The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Tue 24 Oct 2017, 01:52

There's nothing on Wiktionary or in Google Translate so I wasn't sure what other resource to use.
DesEsseintes
cleardarkness
cleardarkness

Post by DesEsseintes » Tue 24 Oct 2017, 02:02

Thrice Xandvii wrote:There's nothing on Wiktionary or in Google Translate so I wasn't sure what other resource to use.
Sorry, I’m afraid I don’t know of any others either. I use an actual printed dictionary. I’m so old-fashioned. [:S]
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Tue 24 Oct 2017, 02:55

Honestly, I like books too, especially dictionaries, I just don't have one that's useful in this case.
holbuzvala
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by holbuzvala » Tue 24 Oct 2017, 17:42

So I'm writing a long essay comparing the creation of Esperanto to the revamping of Hebrew into its Modern Hebrew (Israeli) form. Any recommendations for books/articles about Esperanto I could read? Can be language/linguistics specific, but I'd also like to know if there are any sources that talk about Esperanto culture.
Much obliged!
Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » Wed 25 Oct 2017, 05:25

Thrice Xandvii wrote:
DesEsseintes wrote:
Thrice Xandvii wrote:
DesEsseintes wrote:
Thrice Xandvii wrote:Anyone know what this character means: 虇?
It’s pronounced quăn and means a) 芦笋 lúsŭn - asparagus; b) the shoot of a reed or similar plant

I use Wang Li’s Dictionary of Classical Chinese for obscure characters. I haven’t checked but I’m sure there’s an online version.
There's nothing on Wiktionary or in Google Translate so I wasn't sure what other resource to use.
Sorry, I’m afraid I don’t know of any others either. I use an actual printed dictionary. I’m so old-fashioned. [:S]
Honestly, I like books too, especially dictionaries, I just don't have one that's useful in this case.
For online, I often use this:

http://www.zdic.net/

which rendered this:

http://www.zdic.net/z/23/js/8647.htm

which it defines it as 1) the shoot of a reed or similar plant; 2) bamboo shoot (they also usually provide an English gloss, at least, but this character is a tad arcane)

Uncle Hanzi often has stuff off the beaten path. But not today for . Perhaps he has a day job.

I was amazed to find it here, which I normally use for quick online day-to-day stuff.

http://www.iciba.com/%E8%99%87 Not even a tone marker here! Usually English definitions, some example sentences with (albeit often GoogleTranslationese-style) English equivalents. And the Chinese definitions are exactly the same as what you find at zdic. But hey! It's arcane, but it's here.

None of my hardcopy dictionaries have this one [:|] .
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
DesEsseintes
cleardarkness
cleardarkness

Post by DesEsseintes » Wed 25 Oct 2017, 05:58

Lao Kou wrote:None of my hardcopy dictionaries have this one [:|] .
Since you’re a fellow China resident, may I again recommend 王力古汉语字典. Fear not, the dictionary itself is entirely in traditional. [:)]
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Wed 25 Oct 2017, 21:01

Did you know that most male babies born in Catholic hospitals express Anabaptist tendencies during the first few minutes after being born?
For instance, they tell me that my first act as a newborn was to re-baptize Sister Mary Francis de Sales (my mom's attending nurse)!
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Thu 26 Oct 2017, 00:22

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 » Fri 27 Oct 2017, 01:03

Thrice Xandvii wrote:http://theaustinstollhaus.tumblr.com/po ... -the-worst

Eesh, just... eesh!
This is a bit late, but I think y'all are missing the point. English isn't better than any language, much like it isn't worse. Unless you have some extraordinary proof that it is much worse.
eldin raigmore wrote:Did you know that most male babies born in Catholic hospitals express Anabaptist tendencies during the first few minutes after being born?
For instance, they tell me that my first act as a newborn was to re-baptize Sister Mary Francis de Sales (my mom's attending nurse)!
BWAHAHAHAH
Spoiler: show
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Fri 27 Oct 2017, 02:51

qwed117 wrote:This is a bit late, but I think y'all are missing the point. English isn't better than any language, much like it isn't worse. Unless you have some extraordinary proof that it is much worse.
Pretty sure we all agree with that as we were commenting that the supposed superiority being talked about is ridiculous.
Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » Fri 27 Oct 2017, 03:53

DesEsseintes wrote:Since you’re a fellow China resident, may I again recommend 王力古汉语字典. Fear not, the dictionary itself is entirely in traditional. [:)]
It arrived all shiny and sparkly this morning. [:D] I'll have the weekend to work through my new dictionary crush. [B)]

-- "Why does Lao Kou have a three-day growth of beard and smell like Coney Island at low tide?"
-- "He just bought a new dictionary."
-- "Ah. Should we leave some food by the door or something?"
-- "Ten more characters, and we go in."
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Fri 27 Oct 2017, 03:58

Are there any really good dictionaries of Chinese characters written in English?
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » Fri 27 Oct 2017, 09:04

... Or about the Seal Script and Oracle Bone pictograms...
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
DesEsseintes
cleardarkness
cleardarkness

Post by DesEsseintes » Sat 28 Oct 2017, 17:19

I have no time to conlang. I don’t foresee having any time to conlang for a good while to come. And yet I keep getting good conlanging ideas. I think I’m onto something. My brain is desperately trying to escape all the super responsible things I’m actually busy with and therefore is tempting me to slack off and conlang. Once I have free time again, my brain will just shrug and stare at me blankly when I actually want to get back into conlanging. Ah, the irony.

I need to get up early. Again. Good night. [/rant]
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Sat 28 Oct 2017, 17:40

DesEsseintes wrote:I have no time to conlang. I don’t foresee having any time to conlang for a good while to come. And yet I keep getting good conlanging ideas. I think I’m onto something. My brain is desperately trying to escape all the super responsible things I’m actually busy with and therefore is tempting me to slack off and conlang. Once I have free time again, my brain will just shrug and stare at me blankly when I actually want to get back into conlanging. Ah, the irony.

I have a similar issue. Yantas, both the world and the languages spoken on it, has been a project of mine for 4 years now and I've been so bogged down by real-life that I've found it hard to come up with more than a handful of phonologies, some very basic morphologies and the map of the world is still what I'd consider a rough draft.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » Sat 28 Oct 2017, 17:41

DesEsseintes wrote:I have no time to conlang. I don’t foresee having any time to conlang for a good while to come. And yet I keep getting good conlanging ideas. I think I’m onto something. My brain is desperately trying to escape all the super responsible things I’m actually busy with and therefore is tempting me to slack off and conlang. Once I have free time again, my brain will just shrug and stare at me blankly when I actually want to get back into conlanging. Ah, the irony.

Maybe keep a notebook and/or notes app handy so you can jot things down? Just enough to remind you later, when you have some free time, what you were thinking of. I have this tiny notepad in my bedroom, and if I have a conlang idea but need to get to bed, I might write down as little as one word so I can see it in the morning and remember.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Sun 29 Oct 2017, 01:11

Dormouse559 wrote:

Maybe keep a notebook and/or notes app handy so you can jot things down? Just enough to remind you later, when you have some free time, what you were thinking of. I have this tiny notepad in my bedroom, and if I have a conlang idea but need to get to bed, I might write down as little as one word so I can see it in the morning and remember.
Gliribunde,
I am functionally in the same rut. Just too busy. And we got new Spanish textbooks this year, and some of the exercises, they call out to me, saying
«Translate us into Rozwi, traduce us into Çedara. Be so good as to wend us into Sådras…» Mountains of grading keep me from my secret vice. [:'(]

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/27/46/59/2746 ... hology.jpg
https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/alterna ... 844167.jpg

We conlangers are a funny lot.
[;)]
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander » Sun 29 Oct 2017, 17:12

I've made it to 2000 posts peeps! [:D] I feel like a veteran of the board now!
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Sun 29 Oct 2017, 17:48

Congrats!
Spoiler: show
Hmmm, I've no idea how many I have ATM,
gonna use this post to check.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth