ASD Over/Under Diagnosis

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Re: ASD Over/Under Diagnosis

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Sat 01 Aug 2015, 11:24

I scored 31. However, for a lot of things, self-report data is unreliable. Not to mention that a LOT of those questions can be chalked up, in my case, to a very minor degree of OCPD (like definitely not diagnosable, but certainly there) and a predilection toward being an introvert.

That being said, I do sometimes wonder if I might have a small slice of traits from the Autistic Spectrum. Again, not enough to diagnose, assuredly, but I am exceedingly literal, to the point where I can't understand people sometimes because they use words incorrectly, or not in a way that context would make obvious. Also, even though I know someone is joking, I am compelled to inform them why what they said wouldn't work in reality... To which they say "duh, I was joking." And then I'm stuck saying "I know... but that doesn't actually make sense." Its just a weird almost compulsion. Also, I am exceedingly inflexible about some things, specifically listening to music I don't like (I'm prone to pop-induced tantrums), the way in which things are organized and to a lesser extent altering my routine (while it's not always the same, once I make decisions about how and when I want to do something I really really don't want those plans altered).
masako
shadowlight
shadowlight

Post by masako » Sat 01 Aug 2015, 14:03

Tanni wrote:So we can conclude that you're either not adult or not of ''average intelligence'', or both!
Sure. No reason you can't be foolish. Go for it.

The subjectivity and complete lack of scientific rigor invested in an online survey shouldn't stop anyone from swallowing whatever turds they choose. I'll leave you to it.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist » Sat 01 Aug 2015, 15:26

masako wrote:
Tanni wrote:So we can conclude that you're either not adult or not of ''average intelligence'', or both!

The subjectivity and complete lack of scientific rigor invested in an online survey shouldn't stop anyone from swallowing whatever turds they choose. I'll leave you to it.
masako - do you hold the belief that whoever shouts the loudest and throws the most insults is always right? Or are you simply being a dick?
masako
shadowlight
shadowlight

Post by masako » Sat 01 Aug 2015, 16:38

gestaltist wrote:masako - do you hold the belief that whoever shouts the loudest and throws the most insults is always right? Or are you simply being a dick?
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Sun 02 Aug 2015, 11:31

gestaltist wrote:Masako: Do you hold the belief that whoever shouts the loudest and throws the most insults is always right? Or are you simply being a dick?
Yes to both, on occasion?

Given the information that this test is actually the work of a published researcher in the field of psychology and specifically a rather famous name in Autistic research, I am given to believing that the huge variance Masako experienced is due to a shift in his interpretation of the questions themselves moreso than a flaw in the actual test.

Administration of psychological tests usually occurs alongside some very specific instructions and suggestions from the psychologist or researcher administering said test. In the present case, we certainly don't have that. As such, we are free to take liberties with interpretation that may not otherwise have happened. Also, this test would likely be administered in the field only to suspected autistics to help home in on if this is the best diagnosis when other methods of differential diagnosis weren't clear or possibly when a clinician prefers tests to just guess-work and close readings of the DSM 5.

All tests have flaws, and all diagnoses have corner cases. These two can often combine to make things even harder, that's why a good diagnostician will never trust only a test to do his work for him. Proper diagnosis is a mighty complex issue with some real consequences if you fuck it up.

Being beligirent about "internet tests" (which only applies to this test in so much as its presentation) doesn't help a dang thing. if you don't like your result, fine, but being rude doesn't fix it. (Especially when it is targeted at the wrong people.)
masako
shadowlight
shadowlight

Post by masako » Sun 02 Aug 2015, 23:23

Thrice Xandvii wrote:Yes to both, on occasion?
Of course, because those are the only options. Good job referencing all of the yelling and name calling I've done in this discussion.
Thrice Xandvii wrote:I am given to believing that the huge variance Masako experienced is due to a shift in his interpretation of the questions themselves more so than a flaw in the actual test.
Which is exactly what I said when I said "The subjectivity...in an online survey".
Thrice Xandvii wrote:Administration of psychological tests usually occurs alongside some very specific instructions and suggestions from the psychologist or researcher administering said test. In the present case, we certainly don't have that.
Which is why this test is a 50 meter high pile of gopher dung. As previously stated.
Thrice Xandvii wrote:Being beligirent about "internet tests" (which only applies to this test in so much as its presentation) doesn't help a dang thing.
By the same reasoning, it should be obvious, it causes absolutely no damage to anyone...at all.
Thrice Xandvii wrote: if you don't like your result, fine, but being rude doesn't fix it. (Especially when it is targeted at the wrong people.)
Right. Which rudeness? Directed at whom?

My disparaging remarks (in this thread) have been directed at the test. Others, however, have said things that might be interpreted as rude toward me, and all I have said in return is that they are free to make the foolish decision to feel that way. If read clearly, it should be understood that the person's decision is being referred to as foolish, not the person as a whole. But far be it from me to be categorical in a thread about ASD.

I realize by the responses that some have taken my comments very personally. In light of that, I will refrain from posting further in this thread.

Peace.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Mon 03 Aug 2015, 02:23

I started to take the survey. I gave up after 6 questions.
I guess that means I get a Negative 21 score?

Why aren't we chatting on the Conlang Conversation Thread instead?
You know, I really like the new 'The Star Wars" comics from Dark Horse.

I have to take out the trash now.

Later
Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » Mon 03 Aug 2015, 03:30

Lambuzhao wrote:Why aren't we chatting on the Conlang Conversation Thread instead?
[+1]
I have to take out the trash now.
Perge et vince! [:)]
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Xonen

Post by Xonen » Mon 03 Aug 2015, 13:53

gestaltist wrote:
masako wrote:

masako - do you hold the belief that whoever shouts the loudest and throws the most insults is always right? Or are you simply being a dick?
Well, given that that's in response to something that kind of looks like a completely unprovoked insult, being a dick would be an understandable if not particularly commendable reaction. Although the charitable interpretation of Tanni's post might be that perhaps masako is simply of above average intelligence to a degree that the test stops working (not sure if that'd make sense, but anyway). Still, speculating about other people's age or intelligence on the interwebz tends to carry the risk of being taken rather badly.
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa » Mon 03 Aug 2015, 14:35

Tanni was obviously making a jocular attempt at criticising the method as it's obviously wrong if that's the conclusion that can be drawn from it, but in my experience a lot of people here can't read that sort of stuff. :/
Curlyjimsam
sinic
sinic

Post by Curlyjimsam » Tue 04 Aug 2015, 18:39

I scored 18, which is "little or no Autistic traits" and is consistent with results I've achieved on similar things in the past. But I doubt anyone who actually knows me would deny I do have certain (stereotypically) autistic traits, though perhaps in other areas I'm the opposite of a typical autistic person.

But there are a lot of complications in tests like these: for example, I might think I'm good at understanding people's facial expressions, but maybe I'm totally wrong about that. And a lot of the questions describe situations that in reality are quite nuanced - e.g. I behave very differently in social situations surrounded by friends than by strangers.
Twitter: @jsbaker750
k1234567890y
runic
runic

Post by k1234567890y » Tue 04 Aug 2015, 20:28

The chance that you actually have autism if your score is 32 or more, using what wikipedia has said(it is said that about 1.4% of people have autism spectrum disorder):

1.4%*80%/[(100-1.4)%*2%+1.4%*80%] ~ 0.36222509702

That means if your score is 32 or more, the chance that you actually have autism spectrum disorder is about 36.22%

--------

The chance that you actually have autism if your score is 31 or lower, using what wikipedia has said(it is said that about 1.4% of people have autism spectrum disorder):

1.4%*20%/[(100-1.4)%*98%+1.4%*20%] ~ 0.00288933834

That means if your score is 31 or lower, the chance that you actually have autism spectrum disorder is about 0.29%
Spoiler:
Click wrote:I got 9/50. I feel weird here. [D;]
kilenc wrote:fear not! i only got a 7.
welcome to the Cuckoo's Nest! [}:D]
私のアツい人工言語活動!言カツ!始まります!!
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Tue 04 Aug 2015, 20:46

That's a really sharp decline.
Image Ӯсцӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Vṛḵažaẇ (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
k1234567890y
runic
runic

Post by k1234567890y » Tue 04 Aug 2015, 21:19

Ahzoh wrote:That's a really sharp decline.
probably, but even among people whose score is 32 or more, it seems that most of them don't actually have autism, and probably everyone should go to a doctor and get a diagnosis before they claim that they have autism.
私のアツい人工言語活動!言カツ!始まります!!
Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » Mon 06 Jun 2016, 06:04

masako wrote:
Khemehekis wrote:Have you considered the possibility that you simply outgrew your Asperger's? According to the Wikipedia article, it does happen.
Well, then, it most definitely has to be true and entirely accurate,
I just had to answer this.

A lot of people dismiss out of hand the reliability of Wikipedia. But Wikipedia does run on reliable sources. Here's the exact quote from the Fount of All Knowledge:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_ ... #Prognosis

"There is some evidence that children with AS may see a lessening of symptoms; up to 20% of children may no longer meet the diagnostic criteria as adults, although social and communication difficulties may persist.[8]"

The citation links to this article:

http://link.springer.com/article/10.100 ... 008-0701-0

Looks reliable to me.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 57,500 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Frislander
runic
runic

Post by Frislander » Mon 06 Jun 2016, 09:34

Well, I actually have a diagnosis and I scored 40. (I'm actually quite lucky: I was diagnosed formally at about 6-7, but my mum tells me that my parents suspected that I was on the spectrum when I was about 3)

I'd say that I'm not as markedly autistic as I was when I was younger, but it does still have a visible impact on my life.
Tanni
greek
greek

Post by Tanni » Mon 06 Jun 2016, 09:53

Khemehekis wrote:A lot of people dismiss out of hand the reliability of Wikipedia. But Wikipedia does run on reliable sources.
The reliability of Wikipedia is dismissed because in principle everybody can change the text of the Wikipedia entries, so that it is no longer coherent with the cited sources. It is also important what parts from the sources is used in Wikipedia. If you cite only the positive aspects while dropping the negative ones, the average Wikipedia user will get a biased impression on the topic respectively.
See that at 1:36:31 and 2:19:00, which is about the effect of mercury on neuron development. But that explicitely denies this influence. How can they be so sure? There are other vaccinations than MMR, and they obviously don't really find a reliable treatment for ASD. Maybe they willingly exclude the way to go to solve the problem?
My neurochemistry has fucked my impulse control, now I'm diagnosed OOD = oppositional opinion disorder, one of the most deadly diseases in totalitarian states, but can be cured in the free world.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » Tue 07 Jun 2016, 01:02

Spoiler:
Tanni wrote:
Khemehekis wrote:A lot of people dismiss out of hand the reliability of Wikipedia. But Wikipedia does run on reliable sources.
The reliability of Wikipedia is dismissed because in principle everybody can change the text of the Wikipedia entries, so that it is no longer coherent with the cited sources. It is also important what parts from the sources is used in Wikipedia. If you cite only the positive aspects while dropping the negative ones, the average Wikipedia user will get a biased impression on the topic respectively.
See that at 1:36:31 and 2:19:00, which is about the effect of mercury on neuron development. But that explicitely denies this influence. How can they be so sure? There are other vaccinations than MMR, and they obviously don't really find a reliable treatment for ASD. Maybe they willingly exclude the way to go to solve the problem?
This is torture for me, since I basically got caught calling "witch" at the nun. Please let it die.

Relevant xkcd :
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.
druneragarsh
greek
greek

Post by druneragarsh » Sun 10 Jul 2016, 10:40

Khemehekis wrote:"There is some evidence that children with AS may see a lessening of symptoms; up to 20% of children may no longer meet the diagnostic criteria as adults, although social and communication difficulties may persist.[8]"
AS is categorized as a developmental disability. I, for one, have gradually learned how to fake neurotypicality, so obviously my "symptoms" are lesser. Essentially, I've traded the "I have no clue why they reacted that way, WTF" lack of a model for a hastily-cobbled-together flowchart that I must pay attention to always. Social interactions tend to be exhausting. Likewise for other symptoms, we learn to deal. We learn to fake normalcy in a world that treats all deviation from the norm with suspicion and/or contempt.

FWIW, I got 39/50, and have a diagnosis of Asperger's.
drúne, rá gárš
drun-VOC I.ERG read

List of conlangs with links!
Refer to me with any sex-neutral (or feminine) 3s pronoun, either from English (no singular they please, zie etc are okay) or from one of your conlangs!
CWS
k1234567890y
runic
runic

Post by k1234567890y » Mon 25 Jul 2016, 14:56

I have an idea, that people who have been diagnosed autism spectrum disorder might tend to agree with more "autistic" traits than those who are autistic but not diagnosed, which may cause a bias.
私のアツい人工言語活動!言カツ!始まります!!