The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by elemtilas » Thu 15 Feb 2018, 03:09

Frislander wrote:
Wed 14 Feb 2018, 11:19
And today is Ash Wednesday, and what's more the first time I have had an imposition of ashes on my forehead. Now to see if it'll stay there all day (probably).
It's okay if they wear off, I'm sure! Anyway, it's what's going on inside that counts.

There must be a story as to why this is your first time! Is it something you can share, or something private?

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
Frislander
runic
runic

Post by Frislander » Thu 15 Feb 2018, 17:39

elemtilas wrote:
Thu 15 Feb 2018, 03:09
Frislander wrote:
Wed 14 Feb 2018, 11:19
And today is Ash Wednesday, and what's more the first time I have had an imposition of ashes on my forehead. Now to see if it'll stay there all day (probably).
It's okay if they wear off, I'm sure! Anyway, it's what's going on inside that counts.

There must be a story as to why this is your first time! Is it something you can share, or something private?
Yeah, it's definitely gonna wear off a bit, and it was definitely gonna wash off in the shower, but that's fine, it stayed on all day (which apparently isn't necessary but some people recommend it).

As for there being anything "special" about this outside of it being my first time, there wasn't really, just that it was the first time I could make it since all previous years I've been in school that day.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Mon 19 Feb 2018, 01:37

Greetings!

Wishing all neographers here a happy and fruitful St. Mesrop's day!

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Mon 19 Feb 2018, 02:56

Surb Mashtots!

We wouldn't have that cray-cray Virmenian Alphabetian without him.

Praised Be!
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Fri 23 Feb 2018, 07:49

I feel like my language family is really progressing.
Image Ӯсцӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Vṛḵažaẇ (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Fri 23 Feb 2018, 12:29

Ahzoh wrote:
Fri 23 Feb 2018, 07:49
Among other places, Remember to keep test-driving new cogeners, cognate langs, and descendant dialects in the :con: Conversation Thread!
[:D]
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » Fri 23 Feb 2018, 15:11

Ahzoh wrote:
Fri 23 Feb 2018, 07:49
That's awesome to hear!
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » Sun 25 Feb 2018, 23:07

So I feel like I'm going to burn out. [:|]

Among the classes I'm taking this year, there's AP Literature, AP Calculus BC, AP Latin, AP Government & Politics, Philosophy, and then of course outside of school I'm studying Japanese. We also have an independent study project to present at the end of the year, the "Senior Project", that I originally intended to create an entirely unique conlang for, but now am thinking it's better to just use Lihmelinyan (while I don't actually start the official work on this until April, time is running out!). And I'm both nervous and incredibly excited to actually use my conlanging at school, but Lihmelinyan is so personal to me that I don't know if I want it subject to the scrutiny of educators (that's part of why I was thinking of creating a completely separate new conlang). We shall see...

On top of that I'm going to be hearing from colleges soon. A part of me does hope that once I figure out where I'm going I can relax a bit. I think some of the stress I'm feeling is apprehension about that.

Anyway, just felt like mentioning that. This is a key moment in my life and I want everything to be perfect [>_<]
Don't live to conlang; conlang to live.

My conlang: Image Lihmelinyan
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » Mon 26 Feb 2018, 16:54

I know the feeling. [:(] Best of luck on everything, but please try not to overwork yourself.
kiwikami
mind
mind
Location: the first star to the right and straight on 'till mid-afternoon

Post by kiwikami » Wed 28 Feb 2018, 19:25

Good luck hearing back from colleges, Kai! And with getting through it all - that's quite the courseload.
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » Wed 28 Feb 2018, 20:53

Thanks you guys! [:D] It's true, it's maybe a bit much; I did sort of feel like I had to cram it in this semester to take everything I wanted to take, but I think I can manage as long as I also take some time to relax. Looking forward to being done with high school, that's for sure :mrgreen:
Don't live to conlang; conlang to live.

My conlang: Image Lihmelinyan
Reyzadren
sinic
sinic

Post by Reyzadren » Wed 28 Feb 2018, 22:47

Interest check: Is anyone interested in a conlang magazine collab? All articles will be written in a conlang from each participant, then they are combined together into a single pdf in a tabloid-like style of TIME/National Geographic/Vogue.

Surely Esperanto/other auxlangs can't be the only ones with their own magazine [:D]
Image Soundcloud Profile | Image griuskant conlang
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Wed 28 Feb 2018, 23:03

Reyzadren wrote:
Wed 28 Feb 2018, 22:47
Interest check: Is anyone interested in a conlang magazine collab? All articles will be written in a conlang from each participant, then they are combined together into a single pdf in a tabloid-like style of TIME/National Geographic/Vogue.

Surely Esperanto/other auxlangs can't be the only ones with their own magazine [:D]
That would be cool, but my conlang Vrkhazhian is under massive reconstruction.
Image Ӯсцӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Vṛḵažaẇ (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn » Wed 28 Feb 2018, 23:28

Reyzadren wrote:
That sounds like a really cool idea!
Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox » Thu 01 Mar 2018, 00:03

Reyzadren wrote:

That sounds like a lot of fun! I would happily participate with my conlangs. If we do decide to make this paper, what sort of articles would we be writing? I would likely use Bàsupan, Lỏhondla, or Nǫǫ'bıch Sotł.
  • :con: Bàsupan, (Coming soon)
  • :con: Stellendor
  • :con: Chavajau,
  • :con: Oddúhath Claire,
  • :con: Molvanian,
  • :con: Some temporary toylangs such as Rh'ae, Brythónnyc Claire, and Koe'ez.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 » Thu 01 Mar 2018, 00:31

Reyzadren wrote:

Sure, why not? What subject(s) do you have in mind? There's quite a bit of daylight between NatGeo and Vogue.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Thu 01 Mar 2018, 03:48

Reyzadren wrote:

Absolutely interested!

If this project gets off the ground, it definitely sounds like something the LCS will want to know about for its zazzle storefront.

Reyzadren
sinic
sinic

Post by Reyzadren » Thu 01 Mar 2018, 23:01

Parlox wrote:
Thu 01 Mar 2018, 00:03
That sounds like a lot of fun! I would happily participate with my conlangs. If we do decide to make this paper, what sort of articles would we be writing? I would likely use Bàsupan, Lỏhondla, or Nǫǫ'bıch Sotł.
Dormouse559 wrote:
Thu 01 Mar 2018, 00:31
Sure, why not? What subject(s) do you have in mind? There's quite a bit of daylight between NatGeo and Vogue.
Anything, for now. There is a wide variety of topics found in newspapers and celebrity gossip magazines anyway, ranging from world news/science/culture/lifestyle etc. The thing is:

* It should use a conlang to write about stuff, not about describing the conlang itself.
* It ought to be something readable by the average (con)person with a (altworld/conworld) magazine, so preferably not things like articles from a linguistics journal.

As there seems to be some interest so far, I shall make a thread about this collab after a few days. Cheers, all.
Image Soundcloud Profile | Image griuskant conlang
Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox » Thu 01 Mar 2018, 23:08

Reyzadren wrote:
Thu 01 Mar 2018, 23:01
Parlox wrote:
Thu 01 Mar 2018, 00:03
Dormouse559 wrote:
Thu 01 Mar 2018, 00:31
Anything, for now. There is a wide variety of topics found in newspapers and celebrity gossip magazines anyway, ranging from world news/science/culture/lifestyle etc. The thing is:

* It should use a conlang to write about stuff, not about describing the conlang itself.
* It ought to be something readable by the average (con)person with a (altworld/conworld) magazine, so preferably not things like articles from a linguistics journal.
I could contribute daily/weekly/whatever quotes from my conworld, and maybe an occasional "news" article.
Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox » Fri 02 Mar 2018, 03:19

I just realized, my language Bàsupan would be very easy to give a top-bottom vowel harmony in a descendant language. I'm thinking of doing it. Though i'm not sure how realistic it is, given i have never heard of a triconsonantal root language that has vowel harmony of any kind.