Why CBB?

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
User avatar
Bryan
rupestrian
rupestrian
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat 29 Oct 2011, 20:03
Location: England
Contact:

Why CBB?

Post by Bryan » Thu 22 Sep 2016, 13:18

I've always liked this board. But I'm curious: why was this board set up given that we have the Zompist board?
User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 3041
Joined: Sat 22 Nov 2014, 04:48

Re: Why CBB?

Post by elemtilas » Thu 22 Sep 2016, 14:19

Bryan wrote:I've always liked this board. But I'm curious: why was this board set up given that we have the Zompist board?
Mind you, I wasn't around when it was first formed, so don't know the history

Generally speaking, I'd chalk it up to viva la difference. Variety is the spice of life and all that. The same question is asked every time a new forum arises, and the answer is pretty much the same! Sometimes new forums come about because of ill will and disastrously irreconcilable differences. And the community is generally better off for it.

Me I find that ZBB is rather light on both language and culture invention, and rather heavier on chat, whereas CBB is rather active in both areas of interest. (Also, a lot of folks that post interesting conlang or conculture stuff there tend to post it (& more) here as well, so I don't much bother with over there.) Historically, ZBB has a reputation for needlessly bad behaviour by members. CBB not so much. Different culture, though I'd argue the atmosphere here tends to lend itself to more & better output. I find the proliferation of forums to be on the whole a good thing -- different focuses, different personalities, different modalities of communication.
Image

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
User avatar
Bryan
rupestrian
rupestrian
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat 29 Oct 2011, 20:03
Location: England
Contact:

Re: Why CBB?

Post by Bryan » Thu 22 Sep 2016, 14:33

The reason I say I've always liked the CBB is exactly what you say; people here are friendly, whereas on Zompist even admins/mods can be rude, trollish cocks. There is a perverse need to cause a ruck over on Zompist.
User avatar
Ælfwine
greek
greek
Posts: 712
Joined: Mon 21 Sep 2015, 00:28
Location: New Jersey

Re: Why CBB?

Post by Ælfwine » Thu 22 Sep 2016, 15:31

Because we are better, OFC.

/sarc
User avatar
k1234567890y
runic
runic
Posts: 2794
Joined: Sat 04 Jan 2014, 04:47
Contact:

Re: Why CBB?

Post by k1234567890y » Thu 22 Sep 2016, 15:45

you don't need a reason, just discuss conlangs, linguisitcs, worldbuilding with people here (:
私のアツい人工言語活動!言カツ!始まります!!
User avatar
Bryan
rupestrian
rupestrian
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat 29 Oct 2011, 20:03
Location: England
Contact:

Re: Why CBB?

Post by Bryan » Thu 22 Sep 2016, 15:55

k1234567890y wrote:you don't need a reason, just discuss conlangs, linguisitcs, worldbuilding with people here (:
But what I mean is, what inspired this board to be set up considering we were already on Zompist?
User avatar
k1234567890y
runic
runic
Posts: 2794
Joined: Sat 04 Jan 2014, 04:47
Contact:

Re: Why CBB?

Post by k1234567890y » Thu 22 Sep 2016, 16:02

Bryan wrote:
k1234567890y wrote:you don't need a reason, just discuss conlangs, linguisitcs, worldbuilding with people here (:
But what I mean is, what inspired this board to be set up considering we were already on Zompist?
I don't know, maybe they want to make people discuss things in a manner they think it's better.

It seems that this forum does not have much to do with a specific conworld, unlike Zompist.
私のアツい人工言語活動!言カツ!始まります!!
User avatar
Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4295
Joined: Tue 14 Aug 2012, 18:32

Re: Why CBB?

Post by Creyeditor » Thu 22 Sep 2016, 16:55

Bryan wrote:The reason I say I've always liked the CBB is exactly what you say; people here are friendly, whereas on Zompist even admins/mods can be rude, trollish cocks. There is a perverse need to cause a ruck over on Zompist.
On the other hand, you might get more detailed criticism on the ZBB, which may lead you to work harder (from what I've heard), wheras on the CBB everything's a bit Friede, Freude, Eierkuchen (all sunshine and cupcakes ?).
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 3041
Joined: Sat 22 Nov 2014, 04:48

Re: Why CBB?

Post by elemtilas » Thu 22 Sep 2016, 17:20

Creyeditor wrote:
Bryan wrote:The reason I say I've always liked the CBB is exactly what you say; people here are friendly, whereas on Zompist even admins/mods can be rude, trollish cocks. There is a perverse need to cause a ruck over on Zompist.
On the other hand, you might get more detailed criticism on the ZBB, which may lead you to work harder (from what I've heard), wheras on the CBB everything's a bit Friede, Freude, Eierkuchen (all sunshine and cupcakes ?).
Well, to be honest, one could always ask for specifically detailed criticism here (or anywhere else, for that matter).
Image

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
User avatar
alynnidalar
roman
roman
Posts: 1011
Joined: Sun 17 Aug 2014, 02:22
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Why CBB?

Post by alynnidalar » Thu 22 Sep 2016, 19:48

The ZBB, while not known for being cuddly and friendly to newcomers, has always seemed more technical than here... which is not to say that there aren't a lot of knowledgeable people here, just that the CBB also has a lot more participants like me, who have fairly limited linguistic knowledge (and don't mind making our limitations known). Eighty percent of the linguistic conversation on the ZBB still goes over my head (which is down from the ninety-nine percent when I first started browsing it!).

With the CBB, you can typically assume people are going to be warm and friendly unless you do something exceptionally egregious... at the ZBB, you just have to be prepared that people are not necessarily going to like or humor you, and they certainly aren't going to agree with you. It can get mean sometimes, but people aren't usually cruel for the sake of being cruel--they're just very blunt, and will tell you precisely what they think of you and what you have to say.
User avatar
k1234567890y
runic
runic
Posts: 2794
Joined: Sat 04 Jan 2014, 04:47
Contact:

Re: Why CBB?

Post by k1234567890y » Thu 22 Sep 2016, 20:31

alynnidalar wrote:The ZBB, while not known for being cuddly and friendly to newcomers, has always seemed more technical than here... which is not to say that there aren't a lot of knowledgeable people here, just that the CBB also has a lot more participants like me, who have fairly limited linguistic knowledge (and don't mind making our limitations known). Eighty percent of the linguistic conversation on the ZBB still goes over my head (which is down from the ninety-nine percent when I first started browsing it!).

With the CBB, you can typically assume people are going to be warm and friendly unless you do something exceptionally egregious... at the ZBB, you just have to be prepared that people are not necessarily going to like or humor you, and they certainly aren't going to agree with you. It can get mean sometimes, but people aren't usually cruel for the sake of being cruel--they're just very blunt, and will tell you precisely what they think of you and what you have to say.
maybe this has something to do with the fact that autistic people are overrepresented among conlangers?
私のアツい人工言語活動!言カツ!始まります!!
User avatar
Frislander
runic
runic
Posts: 2670
Joined: Sat 14 May 2016, 17:47
Location: The North

Re: Why CBB?

Post by Frislander » Thu 22 Sep 2016, 22:43

elemtilas wrote:Me I find that ZBB is rather light on both language and culture invention, and rather heavier on chat, whereas CBB is rather active in both areas of interest. (Also, a lot of folks that post interesting conlang or conculture stuff there tend to post it (& more) here as well, so I don't much bother with over there.) Historically, ZBB has a reputation for needlessly bad behaviour by members. CBB not so much. Different culture, though I'd argue the atmosphere here tends to lend itself to more & better output. I find the proliferation of forums to be on the whole a good thing -- different focuses, different personalities, different modalities of communication.
I'll mostly back this up, though I have a few impressions of my own. I would definitely agree that the ZBB is far more of a general board. However, I think the reason for this is that people there are generally more sure in their conlanging abilities, and ask fewer questions (also note how most of the people on both forums could be said to be of great experience); in other words it feels to me to be less 'noobish'. The members thus feel more able to talk about more wider subjects, e.g. politics. It is the place where I would go specifically for indepth answers, and for really indepth conworlding (such as my althist Algolang).

Overall the CBB is probably a better place for absolute to moderate beginners.
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sun 25 May 2014, 13:17

Re: Why CBB?

Post by Iyionaku » Fri 23 Sep 2016, 04:31

Frislander wrote: Overall the CBB is probably a better place for absolute to moderate beginners.
So would you say CBB is something like Conlang League Two, whereas ZBB is the Conlang Premier League?
I have never been on ZBB because the organization of the subfora always buffled me (especially that there was no separate translations section).
Heaven and Earth, but I feel the color of the cake when you keep the Victoria.
I had a mantra on the moss and I had to go to bed.


Oh, and there is a [ɕ] in my name!
User avatar
gestaltist
mayan
mayan
Posts: 1633
Joined: Wed 11 Feb 2015, 11:23

Re: Why CBB?

Post by gestaltist » Fri 23 Sep 2016, 09:06

I don't know the history but I know why I moved over from Zompist to here: because of Micamo. I am more of a conworlder than conlanger, and my conworlding threads didn't get much attention over on ZBB. And then I found this board, with all the wonderful short stories in Micaland, and I decided this was a better place for me to be.
User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 3041
Joined: Sat 22 Nov 2014, 04:48

Re: Why CBB?

Post by elemtilas » Fri 23 Sep 2016, 11:53

gestaltist wrote:I don't know the history but I know why I moved over from Zompist to here: because of Micamo. I am more of a conworlder than conlanger, and my conworlding threads didn't get much attention over on ZBB. And then I found this board, with all the wonderful short stories in Micaland, and I decided this was a better place for me to be.
I'd agree that there is a much stronger conworlding community here. It could be more active, but is far from dead! Certainly a good reason to be here!
Image

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
User avatar
gestaltist
mayan
mayan
Posts: 1633
Joined: Wed 11 Feb 2015, 11:23

Re: Why CBB?

Post by gestaltist » Fri 23 Sep 2016, 12:22

elemtilas wrote:
gestaltist wrote:I don't know the history but I know why I moved over from Zompist to here: because of Micamo. I am more of a conworlder than conlanger, and my conworlding threads didn't get much attention over on ZBB. And then I found this board, with all the wonderful short stories in Micaland, and I decided this was a better place for me to be.
I'd agree that there is a much stronger conworlding community here. It could be more active, but is far from dead! Certainly a good reason to be here!
I can assure you that my conworlding productivity goes strong. It isn't reflected in my posts here for various reasons, mainly because I'm consumed by the floating world and it's still in its infancy and a lot of stuff changes.
User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 3041
Joined: Sat 22 Nov 2014, 04:48

Re: Why CBB?

Post by elemtilas » Sat 24 Sep 2016, 02:28

gestaltist wrote:I can assure you that my conworlding productivity goes strong. It isn't reflected in my posts here for various reasons, mainly because I'm consumed by the floating world and it's still in its infancy and a lot of stuff changes.
Good! Cos I want to learn more about this world. And read stories about it!
Image

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
Curlyjimsam
sinic
sinic
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed 01 Sep 2010, 14:31
Location: UK

Re: Why CBB?

Post by Curlyjimsam » Sun 25 Sep 2016, 17:04

k1234567890y wrote:
alynnidalar wrote:The ZBB, while not known for being cuddly and friendly to newcomers, has always seemed more technical than here... which is not to say that there aren't a lot of knowledgeable people here, just that the CBB also has a lot more participants like me, who have fairly limited linguistic knowledge (and don't mind making our limitations known). Eighty percent of the linguistic conversation on the ZBB still goes over my head (which is down from the ninety-nine percent when I first started browsing it!).

With the CBB, you can typically assume people are going to be warm and friendly unless you do something exceptionally egregious... at the ZBB, you just have to be prepared that people are not necessarily going to like or humor you, and they certainly aren't going to agree with you. It can get mean sometimes, but people aren't usually cruel for the sake of being cruel--they're just very blunt, and will tell you precisely what they think of you and what you have to say.
maybe this has something to do with the fact that autistic people are overrepresented among conlangers?
That might be part of it, but it doesn't really explain why people on the CBB are generally nice whereas people on the ZBB often aren't - though in fairness to the latter, I think people might be a lot nicer there than they used to be.
Twitter: @jsbaker750
Website: seven-fifty.net
User avatar
k1234567890y
runic
runic
Posts: 2794
Joined: Sat 04 Jan 2014, 04:47
Contact:

Re: Why CBB?

Post by k1234567890y » Sun 25 Sep 2016, 20:45

Curlyjimsam wrote: That might be part of it, but it doesn't really explain why people on the CBB are generally nice whereas people on the ZBB often aren't - though in fairness to the latter, I think people might be a lot nicer there than they used to be.
ok (:

btw, maybe it has something to do with kind people like shimobaatar in CBB?
私のアツい人工言語活動!言カツ!始まります!!
User avatar
Axiem
sinic
sinic
Posts: 374
Joined: Sat 10 Sep 2016, 05:56

Re: Why CBB?

Post by Axiem » Sun 25 Sep 2016, 21:18

Admittedly, I'm relatively new to lurking both communities, but I haven't really seen a recognizable difference in niceness between here and ZBB.
Conworld: Mto
:con: : Kuvian
Post Reply