The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Ælfwine
greek
greek

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Ælfwine » Thu 19 Apr 2018, 00:27

I have Aspergers and can confirm that I cannot stick to a conlang long enough to form anything out of it.

Although I've also been told I have ADD, so maybe it's that.
k1234567890y
runic
runic

Post by k1234567890y » Thu 19 Apr 2018, 01:11

poor Elf-friend...

but on the other hand, it is very common for people to have both autism spectrum disorder and ADHD
私のアツい人工言語活動!言カツ!始まります!!
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Thu 19 Apr 2018, 04:09

OTOH AS is often misdiagnosed as:
Narcissism
OCD
ADD/ ADHD

It has some signs (and/or symptoms) in common with each of those.

Both AS “patients” and ADD patients pay more attention to whatever they’re interested in than “normals” think is healthy.
Sometimes we keep paying attention to it when the “normal” thinks we should start paying attention to whatever THEY’RE interested in instead.
[irony] Now, obviously, that means we’re “sick”. [/irony]

Both Aspies and OCD sufferers keep on thinking about, talking about, and doing things, past the point that “normals” think we should have dropped the subject or whatever. And, both Aspies and OCD folk want things to be systematic and organized.
The differences are twofold, is my guess (I am not an expert; I’m just a previously-misdiagnosed Aspie):
1. The Aspie himself (usually, though she could be a “herself”) doesn’t suffer from his/her “fascination” or “fixation”; the OCD sufferer usually does eventually suffer from theirs.
2. The Aspie wants a system that makes objective sense, and if they achieve it, usually (at least some) other subject-matter-competent people agree; the OCD sufferer feels compelled to follow a system that often (usually, IIANM) not even they think makes sense.

Both narcissists and Aspies seem to not appropriately consider the thoughts and feelings of others.
The difference is, the Aspie would like to, but has major difficulty telling what others are thinking and feeling; while the narcissist just doesn’t care. For the narcissist, other people just aren’t important.

—————————————————————————————————————————————

I think that’s what my psychiatrist and psychologist told me thirteen years ago, when I was finally, at age 53, correctly diagnosed.
Edit: To be clear; I have been on the receiving end of each one of the misdiagnoses I mentioned, for up to four decades, or maybe more.
Last edited by eldin raigmore on Thu 19 Apr 2018, 05:55, edited 3 times in total.
k1234567890y
runic
runic

Post by k1234567890y » Thu 19 Apr 2018, 05:23

私のアツい人工言語活動!言カツ!始まります!!
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Thu 19 Apr 2018, 05:47

I don’t doubt it’s possible.
Maybe I have always been a narcissistic obsessive-compulsive attention-deficient Aspie.
My therapists don’t think so nowadays.
But even if I’m not one, that doesn’t mean there aren’t any.

I don’t understand how the authors of those articles distinguish AS+ADD from just AS or just ADD.
If there is hyperactivity, that would be different.

Of course, just because I don’t understand how they do it, doesn’t mean they’re not doing it right.

————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-

OTOH you probably guessed from my previous post that I’m one of those Aspies who wonder where neurotypicals get off thinking their nervous systems function correctly and ours don’t. We often follow logic when the average NT doesn’t. So, that makes us “abnormal”?

I think our problem is no more a disorder, than being trans or gay or black or female.

[irony]
We should cure all those people! Racism in the USA would be solved if we just bleached the skins of all the African-Americans!
And cure all gay people of their homosexuality! And all transgender folk of their gender-dysphoria!
And made all the women male —— oh, wait ...
[/irony]

In other words, I think Aspies’ problem is discrimination, not a disorder.
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Thu 19 Apr 2018, 16:15

Image Ӯсцӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Vṛḵažaẇ (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » Thu 19 Apr 2018, 17:06

I have mixed feelings about the whole "autism cure" issue. To be perfectly honest, I don't think there will ever be a cure, so in some ways I think the discussion is moot. On the other hand, I understand wanting to know where autism comes from and why it has suddenly become more prevalent, but I also think some of the results of this wanting to know, i.e. anti-vax BS, do more harm than good. I also recognize how difficult it must be to raise an autistic child (in a way that goes beyond them being a different race or sexuality) and wishing that child were "normal", but at the same time I realize that many autistic people would not wish to be another way.

Anyway, I'm possibly "on the spectrum" myself (though admittedly a mild case) and I'm bi (I've seen polls of LGBT people on another forum asking if they'd "press the button" that would make them straight and a lot of them said they would, but a lot of them said they wouldn't. I'm in the latter camp).

In other words, I don't have a clear answer on this, just: don't treat people badly because they're different from you. Sounds obvious and clichéd, but it's apparently very difficult for many.
Don't live to conlang; conlang to live.

My conlang: Image Lihmelinyan
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » Thu 19 Apr 2018, 17:16

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote:
Thu 19 Apr 2018, 17:06
On the other hand, I understand wanting to know where autism comes from and why it has suddenly become more common,
I don't think that autism itself has become more common, just that being diagnosed (no negative connotation intended) with autism has become more common.

It's like how, even though there have always been LGBT+ people, it seems like there are more than ever now, but only because awareness of certain identities is higher than ever, as is the acceptance of certain identities in some places, making more and more people comfortable with "coming out".

Personally, I'd rather we not know the cause of autism, if one even exists, because if we know what causes it, there will inevitably be people trying to "cure" it. The same goes for hypothetical causes of being gay, bisexual, transgender, etc.
KaiTheHomoSapien wrote:
Thu 19 Apr 2018, 17:06
In other words, I don't have a clear answer on this, just: don't treat people badly because they're different from you. Sounds obvious and clichéd, but it's apparently very difficult for many.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Thu 19 Apr 2018, 18:25

Got the two baby bearded dragons today:

My mum named one of them because she was the one who bought them for me as an early birthday present. So she named the one to the back of the tank in the photo. I have no idea where she got it from, because she doesn't watch Game of Thrones, nor does she read the books, but she went with Rhaegal. That immediately threw every single name I'd thought of out of the window, because I like to name pets with connected names, so I ended up naming the other one, the one to the front of the tank in the photo, Viserion (I briefly considered Drogon before thinking "nah, too much like 'Dragon'", which is the same reason my python didn't end up being called Typhon).

Threw a few crickets into their tank, letting them settle in for the moment. Might start handling them on and off in a few days, but they seem pretty tame already, if not a little skittish from time to time. Weighed them too, and they're so, so tiny. Rhaegal is 8 grams, and Viserion is 9 grams. Even combined, His Holiness, my other bearded dragon, weighs 25 times that! [:P] They are only 6 weeks old though.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » Thu 19 Apr 2018, 19:25

I saw a cute bearded dragon in a pet store the other day and thought of you. [:D]

I was in the store for an adoption event (with cats and dogs), and one of the dogs was just fascinated by all of the small animals they had in the store--the lizards, the ferret, the bunnies, and especially a parakeet. The two of them just stared at each other for ages.

Of course, she might've been contemplating what a good snack the parakeet would make...
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Sat 21 Apr 2018, 01:01

sangi39 wrote:
Thu 19 Apr 2018, 18:25
Weighed them too, and they're so, so tiny. Rhaegal is 8 grams, and Viserion is 9 grams. Even combined, His Holiness, my other bearded dragon, weighs 25 times that! [:P] They are only 6 weeks old though.
Do all the dragons live in the same tank? What are His Holiness's opinions of the new little tykes? Calm tolerance, affronted disinterest, late night snack, etc?

How many does this make now? Do they need a bigger environment as you (radically) increase the population?

And oo, I think we're going to need a new family portrait before long!

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Sun 22 Apr 2018, 11:55

elemtilas wrote:
Sat 21 Apr 2018, 01:01
sangi39 wrote:
Thu 19 Apr 2018, 18:25
Weighed them too, and they're so, so tiny. Rhaegal is 8 grams, and Viserion is 9 grams. Even combined, His Holiness, my other bearded dragon, weighs 25 times that! [:P] They are only 6 weeks old though.
Do all the dragons live in the same tank? What are His Holiness's opinions of the new little tykes? Calm tolerance, affronted disinterest, late night snack, etc?

How many does this make now? Do they need a bigger environment as you (radically) increase the population?

And oo, I think we're going to need a new family portrait before long!
Oh, no, I'm keeping Rhaegal and Viserion in their own tank, separate from His Holiness. I honestly don't think His Holiness would have an opinion on the two smaller ones though. He doesn't really even notice his own food unless a hand is holding it right in front of his face, but I'm not going to see how they interact with each other until the babies grow up a bit.

Right now that makes three bearded dragons, a royal python and a leopard gecko, and I'm sure something resembling a family portrait will go up at some point, but it will be like four or five photos combined into one [:P]

alynnidalar wrote:
Thu 19 Apr 2018, 19:25
I saw a cute bearded dragon in a pet store the other day and thought of you. [:D]

I was in the store for an adoption event (with cats and dogs), and one of the dogs was just fascinated by all of the small animals they had in the store--the lizards, the ferret, the bunnies, and especially a parakeet. The two of them just stared at each other for ages.

Of course, she might've been contemplating what a good snack the parakeet would make...
My mum's two dogs and her cat seem to show no interest at all in my reptiles in the rare occasion I let them into my room. The cat might occasionally pay attention to His Holiness, but not much or for very long.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox » Mon 23 Apr 2018, 04:43

English speakers are incredibly frustrating... I'm trying to explain to a relative that she is pronouncing Onehunga as /ʌnihʌŋʌ/, and not as /ʌnihʌŋga/. But for some reason she thinks there's a /g/ in Onehunga, and she keeps telling me that I "need to make it softer".
  • :con: Bàsupan, (Coming soon)
  • :con: Stellendor
  • :con: Chavajau,
  • :con: Oddúhath Claire,
  • :con: Molvanian,
  • :con: Some temporary toylangs such as Rh'ae, Brythónnyc Claire, and Koe'ez.
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » Mon 23 Apr 2018, 05:31

This is a problem you'll encounter with anyone unfamiliar with linguistics, not just English speakers.
alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » Mon 23 Apr 2018, 16:50

Most English speakers aren't consciously aware of the distinction between /ŋ/ and /ŋg/.
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » Mon 23 Apr 2018, 17:06

The fact that, at least in some areas, you can encounter one person who has [ŋ] in a certain word, but then turn around and encounter someone else who has [ŋg] in the same word, complicates things even more.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Mon 23 Apr 2018, 21:15

alynnidalar wrote:
Mon 23 Apr 2018, 16:50
Most English speakers aren't consciously aware of the distinction between /ŋ/ and /ŋg/.
A number of Caribbean Spanish speakers aren't aware that they are using a particularly resonant /ŋ/ in word final position for /n/.

dan /ðãŋ/

van /βãŋ/

que me den / ke me ðẽŋ/

:wat:
k1234567890y
runic
runic

Post by k1234567890y » Mon 23 Apr 2018, 23:58

is it possible that it is a human tendency to not distinguish the places of articulation of word-final nasals?
私のアツい人工言語活動!言カツ!始まります!!
Ànradh
mayan
mayan

Post by Ànradh » Tue 24 Apr 2018, 00:43

So, my Facebook spat up this quote from the Conlangery podcast today:
24 April 2012 at 20:59 ·
"I should say 'gender' not 'sex' as my Thai grammar has a section devoted to what transexuals should do."
"Yeah, I've heard Taiwan has a large number of interesting shows."
"Yes... and a rich vocabulary to accomodate [sic] those interesting shows."
I am still amused.
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Tue 24 Apr 2018, 00:47

alynnidalar wrote:
Mon 23 Apr 2018, 16:50
I think Americans are aware of the distinction, and are quite happy to poke fun at someone who has "ŋg" where usually they'd expect "ŋ". I mean, it's the quintessential NYC accent, maybe slightly exaggerated, that Long Islanders have a final /ŋg/. We also notice medial "ŋg" as well. (siŋger, Loŋg Island)

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera