ASD Over/Under Diagnosis

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

ASD Over/Under Diagnosis

Post by qwed117 » Sun 31 May 2015, 04:15

Based primarily on what was a disagreement (that has nothing to do with the current thread) between me and Ahzoh that quickly devolved into me shouting needlessly at my computer and at everyone on the forum, I have created this thread. Now I'm an awful essayist, so I'll get to the gist.
Go to http://psychology-tools.com/autism-spec ... /score.php
Post your score, and then comment on your beliefs
I'll start.
I got a 35.
I don't believe I have ASD because ASD usually depicts having a intense focus. First of all, I am heavily unfocused. Within 5 minutes, I'll either get bored and will change activities, or if it piques my interest, I'll go on Wikipedia, research it for 2-3 hours, and then get bored and change my activities. In my answers it becomes apparent that my "autistic" behaviors were rather me being shunned by classmates because my family was focused on the rising success of my older brother. I never adequately developed social skills, unlike my brother, and I attempted to socialize but I was too incapable of creating friends that I eventually turn them off due to my incessant domineering. This domineering is almost surely a Napoleon complex. In addition, it is likely that I overreported some areas. Now that I think of it, while I tried to tone down my answers, I almost definitely said that I don't understand most jokes. I should clarify that if given context, I will understand the joke, but also be "Well, your joke could've made more sense if...."
Edit: I redid the form with my edits, I got a 34/50 "Scores in the 33 - 50 range indicate significant Austistic traits (Autism)."
Last edited by qwed117 on Sun 31 May 2015, 04:57, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Re: ASD Over/Under Diagnosis

Post by Ahzoh » Sun 31 May 2015, 04:19

I rather trust the docs than some site.
Ahzoh wrote:
qwed117 wrote:Secondarily, (I refuse to fight this point) None of you guys are ASD (based on what I know). You have many different pursuits, conworlding, concultures and conlanging, which are all barely related. ASD kids tend to get fixated on various things.
None? Nay, I am. I fit all of the criteria...

You think I don't have a special interest? I'm very fixated on cultures and everything related to cultural anthropology (of which linguistics is arguably a part of). Everyone who knows me knows that I talk about the topic for hours on end.
I'm rather fixated to the point of obsession.
Image Ӯсцӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Vṛḵažaẇ (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » Sun 31 May 2015, 04:24

Ahzoh wrote:I rather trust the docs than some site.
Ahzoh wrote:
qwed117 wrote:Secondarily, (I refuse to fight this point) None of you guys are ASD (based on what I know). You have many different pursuits, conworlding, concultures and conlanging, which are all barely related. ASD kids tend to get fixated on various things.
None? Nay, I am. I fit all of the criteria...

You think I don't have a special interest? I'm very fixated on cultures and everything related to cultural anthropology (of which linguistics is arguably a part of). Everyone who knows me knows that I talk about the topic for hours on end.
The docs [:|] You've been clinically diagnosed by someone other than Andrew Wakefield? (Don't take that seriously! Seriously!)
Spoiler:
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo » Sun 31 May 2015, 04:45

qwed117 wrote:I don't believe I have ASD because ASD usually depicts having a intense focus. First of all, I am heavily unfocused. Within 5 minutes, I'll either get bored and will change activities, or if it piques my interest, I'll go on Wikipedia, research it for 2-3 hours, and then get bored and change my activities.
Stereotyping. This is the equivalent of saying, "I couldn't possibly be HIV-positive, I'm not gay!"
My pronouns are <xie> [ʒiː] / <xer> [ʒɚ]

My shitty twitter
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Sun 31 May 2015, 04:48

Micamo wrote:
qwed117 wrote:I don't believe I have ASD because ASD usually depicts having a intense focus. First of all, I am heavily unfocused. Within 5 minutes, I'll either get bored and will change activities, or if it piques my interest, I'll go on Wikipedia, research it for 2-3 hours, and then get bored and change my activities.
Stereotyping. This is the equivalent of saying, "I couldn't possibly be HIV-positive, I'm not gay!"
Ahhhhhh I hate stereotypes.
It's already enough that people think I'm a devil worshiper because I'm an atheist.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » Sun 31 May 2015, 04:54

Ahzoh wrote:
Micamo wrote:
Ahhhhhh I hate stereotypes.
It's already enough that people think I'm a devil worshiper because I'm an atheist.
The Almighty Oracle of all wrote:People with Asperger syndrome display behavior, interests, and activities that are restricted and repetitive and are sometimes abnormally intense or focused. They may stick to inflexible routines, move in stereotyped and repetitive ways, or preoccupy themselves with parts of objects.[27]

Pursuit of specific and narrow areas of interest is one of the most striking features of AS.[1] Individuals with AS may collect volumes of detailed information on a relatively narrow topic such as weather data or star names, without necessarily having a genuine understanding of the broader topic.[1][9] For example, a child might memorize camera model numbers while caring little about photography.[1] This behavior is usually apparent by age 5 or 6.[1] Although these special interests may change from time to time, they typically become more unusual and narrowly focused, and often dominate social interaction so much that the entire family may become immersed. Because narrow topics often capture the interest of children, this symptom may go unrecognized.[9]

Stereotyped and repetitive motor behaviors are a core part of the diagnosis of AS and other ASDs.[32] They include hand movements such as flapping or twisting, and complex whole-body movements.[27] These are typically repeated in longer bursts and look more voluntary or ritualistic than tics, which are usually faster, less rhythmical and less often symmetrical.[33]

According to the Adult Asperger Assessment (AAA) diagnostic test, a lack of interest in fiction and a positive preference towards non-fiction is common among adults with AS.[34]
I also misread fiction for non-fiction. I actually dislike most non-fictional writing because all I encounter are stuff that's far below my level, or stuff that's too far above.
Spoiler:
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Sun 31 May 2015, 05:02

Well...
The Almighty Oracle of all wrote:Pursuit of specific and narrow areas of interest is one of the most striking features of AS.[1] Individuals with AS may collect volumes of detailed information on a relatively narrow topic such as weather data or star names, without necessarily having a genuine understanding of the broader topic.[1][9] For example, a child might memorize camera model numbers while caring little about photography.[1] This behavior is usually apparent by age 5 or 6.[1] Although these special interests may change from time to time, they typically become more unusual and narrowly focused, and often dominate social interaction so much that the entire family may become immersed. Because narrow topics often capture the interest of children, this symptom may go unrecognized.[9]
I dunno about you but conlanging, conculturing, and conworlding, are pretty unusual interests. Additionally, as I said, I often talk on end about cultural anthropological topics, especially to my mother... In fact, it's my go-to topics when I have nothing else to talk about.
Stereotyped and repetitive motor behaviors are a core part of the diagnosis of AS and other ASDs.[32] They include hand movements such as flapping or twisting, and complex whole-body movements.[27] These are typically repeated in longer bursts and look more voluntary or ritualistic than tics, which are usually faster, less rhythmical and less often symmetrical.[33]
I dunno, but I often rock in my chair back and forth, and I do this sleeping too.
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip » Sun 31 May 2015, 05:08

I tried the test. I got 12. According to this test, I have little or no Autistic traits. Do with this information what you will!
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Sun 31 May 2015, 05:12

An automatic flaw to the test is that there is a dichotomous choice and no middle point for unsurety...
But I'm a 28 out of 50.
Scores in the 26 - 32 range indicate some Autistic traits (Aspergers Syndrome).
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » Sun 31 May 2015, 05:18

Ahzoh wrote:Well...
The Almighty Oracle of all wrote:Pursuit of specific and narrow areas of interest is one of the most striking features of AS.[1] Individuals with AS may collect volumes of detailed information on a relatively narrow topic such as weather data or star names, without necessarily having a genuine understanding of the broader topic.[1][9] For example, a child might memorize camera model numbers while caring little about photography.[1] This behavior is usually apparent by age 5 or 6.[1] Although these special interests may change from time to time, they typically become more unusual and narrowly focused, and often dominate social interaction so much that the entire family may become immersed. Because narrow topics often capture the interest of children, this symptom may go unrecognized.[9]
I dunno about you but conlanging, conculturing, and conworlding, are pretty unusual interests. Additionally, as I said, I often talk on end about cultural anthropological topics, especially to my mother... In fact, it's my go-to topics when I have nothing else to talk about.
I dunno, but I often rock in my chair back and forth, and I do this sleeping too.
I'm going to ask the question again, don't take this negatively, just so I can attempt to have a better understanding of your POV, do you have a formal clinical diagnosis from a pediatrist? I'll still take you seriously if you answer no; the discussion make take a different tilt though.

[1]I will assure you that anthropology is a wide field, but if you are into say the effects of x on human culture, then I'd say you are exhibiting ASD-associated behaviors.
[2]I do the same, I'd agree, that's suspicious of ASD, but often I do this intentionally, or out of boredom. I don't hand-flap or anything else though
Spoiler:
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip » Sun 31 May 2015, 05:19

Probably because not being sure amounts to a failure to answer the question, and every question you fail to answer makes the test less and less accurate. That's the problem with online tests.
Sḿtuval
greek
greek

Post by Sḿtuval » Sun 31 May 2015, 05:21

I got 24, but I'm quite sure I'm not autistic because my parents actually had be tested as a child. [xD]

I don't really think sites like that are accurate, at least not as much as an actual diagnosis. :roll:
I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.
kilenc
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by kilenc » Sun 31 May 2015, 05:26

i agree with some of the other posters, that youre basing a lot of this on stereotypes and some online survey. i dont think you can accurately make a professional medical diagnosis based on fleeting interactions with someone on an internet board. so i have no reason to doubt ahzoh or anyone elses diagnoses.

even if i did have a reason, confronting that person about it seems more rude than its worth being. after all, why does it harm you in any way if ahzoh has been diagnosed with autism and doesnt have it? its really not anything that involves you.
eventually ill work out a good conlang :)
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » Sun 31 May 2015, 05:27

Ahzoh wrote:An automatic flaw to the test is that there is a dichotomous choice and no middle point for unsurety...
But I'm a 28 out of 50.
Scores in the 26 - 32 range indicate some Autistic traits (Aspergers Syndrome).
Yeah that's a definite problem. In fact, I bet that if I were to err on the side of non-ASD, then I would surely get a 26-32 range
I changed all of the answers where I wrote "slightly agree" or "slightly disagree" to the version that was more traditional. Massive drop to 24. That's the definite edge of statistical certainty.
Sḿtuval wrote:I got 24, but I'm quite sure I'm not autistic because my parents actually had be tested as a child. [xD]

I don't really think sites like that are accurate, at least not as much as an actual diagnosis. :roll:
It's currently the only indicator we have
clawgrip wrote:Probably because not being sure amounts to a failure to answer the question, and every question you fail to answer makes the test less and less accurate. That's the problem with online tests.
Almost definitively,(look to my comment below Ahzoh's [:)] .
Spoiler:
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Sun 31 May 2015, 05:28

qwed117 wrote:[1]I will assure you that anthropology is a wide field, but if you are into say the effects of x on human culture, then I'd say you are exhibiting ASD-associated behaviors.
[2]I do the same, I'd agree, that's suspicious of ASD, but often I do this intentionally, or out of boredom. I don't hand-flap or anything else though
I already told you, I got it from the people who study the cognitive abilities of people and those with cognitive disorders (cognitive psychologists). I had this done when I was 8, and had this done this year, so it was done by two people. You don't know the kind of tests that were involved in my assessment.

I doubt you spent the years required to be a professional in this field to make the educated judgements of my diagnosis, so I dont know why you are questioning them. I can even provide the names of the ones who did the assessment if you don't believe me, and I have in my possession the assessment papers..

Anthropology is a wide topics, but I told you that I study the concept of cultures and languages, but I'm more interested in African cultures and Semitic languages.

If often find my self rocking back-and-forth subconsciously, and sometimes my legs...
Last edited by Ahzoh on Sun 31 May 2015, 05:35, edited 5 times in total.
Zontas
roman
roman

Post by Zontas » Sun 31 May 2015, 05:30

For the record, while i said autism, me and Ahzoh have Asperger's more specifically. My friend who also wants to join and who i mentioned in the parent thread has plain old high functioning autism. Also on the parent thread, what i meant by 'suffer' was 'have'.

Anyways, my super-interest are internet review shows like The Nostalgia Critic or JonTron. I have other interests, but they aren't nearly as strong. I do also twitch a lot, pace constantly, talk to myself, stretch my jaw, clench my hands, and bite my dead skin around my fingers among other tics. I have a severely bad time picking up subtle communication cues, and i am not good in hypersocial settings like parties. I also should mention i have clinical depression (which has led to trichotillomania) and generalized anxiety disorder.

Also, i can't fault anyone for considering themself autism spectrum without a super-interest because a) you don't need all the symptoms to be diagnosable as autistic, and b) the super-interest that your brain is wired for might not exist yet (imagine a Clay Marzo [a surfer] being born in the 1200s).

And yes, i have been repeatedly diagnosed with the issues i said i have by multiple professionals.
Last edited by Zontas on Sun 31 May 2015, 05:37, edited 1 time in total.
Hey there.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Re: ASD in Online Communities

Post by qwed117 » Sun 31 May 2015, 05:35

kilenc wrote:i agree with some of the other posters, that youre basing a lot of this on stereotypes and some online survey. i dont think you can accurately make a professional medical diagnosis based on fleeting interactions with someone on an internet board. so i have no reason to doubt ahzoh or anyone elses diagnoses.

even if i did have a reason, confronting that person about it seems more rude than its worth being. after all, why does it harm you in any way if ahzoh has been diagnosed with autism and doesnt have it? its really not anything that involves you.
¯\_ [:|]_/¯And if you want to know why, look up "Jenny McCarthy". The world is very scary for autism fearmongering. People believe WebMD and Wikipedia are the only sources for info. That's supposed to be ironic [:)]

I'll take it from Ahzoh that he has been definitively diagnosed as ASD.
Okay, so now that the debate has been resolved, it would be kind of nice to see responses from the test. Think of it as a testing the accuracy of the test, which we have steadily denounced.
PS:I'm looking for r/p-values, for the test
Edit: I redid the test (to view bias). It now gives me 30. I feel that 24's probably more accurate describing me. I'm almost entirely a "Grand Unification" kind of guy; a person who wants to see how all the variables interact within a system.
Last edited by qwed117 on Sun 31 May 2015, 05:39, edited 2 times in total.
Spoiler:
DesEsseintes
cleardarkness
cleardarkness

Post by DesEsseintes » Sun 31 May 2015, 05:38

I scored 13. [:)]
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo » Sun 31 May 2015, 05:40

kilenc wrote:i agree with some of the other posters, that youre basing a lot of this on stereotypes and some online survey. i dont think you can accurately make a professional medical diagnosis based on fleeting interactions with someone on an internet board. so i have no reason to doubt ahzoh or anyone elses diagnoses.

Because being autistic on the internet is like being a "fake geek girl." Discussions about your experiences somehow have to be accompanied with proof that you're "real", or you'll get shouted down by certain people with bizzare complexes about it.

Anyway: Since this has become a "post your number" thread, I got 41.
Last edited by Micamo on Sun 31 May 2015, 05:42, edited 1 time in total.
My pronouns are <xie> [ʒiː] / <xer> [ʒɚ]

My shitty twitter
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Re: ASD in Online Communities

Post by clawgrip » Sun 31 May 2015, 05:42

qwed117 wrote:PS:I'm looking for r/p-values, for the test
For the question "I am fascinated by numbers" I gave the answer "definitely disagree" In other words, I don't know what you're talking about. Please explain!