CHANGES TO THE HOUSE RULES - All users, please read!

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
sangi39

CHANGES TO THE HOUSE RULES - All users, please read!

Post by sangi39 » Mon 18 Sep 2017, 17:47

A NOTE TO ALL USERS

After a fair amount of discussion over the past month or so amongst the moderators and Aszev, the House Rules have been amended in a number of areas.

The rules have been changed so that a) they might be clearer to all users, non-moderators and moderators alike, b) users will have a greater ability to report posts they feel break the rules and c) moderators might have an easier time in monitoring and moderating the board.

The changes in rules shouldn't affect the way the board functions and it doesn't give the moderators any additional or more extreme powers (they should just make our job a little bit easier*). The changes were mostly aimed at clearing up any loose ends and gaps in the rules (as they were formulated back in 2013 when the new CBB came into existence) that came to light in recent months.

As has always been the case, moderators, and especially Aszev, have the final say in any matter concerning the board, but our main goal is that this remain a calm and friendly environment for all users, no matter who they are.

As always, please familiarise yourself with the rules, and have a good time [:)] (and please feel free to comment here if you'd like)

Thank you on behalf of Aszev and the other moderators,

sangi39

*thankfully, because most users are quite nice on this board, we don't have a hugely difficult job anyway
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: CHANGES TO THE HOUSE RULES - All users, please read!

Post by elemtilas » Mon 18 Sep 2017, 19:16

sangi39 wrote:Could all users please read this post and then check out the House Rules afterwards.

Feel free to comment if you would like [:)]
Thanks for the update, but ... What's changed?

I am actually curious. Apart from the Posting Images Rule, which was posted today, I don't see where any other Rules have been edited since their original post dates in like 2013 or so. I don't see any strikeouts or other evidence of what's changed.

Also, are we still doing ranks and so forth? There are a number of (relatively newish) folks here now who have certainly done enough to earn one or several. If they're not going to be done anymore, perhaps they should all just be done away with entirely?

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Mon 18 Sep 2017, 20:29

elemtilas wrote:
sangi39 wrote:Could all users please read this post and then check out the House Rules afterwards.

Feel free to comment if you would like [:)]
Thanks for the update, but ... What's changed?

I am actually curious. Apart from the Posting Images Rule, which was posted today, I don't see where any other Rules have been edited since their original post dates in like 2013 or so. I don't see any strikeouts or other evidence of what's changed.

Also, are we still doing ranks and so forth? There are a number of (relatively newish) folks here now who have certainly done enough to earn one or several. If they're not going to be done anymore, perhaps they should all just be done away with entirely?
The rules on posting images were actually added in back in March(?) but I had to split the "House Rules" apart from "Breaking the Rules" which meant adding in a new post, editing the entire thread and blah blah blah.

There haven't been any huge changes, with the biggest one being an expansion of the existing "no religious topics rule" to include real-world politics, gender and sexuality issues, physical and mental health topics, etc. but not actually banning them (as a result, I think we might have lifted the ban on real-world religious topics). So there isn't an outright ban on those topics, or any topic really, but we have tried to outline what we feel constitutes healthy discussion (we've similarly tried to advocate "not talking past each other" which had become a concern in a number of threads).

We also removed a rule that prohibited the discussion of real-world issues that had, during the time of the old CBB (a lot of rules being carried over from there), been an issue, but a) were technically being broken regularly anyway but were harmless enough to ignore in the long-term, and b) should now be covered by the wording of the updated rules.

The "don't put words into people's mouths" section was also expanded somewhat, and we've changed the board definition of trolling a tad.

The first rule, now being "be civil", was one of the first things we changed in what appeared to be a growing trend of threads devolving into unhealthy arguments, as opposed to healthy discussions, as well as threads turning into pages of "yeah, but [ignoring what the previous user said] this!" that would leave threads going in circles (see the thread on "ambiguous writing system classifications" as a good example of this).

The major aim of the new rules is to make it clear to all users that what we want in this forum is a civil and friendly atmosphere.

As for ranks, as far as I know we do still use them, but since moderators, much like other users, don't follow everything going on in the board, we don't always notice when someone might qualify. Also, IIRC, to become a member of a group you need to be invited by a group leader, which not all mods are, and some group leaders aren't mods, so it requires communication with group leaders rather than with mods, who then have to go over whether the user in question qualifies. I've been asked about it by a couple of members, found that they might qualify for a certain group and past on a message to the relevant group leaders, but after that it's out of my hands (I think).
Just one time.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Tue 19 Sep 2017, 02:20

sangi39 wrote:There haven't been any huge changes, with the biggest one being an expansion of the existing "no religious topics rule" to include real-world politics, gender and sexuality issues, physical and mental health topics, etc. but not actually banning them (as a result, I think we might have lifted the ban on real-world religious topics). So there isn't an outright ban on those topics, or any topic really, but we have tried to outline what we feel constitutes healthy discussion (we've similarly tried to advocate "not talking past each other" which had become a concern in a number of threads).
I see. Well, I think a strong NCNC rule might have served better, but I guess we'll see where the clarifications lead! Other similar forums have such rules and they've worked well in the past. Temptation otherwise is too great, even when such topics are broached and responded to in good faith. Results are often disastrous and usually lead to hard feelings.
We also removed a rule that prohibited the discussion of real-world issues that had, during the time of the old CBB (a lot of rules being carried over from there), been an issue, but a) were technically being broken regularly anyway but were harmless enough to ignore in the long-term, and b) should now be covered by the wording of the updated rules.
I wasn't around for that. Perhaps those mysterious issues have become innocuous enough to ignore.
The "don't put words into people's mouths" section was also expanded somewhat,
Clarified. I always appreciated this rule.
and we've changed the board definition of trolling a tad.
Understood.
The first rule, now being "be civil", was one of the first things we changed in what appeared to be a growing trend of threads devolving into unhealthy arguments, as opposed to healthy discussions, as well as threads turning into pages of "yeah, but [ignoring what the previous user said] this!" that would leave threads going in circles (see the thread on "ambiguous writing system classifications" as a good example of this).

The major aim of the new rules is to make it clear to all users that what we want in this forum is a civil and friendly atmosphere.
Well, I'd rather that than a load of politically charred wasteland any day of the week. Twice on Sundays. If I want that kind of discourse, there are plenty of places for it. To be honest (and you know my history here with this kind of thing), I don't come here to be bombarded with politics. This is and ought to be more a respite from the horrors of the primary world.

As for ranks, as far as I know we do still use them, but since moderators, much like other users, don't follow everything going on in the board, we don't always notice when someone might qualify.
Excellent. Well, I'll polish off the list I'd submitted last year or so and amend forthwithly! Who has taken on the task of dealing with rank submissions? (I believe Ossicone used to, once upon a time.)
Also, IIRC, to become a member of a group you need to be invited by a group leader, which not all mods are, and some group leaders aren't mods, so it requires communication with group leaders rather than with mods, who then have to go over whether the user in question qualifies. I've been asked about it by a couple of members, found that they might qualify for a certain group and past on a message to the relevant group leaders, but after that it's out of my hands (I think).
All that's above my pay grade! I've no knowledge of what "groups" are or who their leaders are. Maybe that could be clarified as well?

Thanks for the clarifications and explanations!

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Tue 19 Sep 2017, 02:37

elemtilas wrote:
sangi39 wrote:There haven't been any huge changes, with the biggest one being an expansion of the existing "no religious topics rule" to include real-world politics, gender and sexuality issues, physical and mental health topics, etc. but not actually banning them (as a result, I think we might have lifted the ban on real-world religious topics). So there isn't an outright ban on those topics, or any topic really, but we have tried to outline what we feel constitutes healthy discussion (we've similarly tried to advocate "not talking past each other" which had become a concern in a number of threads).
I see. Well, I think a strong NCNC rule might have served better, but I guess we'll see where the clarifications lead! Other similar forums have such rules and they've worked well in the past. Temptation otherwise is too great, even when such topics are broached and responded to in good faith. Results are often disastrous and usually lead to hard feelings.
We had considered it, after a few reports from Eldin claiming an NCNC rule, but the mods came to a compromise. It's not quite an NCNC rule, but hopefully it comes close enough while still allowing individual users a degree of freedom [:)]

elemtilas wrote:
I wasn't around for that. Perhaps those mysterious issues have become innocuous enough to ignore.
elemtilas wrote:
The "don't put words into people's mouths" section was also expanded somewhat,
Clarified. I always appreciated this rule.
It's proven useful in the conlanging and conworlding forums, but elsewhere in the board it seems to be taken into account somewhat less elsewhere on the board. We're hoping this makes our stance on the matter a little more clear.

elemtilas wrote:
and we've changed the board definition of trolling a tad.
Understood.
[:)]

elemtilas wrote:

Well, I'd rather that than a load of politically charred wasteland any day of the week. Twice on Sundays. If I want that kind of discourse, there are plenty of places for it. To be honest (and you know my history here with this kind of thing), I don't come here to be bombarded with politics. This is and ought to be more a respite from the horrors of the primary world.
That was one of my thoughts, at least (on this matter I can't speak for the other mods). There's a time and a place for heated arguments and I'd prefer this wasn't one of those places. As the rules state, this affects everyone, and we'll try to apply this rule with as little bias as possible (if it looks like we're failing on that ground, please feel free to PM a mod. At least for me, discussion is important when it seems like we're not doing our jobs right).

elemtilas wrote:
As for ranks, as far as I know we do still use them, but since moderators, much like other users, don't follow everything going on in the board, we don't always notice when someone might qualify.
Excellent. Well, I'll polish off the list I'd submitted last year or so and amend forthwithly! Who has taken on the task of dealing with rank submissions? (I believe Ossicone used to, once upon a time.)
Uhhh... good question. At least since Dormouse and I have been made mods, little seems to have been mentioned of ranks and who should handle them. I've gotten a few PMs (well, one from Adarain and one from DesEsseintes), but other than that I'm not entirely sure most users are aware of them (I certainly was only vaguely aware of them until I was made a moderator).

At the very least it's something we'll have to bring up [:)]

Also, IIRC, to become a member of a group you need to be invited by a group leader, which not all mods are, and some group leaders aren't mods, so it requires communication with group leaders rather than with mods, who then have to go over whether the user in question qualifies. I've been asked about it by a couple of members, found that they might qualify for a certain group and past on a message to the relevant group leaders, but after that it's out of my hands (I think).
All that's above my pay grade! I've no knowledge of what "groups" are or who their leaders are. Maybe that could be clarified as well?[/quote]

"Groups", as far as I understood them, are what you fall into when you're awarded a certain "rank" (at least in most cases?), and only group leaders can add members to those groups (which means that only those users can award ranks). Aszev told me that they're "the only one who can change the usergroups of users" but it's been brought up by other users so little, I guess we've just not got round to it.

elemtilas wrote:Thanks for the clarifications and explanations!
Welcome as always [:)] Since I became a mod, a degree of transparency has always been something I've tried to achieve [:)]
Just one time.
Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » Tue 19 Sep 2017, 04:03

Good updates, Sangi. I especially liked "Finally, don't assume that what somebody adds to their conworld reflects what they actually believe, think or feel". A lot of us like to create dystopias.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 56,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Tue 19 Sep 2017, 04:04

Khemehekis wrote:Good updates, Sangi. I especially liked "Finally, don't assume that what somebody adds to their conworld reflects what they actually believe, think or feel". A lot of us like to create dystopias.
IIRC, that was actually in the original 2013 rules, although there might have been a rewording to make it more explicit [:)]
Just one time.
Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » Tue 19 Sep 2017, 04:08

sangi39 wrote: IIRC, that was actually in the original 2013 rules, although there might have been a rewording to make it more explicit [:)]
Really? I've read the House Rules many times before, and I've never seen that part before.
♂♥♂♀

sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Tue 19 Sep 2017, 04:10

Khemehekis wrote:
sangi39 wrote: IIRC, that was actually in the original 2013 rules, although there might have been a rewording to make it more explicit [:)]
Really? I've read the House Rules many times before, and I've never seen that part before.
I could easily be wrong. I've had various edits on my laptop for the past couple of months but actually never saved the original House Rules [:P] (I wasn't sure an update/edit would go ahead, so why save them?)
Just one time.
Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » Mon 15 Jan 2018, 10:58

I found a potential typo in the House Rules:
This includes the creation of "game" threads which invole posting or changing a only single word or less.
♂♥♂♀