The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Khemehekis » Fri 31 Aug 2018, 01:30

It's a mockingly defensive way of saying a general description fits you specifically, with such accuracy that you feel violated. YMMV; it took me awhile to come up with that definition.
Oh, OK, thanks for the explanation.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 57,500 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » Fri 31 Aug 2018, 17:49

Yes, that's how I would interpret it as well. The phrase "just @ me next time" has a similar meaning. (in that case, you're jokingly implying that the other person is passive-aggressively referring to you specifically and are saying they should just specifically mention you--e.g. with Twitter's @username function--next time they want to call you out)
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn » Fri 31 Aug 2018, 18:07

Khemehekis wrote:
Thu 30 Aug 2018, 04:54
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018 ... -languages
An extreme language learner has a more-than-random chance of being a gay, left-handed male on the autism spectrum, with an autoimmune disorder, such as asthma or allergies.
All but one! [:P]
Frislander
runic
runic

Post by Frislander » Tue 04 Sep 2018, 20:43

All4Ɇn wrote:
Fri 31 Aug 2018, 18:07
Khemehekis wrote:
Thu 30 Aug 2018, 04:54
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018 ... -languages
An extreme language learner has a more-than-random chance of being a gay, left-handed male on the autism spectrum, with an autoimmune disorder, such as asthma or allergies.
All but one! [:P]
Nearly all but 1 (not sure if I still have the mild cat hair/dog allergy I had as a child).
Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » Wed 05 Sep 2018, 01:32

alynnidalar wrote:
Fri 31 Aug 2018, 17:49
Yes, that's how I would interpret it as well. The phrase "just @ me next time" has a similar meaning. (in that case, you're jokingly implying that the other person is passive-aggressively referring to you specifically and are saying they should just specifically mention you--e.g. with Twitter's @username function--next time they want to call you out)
Oh my God, I was just playing Scrabble today and I used the word ATS!

The actual play went down like this: My opponent had played ZAP earlier, and I had played QUEST, and then on my next turn, made it into INQUEST. Joining the P of ZAP and the T of INQUEST was an I, my opponent's word PIT. The U in INQUEST intersected with a CUNT I had made (I had warned my opponent beforehand that I had a dirty word in mind, but she encouraged me to play it -- later she played FAG, in full knowledge of my bisexuality; my housemate Aaron played FAG as well once, saying "You're going to hate me for this"). So I joined the C in CUNT and the I in PIT by making CETI (as in Tau Ceti). Going down with my E, I formed ZEE -- the American pronunciation of the twenty-sixth letter -- and going down with my T, I formed ATS -- "like 'He ats me a lot on Twitter'", I explained.

It was a great game. The game started off with several four-letter words in a row before I broke the rut with QUEST. I got to play TWEEN (and later BETWEEN), JINX, LIVID, VOODOO, RYA, and DUX, while my opponent played SOFT and later SOFTLY, NOIR, SE (as in "per se"), HYPE, and SIG. The game finished off with me using an R to spell RO -- the name of a conlang!

At our house, we don't play by the traditional Scrabble rules. We freely make our words go off the board, although there are no double/triple letter nor double/triple word score bonuses for off-the-board letters, of course. And with words free in space, we play until all the players have used up all their tiles. The word JINX, for instance, was entirely off the board, landing me 18 points, whereas if it had been on an area with a double letter score square and a triple word score square, it could have been worth a lot more.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » Fri 07 Sep 2018, 04:51

While I was taking Paratransit home from Recovery Innovations today, I saw a fire truck. I had my headphones on, but it was there right ahead of us. I took my headphones off and asked my driver where the fire truck was headed. She said it was probably just parked. Then she noticed a bunch of other fire trucks. She said they must be gathered by a fire that was right in that area.

Then she saw it. The fire was to our right. I looked to my right, and I saw lots of smoke smoldering from some trees. There was a wildfire during California wildfire season!
♂♥♂♀

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Fri 07 Sep 2018, 14:33

Khemehekis wrote:
Fri 07 Sep 2018, 04:51
While I was taking Paratransit home from Recovery Innovations today, I saw a fire truck. I had my headphones on, but it was there right ahead of us. I took my headphones off and asked my driver where the fire truck was headed. She said it was probably just parked. Then she noticed a bunch of other fire trucks. She said they must be gathered by a fire that was right in that area.

Then she saw it. The fire was to our right. I looked to my right, and I saw lots of smoke smoldering from some trees. There was a wildfire during California wildfire season!
Heh. Just one more example of California weirdness. Myeh, earthquake. Whatever. Myeh, forest fire. We're about due for one.

I'll take a nice big continent without all those pesky faults, and a mild wettish climate any time!

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Fri 07 Sep 2018, 21:10

My first week of university is over and it's been rather exciting. I'm taking Introduction to Severn Ojibwe as a part of it and now I can almost ask y'all to pass me 12 bannocks in it.
Image Ӯсцӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Vṛḵažaẇ (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
alynnidalar
roman
roman

Post by alynnidalar » Sat 08 Sep 2018, 03:03

Ooh! That's pretty cool.
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Sat 08 Sep 2018, 05:36

I'll have niishoshaap (piish) waapoos.
DesEsseintes
cleardarkness
cleardarkness

Post by DesEsseintes » Sat 08 Sep 2018, 14:20

Ahzoh wrote:
Fri 07 Sep 2018, 21:10
My first week of university is over and it's been rather exciting. I'm taking Introduction to Severn Ojibwe as a part of it and now I can almost ask y'all to pass me 12 bannocks in it.
Congrats, Ahzoh!

I remember you telling us you weren’t very optimistic about getting into uni, so I’m glad to hear you’ve made it.

And, Anishinaabemowin is a lovely language. [:D]
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Sat 08 Sep 2018, 16:19

It’s Anihshininiimowin in this dialect, which is even more of a tongue twister.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Mon 10 Sep 2018, 00:00

So, after Michael from Vsauce/Dong's rendition of a super long list of Prime Numbers, I ebbed into higher dimensions, allowable geometric solids in various dimensions, and then into something sort of simpler:
mathematical powers. Specifically,

1) Are there shorter (one-word) versions of "to the fourth power", "to the fifth power", etc., like 'squared', 'cubed'?

Apparently, the answer is yes, from a few centuries ago.
n2 to the second power squared
n3 to the third power cubed
n4 to the fourth power biquadrated (1756); tesseracted/hypercubed/quadric (attested on more math fora)
n5 to the fifth power sursolid (1756) ; ¿¿¿???
n6 to the sixth power square-cube (1756) ; ¿¿¿???
n7 to the seventh power second sursolid (1756) ; ¿¿¿???
n8 to the eighth power biquadrate-squared\ squared-biquadrate (1756) ; ¿¿¿???
n9 to the ninth power cube-cubed (1756) ; ¿¿¿???
n10 to the tenth power squared sursolid (1756) ; ¿¿¿???
n11 to the eleventh power third sursolid (1756) ; ¿¿¿???
n12 to the twelfth power squared square-cube (1756) ; ¿¿¿???
n13 to the thirteenth power ¿¿¿???
n14 to the forteenth power ¿¿¿???
n15 to the fifteenth power ¿¿¿???
n16 to the sixteenth power quaquadrate (Jeake) ; ¿¿¿???

The source for the bold entires above is a 1701 text by Samuel Jeake, titled A Compleat Body of Arithmetick, in Four Books, unless otherwise dated. Specifically, The Third Book - Of Cossicks.

https://books.google.com/books?id=zP7mA ... te&f=false

The powers in italic bold come from Dilworth's (1756) The Schoolmaster's Aʃʃiʃtant
https://books.google.com/books?id=0itBr ... id&f=false

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zenzizenzizenzic
[O.O]
Holy Neeps 'n' Tatties! what have I gotten myself into ‽ [:'(] [:'(] [:'(] [:'(] [:'(] [:'(]

2. Do other natlangs have shorthand versions of "to the nth power" similar to squared, cubed?

It seems this article from Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zenzizenzizenzic
seems to lead me more down that rabbit-hole.

[O.o] [o.O]

3. Have any conlangers done their math homework with regard to describing powers?
:wat: :wat: :wat: :?: :?: :?:
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Mon 10 Sep 2018, 00:42

Lambuzhao wrote:
Mon 10 Sep 2018, 00:00
2. Do other natlangs have shorthand versions of "to the nth power" similar to squared, cubed?
Finnish apparently uses the base number, appearing as a cardinal, followed by the exponent, appearing as an ordinal in the illative singular, e.g. kolme neljänteen, which is roughly equivalent to "three to the fourth (power)", as far as I can tell, where the potenssiin (illative singular of potenssi, "power") is implicit, as in English.

It seems that most languages that I've looked at so far have roughly followed the trend of "x to the power of n" or "x to the nth power", dropping the "power" to shorten the phrase down, which happens in English too ("three to the fourth", for example). If there are languages with dedicated terms for powers (other than "squared" and "cubed") they would appear to be quite rare.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
ixals
sinic
sinic

Post by ixals » Mon 10 Sep 2018, 01:02

German simply says "x hoch n" ("x high n"). Probably because n is written in a higher position compared to x.
Native: :deu:
Learning: :gbr:, :fra:, :por:, :tur:

Цiски a Central Slavic conlang
Noattȯč a future German conlang [on hold]
Tungōnis Vīdīnōs Proto-Germanic goes Romance [on hold]
Aszev
admin
admin

Post by Aszev » Mon 10 Sep 2018, 14:34

This is the first time I've heard about to the xth power. My new knowledge of the day, I suppose.

In Swedish it's more reminiscent of German, x² is x upphöjt till två, i.e. 'x raised/lifted up to two'.
Sound change works in mysterious ways.

Image CE
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Mon 10 Sep 2018, 14:45

sangi39 wrote:
Mon 10 Sep 2018, 00:42
Lambuzhao wrote:
Finnish apparently uses the base number, appearing as a cardinal, followed by the exponent, appearing as an ordinal in the illative singular, e.g. kolme neljänteen, which is roughly equivalent to "three to the fourth (power)", as far as I can tell, where the potenssiin (illative singular of potenssi, "power") is implicit, as in English.
Intriguisting. :wat:
Spanish does/can do pretty much the same with their apparent cognate potencia.

It seems that most languages that I've looked at so far have roughly followed the trend of "x to the power of n" or "x to the nth power", dropping the "power" to shorten the phrase down, which happens in English too ("three to the fourth", for example). If there are languages with dedicated terms for powers (other than "squared" and "cubed") they would appear to be quite rare.
exponents in the illative (wooden brain-wheels creaking into motion). Wunder which case I might use for my :con: Rozwi (¿¿??).

Mebbe some kind of reflexive construction somehow?

n RFLX.ABL NUM.adv

(in clunky English)
a number {multiplied}by itself X times
Hmmm…

ovai žeiččeo
two RFLX.SG.DIST
Lit. two times itself = 2 to the 2nd power

ovai žeičoin
two RFLX.DU.DIST
two by two selves = 2 to the 3rd power

ovai žieččeo zeošeo
two RFLX.PL.DIST three.DIST
two by three selves = 2 to the 4th power

[O.O]

I might use the ordinal with žieččeo and higher powers (4th…nth), because, ovai <whatever> zeošeo could me misunderstood as a simple multiplication instead of cossics.

ovai žeiččeo zewan
two RFLX.SG.DIST three.ORD
two by its third self = 2 to the 4th power

[o.O] :?:

Something to continue tinkering with.

Thanks again, Sangi. [:O]
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Mon 10 Sep 2018, 15:00

Aszev wrote:
Mon 10 Sep 2018, 14:34
This is the first time I've heard about to the xth power. My new knowledge of the day, I suppose.

In Swedish it's more reminiscent of German, x² is x upphöjt till två, i.e. 'x raised/lifted up to two'.
:idea:
W00T!

And there goes a nice scaffolding for Sadrås, though they might use the ordinals here -

x öpphibvght tuo åtre 'x lifted up to {the} second'

Hmmmm…

I wonder if
x sjöpphibvght tüc Lit. 'x lifted up by itself twice' actually means 'x to the 3rd' (¿¿??)

[O.o] Image

Aszev, Tænchej müc / Tack så mycket! :mrgreen:
Reyzadren
sinic
sinic

Post by Reyzadren » Mon 10 Sep 2018, 23:15

In that other natlang that I speak, 2^3 is glossed as "2 power 3".

My conlang expresses powers in a similar manner of 3 words. 2^3 is glossed as "2 mathspower 3". Ie, "mathspower" is not the same word as regular "power".
Image Soundcloud Profile | Image griuskant conlang
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Tue 11 Sep 2018, 03:16

Lambuzhao wrote:
So, after Michael from Vsauce/Dong's rendition of a super long list of Prime Numbers, I ebbed into higher dimensions, allowable geometric solids in various dimensions, and then into something sort of simpler:
mathematical powers. Specifically,

1) Are there shorter (one-word) versions of "to the fourth power", "to the fifth power", etc., like 'squared', 'cubed'?

Apparently, the answer is yes, from a few centuries ago.
n2 to the second power squared
n3 to the third power cubed
n4 to the fourth power biquadrated (1756); tesseracted/hypercubed/quadric (attested on more math fora)
n5 to the fifth power sursolid (1756) ; ¿¿¿???
n6 to the sixth power square-cube (1756) ; ¿¿¿???
Interesting tidbit for squirrelling away! What I can add:

Moor's Arithmetick of 1660 has a table of SQUARES, CUBES, SQUARED SQUARES, SQUARE CUBES & CUBED CUBES.

Phillippes's Mathematical Manual has many interesting tables, but sadly doesn't mention powers.

Encyclopedia Britannica of 1771 lists ROOT, SQUARE, CUBE, BIQUADRATE, SURSOLID, CUBE SQUARED, SEVENTH, EIGHTH & NINTH powers.

None of these come right out and say "A 'to the xth'" however. Etymonline attributes that phraseology to 1852.
3. Have any conlangers done their math homework with regard to describing powers?
:wat: :wat: :wat: :?: :?: :?:
In Talarian mathematics, they call this hupparahattan, leaping above:

23 = twwo hohocme = two (leaping) by threes
34 = trayan limtellorme = three (leaping) by fours

They don't use superscripts to denote involution, but rather some kind of symbol that's above my paygrade to understand!

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera