The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Lambuzhao » Wed 08 Aug 2018, 20:36

shimobaatar wrote:
Wed 08 Aug 2018, 15:16

So… this is my 10000th post on the CBB.

I'm sure some of you have noticed that I've been counting down every post since 9990, and periodically since 9900. I've felt annoying doing so, but I like how those numbers look aesthetically.

This isn't a big accomplishment or something like that, since post count doesn't really mean anything. All I've done is post a lot, which I was able to do so much because I was out sick for two years of high school.

I'm still happy to have reached ten thousand, though, if only because it's a reminder, in a way, of the time I've spent with this community. I just realized that it's been almost a month since the 5th anniversary of me joining the board.

I've been focusing a lot on my writing lately, which isn't related to my conlanging or conworlding, and when I've tried to work on those things, I've found myself feeling dissatisfied with the results. Hopefully that won't be the case for very long.

Anyway, thank you all for five great years!

(Post #10000.)
Thank you for the positive & insightful, and above all, REGULAR comments!

You are a True Light in Darkness
Spoiler:
He he he: a little play on words with yer rank - W00T!
Keep up the good observations!

:mrgreen:
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Wed 08 Aug 2018, 20:40

Xonen wrote:
Mon 06 Aug 2018, 20:59
Lambuzhao wrote:
Sun 05 Aug 2018, 13:57
It was the perfect counterweight to the very cerebral and no less fun Civilization (which is in it's own 7th or 8th regeneration). :wat:
6th, apparently. Personally, I've been trying to complete my latest game on the 5th before I get it, but all kinds of stupid adult stuff has been getting in the way for the past... two years or so? [:S] Well, I guess that's something to look forward to when I retire.
Never have I been so happy to have been so wrong!
[:3]
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Wed 08 Aug 2018, 20:42

elemtilas wrote:
Sun 05 Aug 2018, 19:07
Lambuzhao wrote:
Sun 05 Aug 2018, 13:57
Intriguisting ~

I really cannot believe (sort of tickled) that Doom has enjoyed the longevity it has.
It was hands down one of the best shareware games $2-5 could buy back in the 1990s.

It was the perfect counterweight to the very cerebral and no less fun Civilization (which is in it's own 7th or 8th regeneration). :wat:
8‽‽

The last version I ever remember is 3! Must be in a time wharf or something.
Clearly I was wrong. As my corrector Xonen points out, it's in it's 6th iteration/regeneration/manifestation/hypostasis.
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » Thu 09 Aug 2018, 00:24

DesEsseintes wrote:
Wed 08 Aug 2018, 15:34
Ooh, I do hope you post some of your writing at some point, whenever you feel ready and/or in the mood for feedback.
Well, it's not really CBB-relevant, but I appreciate the sentiment.

DesEsseintes wrote:
Wed 08 Aug 2018, 15:34
Happy 10,000th Post!!!
gestaltist wrote:
Wed 08 Aug 2018, 15:40
Happy 10000 post-iversary. :D
KaiTheHomoSapien wrote:
Wed 08 Aug 2018, 18:36
It's not just that you post a lot; you enthusiastically engage with new conlangs and I think the way you respond to new members and their conlang posts encourages them to post more, as well as makes this site more active and welcoming. So it's definitely a worthy achievement [:D]
Lambuzhao wrote:
Wed 08 Aug 2018, 20:36
Thank you for the positive & insightful, and above all, REGULAR comments!
Thank you!
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Thu 09 Aug 2018, 01:25

k1234567890y wrote:
Wed 08 Aug 2018, 17:17
I feel like something evil for what happened between me and a member in ConWorkShop....
Hopefully nothing horrible. These things do happen.

I guess it's a good opportunity to fix what's broken!

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Thu 09 Aug 2018, 01:28

shimobaatar wrote:
Wed 08 Aug 2018, 15:16
So… this is my 10000th post on the CBB.

This isn't a big accomplishment or something like that, since post count doesn't really mean anything. All I've done is post a lot
Well, so many of those posts were positive commentary, queries or simply along the lines "hey I'm reading your work, keep it up!" A true light in the darkness --- I concur! Happy 10000!

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Sat 11 Aug 2018, 11:57

Bit late, but I'm with everybody else on Shimobaatar's 10,000th post, being a positive force on the Board [:)]

On a completely unrelated note, I should not be allowed to buy things [:P] I'm trying to get out of my overdraft now that I've paid my brother back (extra £150 a month for me, wooo!) and I want to go back to Iceland again next year for another couple of weeks with whatever money I can save. Yesterday, though, I spent waaayyy too much.

Skálmöld announced the release date for their fifth album, Sorgir, so I've pre-ordered that, along with a t-shirt and a hoodie (I did the same thing when they announced their fourth album Vögguvísur Yggdrasils), and I think that came to about £60.

I then found a present for my friend's birthday in two weeks which I think they'd love. They play a necromancer in their group's current DnD campaign, and my friend takes it pretty seriously, even going so far as to create a handmade version of something similar to the Necronomicon Ex Mortis from the Evil Dead films in which they can keep all of their character's stats, back story, etc. (which they've delightfully called the Necrofile), so a skull goblet seemed like a good fit. It only cost another £60.

On top of that, I finally bought a pair of boots that I've wanted for like a two years now. They cost around £200, so with Iceland last year and then having to pay my brother back, I've just not had the money to buy them. I mean, I technically don't now, but that didn't seem to matter last night.

So all in all, I've just spent a little over £300 in one night, ruining the last two months of my attempts to save money. Time to start again, but at least my next big spending spree won't be for another eight months.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » Sat 11 Aug 2018, 16:40

sangi39 wrote:
Sat 11 Aug 2018, 11:57
Bit late, but I'm with everybody else on Shimobaatar's 10,000th post, being a positive force on the Board [:)]
Thank you!
sangi39 wrote:
a handmade version of something similar to the Necronomicon Ex Mortis from the Evil Dead films in which they can keep all of their character's stats, back story, etc. (which they've delightfully called the Necrofile)
Pfft, hehe.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Sat 11 Aug 2018, 19:09

sangi39 wrote:

On a completely unrelated note, I should not be allowed to buy things [:P]

I've just not had the money to buy them. I mean, I technically don't now, but that didn't seem to matter last night.

So all in all, I've just spent a little over £300 in one night, ruining the last two months of my attempts to save money. Time to start again, but at least my next big spending spree won't be for another eight months.
I can really understand these
Edit: levee-breaking
power-binges after one has been very very frugal. [:P]

About a month ago, I felt such an urge coming on, like I do, but the power of penury does wonders to evaporate such impulses. [¬.¬]

O pecunia, velut luna, statu variabilis
semper crescis et decrescis…
…et decrescis, et decrescis…

Et tu, Bitcoin?
:roll:
Last edited by Lambuzhao on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 17:32, edited 1 time in total.
Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » Sat 11 Aug 2018, 22:26

Lambuzhao wrote:
Sat 11 Aug 2018, 19:09

I can really understand these dyke-breaking power-binges after one has been very very frugal.
Dyke-breaking? I really do hope you mean dike-breaking.

And congratulations on being the first poster to make 10,000 posts, Shimobaatar! You must feel the same way I feel when I reach a big milestone in the lexicon size of Kankonian! It's an accomplishment.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 57,500 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Sat 11 Aug 2018, 22:51

Khemehekis wrote:
Sat 11 Aug 2018, 22:26
Lambuzhao wrote:

I can really understand these dyke-breaking power-binges after one has been very very frugal.
I actually had to check that one, since I've always spelt it "dyke", regardless of the meaning, and there does seem to be some regional variation as to which spelling should be used. From what I can tell, here in the UK it almost always seems to be spelt with a "y" rather than an "i", especially in names, e.g. Offa's Dyke, while in the US it seems to be spelt with an "i" when referring to ditches and levees, but with a "y" when used as a derogatory term for lesbian.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » Sun 12 Aug 2018, 00:25

sangi39 wrote:
Sat 11 Aug 2018, 22:51
Khemehekis wrote:
Sat 11 Aug 2018, 22:26
Lambuzhao wrote:

I actually had to check that one, since I've always spelt it "dyke", regardless of the meaning, and there does seem to be some regional variation as to which spelling should be used. From what I can tell, here in the UK it almost always seems to be spelt with a "y" rather than an "i", especially in names, e.g. Offa's Dyke, while in the US it seems to be spelt with an "i" when referring to ditches and levees, but with a "y" when used as a derogatory term for lesbian.
Learned something new today! That must be my American bias showing. What country does Lambuzhao live in?
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 57,500 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » Sun 12 Aug 2018, 00:34

Lambuzhao's American.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Sun 12 Aug 2018, 13:57

Though a 'Murican, I swear on my dead Pharaoh that I have only seen it spelled 'dyke'.
Certainly, though, I could be subconsciously influenced by the name 'Dick van Dyke', whose name was emblazoned on the beginning of every episode of his eponymous comedy program.

I only meant another name for a construction used to block (tidal) water flow in a low-lying area.

I meant no misqueme, slight, slur, nor lambast. [:x]
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Sun 12 Aug 2018, 14:09

I did some quick 'n' dirty google searches.

Apparently, we have quite a few dikes (i.e. levees) in :us-pa:. Clearly my bad.

Nonetheless, we also have quite a few folks with surnames like 'Dykes', "Dykstras', and 'Van Dykes' in :us-pa: as well.
That, plus Dick Van Dyke, could have influenced my choice.

Also, I think this conversation is by far the most I've ever used the word in my entire life.
Think i'll just switch to 'levee' from now on.
Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » Sun 12 Aug 2018, 14:20

Lambuzhao wrote:
Sun 12 Aug 2018, 14:09
That, plus Dick Van Dyke, could have influenced my choice.
Me, too, I was also thinking Dick Van Dyke.

"It's a jolly 'oliday with Mary!" -- not recognizing a little Dutch boy sticking his finger in a dike. :roll: (As an American, I was not aware of this distinction in American spelling)

Oh look, a fall-out by-product of well-intentioned spelling reform.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
eldin raigmore
fire
fire

Post by eldin raigmore » Sun 12 Aug 2018, 17:16

I just assumed “breaking the dyke” all had something to do with a lesbian running out of money.
I had no idea “dyke” was derogatory. I thought it was just shorthand slang, like “guy” or “dude”.
Amy Bechdel’s comix may have influenced me.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Sun 12 Aug 2018, 17:37

eldin raigmore wrote:
Sun 12 Aug 2018, 17:16
I just assumed “breaking the dyke” all had something to do with a lesbian running out of money.
Once again, I did not intend it to be understood as such. I apologize that it could have been misunderstood as such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFDYuO53BUk
[:S]
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo » Sun 12 Aug 2018, 20:10

eldin raigmore wrote:
I had no idea “dyke” was derogatory. I thought it was just shorthand slang, like “guy” or “dude”.
It's a reclaimed slur: One of those words that's okay to use if you're a dyke yourself, but if you aren't one, then it's highly offensive.

(And even if you are a dyke, you should still be careful with the word and only use it to refer to folks you know are comfortable identifying that way. Same goes for other reclaimed slurs like "fag", "cripple", etc.)
My pronouns are <xie> [ʒiː] / <xer> [ʒɚ]

My shitty twitter
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Sun 12 Aug 2018, 21:01

eldin raigmore wrote:
The only dykes I've ever come across are the ones that hold back water. Hardly offensive that. Though I guess any word can be turned into a slur. What it comes down to, then, is do we choose to succumb or do we choose to reclaim our language from the spoilers.

I see it cal also be spelled "dike" which looks horribly wrong. Except when referring to the Greek goddess of moral justice, then Dike is entirely appropriate.