total population of 100quadrillion.

Taking both of those numbers as correct, you'd be looking at 1 Jedi per 10billion people, 1 Jedi per 175 "full member" planets or 1 Jedi per 6,900 planets represented by the Empire.

So, looking at it, the chances of almost anyone coming into contact with a Jedi at any point is probably going to be pretty low. They're not as visible as, say, a member of the Galactic Senate or a high profile ambassador, and seem to take part in aiding military units, providing protection for politicians and aiding in negotiations, as far as the films suggest.

Even in Phantom Menace, Viceroy Gunray, IIRC, said that Qui-Gon Jinn's ability to cut through the blast doors was "impossible". Despite knowing of the Jedi in general, he seemed somewhat ignorant of what they could actually do.

It wouldn't surprise me, then, if Han Solo legitimately had never seen anything to make him believe that there's one all-powerful force controlling everything (despite his best friend ever having spent some time with freakin' YODA!), and the same could probably be said of the majority of people he'd ever met.

Obviously, you'd expect someone out there to remember what the Jedi were, but by and large, it'd be fairly similar to us remembering a bunch of diplomats of the UN if they all suddenly died. Some of us would probably know they were around, but generally speaking, very few of us would have ever met one and overall it wouldn't change our lives all that much to the point where we'd likely not notice any difference at all.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Sat 04 Jul 2015, 22:26

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Sun 05 Jul 2015, 01:16

Ready, Kafka?

[xP]
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Tue 28 Jul 2015, 05:44

Add another game for your next SW partay-

https://ranchoborracho.files.wordpress. ... =500&h=886

http://www.andamosarmados.com/wp-conten ... oteria.jpg

http://hazmeelchingadofavor.com/wp-cont ... o_sw_4.jpg

¡Lotería galáctica!

Perfect for May the 4th ~ Cinco de Mayo Celebratory SW Slup-o-Binge [B)]

:mrgreen: [<3] [:D]

IMHO Best character: Greedo as "El Borracho" [xP]
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Tue 28 Jul 2015, 21:31

Lambuzhao wrote:Add another game for your next SW partay-

https://ranchoborracho.files.wordpress. ... =500&h=886

http://www.andamosarmados.com/wp-conten ... oteria.jpg

http://hazmeelchingadofavor.com/wp-cont ... o_sw_4.jpg

¡Lotería galáctica!

Perfect for May the 4th ~ Cinco de Mayo Celebratory SW Slup-o-Binge [B)]

:mrgreen: [<3] [:D]

IMHO Best character: Greedo as "El Borracho" [xP]

Haven't had a proper Star Wars day/party in years, but those used involve watching all of the films one after the other whole drinking, possibly playing Star Wars Trivial Pursuit beforehand.
Just one time.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Mon 31 Aug 2015, 18:51

I am trying really hard to avoid the "Force Awakens" Spoiler-buffet.

There are two things I cannot wrap my head around, though.

What the heck is the deal with Kylo Stimpy's crossbar-makeshift lazer-sword (Stephen Colbert's pretty funny explanation aside)?

Why on (insert Planet) does the First Order need flamethrower Troopers, instead of, say, BFG-9000 Troopers, or Wave Motion-Bazooka Troopers? What's next, flint Acheulean Hand-Axe Troopers?

Racloir Troopers?

Light-Verutum Atlatl-Troopers (Hmmm..... I actually kinda like that one :wat: )

Sorry for the fanboy venting.
Spoiler:

back to Kylo Ren, Commander Hoëk and Cadet Stimpy. [B)]
Spoiler:
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Tue 22 Dec 2015, 16:53

I'm actually a little bit surprised that this thread hasn't been updated yet [:P]
Just one time.
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Tue 22 Dec 2015, 17:08

I'm guessing that Kylo had to construct a saber himself from supplies that are simply no longer easily accessible. I especially imagine that red crystals are hard to come by some 30 years after the last known dark-siders were killed.

As such, I'm fairly certain his saber is a bit of a kludge. However, nothing overt in the movie confirms or denies that hypothesis to the best of my knowledge. But, given what -is- discussed in the movie, it seems a plausible scenario.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Tue 22 Dec 2015, 22:11

@ Thrice:

Kylo Ren's lightsaber is at its heart a kludge deal. I was reading on a forum a couple days ago about just this topic. They posted a scan of a page of (I suppose) the new Star Wars: Force Awakens DK how it works book (or whatever that book is with all the diagrams of everything). It shows the inside of his saber, and how it has a cracked (presumably all he could find) Khyber crystal. That is part of the reason for the extra crackling, flickering, etc. Also, it helps explain why it has these extra blade projections, which the saber's mechanics focus into the two distinctive quillons.

The person on the forum (I will look it up again to give credit) gives a great analogy of the unpredictability of the weapon to Kylo's inconstant and explosive personality.
Great symbolism.

Another contributor suggested that Kylo's saber design is actually based upon very old Sith (and maybe Jedi) early lightsabers...hmmm

I think I found this while looking up Malachar, Knights of Ren, and the Snoke/Plagueis theory running rampant in SW fora nowadays.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Tue 22 Dec 2015, 22:19

BTW, not to spoil the movie, but IMHO one of the best lines in the trailers is when Han says "The Jedi. The Sith. The Force. It's all real."

It's so unbelievable that he makes that kind of statement in the belly of the Falcon, where, years ago, he so facilely poo-pooed Obi Wan and the Force. It's a 720-degree turn for that most doubting of ole Corellian Thomases.
It immediately made me think, apart from Luke/Vader, Han must've seen some sh*t get thrown down to be so sober and X-Files "believe the conspiracy" serious.
Spoiler:
BTW, I have had absolutely NO time to go see it [:'(], but like a good nerd, I read all the spoilers and know what happens basically, and I absolutely CANNOT WAIT to see it. Whoa, is all I can say. He he, I put this in a spoiler [B)]
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Wed 23 Dec 2015, 04:46

Yeah, considering the reveals in the movie... We know Han has seen some shit, the best of which is only hinted at.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Thu 24 Dec 2015, 10:15

was looking for some sources on Gothic month names, and I found this -

http://www.otizvora.com/wp-content/Knig ... 202012.pdf

I scrolled down to page six. I had no idea 'Anakin' was an apostle (!)
[xP]

And his feast day happens to be November 30 (!!)

The wonders caused by misreading never cease!
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Thu 24 Dec 2015, 16:26

Sooo.....

Mangle-trnslating further into :spa:, the name of the father of Lucas Caminacielos would be Andrés Caminacielos.

[xP]

I also enjoy how they mistranslate R2-D2's name on Robot Chicken as Arturito.

Andrés y Arturito - Ahora Star Wars tiene saboooor!
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Fri 25 Dec 2015, 01:49

Lambuzhao wrote:
Spoiler:
Ahora Star Wars tiene saboooor!
FTFY
Shemtov
mayan
mayan

Post by Shemtov » Fri 25 Dec 2015, 04:27

Were any of the languages in the New Movie actual Conlangs? If not, were they all gibberish, or were they coopted natlangs, as happened a lot in the OT?
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Fri 25 Dec 2015, 06:31

That's a very good question.

Star Wars isn't especially good at the whole conlang thing... if the past is any evidence, at least. I would imagine some of it was probably versions of actual foreign languages but most was likely gibberish. I too would be interested to know for sure though.
gach
MVP
MVP

Post by gach » Fri 25 Dec 2015, 18:03

I'm afraid gibberish is your answer,

https://variety.com/2015/film/news/star ... 201663521/

Then again, I would have been more surprised to learn things to have been any other way. Making the world work internally is hardly the attraction of the Star Wars universe.