The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by elemtilas » Sun 29 Oct 2017, 22:04

Frislander wrote:I've made it to 2000 posts peeps! [:D] I feel like a veteran of the board now!

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
kiwikami
mind
mind
Location: the first star to the right and straight on 'till mid-afternoon

Post by kiwikami » Mon 30 Oct 2017, 00:13

Frislander wrote:I've made it to 2000 posts peeps! [:D] I feel like a veteran of the board now!
[:D]

Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.
gestaltist
roman
roman

Post by gestaltist » Mon 30 Oct 2017, 00:27

You just won't shut up, will you...

J/k, congrats. [:)]
Kehgrehdid
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Kehgrehdid » Mon 30 Oct 2017, 01:31

holbuzvala wrote:So I'm writing a long essay comparing the creation of Esperanto to the revamping of Hebrew into its Modern Hebrew (Israeli) form. Any recommendations for books/articles about Esperanto I could read? Can be language/linguistics specific, but I'd also like to know if there are any sources that talk about Esperanto culture.
Much obliged!
Check out "In the Land of Invented Languages" by Arika Okrent. There's a chapter on Esperanto, including a brief history and a description of an Esperanto conference. The chapter even compares the two languages you are looking at - or did that chapter inspire your essay?
"Cry me a river, build me a bridge, and get over it."

I marvel that the hardest parts of my life (fear, mistakes, guilt, sin, doubt, failure) are of man, while what I crave most (rest, hope, love, peace, forgiveness) are of God.
KaiTheHomoSapien
sinic
sinic

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » Mon 30 Oct 2017, 05:22

Why does it seem I get sick so often? Yet again I'm in bed with horrible muscle aches and a sore throat. To top it off I saw a spider crawling on my bed earlier [O.O]

The good news is that when I'm sick and staying home from school I find myself devoting as much time as I can to writing and conlanging (if I'm feeling okay enough to be at my computer), two things that I otherwise often don't have any time for.
Don't live to conlang; conlang to live.

My conlang: Image Lihmelinyan
kiwikami
mind
mind
Location: the first star to the right and straight on 'till mid-afternoon

Post by kiwikami » Mon 30 Oct 2017, 05:59

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote:Why does it seem I get sick so often? Yet again I'm in bed with horrible muscle aches and a sore throat. To top it off I saw a spider crawling on my bed earlier [O.O]
:!: :!: :?: What kind of spider?

My sympathies for your sickness. Fight those germs! Fight them.

Get well soon!
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.
KaiTheHomoSapien
sinic
sinic

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » Mon 30 Oct 2017, 06:29

Thank you! [:D] It was just one of those small black spiders I've seen around here before, but it was enough to make me jump out of bed in fear. [>_<] I hate all spiders unless they're so tiny that they verge on cuteness. lol

eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Mon 30 Oct 2017, 09:48

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote:Thank you! [:D] It was just one of those small black spiders I've seen around here before, but it was enough to make me jump out of bed in fear. [>_<] I hate all spiders unless they're so tiny that they verge on cuteness. lol
That might be backwards.
"Bird-eating" spiders are about as venomous as bees. [citation needed]
Brown recluses -- as deadly as black widows -- are so dangerous because they are often not seen and their bites are not noticed until too late.

(Probably [citation needed] there, too.)

I do know from experience in North Texas that wolf spiders are dangerous chiefly because their guts are slippery if you accidentally step on them while running; you're likely to fall so hard you get the breath knocked out of you.
KaiTheHomoSapien
sinic
sinic

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » Mon 30 Oct 2017, 16:55

Gross! >.<

Oh, I'm sure it is backwards. But my fear of spiders has nothing to do with how dangerous they are. It's an irrational fear. I'm scared of the way they look.

DesEsseintes
cleardarkness
cleardarkness

Post by DesEsseintes » Mon 30 Oct 2017, 17:15

I like spiders.
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander » Mon 30 Oct 2017, 18:21

DesEsseintes wrote:I like spiders.
Me too.
OTʜᴇB
roman
roman

Post by OTʜᴇB » Mon 30 Oct 2017, 18:37

I'm totally fine with bugs and stuff and could sit and watch them for ages, but as soon as one gets within close reach of me I'm out. If it's on the other side of a window or in a container then I'll go right up to it, but if it has a direct path to me, then I'm staying at least a metre away. My fear isn't of insects/spiders; it's of insects/spiders being on/near me.
:con: : Dijo
:con: : Language 8 (Reviving Dijo)

BTW I use Arch
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Mon 30 Oct 2017, 19:12

Aargh! Why does every single company I've applied for a job to say "Oh, we'll call you on Monday" and then they never. fucking. do?
It's enough I'm always getting left hanging, now they straight up lie to me.
Image Ӯсцӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image ʾEšd Yatvṛḵažaẇ (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Mon 30 Oct 2017, 19:32

Ahzoh wrote:Aargh! Why does every single company I've applied for a job to say "Oh, we'll call you on Monday" and then they never. fucking. do?
Similar things happens over here in the UK. Seems most companies, after an interview, really aren't in any way inclined to let you know that they aren't offering you the job, even if they say "we'll let you know by the end of the week what's going on" or something. A phone call might be too time consuming, and potentially cost them money, but even a fill-in-the-blanks "you didn't get the job sorry" email would be something, and you wouldn't be left waiting.

I have a friend who's been applying for new jobs recently, and they've had two or three interviews so far, and not one of them has got in contact after saying "we'll be in touch".

I did actually have an interview once where the person said "if you don't hear back by Friday, then we might have given the job to someone else, but feel free to call on Monday just to double check". Didn't get the job, but I liked that attitude a lot [:)]
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Mon 30 Oct 2017, 19:49

In my experience in the U.S. -- both north and south, both east and west -- job-hunt coaches train us that we should be the ones to call back, even if the company said they would do so.
Whether or not we call back should be considered a test of how sincere we are about wanting the job; or proof that we're still on the market.

OTOH, they say that when the potential employer accedes to our request to keep our application and resume on file, they usually actually do so, and then actually consult those files when they have another opening.

So my take-away is; You can afford to be pushier than you think. There's probably such a thing as "too pushy", but you're probably not there yet.
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Mon 30 Oct 2017, 21:13

sangi39 wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:Aargh! Why does every single company I've applied for a job to say "Oh, we'll call you on Monday" and then they never. fucking. do?
Similar things happens over here in the UK. Seems most companies, after an interview, really aren't in any way inclined to let you know that they aren't offering you the job, even if they say "we'll let you know by the end of the week what's going on" or something. A phone call might be too time consuming, and potentially cost them money, but even a fill-in-the-blanks "you didn't get the job sorry" email would be something, and you wouldn't be left waiting.

I have a friend who's been applying for new jobs recently, and they've had two or three interviews so far, and not one of them has got in contact after saying "we'll be in touch".

I did actually have an interview once where the person said "if you don't hear back by Friday, then we might have given the job to someone else, but feel free to call on Monday just to double check". Didn't get the job, but I liked that attitude a lot [:)]
I don't even get interviews, even after calling them a week after applying.
Image Ӯсцӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image ʾEšd Yatvṛḵažaẇ (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Xonen

Post by Xonen » Mon 30 Oct 2017, 22:07

eldin raigmore wrote:
KaiTheHomoSapien wrote:Thank you! [:D] It was just one of those small black spiders I've seen around here before, but it was enough to make me jump out of bed in fear. [>_<] I hate all spiders unless they're so tiny that they verge on cuteness. lol
That might be backwards.
"Bird-eating" spiders are about as venomous as bees. [citation needed]
Brown recluses -- as deadly as black widows -- are so dangerous because they are often not seen and their bites are not noticed until too late.

(Probably [citation needed] there, too.)
Judging by Wikipedia, there doesn't really seem to be a clear-cut correlation either way... Both some large species and some small species can be dangerous, but mostly spiders are fairly harmless regardless of size. Except in Australia of course, where, equally regardless of size, you're pretty much screwed.
DesEsseintes
cleardarkness
cleardarkness

Post by DesEsseintes » Tue 31 Oct 2017, 11:46

Today is chocolate day.
gestaltist
roman
roman

Post by gestaltist » Tue 31 Oct 2017, 12:04

DesEsseintes wrote:Today is chocolate day.
What's the Hii word for chocolate? Or whatever their closest equivalent is?
DesEsseintes
cleardarkness
cleardarkness

Post by DesEsseintes » Tue 31 Oct 2017, 14:42

gestaltist wrote:
DesEsseintes wrote:Today is chocolate day.
What's the Hii word for chocolate? Or whatever their closest equivalent is?
Nınímmnımı’níímeh