The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Axiem » Tue 15 Aug 2017, 16:29

Egerius wrote: (Just kidding, I have a credit card myself, but I don't like using it, having hardly ever done so.
I forget the PIN quite easily, ATMs may be manipulated... And on-line banking has its own risks.
Credit cards don't have PINs, though debit cards do. Credit cards are superior because they don't deduct the money immediately, giving you a chance to contest any charges before you actually pay for them. Assuming you stay vigilant and glance over your monthly statement, fraud isn't a thing to really worry about. And it's trivially easy to be issued a new card + card number + CVV2 in the even that a card is stolen. It feels far safer to me than carrying around physically precarious pieces of metal and paper that make me a target for crime.

The only reason to ever use an ATM is to get physical money; it's also something I don't think I've done this year.

I'm not sure what risks online banking would have above and beyond...actually, I have no idea what the alternative is. Always walking into a bank branch (assuming you can find one and can expend the time to go to it) and talking with a person? That just sounds horrific, and I have no idea how that'd work with a laptop. I'd much rather glance over my recent transactions in the comfort and privacy of my home, and have all the time I need to understand them and transfer the relevant numbers to my budget spreadsheet to make sure things still look good (or more properly, compare against my budget spreadsheet to make sure the household is relatively on-target). I can't imagine trying to actually manage a household budget any other way.
Conworld: Mto
:con: : Kuvian
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » Tue 15 Aug 2017, 17:10

The only problem with credit cards for me is that a number of my favorite food places are still "cash only". And I forget that, and then I realize I don't have any cash when I go there. Sometimes you'd think everyone's moved into the modern age and accepts cards, but not all do (and I know a business has to pay to accept them, so I get that they don't want to). But it's inconvenient for me! [>_<]

Also, using cash really makes you aware of how much money you're spending...so count that as a reason I don't carry cash much. :P
Don't live to conlang; conlang to live.

My conlang: Image Lihmelinyan
vampireshark
water
water

Post by vampireshark » Tue 15 Aug 2017, 23:21

Axiem wrote:Credit cards don't have PINs, though debit cards do.
In Luxembourg and France at least, credit cards do use a Chip and PIN system. Whenever I use my credit card (except online), I have to input the associated PIN. Without fail.

Though I honestly prefer using cash, especially when travelling. Lets me keep a better eye on how much I'm spending and hopefully reduces my exposure to sometimes volatile exchange rates. Was quite irritating when I was in Sweden where a lot of businesses refused to take cash!

On the other hand, I accept cash in all forms. And I like coins and banknotes, but I prefer when the lowest-valued note is something like the equivalent of €2-€5. Otherwise, I find the small notes are almost always in bad to horrible condition (see: South Korea and the 1000-won notes that my wallet was full of within the first week of being there! Or India and those &^%$#@ 10-rupee notes...). Also goes back to growing up in Germany where the lowest commonly-used note was the 10-mark note, which was about €5. (There were 5-mark notes, but those were seldom-encountered and preciously kept when they were encountered. I actually still have one at home!)
sangi39 wrote:Annoyingly I'm a bit of a pedant when it comes to "legal tender" in the UK since, with several banks in Scotland and Northern Ireland also having the right to print banknotes, the issue comes up a fair amount. The irritating result of this is that when anyone comes in with, say, a Bank of Scotland £5 note and claims it's "legal tender", I can't help but tell them it's not (I'll still accept it, since it's legal currency), but it also means that when someone comes in with, say, £1's worth of 1p coins, which isn't legal tender either (since pennies are only legal tender up to the value of 20p), I'll accept that as well because I can't reasonably turn round and say "sorry, we can't accept that because it isn't legal tender".
Also, legal tender has a very restricted concept in the UK, at least as far as I can tell. Legal tender there only matters in the case that a debt exists (which, if somebody's generally buying something from you, a debt doesn't exist), and all it says is that the person in question cannot be sued for nonpayment if payment is presented in legal tender. (And no change can be expected.) Apart from that, though, you're more than free to refuse anything, which probably explains why £50 notes are a bugger to spend there.
And I'll dance with you in Vienna,
I'll be wearing a river's disguise;
The hyacinth wild on my shoulder,
My mouth on the dew of your thigh...

Looking for subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » Wed 16 Aug 2017, 04:46

I'm a me what disappointed at how the Alabama Senate primaries went. I wanted the Democratic Roberr Kennedy Jr. to win, or at least force it to a run-off. I'm mildly surprised that Doug Jones won, but I guess polls only work so much.
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » Wed 16 Aug 2017, 11:25

vampireshark wrote:(There were 5-mark notes, but those were seldom-encountered and preciously kept when they were encountered. I actually still have one at home!)
I've seen one of those at the house of some distant relative.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » Wed 16 Aug 2017, 15:56

vampireshark wrote:
Axiem wrote:Credit cards don't have PINs, though debit cards do.
In Luxembourg and France at least, credit cards do use a Chip and PIN system. Whenever I use my credit card (except online), I have to input the associated PIN. Without fail.
PINs are starting to become more common for credit cards in the US as well, although it's still more common for people to have chip and signature rather than chip and PIN. (and my chip-and-PIN credit card didn't work in the UK when I was there last year--I still had to sign for it every time, despite specifically setting up a PIN ahead of time so I could use it! Must be a separate system)

At any rate, I actually strongly prefer debit cards because then you're spending your actual money; even if you regularly pay off your credit card(s), it's still something of an abstraction. As opposed to a debit card, which comes directly out of my checking account. Cash is a pain (for one, you have to keep going and getting it; I certainly don't get paid in cash, so I have to go to an ATM or get cashback at a store) and coins are heavy. It's so much faster and easier to stick a card in the reader.

Is it risky? Well, maybe, but you can have cash stolen as well (and a person carrying a lot of cash is going to be a bigger target, because it's easier to spend and harder to track), and it's easy enough to go online and report your card stolen if it ever happens. The internet! Is there anything it can't do?
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Wed 16 Aug 2017, 17:09

vampireshark wrote:
sangi39 wrote:Annoyingly I'm a bit of a pedant when it comes to "legal tender" in the UK since, with several banks in Scotland and Northern Ireland also having the right to print banknotes, the issue comes up a fair amount. The irritating result of this is that when anyone comes in with, say, a Bank of Scotland £5 note and claims it's "legal tender", I can't help but tell them it's not (I'll still accept it, since it's legal currency), but it also means that when someone comes in with, say, £1's worth of 1p coins, which isn't legal tender either (since pennies are only legal tender up to the value of 20p), I'll accept that as well because I can't reasonably turn round and say "sorry, we can't accept that because it isn't legal tender".
Also, legal tender has a very restricted concept in the UK, at least as far as I can tell. Legal tender there only matters in the case that a debt exists (which, if somebody's generally buying something from you, a debt doesn't exist), and all it says is that the person in question cannot be sued for nonpayment if payment is presented in legal tender. (And no change can be expected.) Apart from that, though, you're more than free to refuse anything, which probably explains why £50 notes are a bugger to spend there.
Pretty much, yeah. I Mentioned that in the later post, and "legal tender" only applies to BoE notes in England and Wales and then coins up to a certain value.

£50 notes are a bugger to spend for a similar reason to Scottish and Irish notes being a bugger to spend outside of Ireland and Scotland, i.e. they show up so infrequently that most people honestly wouldn't know what a real one vs. a fake one would look like and apparently it's one of the most widely forged notes in the UK alongside the £20 note.

It turns out that the company I currently work for does actually have a stated policy of not accepting £50 notes and as far as I can tell that's perfectly legal. Other places will double check them just in case, while others will only refuse them at certain times (the company I previously worked for left it up to the shop manager, and ours would refuse them around New Year's Eve when they seemed to suddenly spike in number).

Welcome to the UK, where we can refuse to accept your money, but we can ask you to pay in carrots if you'd like [:P]
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
gach
MVP
MVP

Post by gach » Wed 16 Aug 2017, 20:46

It's kind of insane how the attitude to large banknotes varies from country to country. Once I witnessed how someone paid for his lunch at our office cafeteria in Germany with a 100€ note and a 20 cent coin. The cashier didn't even raise his eyes, dutifully returned 95€ of change, and the whole transaction was swiftly over. Later, when travelling to Switzerland, I was kind of horrified when I drew 100 CHF of cash from an ATM for lunch money and the machine gave me a single 100 franc note. Luckily the lunch place where I broke it had no problem accepting it. It still convinced me, though, not to try my luck with any more cash during that trip.
Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Creyeditor » Wed 16 Aug 2017, 20:50

It also varies inside a country. I think I never even had a 100€ note in my pocket (except when I was taking care of other people's money), whereas some of my friends only use the ATM once a month (or something like that) and usually just get one large banknote.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :fra: 4 :esp: 4 :ind:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Wed 16 Aug 2017, 21:25

Oddly enough, the UK seems to be going in the opposite direction. Plans have been announced by the Bank of England regarding the introduction of polymer £10 and £20 banknotes (and the subsequent withdrawal of their paper counterparts), with all notes being of the new polymer variety by around 2020, with a single exception. As far as I know, the BoE has made no official plans to replace the £50, which has led some to speculate that it will be withdrawn completely from circulation rather than being replaced with a polymer counterpart.

Now all we have to do is get rid of coppers and we'll be down to 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1 and £2 coins and £5, £10 and £20 notes. If they'd change the size of the 5p that'd be grand [:P]
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » Thu 17 Aug 2017, 07:32

I'm back at school. I don't think it's even been a full three weeks since my Japanese class ended, but our Fall semester starts up on Monday.
kiwikami
mind
mind
Location: the first star to the right and straight on 'till mid-afternoon

Post by kiwikami » Thu 17 Aug 2017, 07:48

shimobaatar wrote:I'm back at school. I don't think it's even been a full three weeks since my Japanese class ended, but our Fall semester starts up on Monday.
Already? Always thought it was interesting how widely varied school start/end dates are worldwide, and even between states in the US, and between different systems... I didn't have summer breaks at all as a kid, got used to starting on Labor Day in college, but now everything's on the quarter system, "autumn" somehow begins in the last week in September, and nothing makes sense anymore. [:P]
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Thu 17 Aug 2017, 08:29

"autumn" somehow begins in the last week in September,
Gosh, I miss that about (undergrad) college.
Then, for Grad School, I learned to skip Spring Semester and take Summer 1 and Summer 2 semesters, which was a lot more relaxing, but ate up my summers. When my son was born, no more of that nonsense: summers had to be free and clear once more!

But, oh, now Summer Professional Development Dross & Mayhem nibbles away a week here, two weeks there, and this year we start immediately after Labor Day, instead of a week later... UY YUY YUY!

But, y'know what: Siempre sobreviviremos, and I am a true believer of this.

Neil Diamond – I'm a Believer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWQv0dkVzVU

Celia Cruz – Yo viviré
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRID6bN71dY

[;)]
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » Thu 17 Aug 2017, 17:05

I start school on the 24th (my senior year of high school), but I know a number of public schools in the region started this week. I miss being homeschooled [xP]
Don't live to conlang; conlang to live.

My conlang: Image Lihmelinyan
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander » Thu 17 Aug 2017, 17:16

A-Level results came out in the UK this morning; I've met my offer to go to Cambridge (Selwyn college), so I'll go down there for freshers week October 1st, though I'll have gone down in early Semptember as well for an autism induction thing.

But yeah, I'm pretty happy right now! :mrgreen:
Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Creyeditor » Thu 17 Aug 2017, 17:23

kiwikami wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:I'm back at school. I don't think it's even been a full three weeks since my Japanese class ended, but our Fall semester starts up on Monday.
Already? Always thought it was interesting how widely varied school start/end dates are worldwide, and even between states in the US, and between different systems... I didn't have summer breaks at all as a kid, got used to starting on Labor Day in college, but now everything's on the quarter system, "autumn" somehow begins in the last week in September, and nothing makes sense anymore. [:P]
In Germany many Bundesländer (federal states(?)) have different school starts for primary and secondary education on purpose, so that when families go on vacation there is less traffic jam on the Highways.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :fra: 4 :esp: 4 :ind:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » Thu 17 Aug 2017, 17:44

Creyeditor wrote:Bundesländer (federal states(?))
For whatever it's worth, I've always thought of/translated "Bundesländer" as just "states" in English.
Jackk
sinic
sinic

Post by Jackk » Thu 17 Aug 2017, 18:47

Frislander wrote:A-Level results came out in the UK this morning; I've met my offer to go to Cambridge (Selwyn college), so I'll go down there for freshers week October 1st, though I'll have gone down in early Semptember as well for an autism induction thing.

Congratulations! [:D]

Going into second year at Clare myself - I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time!

I study maths; what are you studying?
Eresse anga paris cur neduc, a san teonga.
The only thing more dangerous than doubt is certainty.
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander » Thu 17 Aug 2017, 18:59

Jackk wrote:
Frislander wrote:A-Level results came out in the UK this morning; I've met my offer to go to Cambridge (Selwyn college), so I'll go down there for freshers week October 1st, though I'll have gone down in early Semptember as well for an autism induction thing.

Why, linguistics! (I would say of course but clearly that's not a given).
Jackk
sinic
sinic

Post by Jackk » Thu 17 Aug 2017, 19:14

Frislander wrote:
Jackk wrote:

Why, linguistics! (I would say of course but clearly that's not a given).
[xD]

Yeah, I'm really into linguistics of course, but my obsession with mathematics is even more ridiculous! [:D]
Eresse anga paris cur neduc, a san teonga.
The only thing more dangerous than doubt is certainty.