The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Lao Kou
korean
korean

Re: The Quintessential 5th Conversation Thread

Post by Lao Kou » Sat 09 Dec 2017, 04:44

Ear of the Sphinx wrote:
Tue 29 Mar 2011, 14:47
Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.
I didn't realize Thrice was a brinded cat. [B)]
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Sat 09 Dec 2017, 05:46

Only once per year, then I change back into a conlanger.
shimobaatar wrote:
Thu 07 Dec 2017, 22:11
Somehow I got unsubscribed from the Lexember thread. Has anyone encountered any similar problems?
No, I haven't had such problems since the forum switched over. Maybe you clicked the link by accident at some time while scrolling on mobile or somesuch?
Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » Sat 09 Dec 2017, 06:53

He may not have a lot of traction in the anglophone world, save die-hard fans. I, in fact, only knew of him a few years back via TV5 Monde. Not certainly a style of music I would regularly listen to at length or with pleasure, but OMG, there was a concert on TV5 Monde several months back, and he rocked it on out for a good two hours plus encores. I was mesmerized by his performance (in his 70s?!). Frequently compared to Elvis, I think of him as more Johnny Cash in terms of coolness. And cooler as the years went on. I hate tats, but he gets a free pass -- he carried them off.

France mourns today, I join her. A total dewd has passed.

道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Thrice Xandvii
darkness
darkness

Post by Thrice Xandvii » Sat 09 Dec 2017, 08:27

...who is that?
Lao Kou
korean
korean

Post by Lao Kou » Sat 09 Dec 2017, 08:36

Thrice Xandvii wrote:
Sat 09 Dec 2017, 08:27
who is that?
Johnny Hallyday. French icon.

I've mentioned elsewhere in the forum now deceased celebrities, namely 張國榮 (Leslie Cheung) and 梅豔芳 (Anita Mui), for whom a posthumous blibbit registers little because we live in other places in the world.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Evynova
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Evynova » Sat 09 Dec 2017, 11:39

He's extremely well known in France, and over here in Belgium. He's often compared to a rock and roll legend, but he's fairly controversial. Some people completely adore him and almost worship him, while others have this misconception that only uneducated, or poor folk listen to him; whenever you bring up the name Johnny Hallyday, it's people like these that they picture in their heads.

Though of course any death is a sad event, especially for the family, I never could get myself into his music and I can't say that I'm particularly affected by his loss. I've had a thought about his family and close ones, but that was it.

For those who've never heard any of his songs, he's especially famous for this one hit, though I really liked this song when I was younger.
Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Creyeditor » Sat 09 Dec 2017, 12:37

He is kind of well known in Germany, espcially to older generations, but it seems for different songs.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » Sat 09 Dec 2017, 17:48

Thrice Xandvii wrote:
Sat 09 Dec 2017, 05:46
shimobaatar wrote:
Somehow I got unsubscribed from the Lexember thread. Has anyone encountered any similar problems?
No, I haven't had such problems since the forum switched over. Maybe you clicked the link by accident at some time while scrolling on mobile or somesuch?
Well, I don't go on the CBB on my cellphone, so I don't think that's it. Thanks for the theory, though.
Frislander
runic
runic

Post by Frislander » Sat 09 Dec 2017, 18:03

I can't be the only one who's still waiting eagerly for Doug Ball to release a comprehensive grammar of Skerre. The main web-page has seen no updates for years, so currently the only stuff that's there on the language as it currently stands is an 8-page sketch of a sketch. Now there is something resembling a full grammar, which isn't actually accessible through the main page, but it's rather out-dated-looking; I would really like to see this turned into a PDF, and maybe expanded with more stuff on the verbal morphology

I'm not really expecting my griping to achieve anything, and of course this could still be a WIP for Doug, or maybe he just hasn't had time. Still I really like how the language looks and I want more so this absence of activity is bugging me.
Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Creyeditor » Sat 09 Dec 2017, 19:04

shimobaatar wrote:
I head a similar problem once, because the "first unread post" button is exactly where the "unsubscribe topic" button is, if there are no unread posts. So I accidentally clicked the wrong button.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » Sat 09 Dec 2017, 22:03

Creyeditor wrote:
Sat 09 Dec 2017, 19:04
shimobaatar wrote:
I head a similar problem once, because the "first unread post" button is exactly where the "unsubscribe topic" button is, if there are no unread posts. So I accidentally clicked the wrong button.
Hmm, well, I don't use the "first unread post" button either.

I'm not very worried, though, since this only seems to have happened once.
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » Mon 11 Dec 2017, 08:33

This Monday may be summarised as follows.
All German public transport, including planes: "WHAT? SNOW?! AARGH!"
Me: "Yes, snow, ta-duh. ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS? THIS WAS INEVITABLE IN D E C E M B E R, DON'T ACT SURPRISED. "

*Insert Edward Elric ranting about being called short.*
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
Evynova
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Evynova » Mon 11 Dec 2017, 12:41

I'd honestly rather have snow than this horrendous weather we're having down here in Belgium. The wind is strong enough to send bins flying down the street and with the copious rain, my computer, along with all of my notes, are this close to being ruined and taking my academic year along in its downfall. The weather is not bad enough to have public transport be cancelled, but enough to have massive delays that will obviously have everyone wait outside in the wind.

How bad is the snow, though? It did snow down here yesterday too, but it all melted into this horrible slippery, mushy crap overnight.
Frislander
runic
runic

Post by Frislander » Mon 11 Dec 2017, 14:16

Britain's snowy weather has been weird af and totally not like how it is normally, such that Cambridge (in the south) got a foot of snow yesterday morning while I (who is currently back home in the north) didn't see any of that until last night.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Mon 11 Dec 2017, 18:42

Frislander wrote:
Mon 11 Dec 2017, 14:16
Britain's snowy weather has been weird af and totally not like how it is normally, such that Cambridge (in the south) got a foot of snow yesterday morning while I (who is currently back home in the north) didn't see any of that until last night.
We've got none at all so far where I live in North Yorkshire [:P]

Not sure how many members of the board are into rum, but I'm looking at getting someone a really nice bottle for Christmas, but I'm more of a vodka and whisky person, so I was wondering if anyone might know of some really nice rums that might do as a Christmas present.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Xonen

Post by Xonen » Mon 11 Dec 2017, 19:14

Egerius wrote:
Mon 11 Dec 2017, 08:33
Me: "Yes, snow, ta-duh. ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS? THIS WAS INEVITABLE IN D E C E M B E R, DON'T ACT SURPRISED. "
Living in Helsinki, I'm perplexed by thought of snow being "inevitable" in December. Based on the last ten years or so, I'd say it's probable in February and maybe (late) January, and possible during pretty much any month of the year with the possible exception of August, but apart from the occasional patches that form on colder surfaces and melt pretty much immediately, actually not that likely in December. I guess everything not being pitch black and soaking wet would ruin the whole darkest-month-of-the-year thing.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Tue 12 Dec 2017, 02:08

Sorry to post a few days late.

Round my way, we had a glorious snowfall Saturday.
And gloriously early, too.
Last year, our first piffling flurry was 17th Dece.

Hopefully, this will be a year where December feels more like a 'traditional' (i.e. cold, snowy) Yuletide than of late.

On another note, this book looks like a lot of fun:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/ ... -landscape

A curious zoology of Obscure Geographical terms - W00T, I say!
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Tue 12 Dec 2017, 02:24

Lao Kou wrote:
Sat 09 Dec 2017, 08:36
Thrice Xandvii wrote:
Sat 09 Dec 2017, 08:27
who is that?
Johnny Hallyday. French icon.

I've mentioned elsewhere in the forum now deceased celebrities, namely 張國榮 (Leslie Cheung) and 梅豔芳 (Anita Mui), for whom a posthumous blibbit registers little because we live in other places in the world.
A year or two ago, I was looking for some French covers of old rock-n-roll tunes. I chanced upon this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDACyyvRTaY

I could not stop hitting the youtubes for more and more from this guy.

I only wish I could replay the intro to the above link in reverse, to see Monsieur Hallyday blast off to his rock-n-roll etoile.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Tue 12 Dec 2017, 12:31

Lambuzhao wrote:
Tue 12 Dec 2017, 02:08
On another note, this book looks like a lot of fun:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/ ... -landscape

A curious zoology of Obscure Geographical terms - W00T, I say!
Why, thank you most kindly good sir for this!

Ammil. Always wondered what to call that. We don't get a lot of glacial valleys around here. Or lochs. But ammil, we get that from time to time!

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
Xonen

Post by Xonen » Tue 12 Dec 2017, 19:54

Yesterday, I wrote:
Mon 11 Dec 2017, 19:14
Egerius wrote:
Mon 11 Dec 2017, 08:33
Living in Helsinki, I'm perplexed by thought of snow being "inevitable" in December. Based on the last ten years or so, I'd say it's probable in February and maybe (late) January, and possible during pretty much any month of the year with the possible exception of August, but apart from the occasional patches that form on colder surfaces and melt pretty much immediately, actually not that likely in December. I guess everything not being pitch black and soaking wet would ruin the whole darkest-month-of-the-year thing.
Of course, today we got some fairly heavy snowfall, then. However, it did start melting immediately afterwards, so now everything is pitch black, soaking wet and covered in slush. #visithelsinki