The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by elemtilas » Sun 07 Jan 2018, 16:06

Lao Kou wrote:
Sun 07 Jan 2018, 08:00
shimobaatar wrote:
Sun 07 Jan 2018, 05:27
Spoiler:
I think I have a pretty good excuse for why I wasn't able to pick them up in time. In the end, I'm just grateful I'll be able to get there before classes start. This is why I always plan to return to school on Saturdays, so I have Sundays open in case anything goes wrong.
A conscientious student such as yourself should just relax and breeeeaathe.
Definitely this!

But good luck this semester all the same!

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » Sun 07 Jan 2018, 19:23

Lao Kou wrote:
Sun 07 Jan 2018, 08:00
shimobaatar wrote:
Sun 07 Jan 2018, 05:27
Spoiler:
I think I have a pretty good excuse for why I wasn't able to pick them up in time. In the end, I'm just grateful I'll be able to get there before classes start. This is why I always plan to return to school on Saturdays, so I have Sundays open in case anything goes wrong.
A conscientious student such as yourself should just relax and breeeeaathe.
Ah, thanks, but I'm not really stressed out about it. It's just an inconvenience.
Thrice Xandvii wrote:
Sun 07 Jan 2018, 08:11
I know I got into the habit of NEVER buying books until after the first class or two. There were occasions in which the professor would discuss the books he didn't plan on using much (or at all) which was sometimes in contradiction with what the sylabus and/or bookstore had in terms of information. You might actually end up with this as a blessing in disguise if you end up saving money on a few books that you find out you don't need.
That is true, but either way, the bookstore at my school is very good with returns, so even if I don't need some of the books I end up getting, I can always return them.
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Sun 07 Jan 2018, 20:26

Lao Kou wrote:
Sun 07 Jan 2018, 08:13
http://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.MeCNL ... =5&pid=1.7 I'm a little bit country...
http://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.hDbVU ... =5&pid=1.7 And I'm a little bit rock-n-roll...
I haven't investigated, but surely I'm not the only one online who has seen a resemblance.
I don't recognize either of them. Who's resembling whom?
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Sun 07 Jan 2018, 22:52

eldin raigmore wrote:
Sun 07 Jan 2018, 20:26
Lao Kou wrote:
http://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.MeCNL ... =5&pid=1.7 I'm a little bit country...
http://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.hDbVU ... =5&pid=1.7 And I'm a little bit rock-n-roll...
I haven't investigated, but surely I'm not the only one online who has seen a resemblance.
I don't recognize either of them. Who's resembling whom?
Ah, I'm sure Master Lao is referring to "Country" & "Rock-and-Roll": both are kinds of pop music with origins deep in the last century, both involve guitars, both have roots in Memphis (Tennessee, not Egypt).

Whereas those two images couldn't be more radically different: one is landscape oriented, while the other is portrait oriented; one image was made inside, the other was made outside; one has no concept of aesthetic background, the other demonstrates harmonious background framing.

But only time will tell! (Said William Tell as he rode his hoss to Bainbridge Cross, there his penny to toss in St. Bramah's Well.)

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Mon 08 Jan 2018, 00:04

Lao Kou wrote:
Image I'm a little bit country...

Image And I'm a little bit rock-n-roll...

If the second pic is supposed to be Donny (post Bruce Jenner magic), then (s)he's really rock-n-roll. [:x] [:$]

Who is the second person? Darlene Osmond? Reebie Osmond?? Velma Osmond??? Huckabetty Osmond? Which Osmond is that??? [o.O]
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Mon 08 Jan 2018, 00:09

Marie Osmond & Valerie Bertinelli -
[<3] [:3] [<3]
Simply gorgeous.
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » Mon 08 Jan 2018, 04:43

I don't know who the first woman is, but I believe the second is Sarah Huckabee Sanders, the current White House Press Secretary.
Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » Mon 08 Jan 2018, 04:50

shimobaatar wrote:
Mon 08 Jan 2018, 04:43
I don't know who the first woman is, but I believe the second is Sarah Huckabee Sanders, the current White House Press Secretary.
Ah, you younguns. Time was when we could spot an Osmond at thirty paces. [:P]
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Mon 08 Jan 2018, 23:50

elemtilas wrote:
Sun 07 Jan 2018, 22:52
But only time will tell! (Said William Tell as he rode his hoss to Bainbridge Cross, there his penny to toss in St. Bramah's Well.)
No, I'm pretty sure "Time Will Tell!" was what the hippodrome manager told his assistant as the horserace started.
William ("Will") Tell was a famous jockey, wasn't he?
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Tue 09 Jan 2018, 06:36

Lao Kou wrote:
Mon 08 Jan 2018, 04:50
shimobaatar wrote:
Mon 08 Jan 2018, 04:43
Ah, you younguns. Time was when we could spot an Osmond at thirty paces. [:P]
Creepy, scarily true.
[O.O]
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Tue 09 Jan 2018, 06:43

Ha ha ha. One of the Summit Meetings of 70s Pop Music.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ndT9rfhFBJU/hqdefault.jpg

Dick Clarke takes on the role of Henry Kissinger.

I cannot remember if this was the Threshold Pop Band Treaty (TPBT) or the Strategic Autotune Limitation Treaty (SALT).
It was certainly one of those.
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » Tue 09 Jan 2018, 16:40

Yay, colour!
Thanks to Thrice Xandvii who has done an exquisite job.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » Wed 10 Jan 2018, 18:52

Hello everybody! I've been out of the loop for awhile (not really sure why--got busy at work, I guess), but trying to get more active again. I've been more visibly lurking around the ZBB lately so here I am over here as well.

As an update on my personal status, I have switched to a new project at work (and am loving it; I never had anything to do on my old project so I am thrilled to have stuff to do now), I got a new car, I now own a plant that I haven't killed for almost an entire month, and I am deeply behind on conlanging.

EDIT: also, the new forum theme makes my lack of an avatar reeeeeally noticeable. I'll have to add something.
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » Wed 10 Jan 2018, 19:03

Welcome back, alynnidalar! [:D]
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Wed 10 Jan 2018, 19:21

alynnidalar wrote:
Wed 10 Jan 2018, 18:52
Hello everybody! I've been out of the loop for awhile (not really sure why--got busy at work, I guess), but trying to get more active again.
Understandable!
I've been more visibly lurking around the ZBB lately so here I am over here as well.
[B)]
As an update on my personal status, I have switched to a new project at work (and am loving it; I never had anything to do on my old project so I am thrilled to have stuff to do now), I got a new car, I now own a plant that I haven't killed for almost an entire month,

W00TifUL!!!
and I am deeply behind on conlanging.
Forgiven and shriven! [:P]
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Wed 10 Jan 2018, 20:42

alynnidalar wrote:
Wed 10 Jan 2018, 18:52
Hello everybody!
Welcome back!
EDIT: also, the new forum theme makes my lack of an avatar reeeeeally noticeable. I'll have to add something.
And here I thought you and shimo got your avatars from the same shop...

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » Wed 10 Jan 2018, 22:22

Good to see you again, alynnidar! Speaking of shops, Thrice Xandvii set up shop over in this thread if you're looking for some avatar design services.
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Wed 10 Jan 2018, 22:49

Dormouse559 wrote:
Wed 10 Jan 2018, 22:22
Good to see you again, alynnidar! Speaking of shops, Thrice Xandvii set up shop over in this thread if you're looking for some avatar design services.
I've been summoned...

*looks around* Hmm?
Egerius wrote:
Tue 09 Jan 2018, 16:40
Yay, colour!
Thanks to Thrice Xandvii who has done an exquisite job.
No problem! Thanks for the praise.
Last edited by Thrice Xandvii on Thu 11 Jan 2018, 19:29, edited 1 time in total.
Adarain
greek
greek

Post by Adarain » Thu 11 Jan 2018, 11:26

I guess I need me an avatar as well, huh. Shouldn’t be too hard to get my usual avatar ported over to here.

I’ve also not been here for a while; decided yesterday to check out what’s changed here — a lot, just looking at how the forum looks now. Not so happy my beloved “unread posts” button is hidden behind a menu now.

I’m now thinking of maybe making a big post on one of the two things that are currently plagueing me with Mesak: the interplay between incorporation and the absolutive pivot (those two things are basically incompatible and I have both features and only recently noticed the problems…) or on word formations, ie what options Mesak offers to derive words. Neither of these topics are particularly well-thought out at the moment and perhaps writing a post about them would help me get my thoughts together - it certainly has in the past with other problems I’ve had. Any interests?
At kveldi skal dag lęyfa,
Konu es bręnnd es,
Mæki es ręyndr es,
Męy es gefin es,
Ís es yfir kømr,
Ǫl es drukkit es.
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » Thu 11 Jan 2018, 16:23

Adarain wrote:
Thu 11 Jan 2018, 11:26
Not so happy my beloved “unread posts” button is hidden behind a menu now.
[+1] [+1] [+1]

Anyway, welcome back!