The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
User avatar
Ahzoh
korean
korean
Posts: 6181
Joined: Sun 20 Oct 2013, 01:57
Location: Toma-ʾEzra lit Vṛḵaža

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Ahzoh » Wed 12 Sep 2018, 20:57

Had my Ojibwe class, now I can ask and answer "how many..?" questions.

Aan tahkisin ashkipwaawan? (How many potatoes?)
Peshiko ashkipwaaw... (There is one potato/the potato is alone)

Can someone gloss this?
Image Ӯсцӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Vṛḵažaẇ (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
User avatar
Lambuzhao
earth
earth
Posts: 7622
Joined: Sun 13 May 2012, 01:57

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Lambuzhao » Sat 15 Sep 2018, 11:45

elemtilas wrote:
Tue 11 Sep 2018, 03:16

In Talarian mathematics, they call this hupparahattan, leaping above:

23 = twwo hohocme = two (leaping) by threes
34 = trayan limtellorme = three (leaping) by fours

They don't use superscripts to denote involution, but rather some kind of symbol that's above my paygrade to understand!
Aha! Someone did their homework.
[+1]

Leaping, huh? Intriguisting idea… [B)]
User avatar
Lambuzhao
earth
earth
Posts: 7622
Joined: Sun 13 May 2012, 01:57

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Lambuzhao » Sat 15 Sep 2018, 11:53

Ahzoh wrote:
Wed 12 Sep 2018, 20:57

Peshiko ashkipwaaw... (There is one potato/the potato is alone)

Can someone gloss this?
No, but I bet that's one sad spud. [:'(]

Makes me also consider, ponder and otherwise commence ruminations about what would have had to have been the circumstances for an Niswi-mishkodewin ↔︎ Tihuantinsuyu Trade Network by which the Ojibwe could have acquired potatoes (Solanum tuberosum) from South America ?? This would be without any post-Columbian European interference, to make things intriguisting. [;)]

And to further imagine that there were/are/will come to be an ∞ of Earths where this is the de facto case in some hue/degree or another… wow~ thank you Multiverse. :wat: [>_<] :wat:
User avatar
Lambuzhao
earth
earth
Posts: 7622
Joined: Sun 13 May 2012, 01:57

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Lambuzhao » Sat 15 Sep 2018, 12:23

Ahzoh wrote:
Wed 12 Sep 2018, 20:57
Had my Ojibwe class, now I can ask and answer "how many..?" questions.

Aan tahkisin ashkipwaawan? (How many potatoes?)
Peshiko ashkipwaaw... (There is one potato/the potato is alone)

Can someone gloss this?
PS:
Aanii
STill cannot gloss the above, but asking/answering "how much/how many" of an item is an important step on the hierarchy of acquisition.

[+1] Magniloquence [:D]
Minogame!
That's good!
I believe that's what that means
User avatar
Ahzoh
korean
korean
Posts: 6181
Joined: Sun 20 Oct 2013, 01:57
Location: Toma-ʾEzra lit Vṛḵaža

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Ahzoh » Sat 15 Sep 2018, 19:46

Lambuzhao wrote:
Sat 15 Sep 2018, 11:53
Makes me also consider, ponder and otherwise commence ruminations about what would have had to have been the circumstances for an Niswi-mishkodewin ↔︎ Tihuantinsuyu Trade Network by which the Ojibwe could have acquired potatoes (Solanum tuberosum) from South America ?? This would be without any post-Columbian European interference, to make things intriguisting. [;)]
Well a lot of Ojibwe words have become lost since colonization, so neologisms have to made up. I only suspect that potato in English is really "[something] egg" in Ojibwe because the word for egg is "waaw" and I wouldn't be surprised of such compounds given the morphology of the language.
Image Ӯсцӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Vṛḵažaẇ (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
User avatar
sangi39
moderator
moderator
Posts: 3113
Joined: Thu 12 Aug 2010, 00:53
Location: North Yorkshire, UK

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by sangi39 » Tue 18 Sep 2018, 21:59

I've just spent the last 20 minutes trying to figure out if I've just chipped a tooth or if the one filling I have has fallen out, because I've honestly forgotten where it is [:P]

The tooth that currently has a chip in it is my right second maxillary premolar, while the filling was either in that tooth, or on the opposite side in the left second maxillary premolar, and for the life of me I can't remember which one.

I'm pretty sure at the moment the filling has come out, but not 100% sure [:P]
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
User avatar
Lao Kou
korean
korean
Posts: 5661
Joined: Sun 25 Nov 2012, 10:39
Location: 蘇州/苏州

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Lao Kou » Thu 20 Sep 2018, 03:57

So as not to derail the original thread:
DesEsseintes wrote:
Tue 18 Sep 2018, 05:52
I want to see humanoid insects riding dragonflies. [:D]
Edit: Speaking of dragonflies, the weather is hot and steamy in Shanghai at the moment, and the dragonflies are out in swarms. They must love this weather.
I think dragonflies are a folksy way of gauging barometric pressure, which means it's going to rain. Whatevs, my actual barometer-barometer keeps indicating rain, as does my weather service computer bar, and yet nothing ever happens (we did have thunderstorming drenchings at 2AM a few nights ago -- didn't break the humidity, though). It's also rather soupy here in Suzhou ("Shanghai's backyard"), which sucks as, out of decorum, I don't wear shorts to class.

C'mon, Heavenly King (天王), the autumnal equinox (and mooncake season) is upon us. Get with the program!
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
User avatar
DesEsseintes
cleardarkness
cleardarkness
Posts: 4645
Joined: Sun 31 Mar 2013, 12:16

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by DesEsseintes » Thu 20 Sep 2018, 04:32

Lao Kou wrote:
Thu 20 Sep 2018, 03:57
It's also rather soupy here in Suzhou ("Shanghai's backyard")
snigger

Significant other likes to liken the air to “pea soup”, which is rather apt.
C'mon, Heavenly King (天王), the autumnal equinox (and mooncake season) is upon us. Get with the program!
Amen.
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness
Posts: 10691
Joined: Fri 12 Jul 2013, 22:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by shimobaatar » Sat 22 Sep 2018, 03:11

Do you remember…

the 21st night of September?
User avatar
Dormouse559
moderator
moderator
Posts: 2638
Joined: Sat 10 Nov 2012, 20:52
Location: California

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Dormouse559 » Sat 22 Sep 2018, 04:34

Love was changing the minds of pretenders. [o.O] [<3] [:D]
User avatar
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan
Posts: 1777
Joined: Sat 01 Mar 2014, 07:19

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by All4Ɇn » Sat 22 Sep 2018, 05:07

Dormouse559 wrote:
Sat 22 Sep 2018, 04:34
Love was changing the minds of pretenders. [o.O] [<3] [:D]
I never understood the second line and I figured you were joking about it. Didn't realize that was the actual line!
User avatar
Lao Kou
korean
korean
Posts: 5661
Joined: Sun 25 Nov 2012, 10:39
Location: 蘇州/苏州

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Lao Kou » Sat 22 Sep 2018, 06:06

shimobaatar wrote:
Sat 22 Sep 2018, 03:11
Do you remember, the 21st night of September?
Dormouse559 wrote:
Sat 22 Sep 2018, 04:34
Love was changing the minds of pretenders.
Drats, where did I leave my sequin pantsuit?

(I love this song, but if I'm honest with myself, I mumbled my way through all the lyrics and then ba-dee-ya'ed it on out at the refrain, be it in a dorm hallway, a car at a stoplight, or an actual dance floor. Thanks for rendering them intelligible.)
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon 19 Sep 2011, 18:37

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Salmoneus » Sat 22 Sep 2018, 16:45

DesEsseintes wrote:
Thu 20 Sep 2018, 04:32
Lao Kou wrote:
Thu 20 Sep 2018, 03:57
It's also rather soupy here in Suzhou ("Shanghai's backyard")
snigger

Significant other likes to liken the air to “pea soup”, which is rather apt.
It's the traditional metaphor for London air conditions prior to 1956. Most often found in the form "a pea souper", meaning a bout of heavy fog.

Indeed, wikipedia even has an entry for "pea soup fog" - a synonym for what was known technically as 'London fog' (even when not in London), or previously vernacularly as a "London particular" (from having the same colour and thickness as a type of sherry)*, and what would later be termed 'smog'.

The first attestation is apparently by John Sartain in 1820.

And now I also learn, a "Pea Souper" is the name for a type of machine that makes artificial smog from dry ice on film sets...


*due to a confusion of the two metaphors, 'London particular' came to be used as a name for a type of actual pea soup...
User avatar
Dormouse559
moderator
moderator
Posts: 2638
Joined: Sat 10 Nov 2012, 20:52
Location: California

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Dormouse559 » Sat 22 Sep 2018, 23:56

All4Ɇn wrote:
Sat 22 Sep 2018, 05:07
I never understood the second line and I figured you were joking about it. Didn't realize that was the actual line!
Well, as one of the the song's co-writers said, "Never let the lyric get in the way of the groove". [B)]

Lao Kou wrote:
Sat 22 Sep 2018, 06:06
Drats, where did I leave my sequin pantsuit?
*Looks down at sequin pantsuit* Haven't a clue. :roll:
User avatar
Lambuzhao
earth
earth
Posts: 7622
Joined: Sun 13 May 2012, 01:57

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Lambuzhao » Sun 23 Sep 2018, 01:34

Enough with the pea soup, already!
Enough with the pant-suits!
(adjusts dashiki)

…While chasing the clouds away
[:)]
BTW, it is just a magically cool and gorgeous September night!!!
User avatar
Lambuzhao
earth
earth
Posts: 7622
Joined: Sun 13 May 2012, 01:57

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Lambuzhao » Sun 23 Sep 2018, 01:49

Ahzoh wrote:
Sat 15 Sep 2018, 19:46
Lambuzhao wrote:
Sat 15 Sep 2018, 11:53
Makes me also consider, ponder and otherwise commence ruminations about what would have had to have been the circumstances for an Niswi-mishkodewin ↔︎ Tihuantinsuyu Trade Network by which the Ojibwe could have acquired potatoes (Solanum tuberosum) from South America ?? This would be without any post-Columbian European interference, to make things intriguisting. [;)]
Well a lot of Ojibwe words have become lost since colonization, so neologisms have to made up. I only suspect that potato in English is really "[something] egg" in Ojibwe because the word for egg is "waaw" and I wouldn't be surprised of such compounds given the morphology of the language.
Interesting possible reference to the egg :wat: . Almost half way round the world, a floral cousin to the potato receives the name 'eggplant' in English, due to its white, goose-egg shaped fruit.
User avatar
Lambuzhao
earth
earth
Posts: 7622
Joined: Sun 13 May 2012, 01:57

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Lambuzhao » Sun 23 Sep 2018, 22:49

sangi39 wrote:
Tue 18 Sep 2018, 21:59
I've just spent the last 20 minutes trying to figure out if I've just chipped a tooth or if the one filling I have has fallen out, because I've honestly forgotten where it is [:P]

The tooth that currently has a chip in it is my right second maxillary premolar, while the filling was either in that tooth, or on the opposite side in the left second maxillary premolar, and for the life of me I can't remember which one.

I'm pretty sure at the moment the filling has come out, but not 100% sure [:P]
I feel ur pain.
I think I lost a filling somewhere from one of my molars, and therefore really cold foods have been off my menu lately. And sometimes I get a twinge from hot liquids as well. Uy! [:'(]

My sister also broke a tooth and is in the process of getting it cemented.
Uff! No fun [:(] [:'(]
User avatar
sangi39
moderator
moderator
Posts: 3113
Joined: Thu 12 Aug 2010, 00:53
Location: North Yorkshire, UK

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by sangi39 » Mon 24 Sep 2018, 18:16

Lambuzhao wrote:
Sun 23 Sep 2018, 22:49
sangi39 wrote:
Tue 18 Sep 2018, 21:59
I've just spent the last 20 minutes trying to figure out if I've just chipped a tooth or if the one filling I have has fallen out, because I've honestly forgotten where it is [:P]

The tooth that currently has a chip in it is my right second maxillary premolar, while the filling was either in that tooth, or on the opposite side in the left second maxillary premolar, and for the life of me I can't remember which one.

I'm pretty sure at the moment the filling has come out, but not 100% sure [:P]
I feel ur pain.
I think I lost a filling somewhere from one of my molars, and therefore really cold foods have been off my menu lately. And sometimes I get a twinge from hot liquids as well. Uy! [:'(]

My sister also broke a tooth and is in the process of getting it cemented.
Uff! No fun [:(] [:'(]
Mine's not been doing too badly. Been trying out hot food, cold drinks, salty and sweet stuff, but it's more of an inconvenient place for things to get stuck so far. The main thing is that even now I'm still not sure if it's a filling that's come out or a different tooth that's chipped [:P]
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
User avatar
eldin raigmore
fire
fire
Posts: 6186
Joined: Sat 14 Aug 2010, 18:38
Location: SouthEast Michigan

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by eldin raigmore » Mon 24 Sep 2018, 21:49

Two related questions.
1). Is there such a thing as aging-related dyslexia?
2). Did anyone besides me ever misread it as “Misnomer Murders” instead of “Midsomer Murders”?
User avatar
Lambuzhao
earth
earth
Posts: 7622
Joined: Sun 13 May 2012, 01:57

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Lambuzhao » Sat 29 Sep 2018, 16:10

I think Sangi said he had some data recovery issues recently.
Well, I just joined the fold.

I think a huge-arse SMART Notebook file overwrit something in my 64GB USB drive.
{cue TAPS music}

I have about 9-12 yrs worth of teaching material there, including ppts, games, woowads of lesson plans, etc, which I will need in coming days.
[:(] [:'(]

I tried to be proactive and drive into center-city to the only Data Recovery business with 24 hr a day hours of business. The place was locked up tighter than Fort Knox {¿¿dos equis in Knoxx ??} [>:(] And, I hit right into a median berm making a lefty onto Broad street at 5:30 am.
All too used to driving Ford Exploder that would've just coasted over such a meagre obstacle with a slightest *bimp*.
My new Gutless Supreme (a.k.a. Chevrolet Sonic) ate the entire berm for breakfast to the tune of $200 in tire replacements, alignment, balancing. and hub re-smoothing (or whatever its called). Not fun, people. [¬.¬] [¬.¬] [¬.¬]

Of course, right on the eve of (A) when Interim grades are due, and (B) when traditionally, the vice-admin comes snooping around, looking to give an observation, all snicker-snack and razzrezz to my lesson plans and dignity.
[}:(]

And admin expects all sorts of Bugs 'n' Daffy «Show of Shows, Hit the Lites, This is It, Nite of Nites» level Tony-award winning didactic enrichment with all manner of bells, whistles, widgets, and a family credenza thrown in, when they come to my
humble classroom. If I don't get this fudging USB-drive fixed, all their gonna get is "Steamboat Willie" w/ scintillating Gameboy 8-bit black 'n' grey graphics.

And maracas.

By the by, would anyone have a good +20 spell against an Agatha Trunchbull-level cacodæmon?
Just in case the observation goes less than copacetic... :roll:
:wat:

On a positive note, my indoor sill-garden is brimming with scallions, wild garlic (Allium vineale), Asian garlic chives, daikonlets (¿daikonettes? ¿daikonchan?), and another flush of gobo sprouts (burdock sprouts, that is) is making their debut [:P] [:P] [:P]

Y'know, I should be conlanging this ranting carpification, the whole fudging lot (!!) [>_<]
Post Reply