The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Lambuzhao » Thu 24 Aug 2017, 01:50

@ Ahzy:

So, what jobs have you explored online?
Elemtilas gave some valuable advice: when you get back home, you need to hit the ground running.
I would sway away from volunteering only insofar as it does not render dollar one. I am looking at this from what you have recently said:
Mom is POed about shelling out extra cash for you in an investment that did not pay off.

Rather than argue and bicker and deal with brow-beating and cajoling, kick rocks and find some work.
The sooner you find a job, the less of the snare of "job out of finding a job" you'll struggle with.
For every pair of posts you post here (or one of the other fora you may belong to, Señor Technonut [B)] ), you need to have found even a marginally-acceptable part-time job from your local newspaper, on Monsterjobs or the other job-hunter sites. Perhaps even make that a goal for yourself.

I might stay away from craigslist, but then again, I'm old-fashioned, and, when I looked for part-time teaching/tutoring jobs to make some extra ching, I just would get dishaeartened (so much so I can no longer spell, apparently ) that nothing I was qualified for was being offered within decent driving distance. Still, the Quest, she must continue…

I realize that this may sound a little like putting the cart before the horse, but, as a parent, IMHO one of the surest ways to flip the cacophony of
aspersions of manipulation, laze, techno-addiction, olympic-calibre estivation is to show you are smart enough to switch gears and be productive in another capacity/other capacities.

And YOU ARE that smart & SMARTER!
[:)]
Buck up, Godspeed & Get sleuthing… but also Get Hired!

[;)]
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Thu 24 Aug 2017, 01:57

My grandma might help to put me into a job at Wendy's
Image Ӯсцӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Vṛḵažaẇ (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Thu 24 Aug 2017, 02:03

masako wrote:Some Moya calligraphy:

A stylized yama (“mountain”) in the traditional Moya.
Sí, Oui, Hai, Ja, Da!
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/27/3b/8e/273b ... ration.jpg

A stylized tanka (“hawk; eagle”) in the traditional Moya.
Clearly a bird-of-prey winging with a serpent in its beak

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... f-prey.jpg

http://img01.deviantart.net/88ad/i/2012 ... 59ipje.jpg

[+1]
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Thu 24 Aug 2017, 02:04

Ahzoh wrote:My grandma might help to put me into a job at Wendy's
W00T!
Let's hope Grammie comes thru!

But have a plan B in th'works… :wat:
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Thu 24 Aug 2017, 03:17

Lambuzhao wrote:
W00T!
[+1]
McDo.

A step down from Wendy's in my opinion, but you know, Plan B and all that.

And you get pretty decent benefits at these places. They all offer significantly reduced priced meals while you're on duty (and Wendy's does a pretty good burger, when all is said and done). You'd also most likely be eligible for 401k enrollment and health benefits at Wendy's.

McDonald's also has some pretty good educational benefits that might be attractive to you.

And you know, there's always Plan C: join the Canadian Armed Forces! (You just never know when we might decide to rehash 1812!! [}:D] [}:D] ) Again, good benefits and education opportunities.

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
DesEsseintes
cleardarkness
cleardarkness

Post by DesEsseintes » Thu 24 Aug 2017, 06:44

elemtilas wrote:And you know, there's always Plan C: join the Canadian Armed Forces! (You just never know when we might decide to rehash 1812!! [}:D] [}:D] ) Again, good benefits and education opportunities.
I sometimes kind-of-but-not-really regret not going into the army. Hot guys in uniform at Sandhurst and all that. [;)] Would've been a good opportunity to pick up a few languages along the way.
masako
shadowlight
shadowlight

Post by masako » Thu 24 Aug 2017, 14:47

Lambuzhao wrote:
masako wrote:Image

I'd actually thought of the curve at the bottom more as caudal feathers.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Thu 24 Aug 2017, 15:05

masako wrote:
Lambuzhao wrote:
masako wrote:Image

I'd actually thought of the curve at the bottom more as caudal feathers.
The "7" to the right is the serpent valiantly fighting its last.
The "c" at the bottom could surely be a caudal fan, or else some super-long caudal flourish.
Really, the power of the bird-of-prey is clearly visible, as well as the quintessential "preying" act in medias res.
…IMHO. :roll:
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Thu 24 Aug 2017, 15:20

elemtilas wrote:
Lambuzhao wrote:
W00T!
[+1]
McDo.

A step down from Wendy's in my opinion, but you know, Plan B and all that.

And you get pretty decent benefits at these places. They all offer significantly reduced priced meals while you're on duty (and Wendy's does a pretty good burger, when all is said and done). You'd also most likely be eligible for 401k enrollment and health benefits at Wendy's.

McDonald's also has some pretty good educational benefits that might be attractive to you.

And you know, there's always Plan C: join the Canadian Armed Forces! (You just never know when we might decide to rehash 1812!! [}:D] [}:D] ) Again, good benefits and education opportunities.
Forgot to mention that job #3 or #4 was working at a Wendy's. My experiences were:
Wendy's hamburgers were superior to the Mac. Sorry, Mickey D. [:S]
At that time, they had something called a "Super Salad Bar", in which beach-bums of all sprts could pile-drive all sorts of healthy greens etc down their pie-holes for only $1.99. The $3.99 option opened up the 'hot-side': pastas, rice, tacos, tortillas. I used to gorge myself like Yammut the Devourer for 'dunch' around 4:00 pm.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... it.svg.png

I impressed the main manager enough that within 2 months, I was able to work late-night window register, though I prefered grill.
I learned to despise the fribble frosty. The achromatopsia~ageusia of frozen fast-food desserts. [D;] Glad that they've made changes to it.
It was down the Shore (SE NJ), and I saw a lot of ocean-going long-lost friends and family I absolutely would never have seen any other way.
Ha ha ha : Wendy's as pre-proto-facebook (!)

I worked in NJ b/c I had had a massive falling out with my dad that lasted about 4 years (at least). This job represented a big step into independence for me.
And he actually came to visit me a couple times, which represented the first ray of light after a rain that lasted 'forty days and forty nights'.

I will always get a positive vibe from those goofy square burgers, and their goofy square inventor.
[;)]
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » Thu 24 Aug 2017, 15:53

@Ahzoh:
Spoiler:
For context, I'm depressed. I also have anxiety, problems with motivation, and a whole bunch of other issues. I'm currently in my second year of college, but there were times when I thought I could never get here. I was absent for the majority of my 10th and 11th grade years of high school for medical reasons. I spent those two years in bed at home on the internet wondering whether or not it was worth it to keep on living. I obviously haven't been in your exact situation, but I think I can relate to some degree.

I'm not going to offer you much advice, because obviously none of us know the full extent of your current situation. However, I would advise you to make your own happiness and peace of mind your top priority. If you need or want to get a job, of course, go ahead. Just please don't overwork yourself. Do your best to stay as happy and healthy as you can be, even though I know that that's not easy. Your life is yours. I'd also advise you to stay far, far away from the military, but that's just a personal bias.

As much as I want to rant about what your mother's said to you, and how angry it makes me, I know that my personal views on family are very unconventional, and I don't know what your relationship with your mother is like. I really don't want to offend you, but I can't resist saying something, so I'll try to keep this as short as possible. You are not a failure. I don't believe in "failures", but even if you do, you still have decades of your life ahead of you. It's way too early to say something like that. Not getting into college on your first try isn't indicative of anything. You'll have many more opportunities. I know it won't be easy, but I believe that you can get where you want to go. It might seem impossible now, but you do have the ability to get there. I know your mother's opinion is likely more meaningful than that of some stranger on the internet, but please, please don't let yourself believe that you've missed your only shot.

Best of luck.
ixals
sinic
sinic

Post by ixals » Thu 24 Aug 2017, 17:13

Ahzoh wrote:To my mum it is the end of the world, because now she has to tell people that I failed to get into university and that will make her look like a bad parent.
I honestly don't get that. Why does she think that people will think she is a bad parent because of you not getting into university? And if anything, her telling you that you are a failure for not getting in definitely makes her look like a bad parent waaaay more than that. At least in my eyes. :wat:
Native: :deu:
Learning: :gbr:, :fra:, :por:, :tur:

Цiски a Central Slavic conlang
Noattȯč a future German conlang [on hold]
Tungōnis Vīdīnōs Proto-Germanic goes Romance [on hold]
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Thu 24 Aug 2017, 19:56

No, I will never join the military. Not only do I not want to die but I don't want to be a part of Canadian/NATO imperialism.
Lambuzhao wrote:Forgot to mention that job #3 or #4 was working at a Wendy's. My experiences were:
Wendy's hamburgers were superior to the Mac. Sorry, Mickey D. [:S]
At that time, they had something called a "Super Salad Bar", in which beach-bums of all sprts could pile-drive all sorts of healthy greens etc down their pie-holes for only $1.99. The $3.99 option opened up the 'hot-side': pastas, rice, tacos, tortillas. I used to gorge myself like Yammut the Devourer for 'dunch' around 4:00 pm.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... it.svg.png

I impressed the main manager enough that within 2 months, I was able to work late-night window register, though I prefered grill.
I learned to despise the fribble frosty. The achromatopsia~ageusia of frozen fast-food desserts. [D;] Glad that they've made changes to it.
It was down the Shore (SE NJ), and I saw a lot of ocean-going long-lost friends and family I absolutely would never have seen any other way.
Ha ha ha : Wendy's as pre-proto-facebook (!)

I worked in NJ b/c I had had a massive falling out with my dad that lasted about 4 years (at least). This job represented a big step into independence for me.
And he actually came to visit me a couple times, which represented the first ray of light after a rain that lasted 'forty days and forty nights'.

I will always get a positive vibe from those goofy square burgers, and their goofy square inventor.
[;)]
I'm concerned that I won't do things fast enough or remember change amounts efficiently. The latter which I've always had problems with.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Fri 25 Aug 2017, 04:33

Dude,
To hijack half a turn of phrase:
"From each, according to their ability"

Ha! Marx's grave-spinning never felt so cool and fresh.
[>:D]
[;)]
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Fri 25 Aug 2017, 05:44

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Hurricane Harvey is going to soon reach here in Houston. I've got like 13 gallons of water all bottled up. Will be going to DFW for the weekend and tomorrow, but I'm worried about my cat. The way the house is is that the garage is the first floor.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Fri 25 Aug 2017, 06:20

Is the garage partially sub-terranean/ half underground? I.e. is earth/lawn ramparted on one or more sides?

Put the kitteh in the garage w/ litterbox , water dish & food dish.
Problem solved.
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Fri 25 Aug 2017, 06:46

It's above ground, and hurricanes flood so lower floors are the worst.
Cat likes to be near the windows. Got blinds on them, if any good that will do
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » Fri 25 Aug 2017, 14:59

ixals wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:To my mum it is the end of the world, because now she has to tell people that I failed to get into university and that will make her look like a bad parent.
I honestly don't get that.
Me neither. I didn't get into university right after my Abitur (because my grades were slightly suboptimal and because I missed a deadline I didn't know about), but I got there a year later, and I'm rather successful at the moment, even though it's taking me a bit longer to finish my Bachelor's degree.

Wait a year, you'll get there. In the meantime, you can either look for a job or learn something at your local community college (as I did – if there is one).
Ahzoh wrote:No, I will never join the military. Not only do I not want to die but I don't want to be a part of Canadian/NATO imperialism.
I'm so selfish and just wouldn't join the military in order to avoid dying (and killing).
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Fri 25 Aug 2017, 18:33

I have no idea who to ask, so I'm posting this here.

I know that, when washing a load of clothes* in an (vertical) automatic washing machine, one should put the smaller clothes in first (on the bottom) and put the larger clothes in last.

(
Spoiler:
For instance, if washing a quilt in the same load with your socks; follow this advice:
1. Don't do it! A quilt and a sock are too different in size to wash together in the same load.
2. But if you do it, be sure to put the socks in before the quilt.
Otherwise, you'll have to call a repairman, and your sock will end up costing $200 more than you originally paid for it.
OTOH the repairman will, at no extra charge, kindly and politely give the lecture contained in this spoiler!
)

But:
Are we comparing by weight (mass)?
Or by volume?
Or by area?

Usually there's no conflict; whichever of two items in the same load* is larger by one of those measures, is not smaller by either of the other two.
Or to put it differently, usually whatever's smaller by one of those measurements is not larger by either of the other measurements.

But sometimes there will be a conflict; the heavier item will be less voluminous than some lighter item, or will cover less area than some lighter item; or the more voluminous item will cover less area than some less bulky item.
What should one do then?

*After sorting whites and near-whites from colors, washing first-time-ever-washed items all by themselves in a one-item load, separating bright colors from dark colors, separating color-fast items from "bleeding" items, separating bleachable stuff from don't-ever-bleach stuff, separating cold-water-only stuff from warm-OK-but-hot-not-OK from OK-to-use-hot-water stuff, separating permanent press from not-permanent-press, ... and ... anything else I've forgotten?
alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » Fri 25 Aug 2017, 21:09

I've never heard that advice before, and I've never had a problem... but I guess I generally wash bulky stuff on its own, because otherwise I worry it won't have enough room to move around and wash properly.

Honestly, I don't even divide stuff up by color; I wash my sheets, towels, underwear, and socks in hot water, and everything else in cold. That's it! I've never had a problem with bleeding. (new jeans and new towels get washed separately a couple of times, but everything else doesn't seem to be a problem)

I'm slightly more careful about drying stuff. Nice things (work clothes, mostly) get air-dried, everything else goes in the dryer.
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Fri 25 Aug 2017, 22:36

Hurricane Harvey's gonna dissipate in Houston but not after causing some damage with the 110 mph winds. I see everyone getting supplies too. Filled my bathtub up with water for the toilet for after the hurricane.