The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
KaiTheHomoSapien
sinic
sinic

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » Fri 24 Nov 2017, 17:43

^I love patter songs too [:D] My favorite is "Signorina, un'altra volta" from The Barber of Seville: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbOMO_IfJCs (5:10 in this video)

I also like when rappers like Busta Rhymes do similar things [:P]
Don't live to conlang; conlang to live.

My conlang: Image Lihmelinyan
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » Fri 24 Nov 2017, 20:52

Based on a few posts I saw recently in another thread, I've been wondering something. How many of you aim to be able to pronounce your languages?

For me, it's a non-issue. The languages I create aren't meant to be spoken/used by any real people, only hypothetical ones, so it doesn't matter if I can physically pronounce them or not. Of course, I do aim to make them able to be spoken by human beings, but again, only hypothetical ones. I can't pronounce all natural human languages, so I figure I don't have to be able to pronounce my conlangs for them to be able to be spoken by (again, hypothetical) humans.

Forgive me if this has been discussed before; I don't remember that being the case, but I could, of course, be wrong.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » Fri 24 Nov 2017, 21:11

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote:
Fri 24 Nov 2017, 17:43
^I love patter songs too [:D] My favorite is "Signorina, un'altra volta" from The Barber of Seville: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbOMO_IfJCs (5:10 in this video)

This one is slower, but I like "Your Fault" from "Into the Woods". It's such a fun challenge getting five people in sync enough to perform it.
ixals
sinic
sinic

Post by ixals » Fri 24 Nov 2017, 21:12

shimobaatar wrote:
Fri 24 Nov 2017, 20:52
Based on a few posts I saw recently in another thread, I've been wondering something. How many of you aim to be able to pronounce your languages?

For me, it's a non-issue. The languages I create aren't meant to be spoken/used by any real people, only hypothetical ones, so it doesn't matter if I can physically pronounce them or not. Of course, I do aim to make them able to be spoken by human beings, but again, only hypothetical ones. I can't pronounce all natural human languages, so I figure I don't have to be able to pronounce my conlangs for them to be able to be spoken by (again, hypothetical) humans.

Forgive me if this has been discussed before; I don't remember that being the case, but I could, of course, be wrong.
Well shimo, I remember one of your conlangs you had around the time I joined the board. I don't know the name, but I think it was some kind of "Project XYZ". It was the one with practically every possible consonant on earth in it. [:P] So I knew you'd say it would be a non-issue for you, no way you could pronounce every word in that conlang. [:D]

I try to create a conlang with words I can pronounce but when it comes to pronouncing a whole text fluently, I don't really care about it. In Cissian for example, I can pronounce basically every word almost perfectly but if I were to read a sentence out loud, I couldn't get that done tbh. And I have no problem with not being able to do so.
Native: :deu:
Learning: :gbr:, :fra:, :por:, :pol:

Цiски a Central Slavic conlang
Noattȯč a future German conlang [on hold]
Tungōnis Vīdīnōs Proto-Germanic goes Romance [on hold]
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » Fri 24 Nov 2017, 21:38

ixals wrote:
Fri 24 Nov 2017, 21:12
Well shimo, I remember one of your conlangs you had around the time I joined the board. I don't know the name, but I think it was some kind of "Project XYZ". It was the one with practically every possible consonant on earth in it.
In all fairness, the version of the language I think you're talking about was made more than 3 years ago, when I had even less of an idea of what I was doing than I do now.
KaiTheHomoSapien
sinic
sinic

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » Sat 25 Nov 2017, 02:41

Dormouse559 wrote:
Fri 24 Nov 2017, 21:11
This one is slower, but I like "Your Fault" from "Into the Woods". It's such a fun challenge getting five people in sync enough to perform it.
[<3] Sondheim [:D]
shimobaatar wrote:
I have a rule that I don't use sounds in my conlangs that I can't pronounce myself. I understand how for some, that might not be so important, but I love to pronounce my conlang's words and speak the sentences (I imagine some day I will upload a recording of me reading a Lihmelinyan paragraph), so I won't add a sound if I can't say it myself. Of course regular sound patterns will result in some tongue twisters, but as for what phonemes to include, I make sure that I can pronounce them all, otherwise they will stay out of the inventory. I notice sometimes that people's conlangs are loaded with incredibly complicated IPA and I always wonder if they can actually pronounce all that [¬.¬]

(Lihmelinyan contains an extremely rare and bizarre voiceless bidental fricative, but this is a sound I originally thought I invented myself, so I can certainly pronounce it!)
Don't live to conlang; conlang to live.

My conlang: Image Lihmelinyan
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Sat 25 Nov 2017, 08:18

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote:
Fri 24 Nov 2017, 17:43

Ha ha!

I just went early 90s hip-hop this morning, and broke out the old fave by Tribe Called Quest "The Scenario".

Good Ole Busta Rhymes!
Rrrraaaooorrr! Rrrraaaooorrr!
Still like a dungeon dragon!

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c5/ed/74 ... 62100f.jpg
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Sat 25 Nov 2017, 08:47

elemtilas wrote:
Thu 23 Nov 2017, 03:26
Ahzoh wrote:
Thu 23 Nov 2017, 03:12
They're gonna turn the internet into what cable is like.
It could mean that they'll make it so you can't visit websites that make ISPs look bad or prevent you from having access to work around like VPNs set in countries with net neutrality.
I do agree with you on the actual issue. Axing net neutrality sounds like a clear win for Verizon et al and a clear loss for us.

I'm very much hoping that it won't end up like cable tv! Cable tv sucks. Apart from the local channels I could get free over the air, I can only stomach perhaps one or two of the paid channels. It doesn't help that most of those are snore-fest sports channels. The only channels I would actually miss if I cut the cable would be the world news channels. Cos Lord knows you can't trust the spinmeisters over at CNN & FOX to tell anything straight or to offer unopinionated news prepared by actual non-political journalists who actually know how to do journalism.
http://cmzone.vzbqbxhynotw9ion96xv.netd ... o-nose.jpg

Or is it more like:
http://corruptcamel.com/blog/wp-content ... henuts.jpg

Uff! This quandry makes me wonder what the cybernautical equivalent of Iron Clothes Skill kung fu might be?
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AnnualRipeLac ... ax-1mb.gif

Hmm. Pen pals, anyone? The pen is mightier than any sword, real, vorpal, or virtual. [:|]

De rebus televisionis coaxialis, The only things I used to watch regularly on cable tv was the series Rome, BBC news, Law & Order marathons on TNT, and Boomerang. Cable Internet was fast, sure, but not necessary.
I pretty much cut The Cable when I got divorced in 2010.

Too many dumb channels, too many channels, too much content that I had absolutely no time to watch EVAR, and I was still paying for it ‽‽‽ Tænchej nej. [¬.¬]

BTW, Cripes, it's almost 2018 already (‽‽‽)
[:x]
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Sat 25 Nov 2017, 09:40

Two Days Late~

Happy Thunksgiven, then!

I cooked a storm for my Son & I:
Spoiler:
Onion bagel nibbles w/ spinach-sour cream dip
Cornbread stuffing with diced sauteed parsnip, leek & celeriac
Mashed potatoes w/ sour cream and Viet scallions
Yam casserole (done in a saucepan stove-top. We flambéed the marshmallows on top - sa-weet Thanksgiving culinary pyrotechnics!)
Mushroom gravy (with coffee-mill ground Polish dried forest mushrooms - OMG! )
Steamed lemon-pepper and Chinese 5-spice Sparrowgrass w/ butter
Pasta shells w/ cheddar sauce (doctored up with extra grated leftover white mild cheddar, queso fresco, the kitchen sink, etc…)

I cheated on the bird & desserts (store bought mini punkin & apple crumb pielets [doppeltarts?]) and we got a juicy, crispy-skinned rotisserie chøcken - )
Ye aulde Egg Nog & Gopplecidre flowedeþ.

I did not have space or time to make the honeyed wax turnips, but, PRAISED BE!, local grocery store sold a half-pound of pre-peeled toinip chunks - HOORAY! Perfect for tomorrow's chill.
In a a word: YUMÞ !

BTW:
Who picked me for Pollyanna?

https://myarmoury.com/images/reviews/da ... nife_h.jpg
https://myarmoury.com/images/reviews/da ... nife_j.jpg

I need cultellos illos! [:3]

[<3] 2 All !
Ànradh
mayan
mayan

Post by Ànradh » Sat 25 Nov 2017, 14:35

shimobaatar wrote:

There aren't many phones that I'm interested in putting in my conlangs that I can't already pronounce... in isolation at least; once they start conspiring against me in combination, it's a different matter (one diachronically derived conlang ended up with a front-close rounded and nasalised vowel with a falling tone. Suffice it to say, allophony ensued.)
Regardless, I like the idea of being able to pronounce my conlangs at least as well as a foreigner might (stilted but recognisable), so I rarely allow my phonotactics to permit things I feel I'll struggle with unduly, unless I really like how it affects the character of the language.
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.
Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Creyeditor » Sat 25 Nov 2017, 15:18

Re: pronounceability
I usually have no problems with individual sounds, and often I can do the words in isolation. But the thing I am really concerned with, is that the intonation of my languages seems to always sound like either German or Indonesian. I find it really hard to come up with a foreign, yet naturalistic intonantion.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :fra: 4 :esp: 4 :ind:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Sat 25 Nov 2017, 17:33

I have contemplated :con: unpronounceable with my vocal apparatus. Especially 4D phonetics. Or insectoid/crustaceous crickety-clickings a la District 9 Poleepkwa & Geonosians.

But all my :con: are pronounceable to me and anyone else. They are used by with humans (yes, i kno: how boooring).
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd » Sat 25 Nov 2017, 18:19

As a priori conlang (in the philosophical sense) the system is prior to phonology ...
Besides, I have not really developed phonology, since all this time, but rather a combinatory of phonologies ...
One could just as easily add non-human phonology ...
Reyzadren
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Reyzadren » Sun 26 Nov 2017, 00:04

shimobaatar wrote:
I can already speak griuskant and pronounce all words with an authentic accent.

Now to practise it from sometimes sounding like English in a sentence.
Image Soundcloud Profile | Image griuskant conlang
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Sun 26 Nov 2017, 00:33

shimobaatar wrote:
I want my conlangs to be pronounceable by me.
For Adpihi, I can pronounce each of its phonemes, but not in every environment -- or, at least, not clearly in every environment.
This makes me think Adpihi should, for instance, allow the flapped-or-tapped alveolar rhotic only intervocalically, or such things.
In other words I still have to work out its phonotactics; and that will influence its morphology and its lexicon.
-------
Good question!
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Sun 26 Nov 2017, 07:53

I only want Vrkhazhian to be pronounceable, the other languages can be as difficult to pronounce as necessary.

Sometimes I worry that 35-37 phonemes is too many but I could chalk it up to being conservative.
Image Ӯсцӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image ʾEšd Yatvṛḵažaẇ (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
OTʜᴇB
roman
roman

Post by OTʜᴇB » Sun 26 Nov 2017, 14:16

One of the reasons I conlang is to keep my prescriptivism happy - because why complain at people using English incorrectly when you can have an entire language to control?

Kind of as a result of that underlying intention, I want not only for my conlangs to be speak-able by me, but also for it to be feasible for me to teach it to someone else so I can use it and point out mistakes and clever grammar usage in both my own and others' use of the language. A conlang is like a prescriptivist's paradise, and even when I'm just making it rather than trying to use it, it just feels nice being able to govern the rules with complete control.

Of course I have plenty of other reasons to conlang, but that one is a thing that somewhat defines my conlang style to an extent.
:con: : Dijo
:con: : Language 8 (Reviving Dijo)

BTW I use Arch
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Sun 26 Nov 2017, 16:22

OTʜᴇB wrote:
Sun 26 Nov 2017, 14:16
One of the reasons I conlang is to keep my prescriptivism happy - because why complain at people using English incorrectly when you can have an entire language to control?
That's actually one rationale I'd never considered or heard of before!

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Sun 26 Nov 2017, 17:07

Lambuzhao wrote:
Sat 25 Nov 2017, 17:33
.... 4D phonetics. ....
So how would that work?
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Mon 27 Nov 2017, 12:55

It annoys me that I can't find the specific tutorial for making rivers. It mentioned fractalizing, tributaries, and modifying the width of a path correspondingly. I see dozens of similar tutorials but not the specific damn one.
Image Ӯсцӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image ʾEšd Yatvṛḵažaẇ (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]