The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by shimobaatar » Mon 01 Jan 2018, 21:21

Happy New Year! I hope you all have a wonderful 2018!
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Mon 01 Jan 2018, 23:40

The new year for me has had a fairly good start. Well, it has for the reptiles:
Spoiler:

Kami's weight has been pretty stable for the last few months, bordering on 60g (which is why the "percentage" graph looks like he's put on loads of weight, it's just that he's a teeny tiny gecko.

Benny has finally hit 400g, which was my aim for 2017, after her pretty staggering weight-loss over the previous winter (he's gone through some erratic periods over the last year, but it looks like he might be passed that now).

Svafnir, as he always does, is gradually gaining weight, but has natural "waves" in his weight pattern which is likely down to the fact that I feed him every five days but weigh him every seven (and he sheds and, ahem, "goes to the toilet" quite regularly as well). At 820g, and almost four years old, I definitely don't need to worry about him right now.

For me personally, 2018 is starting out better than 2017. I'm in a job that while nearly identical to my previous job in almost all respects, if not a little busier, has a much better atmosphere. I get a bit miffed, as everybody does at work, but I don't come home feeling miserable and unappreciated.

I came out in April, so I'm no longer carrying that burden around with me. Rather than worrying that people close to me might find out and reject me, all I have to deal with now is confidence in who I am and ignoring the opinions of people who don't matter to me.

I was taking antidepressants, but feel better in myself and how to handle my thoughts that, after talking to my doctor, I think I can get on without them. I'm still anxious about things like going outside or trying new things, but I'm much better at ignoring them now.

I asked somebody out at work, she said yes, and tomorrow will be out 6th date since November. I'm enjoying it, while not letting myself feel like it's bigger than it is. I've never actually done the whole "dating" thing, so it's pretty interesting.

So, yeah, going into 2018 feeling a lot better than I did going into 2017. Less worry, less panic, more enjoying the little things [:)]
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Tue 02 Jan 2018, 00:16

Happy 2018 CE, everyone!
Last edited by eldin raigmore on Tue 02 Jan 2018, 00:24, edited 1 time in total.
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Tue 02 Jan 2018, 00:22

This whole arbitrary year numbering plus one, thing, has not as of yet made any difference at all, for me. Today feels about the same as it did a few days ago. Maybe that's good... Maybe I'm in a rut. *le shrug*
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » Tue 02 Jan 2018, 01:15

Yup, I changed my avatar (it should resemble my real-life appearance).
Everyone's open to guess which style I copied.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Tue 02 Jan 2018, 01:27

Phoenix Wright?
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » Tue 02 Jan 2018, 01:31

No, but it's Japanese.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Tue 02 Jan 2018, 02:02

It looks similar to Max Stirner:
Image Ӯсцӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Vṛḵažaẇ (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Tue 02 Jan 2018, 02:35

elemtilas wrote:
Mon 01 Jan 2018, 05:53
For those of you strange folks who celebrate the New Year, like, three months early . . .
Spoiler:
(Advanced) Happy New Year!!
D'you mean, like, Coptic New Year (which, for the past few years has been 11 Sept)???
:wat:

Yes. I celebrate that.
[:P]
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Tue 02 Jan 2018, 02:36

eldin raigmore wrote:
Tue 02 Jan 2018, 00:16
Happy 2018 CE, everyone!
Yes!

May the best conlinguisticalities & glossopoesies percolate out of the Multiverse into our minds & hearts.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » Tue 02 Jan 2018, 05:57

Thrice Xandvii wrote:
Tue 02 Jan 2018, 00:22
This whole arbitrary year numbering plus one, thing, has not as of yet made any difference at all, for me. Today feels about the same as it did a few days ago. Maybe that's good... Maybe I'm in a rut. *le shrug*
In practical terms, it's all-important. If a grand piano fell on your head today, you'd get "2018" on your tombstone. Cool, right? [:D] But if the piano had fallen on you yesterday, you'd only have gotten a "2017". [¬.¬]
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Tue 02 Jan 2018, 06:48

Dormouse559 wrote:
Tue 02 Jan 2018, 05:57
In practical terms, it's all-important. If a grand piano fell on your head today, you'd get "2018" on your tombstone. Cool, right? [:D] But if the piano had fallen on you yesterday, you'd only have gotten a "2017". [¬.¬]
While true, that could be thought of to further my point. It's only a day different, but one more number moves than usual... I dunno, I'm just being difficult as I fail to see the significance in practical terms. (As far as cultural symbolism, and such, I get it... but, well, you know.)
Egerius wrote:
Tue 02 Jan 2018, 01:31
No, but it's Japanese.
Can we get a small hint?
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » Tue 02 Jan 2018, 06:57

Thrice Xandvii wrote:
Tue 02 Jan 2018, 06:48
While true, that could be thought of to further my point. It's only a day different, but one more number moves than usual... I dunno, I'm just being difficult as I fail to see the significance in practical terms. (As far as cultural symbolism, and such, I get it... but, well, you know.)
That was my attempt at a joke. I don't actually think the numbers on headstones are all-important, least of all for the people buried under them.
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Tue 02 Jan 2018, 07:37

I know. I have a bad habit of explaining jokes to their logical conclusions to the point where folks don't think I realized they were joking.
OTʜᴇB
roman
roman

Post by OTʜᴇB » Tue 02 Jan 2018, 14:48

Thrice Xandvii wrote:
Tue 02 Jan 2018, 07:37
I know. I have a bad habit of explaining jokes to their logical conclusions to the point where folks don't think I realized they were joking.
I do this a lot. I almost find it funny because of the reactions you get, but I also sometimes get a good bit of brain exercise out of properly thinking through a joke. Think Red Dwarf when Lister tells Rimmer the story about the shoes that could walk by themselves that stole a car, then the punch-line is "turns out, shoes have soles" - but Rimmer's first reaction is "wait. How did they open the car door?". I genuinely spent half an hour properly discussing how self-walking shoes could work, and the practicality of said shoes stealing a car un-aided... I'm not fun at parties.. I don't go to any anyway.
:con: : Current Project

BTW I use Arch
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » Tue 02 Jan 2018, 15:19

Thrice Xandvii wrote:
Can we get a small hint?
A small hint?
Spoiler:
Hiromu Arakawa
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Tue 02 Jan 2018, 23:08

Thrice Xandvii wrote:
OTʜᴇB wrote:
Tue 02 Jan 2018, 14:48
I do this a lot. I almost find it funny because of the reactions you get, but I also sometimes get a good bit of brain exercise out of properly thinking through a joke. Think Red Dwarf when Lister tells Rimmer the story about the shoes that could walk by themselves that stole a car, then the punch-line is "turns out, shoes have soles" - but Rimmer's first reaction is "wait. How did they open the car door?". I genuinely spent half an hour properly discussing how self-walking shoes could work, and the practicality of said shoes stealing a car un-aided... I'm not fun at parties.. I don't go to any anyway.
If we all three showed up at the same party, we could all be wallflowers together and have a great time, being ignored by everybody else. I think.
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Wed 03 Jan 2018, 01:15

eldin raigmore wrote:
Tue 02 Jan 2018, 23:08
Thrice Xandvii wrote:
OTʜᴇB wrote:
Tue 02 Jan 2018, 14:48
If we all three showed up at the same party, we could all be wallflowers together and have a great time, being ignored by everybody else. I think.
I dunno, I can be social... I just end up being awkward... just, while surrounded by people. Which, to be honest, is kinda fun for other people more often than not.
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Wed 03 Jan 2018, 01:23

Egerius wrote:
Tue 02 Jan 2018, 15:19
Thrice Xandvii wrote:
Can we get a small hint?
A small hint?
Spoiler:
Hiromu Arakawa
...FMA?
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Wed 03 Jan 2018, 04:52

My laptop's screen has been incredibly wonky since yesterday after I downloaded a new graphics driver from the Dell people.

I turn on computer, I get flashing screen with a bunch of 1 or 2 pixel wide horizontal and vertical bars all over the place. This occurs for exactly 1 minute before it goes to the normal screen saver and I can use my computer.

It does this every time it turns on and it's annoying. Sadly, I haven't found any way to fix it.
Image Ӯсцӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Vṛḵažaẇ (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]