The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by elemtilas » Fri 12 Jan 2018, 03:16

!Help¡

Okay, now I've got your attention, I do need some help from you guys!

So, I've been interested for a while in looking for some good graphic novels. Could be either Western (European/American) or Eastern (manga, maybe shonen? if Japanese), or preferably suggestions for both styles.

What I'm interested in is good quality mythology (again, either eastern or western) or fantasy-adventure. Good quality art (preferably in colours) is a definite plus; good writing & style is a must. Not really interested in futuristic / SF / superhero genres.

Can anyone make some good suggestions? In all the used book shops around me are shelves full of this stuff, of course a lot of the manga is in Japanese which doesn't help me any!, but I've got no idea what to actually look for on all the stacks!

(Oh, and not Tintin, Asterix or classic Smurfs --- have already read a lot of those!)

Appreciation both mellifluous and eternal will naturally be showered sevenfold on those kind souls willing to lend a hand! While, equally naturally, literary vituperation heaped upon those unwilling to help! [;)]

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » Fri 12 Jan 2018, 04:11

This probably isn't what you're looking for, but when you say "manga" and "fantasy-adventure" and "mythology" and implied "easy to find", I have to think of Dragonball. I know the later parts of the manga and the DBZ anime get sci-fi/actiony, but the early manga is vaguely based off Journey to the West. It's not very serious, though, if that's what you're looking for.
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem » Fri 12 Jan 2018, 06:16

Looking at my shelf of graphic novels / manga, what stands out to me:

Bone (Jeff Smith) - I'd classify it as fantasy-adventure

Maus (Art Spiegelman) - Depressing, about World War II, but soooo good. Not quite in what you were asking for, but good enough for me to recommend it anyway

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (Hayao Miyazaki) - Fantasy/sci-fi adventure, and so much better than the movie (even though the movie's also good). Despite being technically sci-fi, the technology is much less a part of the plot than the characters doing stuff, in my opinion. I read it far more like a fantasy than a sci-fi, even though it is the latter, strictly speaking (and, to be fair, is ultimately something that drives the plot)

Y: The Last Man (Brian K. Vaughn) - I especially like the world-building, and trying to actually seriously tackle the premise, though it delves into some sci-fi simply by virtue of being set in what at the time was the near future
Conworld: Mto
:con: : Kuvian
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Fri 12 Jan 2018, 08:23

Watchmen. Not really mythology, but a really good graphic novel nonetheless. Also, more to your point... Look into Sandman stuff by Mr. Neil Gaiman. I haven't read it myself, but my God is there some mythos there!
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Sun 14 Jan 2018, 00:27

[<3] [<3] [<3]

Wow! Thanks for the excellent suggestions!

I think I will definitely be on the lookout for Nausicaa, Bone and Sandman.

Today's foray netted Maus. I'd seen it before in the stacks, but never really looked close to see what it was about. I think that'll be a goodie.

Also found Akaneiro & Heart of a Colt which appear to quite what I'm looking for. Also Spera and Errant Story. Not within the sought genre-soup, and not actually a graphic novel at all, I also picked up some Oor Wullie.

In return, and I've really only just started it myself, I'd recommend Habibi in return for all your help!

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » Wed 17 Jan 2018, 15:43

Been getting headaches at work lately. Not sure why. I've been drinking a lot more tea at work, so I'm wondering if that's somehow causing them?? (but I like this kind of tea, and would rather not give it up...) My only other thought is allergies, but it's the middle of winter and the temperature is single digits Fahrenheit outside, so I'm not sure what I'd suddenly be allergic to.
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Wed 17 Jan 2018, 16:01

Could be air pressure or dehydration.
Image Ӯсцӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Vṛḵažaẇ (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » Wed 17 Jan 2018, 18:59

Y'know, I hadn't even thought of dehydration. I've had problems with headaches from not drinking enough in the past, but it didn't even occur to me that it might be a factor this time, too. I should watch how much I drink and see if it helps.
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Wed 17 Jan 2018, 19:08

Well, it's more likely in dry times and winter is patently so.
Image Ӯсцӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Vṛḵažaẇ (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn » Wed 17 Jan 2018, 22:18

alynnidalar wrote:
Wed 17 Jan 2018, 18:59
Y'know, I hadn't even thought of dehydration. I've had problems with headaches from not drinking enough in the past, but it didn't even occur to me that it might be a factor this time, too. I should watch how much I drink and see if it helps.
And some kinds of teas are diuretic so there's that too.
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » Wed 17 Jan 2018, 23:47

I get headaches from stress semi-frequently, so that's another possibility.

In other news, I just got back from my phonetics class. We talked about the cot-caught merger, and I think that I finally understand it. Somehow, I had convinced myself that I had [ɒ] in both words, but after saying them both in a sentence together, which, for some reason, had never occurred to me before, I'm pretty sure I have [ɔ] and [ɑ] in "caught" and "cot", respectively. For anyone who might be interested, the sentence I came up with was "The thief (that) they caught stole a cot".
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn » Thu 18 Jan 2018, 03:14

shimobaatar wrote:
Wed 17 Jan 2018, 23:47
In other news, I just got back from my phonetics class. We talked about the cot-caught merger, and I think that I finally understand it. Somehow, I had convinced myself that I had [ɒ] in both words, but after saying them both in a sentence together, which, for some reason, had never occurred to me before, I'm pretty sure I have [ɔ] and [ɑ] in "caught" and "cot", respectively. For anyone who might be interested, the sentence I came up with was "The thief (that) they caught stole a cot".
I posted not too long ago in this thread that I also convinced myself I had the merger. Just turned out I pronounce caught and cot the same [xP]
Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » Thu 18 Jan 2018, 03:23

I have the cot-caught-khat merger! The words "cot", "caught" and "khat" all have the [ɑ] vowel for me.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 57,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Thu 18 Jan 2018, 03:47

Ahzoh wrote:
Wed 17 Jan 2018, 16:01
Could be air pressure or dehydration.
Years ago, it was a real revelation for me to neti/kweet my dry nasal passages with saline solution this time of year. And eyecup dry eyes as well. Sometimes, that would clear some pernicious headaches right up.
What relief!

Give it a shot!
:mrgreen:

BTW -
This is a kweeter:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-TcClscv53qY/U ... sucker.bmp
a.k.a. nasal aspirator, nose sucker, nasal bulb.
Very useful.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Thu 18 Jan 2018, 04:05

Lambuzhao wrote:
Thu 18 Jan 2018, 03:47
BTW -
This is a kweeter:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-TcClscv53qY/U ... sucker.bmp
a.k.a. nasal aspirator, nose sucker, nasal bulb.
Very useful.
Kweeter, eh?

Well, that's a new one on me!

But we live and we learn...

Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » Thu 18 Jan 2018, 13:09

Conlangs
Topics: 2525, Posts: 107642

In the year 2525 . . .
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 57,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Sat 20 Jan 2018, 11:29

I saw someone make something similar to this elsewhere on the forum... and thought i'd take a crack at it myself: Image. You know, for when a [+1] just ain't enough.

Feel free to re-use and re-host and/or petition for it to be added as a smiley or whatnot.
OTʜᴇB
roman
roman

Post by OTʜᴇB » Sat 20 Jan 2018, 17:28

Thrice Xandvii wrote:
Sat 20 Jan 2018, 11:29
I saw someone make something similar to this elsewhere on the forum... and thought i'd take a crack at it myself: Image. You know, for when a [+1] just ain't enough.

Feel free to re-use and re-host and/or petition for it to be added as a smiley or whatnot.
Oh hey, I was the one that did that! That must've been ages ago. Which thread did you find it in?
:con: : Current Project

BTW I use Arch
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Sat 20 Jan 2018, 17:53

elemtilas wrote:
Fri 12 Jan 2018, 03:16
!Help¡

Okay, now I've got your attention, I do need some help from you guys!

So, I've been interested for a while in looking for some good graphic novels. Could be either Western (European/American) or Eastern (manga, maybe shonen? if Japanese), or preferably suggestions for both styles.

What I'm interested in is good quality mythology (again, either eastern or western) or fantasy-adventure. Good quality art (preferably in colours) is a definite plus; good writing & style is a must. Not really interested in futuristic / SF / superhero genres.

Can anyone make some good suggestions? In all the used book shops around me are shelves full of this stuff, of course a lot of the manga is in Japanese which doesn't help me any!, but I've got no idea what to actually look for on all the stacks!

(Oh, and not Tintin, Asterix or classic Smurfs --- have already read a lot of those!)

Appreciation both mellifluous and eternal will naturally be showered sevenfold on those kind souls willing to lend a hand! While, equally naturally, literary vituperation heaped upon those unwilling to help! [;)]
Yipes! Watch out for that vituperation!!!

I recently got my son some of the newer Storyteller (Jim Henson) comix. The stories will be vaguely to super familiar (draws on German, Russian, Asian folklore).
The inks are good .

Also, I wanted to get my son & me some of them there Dark Crystal prequel comix.

Clearly, I've Henson on the brain. :roll: :roll: [:P]

Recently (no doubt influenced by the Standardized Test proctor~cockblockage of «when you have finished ur exam, you may sit quietly until the others have finished. No reading allowed» snarkhype :roll: ) I was looking into wordless comix.

I was reminded of Gon. Now, that's a 'manga' (I suppose?) I can sink my whittlers and grinders into.
Good, good inks IMHO.

the Age of Reptiles series by Delgado were great great wordless fun w/ nice nice well-crafted inks.
Also found some others I'm interested in… for purely academic (though not necessarily didactic) poiposes, of course:

The Only Child
The Arrival
SpaceDog
Owly
Blå
Blood Song
Kung Fu Cowboy: Zombie Killer
Love: The Tiger
Love: The Dinosaur

link below with authors of most of the above (and yet more options)

http://www.comicbookgrrrl.com/2015/01/2 ... ss-comics/

I think some of the ole Alien -v- Predator comix were quasi or all-but-wordless comix as well.

Uff. Am I off topic from dear Elem's request [>_<] [:$] [:x]

Anyways, been slowly amazoning a few to have on hand for the brain-exhausted pawadans something other than fuking
Spoiler:
PORTMANTEAU: fucking + puking {rhymes with rebuking}
color-by-number mandalas & día de los muertos calaveras (nothing against either; just sick of seeing 'em after testing).

A future :con: challenge could be to caption each box from a page of one of these sorts of comix. We did sort of this thing with someone's own comic, last year, mebbe (?)
W00T!
[:P]

PS:

Reminded of Truffault's wordless newspaper in his film adaptation of Fahrenheit 451

http://www.captures-editions.com/images ... ruiz/1.jpg
http://www.captures-editions.com/images ... ruiz/2.jpg

https://i0.wp.com/mattmadden.com/wp-con ... =800%2C437

Which effect I liked very very much
https://i2.wp.com/mattmadden.com/wp-con ... =600%2C332

And then I'm like Jeebus GrischtGrinkleGrampus!
All of ur dystopia R ours
[:'(]
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Sat 20 Jan 2018, 18:07

Okay.
Clearly I'm overreacting.

Some of ur dystopia R ours.
[:S]