The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Frislander
runic
runic

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Frislander » Sun 15 Jul 2018, 20:20

Salmoneus wrote:
Sat 14 Jul 2018, 23:58
Frislander wrote:
Sat 14 Jul 2018, 16:17

Well "from" is a bit strong, it was basically just my dad was a vicar in Penrith for 7 years during the earlier part of my childhood, it's not like I have strong family roots their outside of one of my dad's aunts and their children
That's "really strong family roots" in my book! [I think everyone in the last three generations on both sides of my family has moved from one place to another, so having more than one relative in any one region is an eerily tribal, blood-and-soil notion to me...]
Yeah but consider that the rest of my dad's family is entirely County Durham, and this aunt only went to Cumbria caus she married an airman with an old family house there.
, though tbf I definitely miss the scenery.
It's beautiful, yes. Though this year was the first time i've ever been there in the summer - weird to see everything so green! And non-wet!
Actually imho I think Cumbria almost looks at its best when it's wet and misty, the stone deepened in colour from the water on it.
Ànradh
mayan
mayan

Post by Ànradh » Sun 15 Jul 2018, 20:51

Xonen wrote:
Sat 14 Jul 2018, 23:51
Well, from what I can gather, that seems to depend on the species a bit - and possibly also on your definition of "predatory", does an animal that kills others to feed them to its young count?
Fair point actually, I suppose they would still qualify.
Xonen wrote:
Sat 14 Jul 2018, 23:51
And in any case, they'll still pretty much sting you for looking at them funny, even if the risk of getting actually eaten by a wasp is relatively low.
That's... less encouraging than as it might first be read. :P
Lambuzhao wrote:
Sat 14 Jul 2018, 23:59
Now whether it's by pollination, or some kind of weird Xenomorphic, flower-ovum traumatization, I cannot recall.
XD
Lam, have I ever mentioned that I adore your vocabulary choices?
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.
Xonen

Post by Xonen » Sun 15 Jul 2018, 22:10

Lambuzhao wrote:
Ànradh wrote:
Sat 14 Jul 2018, 13:01
Xonen wrote:
Sat 14 Jul 2018, 10:12
No, bees pollinate flowers. Yellowjackets (and other wasps) mostly just murder things.
I learned recently that wasps actually do pollinate, just not very effectively; they themselves eat nectar in their adult morph, but their grubs are insectivorous (which is why I used to think wasps were predatory).
If I remember correctly, one or two species of wasp help create figs. Now whether it's by pollination, or some kind of weird Xenomorphic, flower-ovum traumatization, I cannot recall.

Also, I recall that quite a few sleek black wasps, and skinny red & yellow (not yellow jackets) wasps would worry the mint flowers in our garden.
They both gave searing, bell-ringing stings if you were careless.

Furthermore, bees descend from wasps, actually. :wat:
So… … bees are wasps, in a similar vein how birds are therapod dinosaurs.…
Well, I'm more into etymology than vicious stinging insects myself, but at least (again) Wikipedia states that wasp is simply a generic term for "any insect of the order Hymenoptera and suborder Apocrita that is neither a bee nor an ant". So I suppose it would make some sense to call all insects of order Hymenoptera and suborder Apocrita wasps with bees and ants as subgroups thereof, but whether or not anyone does this I don't know. Certainly most normal people wouldn't call an ant a wasp - but then, most normal people wouldn't call a chicken a dinosaur, either, so what do they know?

As for figs, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fig_wasp. Apparently, it involves both pollination and the larval stage living inside the host like a Xenomorph. The more you know.
Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » Mon 16 Jul 2018, 04:20

Lambuzhao wrote:
Tue 03 Jul 2018, 14:04
Khemehekis wrote:
Mon 25 Jun 2018, 01:24
I checked, and I do have "Cape gooseberry" (or "poha", as it's called in my neck of the woods) in Kankonian: yadzaliy. However, my Kankonian dictionary gives the scientific name as Physalis peruviana, not P. pruinosa.
Uff. Quite.

I asked some horticultural friends, and they tsked me on that one. 'Cape Gooseberry' or 'Golden Berry' is too frou-frou for our humble
Ground Cherry, or , if you prefer, :us-pa: :deu: Yuddekesche. [;)]

Still mighty tasteable, though. [:P]
Not familiar with the name "ground cherry". I love my poha jam, though.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 57,500 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » Mon 16 Jul 2018, 04:25

Reyzadren wrote:
Wed 04 Jul 2018, 22:57
I didn't know any Jew until I went to university too, but I don't think that's of any importance to me and I don't care much about it because I basically fit in to pretty much any group anyway.
Wow!

I grew up in Orinda and Moraga, both in Contra Costa County, CA, and there were plenty of other Jewish families here. The biggest ethnic group in Moraga was Germans, but we also had Irish, Italians, Dutch, Scandinavians, French, Poles, Serbians, Latvians and Lithuanians, Arabs, Lebanese, Persians, Spaniards, Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese, Koreans, Vietnamese, Thais, and Hawaiians, plus a few Tongans. Not many African-Americans though, and way fewer Hispanics than found in California as a whole. Moraga had one of the few Serbian Orthodox churches in America, a well as a church for Indonesian Christianity.

There were also a lot of immigrants from England and other Anglophone nations (Canada, Australia, South Africa, etc.) My next-door neigjbors growing up were a British woman and her Australian husband.
♂♥♂♀

alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » Mon 16 Jul 2018, 21:40

Salmoneus wrote:
Sat 14 Jul 2018, 13:44
But I find it equally weird, and frankly rather naive, for people to reply with 'oh, they're everywhere, you don't have to come to the US!' - sure, there must be some native americans in London, but we'd be talking a number you could count on your hands (well no, but not far off it). The NA population even of the US is very small, it's a population that's disproportionately tied to its traditional areas by poverty and prejudice, and outside of the American enclaves in London I'd suggest it would be really, really hard to find any in other western countries. [well, Canada, obviously, but...]
I don't know that anyone was suggesting that Fris would casually stumble across someone of Native American ancestry (who knows they have Native American ancestry) on a British streetcorner, more that if he really had his heart set on meeting someone of Native American ancestry, he could likely ask around and dig someone up in the UK eventually, and thus would not actually have to come to the despised US to meet one. Naturally it would be quite weird to start asking American expats if they or anyone they know in the UK is Native American, but that's sort of a given in this situation.

Also huge numbers of Hispanic and Brazilian people have some Native American ancestry, so there's always that. (although I'm aware that by "Native American" Frislander likely meant "American/Canadian person of Native American ancestry")
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Tue 17 Jul 2018, 01:02

Ànradh wrote:
Sun 15 Jul 2018, 20:51
Lambuzhao wrote:
Now whether it's by pollination, or some kind of weird Xenomorphic, flower-ovum traumatization, I cannot recall.
XD
Lam, have I ever mentioned that I adore your vocabulary choices?
Thænx!
[:3]
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Tue 17 Jul 2018, 01:03

Khemehekis wrote:
Mon 16 Jul 2018, 04:20
Lambuzhao wrote:
Tue 03 Jul 2018, 14:04
Khemehekis wrote:
Mon 25 Jun 2018, 01:24
I checked, and I do have "Cape gooseberry" (or "poha", as it's called in my neck of the woods) in Kankonian: yadzaliy. However, my Kankonian dictionary gives the scientific name as Physalis peruviana, not P. pruinosa.
Uff. Quite.

I asked some horticultural friends, and they tsked me on that one. 'Cape Gooseberry' or 'Golden Berry' is too frou-frou for our humble
Ground Cherry, or , if you prefer, :us-pa: :deu: Yuddekesche. [;)]

Still mighty tasteable, though. [:P]
Not familiar with the name "ground cherry". I love my poha jam, though.
Props to the Poha!
[:P]

Ya gotta love a fruit that tastes like cinnamon-apple pie with a zing of zesty (lemon? granny smith/crab-apple? Pineapple? I can't place it exactly).
It's like Willy Wonka created it from the tears of the Oompa-Loompas.
[:P] [:P] [:P] [:P]
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Tue 17 Jul 2018, 01:07

Xonen wrote:
Sun 15 Jul 2018, 22:10
Lambuzhao wrote:
Ànradh wrote:
Sat 14 Jul 2018, 13:01
Xonen wrote:
Sat 14 Jul 2018, 10:12
No, bees pollinate flowers. Yellowjackets (and other wasps) mostly just murder things.
I learned recently that wasps actually do pollinate, just not very effectively; they themselves eat nectar in their adult morph, but their grubs are insectivorous (which is why I used to think wasps were predatory).
If I remember correctly, one or two species of wasp help create figs. Now whether it's by pollination, or some kind of weird Xenomorphic, flower-ovum traumatization, I cannot recall.

Also, I recall that quite a few sleek black wasps, and skinny red & yellow (not yellow jackets) wasps would worry the mint flowers in our garden.
They both gave searing, bell-ringing stings if you were careless.

Furthermore, bees descend from wasps, actually. :wat:
So… … bees are wasps, in a similar vein how birds are therapod dinosaurs.…
Well, I'm more into etymology than vicious stinging insects myself, but at least (again) Wikipedia states that wasp is simply a generic term for "any insect of the order Hymenoptera and suborder Apocrita that is neither a bee nor an ant". So I suppose it would make some sense to call all insects of order Hymenoptera and suborder Apocrita wasps with bees and ants as subgroups thereof, but whether or not anyone does this I don't know. Certainly most normal people wouldn't call an ant a wasp - but then, most normal people wouldn't call a chicken a dinosaur, either, so what do they know?

As for figs, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fig_wasp. Apparently, it involves both pollination and the larval stage living inside the host like a Xenomorph. The more you know.
Damn wæpsps! They foodle the humble fig coming and going! [:x] [:$]
Xonen

Post by Xonen » Thu 19 Jul 2018, 18:18

So today, I was thinking about how I need to vacuum my apartment, so naturally, I ended up googling Roombas. Then, about two minutes after I'd finally gotten off my ass to do the damn vacuuming the old-fashioned way, my vacuum cleaner suddenly up and died on me. So... did Google's Skynet algorithm just realize I'm a potential robot buyer/victim and start somehow remotely killing my appliances to speed up the process? [D;] Also, which model of Roomba do I have the best chances of defending myself against in the inevitable event of it attempting to murder me in my sleep?
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem » Thu 19 Jul 2018, 21:38

A roomba is a good way to keep the public parts of the floor relatively clean on a daily/couple-of-daysly basis. However, from my experience, it's not a good replacement for having an actual vacuum cleaner on hand. Even when I owned a roomba, I'd still want to vacuum for real every month or two, and always ended up getting a bunch of stuff the regular roomba attempts didn't.

Also, roombas work best in rooms that have lots of open space and not much in the way of furniture that creates strange vacuuming patterns.

Though it's also been something like a decade since I owned a roomba, so apply plenty of salt.
Conworld: Mto
:con: : Kuvian
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » Thu 19 Jul 2018, 22:20

Family Guy taught me all I needed to know about Roombas:

Family Guy - Roomba

[xD]
Don't live to conlang; conlang to live.

My conlang: Image Lihmelinyan
Xonen

Post by Xonen » Fri 20 Jul 2018, 15:28

I've actually owned a Roomba previously, so I have some idea of how they work (and how they don't). I just felt the need to share my twilight zone experience with someone. In any case, I might actually end up buying a different manufacturer's robot, solely because Roomba's descriptions in webstores seem like a poorly translated script of an American infomercial. Apparently, the most amazing feature of the brushes is that they can almost reach the far ends of the corners of my room... Which, I'll admit, is kind of amazing, in that they're actually advertising its fairly poor reach as an amazing feature. Then again, a Samsung might simply explode, so it's sort of a toss-up.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » Fri 20 Jul 2018, 20:56

Apparently Turkey invaded Iraq last month. I never heard about it in the least bit in the news.
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Sat 21 Jul 2018, 20:06

Has anyone else noticed that “dungeon” is related to neither “dun geon” nor “dung eon”?
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Sun 22 Jul 2018, 01:51

Can't say that I have...

Especially since I didn't know that "dun" or "geon" were words.
Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » Sun 22 Jul 2018, 02:33

Dun, in English at least, is a dull greyish-tan color. Don't know what "geon" means -- is it a word in Korean or something?
Props to the Poha!
[:P]

Ya gotta love a fruit that tastes like cinnamon-apple pie with a zing of zesty (lemon? granny smith/crab-apple? Pineapple? I can't place it exactly).
It's like Willy Wonka created it from the tears of the Oompa-Loompas.
[:P] [:P] [:P] [:P]
Yes! Lemon, perhaps, from that citric acid in poha jam.

Or cranberry.
♂♥♂♀

eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Sun 22 Jul 2018, 05:14

Thrice Xandvii wrote:
Sun 22 Jul 2018, 01:51
Can't say that I have...

Especially since I didn't know that "dun" or "geon" were words.
You can look up “dun”. It’s both a color (as Khem points out) and a verb.
Past-due notices used to be written on dun-colored paper —— or so I have read; it might not be true.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geon says there are at least three English non-proper-name meanings for “Geon”.
I just gambled that it was an English word; it looks like it should be.
(And yes, Khem, it is also a proper name in Korean, apparently.)

Not so sure “dunge on” is well-formed. “Dunge” is a word in Nynorsk*, but probably not in English.

*or would be if I had spelled it correctly, with the diacritic-looking parts of the letters
Last edited by eldin raigmore on Tue 24 Jul 2018, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Milk & the FDA

Post by eldin raigmore » Sun 22 Jul 2018, 16:42

The U.S. Food & Drug Administration recently announced that no food or drug or other product over which the FDA has authority can be legally sold while labeled as “milk” unless it were “the lacteal secretions of a bovine mammal”.
This gives me pause.
I checked, and it turns out buffalo and yaks are bovine.
But goats and sheep and reindeer are not!
Goat milk and sheep milk are important (to some people) parts of the U.S. dairy industry.
In some states or other countries I would think that elk/caribou/wapiti/moose milk, like yak milk elsewhere, would also be important dairy products.
Then there’s human breast milk.
All are the lacteal secretions of non-bovine mammals.
Will they all have to be re-labeled in order to be sold legally in the U.S.?

Then there’s the drug, milk of magnesia. Not only is it not derived from any mammal, nor any other class or phylum of animal: It’s not derived from any plant, or any other taxonomic kingdom or domain of life.
Will it have to be re-labeled?

What about the cosmetic “cold cream”?
Clio
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Clio » Sun 22 Jul 2018, 19:46

eldin raigmore wrote:
Sun 22 Jul 2018, 16:42
Will they all have to be re-labeled in order to be sold legally in the U.S.?
Given the precedents for food names in the USA, I look forward to seeing "goat mylc" or "goat milk-product" on grocery store shelves soon!
Niûro nCora
Getic: longum Getico murmur in ore fuit