Are you a conlanger or a conworlder first?

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Are you a conlanger or a conworlder first?

Post by Khemehekis » Thu 05 Oct 2017, 06:34

I have described myself as a conworlder first and a conlanger second. There seem to be two main types of people on fora like this: people like me, and people who are conlangers first and conworlders second (or don't conworld at all).

Some people have a fictional world and want its inhabitants to speak languages. Others love linguistics and languages and want to invent languages, and then create concultures so they have a setting for these languages.

Scrappers, in particular, seem to be mostly people who are conlangers first and conworlders second. My focus is my planets and the countries therein: if I scrap Kankonian, my poor Kankonians will be left without a country to speak. I don't think I've ever seen someone so attached to his/her conpeople be a scrapper.

Some posters, like DanH, don't have a conworld at all. DanH said he conlanged to learn how languages work. Other people may be auxlangers, or engelangers, or experiment with personal languages. These all fall into the second camp.

So which type are you? A conlanger first . . . or a conworlder first?
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 55,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
LinguistCat
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Re: Are you a conlanger or a conworlder first?

Post by LinguistCat » Thu 05 Oct 2017, 07:53

I like conlangs a lot but I'm definitely more about conworlding generally. I won't make a conlang unless I have a world to put it in and (fictional) people to speak it.
esoanem
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by esoanem » Thu 05 Oct 2017, 14:51

I think I'm primarily a conlanger but it's pretty close for me. I think I'm a little more likely to do a conlang without a conworld to go along with it than I am to do a conworld without a conlang but, well, in most cases I'll do both and it's not always clear which came first.
My pronouns are they/them/their

:gbr: native | :esp: fluentish | :deu: learning | :fra: learning | :rus: learning | :ell: lapsed | :navi: lapsed | :con: making a bunch
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander » Thu 05 Oct 2017, 16:38

I'm pretty much just like esoanem in being primarily conlang-focused, though I myself pretty much always have some idea as to the culture of the speakers as I'm creating the language, but I don't have much talent for the scale of world-building required to create whole planets with alien ecosystems and environments, nor am I that good at doing multiple languages in a single conworld (I struggle to work on more than one project at a time, and to create a satisfying language to accompany another language in-world, especially with regards to historical derivation and the effects of language contact, hence why Frislandian is set on an island).
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Thu 05 Oct 2017, 16:55

Conworlder first
Image Ӯсцӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image ʾEšd Yatvṛḵažaẇ (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
k1234567890y
runic
runic

Post by k1234567890y » Thu 05 Oct 2017, 17:08

Originally I conlang for conworld, but soon conlanging replaced conworlding and now i am mostly a conlanger and my conworlding ideas often get questioned when I take parts in Sahar...
Click here and here to know more about me.

夢見るオンナノコ(Dreaming girls)
だれでもプリンセス(All of them are princesses)
恋するオンナノコ(Girls in love)
ホンキ!ムテキ!カンペキ!(Serious! Invincible! Perfect!)
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem » Thu 05 Oct 2017, 17:48

I am definitely a conworlder first, and my conlangs tend to be relegated to naming languages, as it were.
Conworld: Mto
:con: : Kuvian
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd » Thu 05 Oct 2017, 18:28

I never undestood the link...
I conlang for and in real life...
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Thu 05 Oct 2017, 18:40

lsd wrote:I never undestood the link...
What link don't you understand?

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
KaiTheHomoSapien
sinic
sinic

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien » Thu 05 Oct 2017, 18:50

The link is pretty salient, at least for those of us who create artlangs. A language must accompany a culture, a people, a country, a world, etc.

Actually I started out as a conworlder when I was a kid. It was my interest in maps that started it. I would draw maps of fictional worlds, countries, states, and even detailed city maps (those coincided with my obsession with Sim City and Minecraft and other world-creating games). But even then other than occasionally creating non-English-sounding country names (I believe I did create words for "city" and "mountain" and such), it wasn't until I was 11 and studying Latin that I "converted" to conlanging. I've been fascinated with linguistics and languages ever since. I still enjoy conworlding and that's a necessary part of conlanging for me, but the conworld serves the conlang rather than the other way around.
Don't live to conlang; conlang to live.

My conlang: Image Lihmelinyan
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd » Thu 05 Oct 2017, 18:58

Conlang+conworld...
Best conworlds contain only fakelangs...
And, imho, a language linked to a conworld is reduced to a mocklang...
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » Thu 05 Oct 2017, 22:43

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote:Actually I started out as a conworlder when I was a kid. It was my interest in maps that started it. I would draw maps of fictional worlds, countries, states, and even detailed city maps (those coincided with my obsession with Sim City [...]).
Sim City? That's where it all started for me, as well!
But I wasn't that much on drawing maps, but money or creating mediocre con-scripts (of which I have one survivour, on a transcript made in 2008).
I only began conlanging in 2011, after the exposure to Wenedyk and the web version of the Language Construction Kit.

And here I am now, developing two conworlds and countless conlangs (I have ideas for ten at the moment).
My philosophy: “The conlang and the conworld serve each other, like ying and yang.”
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
k1234567890y
runic
runic

Post by k1234567890y » Fri 06 Oct 2017, 01:14

Egerius wrote: My philosophy: “The conlang and the conworld serve each other, like ying and yang.”
Really...but nowadays I am more a conlanger than a generalized conworlder
Click here and here to know more about me.

夢見るオンナノコ(Dreaming girls)
だれでもプリンセス(All of them are princesses)
恋するオンナノコ(Girls in love)
ホンキ!ムテキ!カンペキ!(Serious! Invincible! Perfect!)
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Fri 06 Oct 2017, 01:27

lsd wrote:
Conlang+conworld...
Best conworlds contain only fakelangs...
And, imho, a language linked to a conworld is reduced to a mocklang...
I see. Thanks for clarifying!

Curious, though: why the utterly negative perspective? One might say bordering on the pejorative, even.

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas » Fri 06 Oct 2017, 01:32

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote:The link is pretty salient, at least for those of us who create artlangs. A language must accompany a culture, a people, a country, a world, etc.
Right. Langue & monde: like fish & chips or butter & bread or mango & salt. Great things just go great together!

(Threw the last in there for our Pinoy brethren, if any are lurking about.)
Actually I started out as a conworlder when I was a kid. It was my interest in maps that started it. I would draw maps of fictional worlds, countries, states, and even detailed city maps (those coincided with my obsession with Sim City and Minecraft and other world-creating games). But even then other than occasionally creating non-English-sounding country names (I believe I did create words for "city" and "mountain" and such), it wasn't until I was 11 and studying Latin that I "converted" to conlanging. I've been fascinated with linguistics and languages ever since. I still enjoy conworlding and that's a necessary part of conlanging for me, but the conworld serves the conlang rather than the other way around.
I started with worlds and it's been worlds all the way. Language definitely serves and is served by culture, so both are required.

Reyzadren
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Reyzadren » Fri 06 Oct 2017, 07:06

I am mainly a conworlder, and conlanging is just a natural extension/component of that. The conworld has its own language(s), after all.

Initially when I was a kid, conlanging came first and it remained independent from conworlding, though at some point, both activities became intertwined.
Image Soundcloud Profile | Image griuskant conlang
Curlyjimsam
sinic
sinic

Post by Curlyjimsam » Fri 06 Oct 2017, 14:51

Essentially I think the world is the main thing, but the languages are a very big part of it (though to begin with they were only a small part). I reckon maybe maybe about 40% of my conworld material is language-related. For certain cultures within the world I've done significantly more work on the languages than anything else, but for others it's more balanced.
Twitter: @jsbaker750
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd » Fri 06 Oct 2017, 15:50

elemtilas wrote:Curious, though: why the utterly negative perspective? One might say bordering on the pejorative, even.
Conlang is a singularity : it is at the same time a totaly virtual object and a real artefact usable in real world (and making their reality for its speakers)…
At the opposite conworld is a virtual mock up with nothing (or so) to do with reality…
linking conlang to conworld denies this special feature that makes conlang a so unique realisation of mind…

At the other hand, it's true, I don't like too much conworld, as I prefer one-shot story to no-ending serials…
For instance, I found the first Star war is enough, Lucas has lost his genius (if so) reusing for ever the same ingredients...
To make belive in a world from scratch in only one sentence is the special skill of great authors... as they make belive on the reality of a language with only two words... And I admire it...

I am not one who encourage escapism in virtual world, when real world is so full of possibilities, and I prefer to use conlang to feel more this world than to escape from it...

Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Creyeditor » Fri 06 Oct 2017, 21:41

When I grew up I was doing conworlding and conlanging, but the conlanging was easier to conserve. Now I am a filler, but primarly a conlanger making a conworld as the home for my conlangs.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :fra: 4 :esp: 4 :ind:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Fri 06 Oct 2017, 22:48

That was so long ago (1979~1981). [:S]
Good Laird, who cares!?

I do both, and have done both for quite some time, m'kay?
[:3]

I am a :con: hoarder, though.
:wat: