ASD Over/Under Diagnosis

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Netharía
rupestrian
rupestrian

Re: ASD Over/Under Diagnosis

Post by Netharía » Mon 01 Jun 2015, 02:28

elemtilas wrote:
Khemehekis wrote:So, how should I answer the question "I find social situations easy"?
1. Slap table in outrage
2. Spend five minutes arguing with computer screen over what they could possibly mean by 1) "social situation" and 2) "easy" -- I mean, easy as compared to what, a root canal? What kind of social situation, a rave? A Quaker meeting?
3. Shout into screen, cursing all on-line personality test question writers for a) making all their questions so bloody imprecise and b) making no provision for ambivalent answers as well as no provision for multi-part answers that address fourteen different types of, e.g., "social situation" and the sliding scale of "ease"
4. Select answer "D", "definitely disagree".
This is the best possible reaction to that question.

Also since I took it, 39. I have a confirmed ASD/Asperger's diagnosis.
Of many places.

Šaol, a priori conworld.
Modern Tzuman, Anaşa Salanja
Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » Mon 01 Jun 2015, 02:40

BTW, the version of the test given in the OP erroneously states that 26-32 = Asperger's and 33+ = autism. This is what the scores really signify:
Wikipedia wrote:Use as a diagnostic tool

In the initial trials of the test,[7] the average score in the control group was 16.4, with men scoring slightly higher than women (about 17 versus about 15). 80% of adults diagnosed with autism spectrum disorders scored 32 or more, compared with only 2% of the control group.

The authors cited a score of 32 or more as indicating "clinically significant levels of autistic traits". However, although the test is popularly used for self-diagnosis of Asperger syndrome, the authors caution that it is not intended to be diagnostic, and advise that anyone who obtains a high score and is suffering some distress should seek professional medical advice and not jump to any conclusions.[5]

A further research paper indicated that the questionnaire could be used for screening in clinical practice, with scores less than 26 indicating that a diagnosis of Asperger syndrome can effectively be ruled out.[1]

It is also often used to assess milder variants of autistic-like traits in typically developing individuals to investigate the continuum hypothesis of autism spectrum condition.[8][9][10]
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 57,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » Mon 01 Jun 2015, 02:42

Khemehekis wrote:BTW, the version of the test given in the OP erroneously states that 26-32 = Asperger's and 33+ = autism. This is what the scores really signify:
Wikipedia wrote:Use as a diagnostic tool

In the initial trials of the test,[7] the average score in the control group was 16.4, with men scoring slightly higher than women (about 17 versus about 15). 80% of adults diagnosed with autism spectrum disorders scored 32 or more, compared with only 2% of the control group.

The authors cited a score of 32 or more as indicating "clinically significant levels of autistic traits". However, although the test is popularly used for self-diagnosis of Asperger syndrome, the authors caution that it is not intended to be diagnostic, and advise that anyone who obtains a high score and is suffering some distress should seek professional medical advice and not jump to any conclusions.[5]

A further research paper indicated that the questionnaire could be used for screening in clinical practice, with scores less than 26 indicating that a diagnosis of Asperger syndrome can effectively be ruled out.[1]

It is also often used to assess milder variants of autistic-like traits in typically developing individuals to investigate the continuum hypothesis of autism spectrum condition.[8][9][10]
This was the version Wikipedia linked to at that time, [:|]
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.
Netharía
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Netharía » Mon 01 Jun 2015, 06:04

The differences between Asperger's and Autism are a hell of a lot more complicated than will come out in an online multiple choice test.

Also, an interesting blog post by a low-functioning autistic person.
Of many places.

Šaol, a priori conworld.
Modern Tzuman, Anaşa Salanja
masako
shadowlight
shadowlight

Post by masako » Mon 01 Jun 2015, 10:23

That test is a 50 meter high pile of gopher dung.

I have a diagnosis and it gave me a 12. I took it a few years ago and it gave me a 36.
gach
MVP
MVP

Post by gach » Mon 01 Jun 2015, 11:49

That's the problem with self diagnosis tests. You don't have the expertise on how to properly use and interpret them, the statistics are really sparse and on top of that all you'll probably anticipate a certain kind of result to start with. As a result, you should expect both large systematic biases and a huge random scatter in the results.
alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » Mon 01 Jun 2015, 15:19

Something I don't think the test does (or can) account for is when you're not good at something, but you deliberately train yourself to become better at that. For example, I hate social situations and spend 100% of the time trying to figure out what I'm supposed to say, what my facial expression should be, how to hold my hands... but I've worked very hard to disguise all of this, and I've been told (after I asked!) that I appear natural in these situations, even though I'm faking the entire time. So in one sense, I guess I am "good" at social chitchat, because I plan out ahead of time possible things to say and how to react to what other people say, but that's... not really the same thing as being "naturally" good at it, is it?

Anyway, I got a 22 the first time and a 21 the second, so at least I'm consistent. I'm surprised it's not higher. While I know I'm not autistic, I do have some marginal stereotypically "autistic" traits, like being uncomfortable in social situations and always noticing numbers and patterns. But I adore fiction and have an over-active imagination (as in, I routinely lose track of even face-to-face conversations because I started writing a story in my head... I call it "running scenarios", it makes it sound less dumb :P), so maybe that knocked the score down.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Mon 01 Jun 2015, 17:00

masako wrote:That test is a 50 meter high pile of gopher dung.

I have a diagnosis and it gave me a 12. I took it a few years ago and it gave me a 36.
That's the spirit! Always look on the bright side!

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist » Mon 01 Jun 2015, 18:10

I got 18 for what’s it worth. I love taking questionnaires for some reason.
masako
shadowlight
shadowlight

Post by masako » Mon 01 Jun 2015, 23:50

elemtilas wrote:That's the spirit! Always look on the bright side!
Not sure what you think you might mean by this, but I think you're being a bit insensitive. I'm really disturbed by this. I don't know if I'll ever be able to cope with such a devastating reality. The thought of it brings me to tears. If I could start over I would. I'm so absolutely distraught by this turn of events.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Tue 02 Jun 2015, 02:56

masako wrote:
elemtilas wrote:That's the spirit! Always look on the bright side!
Not sure what you think you might mean by this, but I think you're being a bit insensitive. I'm really disturbed by this. I don't know if I'll ever be able to cope with such a devastating reality. The thought of it brings me to tears. If I could start over I would. I'm so absolutely distraught by this turn of events.
Never fear! I'm sure we'll both get over these things just fine. You know: train at the end of the tunnel; lightest before dusk; any storm while at port. Whatever floats yer bloody zeppelin!

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
masako
shadowlight
shadowlight

Post by masako » Tue 02 Jun 2015, 10:11

elemtilas wrote:train at the end of the tunnel
What does this mean? Of course the train would be at the end of the tunnel...it would pass through both ends of the tunnel at some point while traveling through the tunnel. I'm fairly certain I don't know what you're trying to say and I think you're trying to play mind games with me. Please stop.
k1234567890y
runic
runic

Post by k1234567890y » Wed 03 Jun 2015, 12:59

My score was 42 out of a possible 50.

Also, I was diagnosed as a suspected case.
私のアツい人工言語活動!言カツ!始まります!!
Bristel
greek
greek

Post by Bristel » Sun 07 Jun 2015, 01:27

I have a feeling that I might have a higher score than usual, but only because my attention deficit disorder makes me tend to staying in a routine, otherwise I'm extremely social. Tics and other things might just be caused by my nervousness, or anxieties.

I've only been officially diagnosed as having ADD as a child, and not diagnosed with anything else since then.

EDIT: My score was 14/50.

I have an acquaintance who scored lower than the threshold on the test, but has many quirks which given official diagnosis could indicate being on the spectrum, but then again, he's just naive type from the middle of nowhere with little life experience, so it's possible that he's just not grown into adulthood as well as others. He has a hard time socializing and he tends to flirt with too many people with no thought to consequences.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīqua cupiditāte illectus hōc agō.
[tiː.mɔ.tʉɥs god.lɐf hɑwk]
Darvince
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Darvince » Thu 11 Jun 2015, 14:05

If this test was any more vague I'd be calling it astrology or fortune telling! Sheesh, I could just as easily answer "Strongly Disagree" as I could "Strongly Agree" for a good half of them. Like, I find this question in so many online quizzes about things, yet it never gives any examples:

28. I usually concentrate more on the whole picture, rather than on the small details.

I don't know, what sort of thing are you talking about? How small? How big picture? For whatever it's worth, the random number gods said 18/50.
CBB forum is of Polandball
My minicity

:usa: Fluent
:esp: C1
:con: Himalian, A1
Tanni
greek
greek

Post by Tanni » Thu 11 Jun 2015, 15:08

28. I usually concentrate more on the whole picture, rather than on the small details.
I usually don't concentate on what I concentrate more, on the whole picture, rather than on the small details.
My neurochemistry has fucked my impulse control, now I'm diagnosed OOD = oppositional opinion disorder, one of the most deadly diseases in totalitarian states, but can be cured in the free world.
Chagen
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Chagen » Fri 10 Jul 2015, 23:57

41. I have never been diagnosed, however. The only condition I'm considered to have is ADHD.

I mean, unless people on /a/ and /jp/ calling me autistic counts, which it probably doesn't.
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » Sat 01 Aug 2015, 06:40

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism-sp ... ry-Smith-1

"A further research paper indicated that the questionnaire could be used for screening in clinical practice, with scores less than 26 indicating that a diagnosis of Asperger syndrome can effectively be ruled out."[1]

The study is here. If your AQ is less than 26, the chances you have Asperger's are infinitesimally small (and if you got a 12, that would make them astronomically small).

Have you considered the possibility that you simply outgrew your Asperger's? According to the Wikipedia article, it does happen. If not, how would you say you came to score a mere 12 despite being diagnosed with Asperger's (and despite scoring a 36 earlier)?
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 57,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
masako
shadowlight
shadowlight

Post by masako » Sat 01 Aug 2015, 10:00

Khemehekis wrote:According to the Wikipedia article, it does happen.
Well, then, it most definitely has to be true and entirely accurate,
Khemehekis wrote:Have you considered the possibility that you simply outgrew your Asperger's?
The time between each of my attempts at this test is far shorter than you seem to realize.
Khemehekis wrote:If not, how would you say you came to score a mere 12 despite being diagnosed with Asperger's (and despite scoring a 36 earlier)?
Tanni
greek
greek

Post by Tanni » Sat 01 Aug 2015, 10:34

masako wrote:
Khemehekis wrote:According to the Wikipedia article, it does happen.
Well, then, it most definitely has to be true and entirely accurate,
Wikipedia wrote:The autism-spectrum quotient (AQ) is a questionnaire published in 2001 by Simon Baron-Cohen and his colleagues at the Autism Research Centre in Cambridge, UK. Consisting of fifty questions, it aims to investigate whether adults of average intelligence have symptoms of autism or one of the other autism spectrum conditions.
So we can conclude that you're either not adult or not of ''average intelligence'', or both!
My neurochemistry has fucked my impulse control, now I'm diagnosed OOD = oppositional opinion disorder, one of the most deadly diseases in totalitarian states, but can be cured in the free world.