The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by elemtilas » Fri 12 Jan 2018, 03:16

!Help¡

Okay, now I've got your attention, I do need some help from you guys!

So, I've been interested for a while in looking for some good graphic novels. Could be either Western (European/American) or Eastern (manga, maybe shonen? if Japanese), or preferably suggestions for both styles.

What I'm interested in is good quality mythology (again, either eastern or western) or fantasy-adventure. Good quality art (preferably in colours) is a definite plus; good writing & style is a must. Not really interested in futuristic / SF / superhero genres.

Can anyone make some good suggestions? In all the used book shops around me are shelves full of this stuff, of course a lot of the manga is in Japanese which doesn't help me any!, but I've got no idea what to actually look for on all the stacks!

(Oh, and not Tintin, Asterix or classic Smurfs --- have already read a lot of those!)

Appreciation both mellifluous and eternal will naturally be showered sevenfold on those kind souls willing to lend a hand! While, equally naturally, literary vituperation heaped upon those unwilling to help! [;)]

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » Fri 12 Jan 2018, 04:11

This probably isn't what you're looking for, but when you say "manga" and "fantasy-adventure" and "mythology" and implied "easy to find", I have to think of Dragonball. I know the later parts of the manga and the DBZ anime get sci-fi/actiony, but the early manga is vaguely based off Journey to the West. It's not very serious, though, if that's what you're looking for.
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem » Fri 12 Jan 2018, 06:16

Looking at my shelf of graphic novels / manga, what stands out to me:

Bone (Jeff Smith) - I'd classify it as fantasy-adventure

Maus (Art Spiegelman) - Depressing, about World War II, but soooo good. Not quite in what you were asking for, but good enough for me to recommend it anyway

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (Hayao Miyazaki) - Fantasy/sci-fi adventure, and so much better than the movie (even though the movie's also good). Despite being technically sci-fi, the technology is much less a part of the plot than the characters doing stuff, in my opinion. I read it far more like a fantasy than a sci-fi, even though it is the latter, strictly speaking (and, to be fair, is ultimately something that drives the plot)

Y: The Last Man (Brian K. Vaughn) - I especially like the world-building, and trying to actually seriously tackle the premise, though it delves into some sci-fi simply by virtue of being set in what at the time was the near future
Conworld: Mto
:con: : Kuvian
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Fri 12 Jan 2018, 08:23

Watchmen. Not really mythology, but a really good graphic novel nonetheless. Also, more to your point... Look into Sandman stuff by Mr. Neil Gaiman. I haven't read it myself, but my God is there some mythos there!
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Sun 14 Jan 2018, 00:27

[<3] [<3] [<3]

Wow! Thanks for the excellent suggestions!

I think I will definitely be on the lookout for Nausicaa, Bone and Sandman.

Today's foray netted Maus. I'd seen it before in the stacks, but never really looked close to see what it was about. I think that'll be a goodie.

Also found Akaneiro & Heart of a Colt which appear to quite what I'm looking for. Also Spera and Errant Story. Not within the sought genre-soup, and not actually a graphic novel at all, I also picked up some Oor Wullie.

In return, and I've really only just started it myself, I'd recommend Habibi in return for all your help!

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera