The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Ànradh
mayan
mayan

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Ànradh » Sun 19 Aug 2018, 00:30

n̪ɛ̝.gːɔ̝.ɫ̪ɐ.ˈɛ̝.ɾɐg
"My male barbarian."
Stem: ˈkɔ̝.ɫ̪ɐ

n̪ɛ̝.kːɐ.ˈɾɪə.ɾɐg
"My male god."
Stem: ˈkɛ̝.ɾɐ

Now, the irregularities creeping into the case suffixes, I expected (I even helped them along a bit), but the undirected emergence of a 'class system' of sorts in my nouns... not so much.
I now have some noun stems that voice their erstwhile initial onset once prefixed, and others that don't, and which noun belongs to what class is entirely opaque from a synchronic perspective.
A rather simple thing, and one that I probably should've predicted arising with hindsight, but I'm finding it really quite cool how my little experiment sort of grew its own head when I wasn't looking.
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.
Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » Sun 19 Aug 2018, 01:40

Ànradh wrote:
Sun 19 Aug 2018, 00:30
n̪ɛ̝.gːɔ̝.ɫ̪ɐ.ˈɛ̝.ɾɐg
"My male barbarian."
Stem: ˈkɔ̝.ɫ̪ɐ

n̪ɛ̝.kːɐ.ˈɾɪə.ɾɐg
"My male god."
Stem: ˈkɛ̝.ɾɐ

Now, the irregularities creeping into the case suffixes, I expected (I even helped them along a bit), but the undirected emergence of a 'class system' of sorts in my nouns... not so much.
I now have some noun stems that voice their erstwhile initial onset once prefixed, and others that don't, and which noun belongs to what class is entirely opaque from a synchronic perspective.
A rather simple thing, and one that I probably should've predicted arising with hindsight, but I'm finding it really quite cool how my little experiment sort of grew its own head when I wasn't looking.
Reminds me of this thread.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 57,500 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » Sun 19 Aug 2018, 17:00

alynnidalar wrote:
Fri 17 Aug 2018, 14:29
EDIT: in happier news, I'm stupidly excited for NaNoWriMo even though it's over two months away. I have the inkling of an idea (new conworld this time--the past four years was all set in my dalar conworld that I post about here) and I can't wait! NaNo's one of my favorite times of the year. This'll be Year 11 for me.
Wow, congratulations on eleven years!

Maybe this will be the year I actually try to participate myself. [:P]

Regarding latitude, I can't believe I've never looked this up before. Apparently I'm close to 40N when I'm at home, but around 39.2N when I'm at school.
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » Sun 19 Aug 2018, 17:01

Khemehekis wrote:
Sun 19 Aug 2018, 01:40
The last post in that thread is more than 6 years old. Your memory is outstanding.
Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » Mon 20 Aug 2018, 00:49

shimobaatar wrote:
Sun 19 Aug 2018, 17:01
Khemehekis wrote:
Sun 19 Aug 2018, 01:40
The last post in that thread is more than 6 years old. Your memory is outstanding.
Thanks! Although that thread was my own, so it's not really that surprising that I remembered about it.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 57,500 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo » Tue 21 Aug 2018, 04:05

please delete this account and all of my posts and topics I don't want to be here anymore and I don't want the temptation to come back

goodbye
My pronouns are <xie> [ʒiː] / <xer> [ʒɚ]

My shitty twitter
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Tue 21 Aug 2018, 05:29

What does this mean?
عندما أتحدث إلى الله ، وانا اعلم انه يفهم ؛
يقول ، "عصا بواسطتي ، وانا ساكون يدك التوجيهية."
وأضاف "لكن لا تسالني ما اعتقد من أنت ،"
"انا قد لا تعطي الجواب الذي تريد مني!"
Davush
greek
greek

Post by Davush » Tue 21 Aug 2018, 09:49

eldin raigmore wrote:
Tue 21 Aug 2018, 05:29
What does this mean?
عندما أتحدث إلى الله ، وانا اعلم انه يفهم ؛
يقول ، "عصا بواسطتي ، وانا ساكون يدك التوجيهية."
وأضاف "لكن لا تسالني ما اعتقد من أنت ،"
"انا قد لا تعطي الجواب الذي تريد مني!"
When I speak to God, and I know that he understands,
He says: Stick by me, and I will be your guiding hand,
And he added: But don't ask me who I think you are
I might not give the answer that you want from me.

/ʕindamaa ʔataħaddaθu ilaa llaah, wa ʔana aʕlamu annahu yafham/
/yaquulu: ʕasˤaa biwaasatˤati, wa ʔana saʔakuun yadaka t-tawdʒiihijja/
/wa ʔadˤaafa: laakinna laa tasʔalni maa ʔaʕtaqidu man anta/
/ana qad laa ʔaʕtˤii l-dʒawaaba llaði turiidu minni/

The final line contains an error though, it should be:
انا قد لا اعطي

For some reason in the version you posted the verb to give is in the 2nd person, but the pronoun is 1st person. It also sounds a little bit "translation-ese".
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Tue 21 Aug 2018, 11:17

Micamo wrote:
Tue 21 Aug 2018, 04:05
please delete this account and all of my posts and topics I don't want to be here anymore and I don't want the temptation to come back

goodbye
[:'(] [:'(] [:'(]

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Tue 21 Aug 2018, 14:09

@ Micamo & @elemtilas —— [:'(] [+1]

@Davush — I suspect it is indeed translationese. Oh, well.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » Tue 21 Aug 2018, 20:08

[deleted]
Last edited by qwed117 on Wed 22 Aug 2018, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem » Tue 21 Aug 2018, 20:59

qwed117 wrote:
Tue 21 Aug 2018, 20:08
Don't delete xer account. It's a validation of xer anger. Axiem accidentally ticked xer off on the discord channel by saying that he gets frustrated when xie vents.
What I was trying to say—albeit poorly—was that it's frustrating that all I can offer to help is some words of advice. It was poorly phrased and probably interpreted the way that qwed indicates, leading to the ragequit. I do regret my choice of phrasing, and see how it could be interpreted that way. I'm not sure how to mend things, and if I knew, I would do so.

(Also, uh, qwed, what makes you think I'm a guy?)
Conworld: Mto
:con: : Kuvian
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Tue 21 Aug 2018, 21:03

qwed117 wrote:
Tue 21 Aug 2018, 20:08
Micamo wrote:
Tue 21 Aug 2018, 04:05

goodbye
Don't delete xer account. It's a validation of xer anger. Axiem accidentally ticked xer off on the discord channel by saying that he gets frustrated when xie vents.
Oh.

Well, then.

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » Tue 21 Aug 2018, 21:23

Whoa whoa whoa. Micamo can make xer own decisions. Xie does not need anybody else telling the admins what xie "really" does or doesn't need, unless xie asks them to do so. If Micamo reconsiders xer decision, xie is perfectly capable of expressing that.

And furthermore, let's not sit around assigning blame for Micamo's decisions to anybody. It's quite clear that Micamo has been going through a lot recently; that's hardly Axiem's fault. One not-quite-worded-the-way-it-was-intended post is not to blame.

If Micamo thinks it's best for xer health to leave, then I would be sad but accept that as xer decision (because it sure isn't mine!) and hope that it helps improve xer life. If Micamo decides to stay instead, then I'd be delighted to welcome xer back and hope that the forum and Discord server are not a continuing source of stress. But either way, it's not my decision, it's not Axiem's, it's not qwed's: it's only Micamo's. Xie knows better than us what's going on in xer life.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » Tue 21 Aug 2018, 21:36

If you want to continue this line of conversation, please do so over PM. We mods are looking into this, and as more people post their reactions, the situation could get tougher to handle.
Reyzadren
sinic
sinic

Post by Reyzadren » Tue 21 Aug 2018, 22:45

eldin raigmore wrote:
Tue 21 Aug 2018, 14:09
@Davush — I suspect it is indeed translationese. Oh, well.
Also, apparently, عصا means wooden stick (noun) instead of staying stick (verb). They are probably not interchangable like that [:D]
Image Soundcloud Profile | Image griuskant conlang
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » Wed 22 Aug 2018, 02:00

[deleted]
Last edited by qwed117 on Sun 26 Aug 2018, 01:54, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus » Wed 22 Aug 2018, 11:39

Without commenting on the specific instance, which I know nothing about and we've been told not to discuss (!?), in my experience a good general principle in these cases is leaving it a couple of days and then closing the account. Closing the account because it's always good to do what a user asks regarding their account - and if they change their mind they can always open a new one. But leaving it a few days to give them the option of reconsidering.

Basically, this is because this sort of thing can reflect either of two cases: someone who's addicted, and in their considered thought wishes to quit, but worries that they will yield to temptation so desires to put that temptation beyond reach; or someone who actually in their considered thought does not wish to quit, but yields to the temptation to quit in the moment. In the former case, it's good to help them quit; but in the latter case, it's good to protect them from a momentary self-destructive impulse. Because on a forum rejoining is an option, the balance has to be toward considering the former case; but a brief cool-off period on any requests before a permanent action is taken can be a good compromise to offer some protection in the latter case.

Of course, this is a much broader issue of addiction and akrasia, which in turn is part of a much broader issue of the nature of liberty and our obligations to one another. Summed up in one of the most contested lines in the whole of Mill, in which he claimed that some people must be forced to be free (in the context of whether the state could allow people to sell themselves into slavery, and of whether it was legitimate to impose abstinence for alcoholics).

And it's controversial because this is in turn a question that arises out of the metaphysics of personhood. So first you have to determine the nature of identity and of the persistence of things through time...
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » Wed 22 Aug 2018, 18:54

After talking with Micamo, there will not be any action regarding xer request.

We're forum mods, so what happens in the Discord channel is beyond our purview. We deal with issues directly concerning the board, and it seemed the reaction posts were only going to create more issues over here separate from the core question of deleting accounts. Of course, generally, people can talk about Discord goings-on here, but if that discussion looks like it could spiral out of control, we may ask you to stop, just like with any other topic.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » Sun 26 Aug 2018, 01:55

I'm stunned, and generally said, I'm fearful.
Spoiler: