The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
sangi39

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by sangi39 » Tue 12 Dec 2017, 21:41

I was up in the Yorkshire Dales earlier today visiting a place called Druid's Temple... still no snow. Well, a little bit of snow or thick frost, honestly not sure which, but not proper snow [:P]
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander » Tue 12 Dec 2017, 21:47

Well I finally got snow on Sunday evening and I still have quite a bit of it simply because of how cold it's been; so cold in fact that it hasn't had the chance to melt and refreeze as ice like the weather forecasters warned. I think we've just been rained on though so it might not be around for much longer...
gach
MVP
MVP

Post by gach » Tue 12 Dec 2017, 23:54

Xonen wrote:
Tue 12 Dec 2017, 19:54
Of course, today we got some fairly heavy snowfall, then. However, it did start melting immediately afterwards, so now everything is pitch black, soaking wet and covered in slush. #visithelsinki
Sounds lovely. Fingers crossed for Christmas when I'm coming over. Before that I'm going to spend one and a half weeks on the top of a mountain in the Canaries and if the weather is not getting better, there's a chance that getting home for Christmas will mean travelling to better weather. At the moment it's -3°C, 100% humidity, and raining there and last year at the same time we had a mix of thick ice, sleet, and gusts topping at 36 m/s. Nice conditions for driving with summer tyres. Ended up loosing 90% of the work I was sent to do, which meant that also the remaining 10% reduced largely to a training exercise.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Wed 13 Dec 2017, 03:54

gach wrote:
Tue 12 Dec 2017, 23:54
Xonen wrote:
Tue 12 Dec 2017, 19:54
Of course, today we got some fairly heavy snowfall, then. However, it did start melting immediately afterwards, so now everything is pitch black, soaking wet and covered in slush. #visithelsinki
Sounds lovely. Fingers crossed for Christmas when I'm coming over. Before that I'm going to spend one and a half weeks on the top of a mountain in the Canaries and if the weather is not getting better, there's a chance that getting home for Christmas will mean travelling to better weather. At the moment it's -3°C, 100% humidity, and raining there and last year at the same time we had a mix of thick ice, sleet, and gusts topping at 36 m/s. Nice conditions for driving with summer tyres. Ended up loosing 90% of the work I was sent to do, which meant that also the remaining 10% reduced largely to a training exercise.
Looks a lot nicer in normal numbers! ;) --- almost 27degF. Here twas 10degC this afternoon and is now -7. [br:]

Hm. -6degRe --- not much better, really.

At least no appreciable snow as of yet! [:D]

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
OTʜᴇB
roman
roman

Post by OTʜᴇB » Wed 13 Dec 2017, 18:38

I really hate snow. However, this bout of it is excused as it closed my college on Monday. Tuesday was a frozen hell though - 7 layers (2 thermal vests, 2 t-shirts, a wool polo shirt, a big jumper, and a big coat (to be fair, I normally wear all but the coat in Autumn and Winter)) and I could barely walk it was so cold. Because my 6th form is basically an extension of the two neighbouring secondary schools, I had to put up with a few hundred little twats throwing blocks of ice left right and centre. For the last week of college this year, it's turning out to be pretty terrible. Hopefully it'll be better in January.

On a brighter note, I'm having something made that I'm rather excited about. I year or so ago, I was really obsessed with the idea of the cloak. I didn't have one, so I just wore a blanket around the house. I've always wanted one, but because they're very rarely seen outside of costume shops, I never found a good one - and even if I did, my social anxiety wouldn't have let me wear it outside my house. Now though, I've developed just enough confidence to bring myself to wear one - and most of it came from my friends supporting the idea of a cloak. My grandmother (who is very good with textiles (and also a bit mad, but she's happy)) came around last week, and I shared my idea, and it's becoming a thing! She drew some designs and it looks really promising - a pretty good midpoint between "looks really fucking pretentious" and "looks like a homeless guy". We've picked out some good materials, and she's sourced a pattern to use. If all goes to plan, it'll be done for boxing day when we go over for the day.
:con: : Dijo
:con: : Language 8 (Reviving Dijo)

BTW I use Arch
ixals
sinic
sinic

Post by ixals » Wed 13 Dec 2017, 19:36

My family and I were really lucky this year it seems. The day after we flew to Spain, a lot of German flights were cancelled. One day later and we wouldn't have been able to be on vacation this year. I just hope we're able to fly back home in a week [:S]
Native: :deu:
Learning: :gbr:, :fra:, :por:, :pol:

Цiски a Central Slavic conlang
Noattȯč a future German conlang [on hold]
Tungōnis Vīdīnōs Proto-Germanic goes Romance [on hold]
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Wed 13 Dec 2017, 19:36

OTʜᴇB wrote:
Wed 13 Dec 2017, 18:38
On a brighter note, I'm having something made that I'm rather excited about. I year or so ago, I was really obsessed with the idea of the cloak. I didn't have one, so I just wore a blanket around the house. I've always wanted one, but because they're very rarely seen outside of costume shops, I never found a good one - and even if I did, my social anxiety wouldn't have let me wear it outside my house. Now though, I've developed just enough confidence to bring myself to wear one - and most of it came from my friends supporting the idea of a cloak. My grandmother (who is very good with textiles (and also a bit mad, but she's happy)) came around last week, and I shared my idea, and it's becoming a thing! She drew some designs and it looks really promising - a pretty good midpoint between "looks really fucking pretentious" and "looks like a homeless guy". We've picked out some good materials, and she's sourced a pattern to use. If all goes to plan, it'll be done for boxing day when we go over for the day.
Awesome!

And it'll be hand made and by your Grandma --- triple helpings of [B)] [B)] [B)]

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn » Wed 13 Dec 2017, 19:46

elemtilas wrote:
Wed 13 Dec 2017, 19:36
OTʜᴇB wrote:
Awesome!

And it'll be hand made and by your Grandma --- triple helpings of [B)] [B)] [B)]
If anyone complains you can just walk away misteriously.
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Wed 13 Dec 2017, 20:34

A friend of mine had a cape w/hood that he picked up at a Renaissance Faire. It was hella fun to wear, but definitely made ya stand out... Even at Wal-Mart.

Dunno if yours will be that overdone or more subtle. Either way, I say, go nuts and have fun while ya can!
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Thu 14 Dec 2017, 04:13

I take a four-hour nap and all of a sudden I've got a pain in my esophagus out of nowhere and it's making it really painful to swallow. Hurts like a 5-7/10 every time I swallow and it feels painful/bruisy when I put pressure on my adam's apple/thyroid.
Edit: It looks like an advil does the trick
Image Ӯсцӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image ʾEšd Yatvṛḵažaẇ (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » Thu 14 Dec 2017, 13:39

OTʜᴇB wrote:
On a brighter note, I'm having something made that I'm rather excited about. [A] year or so ago, I was really obsessed with the idea of the cloak.
Yes! Another advocate of good retro-fashion. [:D]

If I had the money, I'd be wearing something like this all the time (well, I already do, but there are pieces of such an outfit that aren't that cheap to get).
Thrice Xandvii wrote:
Wed 13 Dec 2017, 20:34
A friend of mine had a cape w/hood that he picked up at a Renaissance Faire. It was hella fun to wear, but definitely made ya stand out... Even at Wal-Mart.
Either way, I say, go nuts and have fun while ya can!
Oh, so it's going to be something like this? Even better!
loglorn wrote:
Wed 13 Dec 2017, 19:46
That's the best part!

Just with an ordinary bowler/derby hat on my head, some people kept staring at me - I stared back and walked away.
If you feel comfortable with what you're wearing, the anxiety will fade like white noise. [;)]
Last edited by Egerius on Thu 14 Dec 2017, 22:50, edited 1 time in total.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Thu 14 Dec 2017, 19:24

Egerius wrote:
Thu 14 Dec 2017, 13:39
OTʜᴇB wrote:
On a brighter note, I'm having something made that I'm rather excited about. [A] year or so ago, I was really obsessed with the idea of the cloak.
Yes! Another advocate of good retro-fashion. [:D]

If I had the money, I'd be wearing something like this all the time (well, I already do, but there are pieces of such an outfit that aren't that cheap to get).
Thrice Xandvii wrote:
Wed 13 Dec 2017, 20:34
Either way, I say, go nuts and have fun while ya can!
Oh, so it's going to be something like this? Even better!
loglorn wrote:
Wed 13 Dec 2017, 19:46
That's the best part!

Just with just an ordinary bowler/derby hat on my head, some people kept staring at me - I stared back and walked away.
If you feel comfortable with what you're wearing, the anxiety will fade like white noise. [;)]
Alright, now y'all've got me wanting one (again!).

It'll go nice with my tricorn.

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » Thu 14 Dec 2017, 22:56

LOL, only now I noticed that the CBB's interface language is English, although I had it set to German when I first joined. [O.O]
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Thu 14 Dec 2017, 23:26

May be a sign of your fluency...?
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » Fri 15 Dec 2017, 00:14

Whew, I'm officially done for the semester! I'll be flying home tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully I'll be able to be more active on here over the next few weeks.
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Fri 15 Dec 2017, 01:11

shimobaatar wrote:
Fri 15 Dec 2017, 00:14
Whew, I'm officially done for the semester! I'll be flying home tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully I'll be able to be more active on here over the next few weeks.
Woot!

You should join the Discord server. It's fun over there...
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Fri 15 Dec 2017, 02:25

shimobaatar wrote:
Yay!

Hope all went well this semester!

DesEsseintes
cleardarkness
cleardarkness

Post by DesEsseintes » Fri 15 Dec 2017, 03:25

shimobaatar wrote:
Congrats! [:D]
Thrice Xandvii wrote:
Fri 15 Dec 2017, 01:11
You should join the Discord server. It's fun over there...
[+1]

In other shimo-related news, it’s my birthday and shimo (unknowingly) gave my a birthday present in the Núta thread. It’s called shimofeedback! [:3]
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Fri 15 Dec 2017, 07:03

Happy freakin' birthday!
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » Fri 15 Dec 2017, 07:04

Happy Birthday 🎂 DesEsseintes [:D]